web analytics

Bruce Praises Two Stars – One A Manager’s Dream – The Other Blessed With So Much Natural Ability

Steve Bruce, in his press conference today, reported on the injuries and has also praised two specific players.

One was our new signing from MLS club Atlanta United 18 months ago – Miguel Almiron.

Miguel has the pressure off him now and is playing very well, enjoying himself, and scoring goals.

And Bruce, not for the first time, has said Miguel is an excellent professional.

Bruce always rated Jonjo Shelvey highly, and he is now getting what he expected from Jonjo, who has also started to score goals.

Jonjo has always had fantastic natural ability, but it’s not always apparent throughout the season.

But he is starting to deliver those exquisite passes on the pitch, spraying the ball all over the place.

It’s just great to watch.

Jonjo Shelvey – starting to impress the manager

Here’s what Bruce had to say about two of his stars in his press conference today:

“Almirón is a manager’s dream.”

“He’s bright, he’s tough, he trains every day and he’s been carrying a thigh injury, but doesn’t want to tell anybody.”

“The last 20 minutes on Sunday he was limping about the pitch. In 18 months, he’s proved to be a really top, top player.”

“We had an awful start and when you go behind twice, if you look at the statistics, it’s very rare you come back from it.”

“I was pleased with the way we responded and I thought some of our football leading up to the first goal was terrific. I think a draw was the right result.”

“I think there’s a certain resilience in the squad to being written off and they enjoy the challenge of proving people wrong.”

“That’s pretty apparent when you work with the players. It’s important we don’t take our foot off the gas and we try to achieve that top ten finish.”

“If there’s anybody who has taken on board what we require it’s Jonjo.”

“He’s blessed with a natural ability. He can see a pass that others can’t and deliver it, he can score a goal. “

“Physically and mentally now he’s bought into everything so fair play to him.”

Now many fans expecting much out of the game tomorrow at Manchester City.

What Will Newcastle's Result Be At Manchester City On Wednesday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• IrishRob

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:26 PM

Just to stop the trolls…..

• Harrogate mag

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:32 PM

Anybody know what guisborough like this time of year

• RobLeenio

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:42 PM

““Physically and mentally now he’s bought into everything so fair play to him.””

Does that mean that he hadn’t done so previously? That might explain quite a lot.

One of the most talented players to ever put on a black and white shirt, which makes so much of his time here all the more frustrating.

It’s been truly fantastic over the last couple of games to see him playing further up the pitch and creating chances / having shots. His interplay with Gayle and Joel for the second goal vs West Ham was excellent, as was his assist for the Lazaro goal vs Bournemouth.

If he’s recognised he needs to be further up the pitch and not sitting in deep midfield spraying Hollywood passes around then fantastic, it’s all I’ve ever wanted from him.

• ThirdStripeBlack

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:42 PM

Hello All,
    Pretty quiet on the takeover front lately. What do we make of it? The lads are doing well. Good to see. We’re back in lockdown here in Melbourne, Australia. Dang!

• Ron Knee

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:43 PM

The Independent@Independent

UK to resume arms sales to Saudi Arabia despite ‘possible’ war crimes in Yemen, government says

• Rotonda heights

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:44 PM

Looking more and more as if Hatice Cengiz and Mauriss are Qatari plants.
    They really play dirty don’t they.

• ThirdStripeBlack

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:44 PM

Can I add—before anyone jumps down my throat—I’m in no way comparing our state of affairs to the rest of the world. We are the luckiest ar$e-backwards nation in the world through all this. Merely wanted to say hello, Old Friends.
    HWTL

• The Hit Man & Her

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:47 PM

Well its a fact that although it’s a nufc blog and supposedly an open forum of free speech and debate that if you don’t follow the mass view like a lamb, and offer up an opinion no matter how politely couched, you will face bullying from certain quarters, some of whom I swear have previous for complaining about arguments etc ruining the blog. I haven’t seen anything remotely controversial from kev – no swearimg no abuse of others for their thoughts, yet he is reviled and deliberately I would say misunderstood to embellish the idea he is divisive. It’s embarrassing to see the blog come back time and again on him as he just asks not to be taken out of context and constantly apologises when he is. What a pathetic show. If he’s attacking you or being out of order give him some back yes, but if you simply don’t agree with him, talk about something else.

• The Hit Man & Her

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:49 PM

Btw on jibs hotlinks – i avoid them like the plague mostly because I don’t want to subsequently see anatomical enhancement offers and industrial solvent supplier ads every site I visit afterwards.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:51 PM

THAH

Not so much controversy, just the telling people what to do and think can be a bit sanctamonious.

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:52 PM

ThirdStripeBlack

Did you not see our marquee signing the other week? We got Motherwell’s finest shot-stopper on a free. We’d never go in for that calibre of player under Ashley: free transfers are too expensive. It can only mean the deal’s done and we’re just waiting for the announcement, right?

Or maybe not…

• TyneMouth

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:58 PM

I try to keep up with developments and breaking news related to NUFC.

Over the last decade, or so, this blog has been my first port of call. However, I’m sad to say I enough is enough!

Last week Dr Ed posted a warning that certain ‘contributors’ were violating the Blog’s code of conduct, and if it continued they would be penalised!

Dr Ed’s request doesn’t seem to have much of an effect!

There are many noticeable absentees amongst the number of regular posters to this blog. I don’t think that’s simply coincidental.

Please, please don’t feed the trolls! Protect the Blog.

You don’t know what you’ve got, till it’s gone!

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:59 PM

Thanks Hit Man, not here to attack anyone but I get the impression you have probably realised that 🙂 really appreciate you standing up for me. I’m trying to just ignore it all in the hope people get bored of insulting me and move on.

• ThirdStripeBlack

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:00 PM

Hey Kevin Vegan,
    Yes that made me curious too. I wouldn’t pretend to have the slightest clue about the ins and outs of transfers during an impeding-will-it-won’t-it transfer of ownership.
    Not sure what that one proves.

• Online Guy

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:01 PM

There is one man at the FA Premier league that will be doing all he can to stop the takeover ..who is he ?

David Dein.

Former Arsenal Chairman and hater of Newcastle United.

Sir John Hall made a statement when he took over at Newcastle
    ” We want to be one of the top clubs in Europe etc” and One David Dein said ” who the hell does John Hall think he is ” !

Laughing at Newcastle and Laughing at Sir John was unnecessary and uncalled for but Dein couldn’t help himself ..pouring scorn on Newcastle United .

David Dein is the ambassador for the Premier league and will be pulling every stroke he can to delay the takeover and get it stopped

That’s what Newcastle United are up against

David Dein ..detests us , he has put the boot in over the years, I would say he has never changed and would love to kill the deal off…Arsenal fan and very influential.

Piers Morgan will be his mouth piece in all this and of the same strain.

It’s all about jealousy .

• Mag52

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:05 PM

Use your nut Vegan.
    We need three goalies – right ?
    We have Dubravka and Darlow, and, reading between the lines, Woodman will be off to pastures new.
    So, with the continued uncertainty regarding the takeover, it makes sense to start preparations for the next season, the first of which is to make sure we have three goalies on the books.

• Northumbrian

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:07 PM

Anyone know what Ashley’s private jet has for is call sign?.

• Online Guy

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:09 PM

The corrupt powers that be know what Newcastle United can become and are keeping us down ..stopping us thriving ..stopping us flying ..depressing a Geordie nation .

I hope someone at the Premier league grows a pair and makes the decision in our favour.

• geordietom

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:10 PM

northumbrian …

i think its dough boy S/D 1 … 😀

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:11 PM

ThirdStripeBlack

I wouldn’t say that single factor makes it a definite “no”, but it seemed like a very unusual decision for a club that is supposedly awaiting a massive decision on its future.

Other issues for me include the length of the saga which is as yet unexplained, the fact that all of our previous takeovers have been a sham, and the fact that these rumours seem to have been fabricated entirely around a single entry in companies house that gives literally nothing away about a takeover at all.

For me though, the single biggest bit of evidence for me is that the club was still posting healthy profits up to the last time the accounts were published, so it’s a been a great source of both direct income for Ashley and advertising for his other businesses.

• Northumbrian

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:16 PM

Wasn’t him then.
    😉

• ThirdStripeBlack

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:19 PM

Vegan,
    Boy I hope you’re wrong, but I hear your points. I bet even YOU hope you’re wrong! ?

Online Guy
    Interesting points about David Dein. Definitely agree that the likes of a declining Arsenal losing their shine wouldn’t want to wake the sleeping giant of the North. Not the only club either.

2020-What a bloody year, eh?

• cleveleysbob

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:23 PM

As far as I can tell, there are absolutely no grounds for the PL. to fail the O&D test.

Do they have the money to take the club forward? – yes tick

Are any of them guilty of any criminal activities? – no tick

Are there any proven associations that would lead to criminal prosecution in this Country? – no tick.

Question marks regarding piracy of BeIN would cause issues, all dealt with. – tick

No individuals on UK gov human rights list. – tick

U.K. gov resumes arms sales, all OK. – tick

Job done. #CANS

• the crown princes nashers

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:24 PM

well put it this way, if david dein wishes to try and stop the takeover I hope he and his cronies have very very deep pockets to bail there arses out but theres more the supporters will give anyone whos not backed this bid stick they will never believe in and rightly so this could turn into a very bad day for football this the longer it goes on

• Thump

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:24 PM

Highly recommend Caulkin’s latest Pod on the Tyne. Matt Slater (another author at The Athletic) went on to give some context, probably most importantly as a none fan.

Starts around 23 minutes if you don’t want to hear the post match review.

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:24 PM

Mag52

We still have Woodman for now, and I’m pretty sure we still have Jake Turner and Daniel Langley in the reserves and Will Brown and Ollie Marshall in the youth team too. It’s incredibly rare that a team needs 3 keepers in a season anyway and the third choice is almost always a substantially weaker option to be used if all else fails. Signing up a 3td/4th choice keeper at this stage makes no sense to me at all while the rest are all still at the club. Missing out on Gillespie on a free transfer – who will probably never play anyway – is hardly the end of the world for us.

I’d be very surprised if the club was thinking about anything other than how much we might get for Darlow and Woodman in the summer, with a view to bring Gillespie in as 2nd choice and promote one of the youth players as 3rd choice.

This really doesn’t look good for the “Saudi billions imminent” narrative from where I’m sitting.

• cleveleysbob

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:25 PM

No problemo my little chick a dees, mucho happiness all round- HWTL 🙂 🙂

• IrishRob

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:25 PM

Its G-MATO

• Geordie-john

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:27 PM

Northumbrian

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:07 PM

How about Greedy COCK-ney Fat Twat or G C F T for short LOL

• Swanny

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:28 PM

Speaking on my own behalf I’ve got to admit I understand and take onboard the consensus of opinion regarding the criticism of KV.

Discussing differing points of view, which at times lead to disagreement, should never result in Personal attacks.

Wether I take exception to KV opinions, does not excuse my poor behaviour in resorting to personal jibes.

Respect

• the crown princes nashers

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:30 PM

what will be the very point on having a PL if you cant compete with the top 6, this would bring huge question marks about the league if this is blocked which I dont think they have the balls to do but if they do it wont just stop there, the fans the city will be up in arms over it and everything the PL gets is well deserved in my book

• Northumbrian

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:30 PM

Rob,, was that meant for me#28?.
    If so thank you.

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:30 PM

ThirdStripeBlack

I’ve never wanted to be wrong so badly in my life, but I think the likelihood of that is decreasing by the day, and after 14 weeks I can’t see that we’re going to get the takeover we deserve for our club this time around.

• cleveleysbob

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:33 PM

KV, you have every right to your opinion, that should be cherished, however, when you assert comments with the certain force attributed on you last post that the takeover won’t happen, you are inviting many tons of egg on face, 😉

The Qataris have invested millions in trying to stop this deal, with help from several newspapers, some of which they at least part own, they’ve orchestrated a massive negative campaign, many have been taken in by, even on this biased pro Newcastle site.

However, you have to understand the Arab mentality and particularly in Saudi, if you think for one moment they would just walk away and not fight this to the last drop, you’re crazy, they would never allow such a massive loss of face. – this deal is done, believe me, or not you choose, remember eggs/face urgh! 🙂

• Optimistic prime

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:33 PM

Carol injured, that’s gotta be fake news

• cleveleysbob

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:36 PM

The daft thing is, if the Qataris just chucked in a few more quid, with what they’ve already spent, they could have bought us and saved all the hassle 😉

• toon22

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:36 PM

It’s not the first time posters have taken a dislike to someone who won’t be bullied into going along with the narrative they do cling to
    To them they think everyone should tow the party line

Hiya JIB
    It’s going to be a right laugh watching the PR this time
    Divint worry it’ll all blow over

Not this time

• Optimistic prime

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:37 PM

If Charnley is involved in the takeover I can understand the 14 week delay.

• toon22

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:38 PM

OP

I’ve a theory for us getting Carrol in
    Imho the turds decided if he’s going to pay all that money on medical facilities he wants to get his money’s worth
    Carroll’s here to make sure they’ve always got plenty to do

😉