web analytics

Forward Pledges To Show ‘Improvements’ Next Season But Will It Be At Striker?

After the scoreless draw at Brighton on Monday, Steve Bruce hinted that a new striker could be in his summer plans.

It’s hardly a secret that Newcastle will have to focus on bringing in some goal scorers this summers. In fact, that was also the plan in January, but the club maintained that they couldn’t find one that would improve the side.

So three loan players were brought on board, and Bruce moved forth with the four strikers he had despite three of them – Andy Carroll, Dwight Gayle, and Yoshinori Muto – being injured at the time the winter window closed.

So it was up to Joelinton to continue trying to adapt to the number nine role, a task that he was finding increasingly difficult. But Bruce finally relented after the 1-0 defeat at Crystal Palace and switched the formation to a flat back four while adding another attacker upfront.

It also happened to coincide with Dwight Gayle returning from his latest injury battle of this season. Gayle led the line against Burnley with Almiron playing behind him while Joelinton was pushed to the left.

That’s basically been Bruce’s thinking since then. He’s preferred the natural poaching abilities of Gayle upfront and generally played Joelinton on either side.

But even that’s changed over the past three matches where Joelinton, who previously started 32 of 34 league fixtures, has been limited to late substitute appearances.

Bruce may now see our record signing as a wide forward for next season should he still be at the helm. This is what he said after the Brighton match:

“I think we need four or five players to add to the squad of players we’ve got. So, we’ll go to work on that.

“I’ve always said with Jo (Joelinton), I think he’s better playing to a side, that suits him, so it’s quite possible that a center-forward could be on the list, yeah.”

It’s possible that Bruce may have given up on playing Joelinton as an out and out striker. He’s spoken throughout the year about how it’s going to take time for Joelinton to adapt to playing an unfamiliar position in the hardest league in the world.

Perhaps, if Bruce is still on board this summer, he’ll have a reset during the preseason to take stock of where Joelinton is and if he will have another go at striker.

Bruce has seemingly worked tirelessly with Joelinton, instructing him on where he needs to improve to become a better finisher. Joelinton admitted as much recently.

The Chronicle has published some comments the Brazilian made to Premier League Productions just before the Brighton match.

This is what he said about the work he’s put in during this season and in the past:

“Yes, all season he’s demanded this of me, demanded that I needed to be a bit greedier or more selfish. I’ve always got this desire to score goals, to finish and it’s not just Steve Bruce that’s demanding this of me. Other coaches have previously.

“However, if I see a team-mate in a better position, I will always look to pass to them but, also, if I get the chance, I will look to score.

“It’s what the fans want, it’s what the coaches want – a first touch finish – and the goal against Sheffield United was very characteristic of what we’ve been doing in training. You know, for me to be in the area.

“They want me to be there available in the area and finish with one touch. I think that really represents what we’re doing in training and we’re very happy with everything.”

It’ll be very interesting to see where Joelinton gets played next season, whether under Bruce or whoever his replacement is should the takeover get pushed through.

And Joelinton, for his part, has pledged that the fans will see a better player next season:

“The Premier League is the best competition in the world. It’s where the best players play. You have the best teams and the best managers so it was definitely a challenge coming into the Premier League which is so competitive and every game is so disputed.

“But I knew it would be difficult when I came here and I’m happy for the experience and the possibility to settle in and adapt and definitely there will be improvements next season.

“That’s what I hope for and that’s what I’m working hard towards and I’m very happy. I knew it wouldn’t be easy but that’s always been the case in my career and I’ve always worked hard to do well.”

• toon22

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:57 PM

Mike Ashley may have scuppered Newcastle United takeover

“I think some of the things that might put people off which could be put into Mike Ashley’s bin is that, when you’re buying Newcastle United Football Club, if you go into the small print of the accounts – which as you know, I’m no stranger to doing – you’re actually buying 22 different companies.

Which bit do you think hes pretending to sell ?

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:57 PM

You all just can’t help yourselves can you. Unbelievable.

• carltoon

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:57 PM

Ha ha ok, but make sure who you try to persuade, theirs not many Geordies like to be told what to do.

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:58 PM

“It’s quite possible that a centre forward could be on the list”

If it’s not the first thing on the list, things are even worse than I thought.

Still, at least we got that fourth choice keeper sorted nice and early. That was the real priority.

• carltoon

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:58 PM

Sorry, Jail, I’m fumin

• toon22

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:59 PM

KV

The reson 10k people chucked in their STs isnt that they were boycotting the club
    They are just sick of it and have decided they arnt paying to watch the rubbish on offer
    Boycotts were talked about and tried, the turd did everything he could to avoid them
    If hes still here next season he is going to find another 10k at least will have chucked the ST
    Lets see him give away 20k + tickets to the match

• Northumbrian

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:59 PM

Don’t think it will be at no9 next season though, shame for the kid but he’s had a lesson on how the prem is much harder than the bundesliga.

• carltoon

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:59 PM

Well going back to wash the dishes then 🙂

• Tackle from behind

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:01 PM

Carltoon

You can boycott the dishes pet.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:01 PM

From Marca in spain so pinch of salt needed – but there will be a thread about it later so might as well share

NUFC 360
    @NUFC360
    Pochettino was offered millions and a project to do at #NUFC, but it was complicated. Its proposed Saudi owners saw Pochettino as the ideal coach for reaching the big six. Pochettino declined as he wanted to review future offers. [Marca]

• Northumbrian

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:01 PM

Toon22 does the 22 in your name have anything to do with the 22 companies lol.
    😉

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:03 PM

Toon22

So the club is broken up into 22 different companies? Got to be something shady going on there surely. I wonder which of them declared that £35m profit for 2019 and how much the other ones make on top

• Jib

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:03 PM

It’s actually 25 different companies
    21 of them were incorporated in 1997 by SJH
    and are now dormant

• carltoon

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:03 PM

Jail, Duolingo, I’m now on 87 day streak. I’m on fire. 🙂

• hibbit

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:04 PM

i’m boycotting the best breakfast in yorkshire since Ashley bought the House in Yarm,

• Jib

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:04 PM

No need for a pinch of salt
    Marca has great contacts in the sport

• Northumbrian

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:05 PM

Awe jib you burst my joke bubble mate.
    🙁

• carltoon

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:05 PM

Tackle, thanks, your jokes are the only ones I laugh at, 🙂

• carltoon

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:06 PM

Hibbit, just think how slim you’ll be, every cloud .

• Tackle from behind

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:07 PM

Carltoon

Thanks mam.
    Gis a shout when me teas ready, i’m just upstairs on me computer.

😉

• Jib

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:10 PM

I can see the Liverpool fans going a little bit crazy
    around Anfield tonight

• hibbit

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:10 PM

carltoon LOL

• IrishRob

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:12 PM

Honestly get lost Joe, sick of the sight of him. Hes had enough chances and excuses and hes still useless.

No way in hell did they spend that 40M for him its all a big cover up to divert money legally.

• Jib

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:12 PM

Probably the same around Elland Road as well

• carltoon

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:12 PM

Tackle,you better behave or I’ll take you to the match. That’s how I threatened my grand kids.

• IrishRob

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:14 PM

Gothmag that’s just people pretending to get information from Poch to make them more credible. In reality they know the takeover is looking unlikely now and made up a story to suit the scenario, so they look like itk’s

• DONK

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:18 PM

NUFC.
    SNAFU.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:24 PM

Certainly one person on here and not too secretly either will be happy that Ash is staying. Probably the only person who would support Ashley against KK too.

• Ron Knee

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:27 PM

Three teams separated by three points, with almost identical goal difference and only one Premier League place available.

Sunday’s Premier League season climax is set to be a nerve-shredding one for teams battling to avoid relegation.

Norwich are certain to finish bottom of the table – and two from Aston Villa, Watford and Bournemouth will join them in the Championship next season. (BBC)

• geordietom

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:27 PM

YOU can tell when Carltoon gets serious she says Please …

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:30 PM

carltoon,
    We got in to the diamond league but have slacked off recently, relegated back in to the obsidian 🙁 it’s got to a level where she needs my help but all this six o clock football has got in the way. Back on them tomorrow.

• BlacknWhiteBarmy

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:30 PM

” I think he’s better playing to a side, that suits him, so it’s quite possible that a center-forward could be on the list, yeah.”

But Steve – you would of known this before you signed him and gave him the No9 shirt.

Is the side in question Ashington Colliers under 5s?

• geordietom

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:32 PM

if jokes are banned on here so is larn yasell spanish …

• carltoon

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:38 PM

Tom that’s ok I’m learning French.

• The mighty wyn

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:38 PM

Effectively the last part of this season since march has been an enforced boycott as nobody has been allowed in therefore also no in stadium sales or betting.
    I believe that is why he does want to sell this time
    I also think he would have been quick to rubbish the bidders had it still not been ongoing
    All the rest of the rubbish around it is exactly that so called journalists trying to keep up their clicks and profile

• Swanny

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:38 PM

Jib

It’ll be our turn soon to go crazy around the ground !

Hopefully crazy happy, not windows out for the lads !

Respect

• geordietom

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:39 PM

Q: How tall is a union electrician?

A: Don’t know. I’ve never seen one of them stand up to do something.

• Online Guy

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:39 PM

Jail

Yes I ask questions and make statements deliberately

It’s not as though I could do it by accident is it ?

And I thought that’s what we are here for, to interact, ask questions of one another, and impart news .

Will you deliberately asking questions of others in the future or will you be asking by accident ?

• geordietom