web analytics

Bruce To Look At Loan Extensions For Duo

Newcastle’s decision on the three loanees brought in this past January is still up the air. While Danny Rose joined on a straight loan from Spurs, both Nabil Bentaleb and Valentino Lazaro had purchase clauses attached to their loans, from Schalke and Inter respectively.

According to the Chronicle, Newcastle’s £8.6m option on Nabil Bentaleb expired on Monday. We would assume that will be the case on for Lazaro’s reported £20m option as well.

The circumstances with the coronavirus made both purchase options very unlikely to be triggered. They were negotiated pre-pandemic and the times have been drastically altered by the virus.

However, that doesn’t completely close the door on any of the loan trio returning next season. It’s been widely reported that Bruce is keen to work out a deal with Tottenham for Danny Rose.

The Chronicle state that Newcastle plan to meet with Tottenham’s Daniel Levy to find out if a permanent deal can be hashed out for the 30-year-old left-back. With his contract up next summer, we don’t expect Levy’s demands to be too outrageous.

As for Bentaleb and Lazaro, permanent deals could be harder to come by. Though we don’t see a future for Bentaleb at Schalke as he was frozen out of the first-team all of last season before arriving on Tyneside.

The same could be said for Lazaro at Inter. The winger is not expected to be in Antonio Conte’s plans for next season. With the coronavirus making it unlikely they’ll receive the full amount they divvied out last summer, despite reported interest in Germany, Lazaro could be on the move again during this window.

Steve Bruce spoke after the Liverpool match about the prospective futures of Rose, Bentaleb, and Lazaro. He mentions that talks are planned with their clubs and also suggests another season on loan could be an option.

“We have to have conversations with their respective clubs and look to see whether we’re going to make any of them permanent.

“Or the alternative is, ‘Can we have them for another season on loan?’

“Let’s see how the situation develops.”

Who Was Newcastle Player Of The 2019-2020 Season

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Northumbrian

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:36 PM

Mund I refer to my last post last thread as I can’t be arsed to rewrite lol.

• TyneMouth

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:36 PM

The effort that certain people make to find fault with the take-over, you’d think there was some kind of reward on offer!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:36 PM

Lazaro is a no brainer for me, he’s oozing class.

Benetelab hasn’t impressed me at all, think we have better already.

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:36 PM

Davas, from previous

But Masters had already stated many times on record that he couldn’t offer a time frame, so what did they hope to achieve?

If the PL could tell us more about what is going on, I’m sure they would, but they are involved in a confidential process and no amount of letter writing is going to change that.

The best thing we can do is let them get on with their jobs. They’d probably be much more efficient if they weren’t having to reissue the same statement about confidentiality over and over again to different parties.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:37 PM

And he’s carltoon’s pin up lad! 🙂

• Northumbrian

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:38 PM

I’d only go for Lazaro and put my trust in dummet and bring back willems.

• Mund

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:38 PM

Northumbrian

I replied

I said it ties in with the tweet I put up that he has been told it will be waved through this week after report.

• Harrogate mag

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:39 PM

Sounds like an extra bottle of Bacardi is needed this week…..HWTL #cans

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:40 PM

EGB

The only argument I can see for bringing Bentaleb in would be if we lose Matty.

We’ve had an injury crisis at CM for the end of the season, so if we lose 2 CMs this window we’ll be looking at replacing a large chunk of our midfield.

Bedding in midfielders (especially playmaker types and those more involved in transitional phases) is no easy job as it requires a good understanding of the players around you.

Bringing in 2 new faces, even if they are of higher individual ability, could disrupt a team that is in desparate need of stability.

• Munster Mag

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:45 PM

Mund

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:35 PM

Ties in with the tweet I put up that he has been told it will be waved through this week after report

Mund can you put up that Tweet again? Only able to log on in patches the last few days.

Bentaleb – has been disappointing overall, sad to say.

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:45 PM

Northunbrian

My biggest concern with that is that both Dummett and Willems have just missed long spells with injury and by the time the new season starts, neither will have played a competitive fixture for about 9 months.

Match fitness will be an issue, and the likelihood of one or both picking up another injury will be high, especially with Willems who has a very long history with injuries.

We could find ourselves without a natural left-back for months on end.

I think we really need to look at players without recent injuries. With Bruce’s track record on that front, it’s a recipe for disaster.

• Mund

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:46 PM

If anything because we are in limbo at the minute it is something to think about and look out for.

But I do believe it bares significance. Guess time will tell tho.

• hibbit

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:47 PM

been a lot of damage done to the blog over the last few weeks and we ALL have to accept some responsibility,
    just look back at the blog and see who’s now missing, some very notable names people who have posted for years,
    some very good posters on that list who are now missing or posting less frequently and the list is growing by the day, people are absolutely sick to the back teeth of going round in circles and were all to blame !!!!

• Mund

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:47 PM

Munster

Last thread mate. Read all and click on all links.

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:48 PM

Ideally, both Willems and Dummett want to be reintroduced slowly on their return to football (whether at NUFC or elsewhere) and if they are our only two options, one of them will have to start and they’ll have to play at least 45 minutes each, every game.

If one of them gets injured early, the other will have to go straight in to 90 minute matches off the back of a major injury.

I hooe Bruce is thinking about this, but I get the feeling he sees his issue with injuries as being a matter of luck, rather than a product of the way he manages the squad.

• Mund

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:49 PM

hibbit

Bang on mate and totally fair

• Northumbrian

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:50 PM

Hibbit I wish you could award hearts for posts you would get the max.
    😀

• Davas28

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:54 PM

I disagree KV. As I stated, at least it got confirmation that it is with them. So that’s a bonus.
    I thought he has only said many times that he can’t comment on any takeover so wasn’t confirming their was one. That was your reason to deny it.
    It’s different now as they confirmed it is with them so why not ask them for an idea of how long it will take. It’s their own process so they could.
    Perhaps if the people against it had ‘let them get on with it’ it would have been sorted by now.

• TyneMouth

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:55 PM

Every time I log on to this Blog I have to go through the ‘captcha’ security protocol, which is very irritating, a waste of time and pointless.

When I eventually access the blog inevitably the first post is from Kevin Virus, which is also very irritating, a waste of…. etc…etc..

• Mund

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:55 PM

What I will say is this is a hard time for all us fans. We have spoke about the mental health issues this all brings and frustrations are at an all time high and I think that has contributed to a lot of what we have saw on the blog.

But as always if we can recognise like we are doing now we can come together be United and make it better.

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:00 PM

Davas

I really don’t see where he confirmed it. If you read between the lines somewhat it can be interpreted that he hinted at it, but it was vague and there are several ways of interpreting what he said.

When he has spent the majority of the last 4 months maintaining that he isn’t in a position to pass comment on any specific takeover, I’m not convinced he was saying what some seem to think he was.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:09 PM

Kevin

I don’t think he’s good enough, why buy someone of that standard?

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:09 PM

That said, I can see how it could be taken either way.

Personally I’ll still wait for something more explicit before I make my mind up.

• toon22

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:10 PM

Have we been sold yet ?

• Moonraker15

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:12 PM

Once the takeover is completed, IMO the rebuilding strategy should be a mixture of young players with great potential, ASM, Eze for example along with 2 or 3 top players coming to the end of their careers; like David Silva although I know he’s going to Spain, Lallana (too late) and Aguero (pay him whatever fo 2 years), coached by Pochettino. Then sign a young Marquee player say Mbape once things are rolling nicely.
    That way you’re guaranteed top 8 first season and can then attract more top players next season. Invest millions in the academy and new training facility.
    The snowball is rolling.
    We don’t ask for much do we?
    Howay the lads wor torn is coming!

• Davas28

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:14 PM

KV. My last on it.
    In reply to a letter specifically about the Takeover Masters replies:
    “I do hope that we will have a resolution to this matter soon but cannot commit to a specific timeline at this stage. I can assure you that….”
    “…interest in Newcastle United across any final decision as soon as it made”
    Can’t see that this is in any way reading between the lines. It is their staring us in the face, on the lines. There is nothing else he can be talking about. (In my opinion :))

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:15 PM

EGB

Fair enough, we can probably do better.

For me though, he’s a player who knows the rest of the squad, knows the language and the area, has previous PL experience, and although he’s not an upgrade on what we have he’s not a long way off the standard. He’d make a reasonable back-up, and with a budget of £35m and 4 or 5 new players required, spending £8m on Bentaleb doesn’t seem like the worst decision we could make at this point in time.

We won’t be able to buy ready-made superstars on our budget. We’ll almost undoubtedly have to settle for a few cheaper options.

Knowing our club, the alternative will be completely unproven cheap players for whom it’ll be a complete lottery whether they settle in.

But I’m open to suggestions for who would be a better option. Did you have anyone in mind? Or do you not think we neee another CM?

• Mattroge

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:15 PM

Not sure how many on here are on Twitter as well but I’ve been really impressed by Liam Kennedy from The Shields Gazette. Wrote some great articles lately about the takeover and has been proactive in questioning the PL and WTO.

• GhostToon

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:17 PM

KV

You do go on and on!

Most of us don’t give a flying toss whether you believe in a takeover or not.

Just agree to disagree.

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:19 PM

Davas

“I hope to have a resolution to this matter soon” is not the same as saying “it’s in our hands and we are working to resolve it”. The fact that he then states that they are not working to any time frame suggests it is not currently waiting on them for a decision, but that there is some other reason it is yet to be confirmed or denied.

Saying “you’ll hear once a decision is made” to me was basically him saying “you’re not special, wait your turn like everyone else”.

If it was with them for approval and Masters was in a position to confirm that without it harming the confidentiality of the process, I can’t see any reason he wouldn’t come straight oyt with it.

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:22 PM

GhostToon

I’m having a conversation mate. If you don’t want to read it, skip past.

At least we’re talking about football rather than just moaning about other users as most seem to be doing.

So maybe just leave us to it?

• Anglo Saxon

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:26 PM

See wee Jimmy Krankies fighting to stay alive, because his mates are taking the piss out of him. HAHAHAHA

• Romford mag

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:26 PM

Afternoon all 🙂

Two old men, Mike and Joe, have been friends all of their lives. When it’s clear that Joe is dying, Mike visits him every day. One day Mike says, “Joe, we both loved football all our lives, and we played Sunday football together for so many years. Please do me one favour, when you get to Heaven, somehow you must let me know if there’s football there.”
    Joe looks up at Mike from his death bed,” Mike, you’ve been my best friend for many years. If it’s possible, I’ll do this favour for you.

Shortly after that, Joe passes on.

At midnight a couple of nights later, Mike is awakened by a blinding flash of white light and a voice calling out to him,”

“Mike–Mike.” “Who is it? asks Mike “Mike–it’s me, Joe.” “You’re not Joe. Joe just died.” “it’s me, Joe,” insists the voice.” “Joe! Where are you?” “In heaven”, replies Joe. “I have some really good news and a little bad news.” “Tell me the good news first,” says Mike. “The good news is that there’s football in heaven. Better yet, all of our old friends who died before us are here, too. Better than that, we’re all young again And best of all, we can play football all we want, and we never get tired.”

“That’s fantastic,” says Mike. “It’s beyond my wildest dreams! So what’s the bad news Joe ?

“You’re playing Tuesday mate “

• Harrogate mag

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:28 PM

Rom mate….like ya style

• Anglo Saxon

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:29 PM

Jib it wasn’t a piss-take by your sweetheart JAF he really is that thick ask Essex.

• Romford mag

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:30 PM

Harrogate
    Lol 😉

• Unused Substitute

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:32 PM

KV @4: the Northern Echo is just bullshitting; like the BBC. After all these weeks of scrutiny, the only sticking point remaining is at this stage is that holders of 10% stake convinces the League that they are going to be in charge rather than the outfit holding 80%. Why the majority shareholder is investing? For philanthropy? I can’t imagine the League negotiators could be that illogical.

I think the PL negotiators are doing a due diligence, let’s say, to figure out what are the chances of NUFC doing another SAFC after the deal gets a green light. Trying to dig out implicit motives in a business deal could be difficult and time consuming. That’s where we’re stuck methinks. Don’t ask for any proof, though.

• Davas28

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:34 PM

Romford
    ? ? ?

• Davas28

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:34 PM

Haha. ??? supposed to be smiling emojis

1 2 3 6