web analytics

Amanda Staveley Comes Out Swinging Against The Premier League And ‘Other Clubs’

After a carefully worded statement was released by the Amanda Staveley-led consortium, the English financier has given an interview to the Times of London. She has not held her tongue as she comes out swinging against the Premier League and other clubs.

The Chronicle has released the following statements from Staveley when asked if she blamed the Premier League for the deal falling through:

“Of course we do.

“They had a chance, they say we have not answered all the questions and we have done so. But the other clubs in the Premier League didn’t want it to happen.

“We are so heartbroken for the Newcastle fans as the investment that was going to go into the club, especially with everything happening with Brexit and Covid, would have been so important.

“This is catastrophic for them. It has been going on for so long and the opportunity was there.

“The piracy issue was not an issue but we tried to resolve it anyway.

“They [the Premier League] tried to make the state of Saudi a director. The PIF had agreed to become a director.

“Do we give up now? I don’t know, there may be a way forward, but we have had to put a statement out.

“I’m trying to deal with the facts and we had to make a decision today.”

While this wound is very fresh, we don’t want to put too much hope into the latter part of her statement about a way forward. It’s best to just move on from this absolute farce and fiasco.

Though the first part of her statement holds some weight in our estimation. Staveley lays the blame at the Premier League’s feet. She alludes to two reasons why they have delayed this process which has ultimately doomed the bid.

The first is ‘other clubs’, likely the big six, didn’t want to have to contend with a revitalized Newcastle United. Many fans have hinted that if the Saudi’s were after Manchester United or their ilk, this consortium would have been approved with little bother.

The other reason is that the Premier League didn’t see the Saudi state and the Public Investment Fund as separate entities. A few days ago, it was reported by the BBC that the Premier League were delaying the takeover due to the lack of clarity of who would hold the ‘ultimate responsibility’ at the club.

It seems that the league was never satisfied that Mohammed Bin Salman, the Saudi Crown Prince and Chairman of PIF, wouldn’t be the one pulling the strings at Newcastle.

Stavely refutes that and states that she gave the league everything they asked for. So we’ll likely hear a lot more from Amanda going forward as she does not appear to be letting this go just yet.

The Chronicle reached out to the Premier League for a statement, and of course, they didn’t provide one. Newcastle United also did not provide a comment.

Keith Downie has tweeted that Newcastle were unaware that the consortium was pulling out today.

This news today has gone global hitting the headlines in all the major publications. The Premier League and Newcastle United must release a statement about what exactly has transpired.

Who Was Newcastle Player Of The 2019-2020 Season

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• The Prince's Mate

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:07 PM

This is a bad dream, right?
    Everything will be OK in the morning…. right??

• The ledge

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:08 PM

Well if Mandy and George are saying its not Ashleys fault I will take there word on it over the other hacks

• Ninjacent

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:08 PM

The big 4 don’t want any more competition, the premier league want to rinse fans to subscribe to watch its matches. A fundamental reason why the deal has fallen through. Ashley needs to cash in as he knows the high st will no longer be a source of funding. We will have new owners but sadly deep pockets and significant investment is No longer available to the Toon.

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:08 PM

TMW

That makes no sense. I have nothing to give up because, like you, I’ve been boycotting the club for years.

What would be silly would be asking others to do the same if I wasn’t already doing so myself.

• Mund

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:09 PM

Great white

I’ll never give up hope we will be rid of Ashley and don’t believe this is it whether with Staveley or someone else I think we will be rid of him.

• The mighty wyn

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:09 PM

Muz I reckon the Saudis have got sick of the questions from the league. They don’t need the hassle
    They’ll probably buy Marseille and get the deal waved thrust by the french

• toon22

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:09 PM

Remember when i asked why the PR were still here ?

Obvious now aint it

😉

• Jamesthefirst

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:09 PM

@BigBob

Verified journalists have been tweeting this since the news broke. They never mentioned a figure but Saudi’s confirmed Ashley asked for more money as exclusivity had ended and he was trying to ask for more. He has done this on every takeover so no surprise that he has tried it again.

But paperwork was signed with a price on it so Ashley didn’t have a leg to stand on. It wasn’t why they walked. Staveley has told The Times she has no issue with him and suggested Masters is to blame.

Saudi’s walked because Masters has hung their dirty laundry out to the world’s media every week. It is a country that takes honour very seriously and Masters has annoyed them too many times. They know if they bid for Marseille it will be cheaper and sail through. So they left.

Staveley and Reubens can afford the £300 million on their own so don’t know why after all their effort they just don’t strike a deal and make it happen. Then seek richer investors to come in afterwards

• Jib

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:09 PM

big bob
    James the first – Ashley asked for more money from the Saudi’s last week (3 journalists have confirmed this already)

Ha ha ha you dope

333 journalists confirmed the takeover was going through last month

• The ledge

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:10 PM

Kevin ……..Give it a rest lad about the boycotting no one wants to hear it tonight just let it go .

• Jamesthefirst

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:11 PM

@Jane

Nobody believed the Saudi’s would walk. They never have before. Just shows how much Masters insulted them.

• jane

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:12 PM

“Bookies aren’t usually wrong:-

1-4. So put your 4 quid on now to get a fiver back.”

Kevin if this is the post you were thinking of you misunderstood it.

• The mighty wyn

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:12 PM

KV point being you readily say you haven’t got cash so what exactly have you given up
    Sports direct ?
    Doesn’t even qualify
    Anyway last comment on it you seem to be intent on following agenda on it

• Thump

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:12 PM

@Mund: I’m usually trying to practice what you’re preaching, but at the same time I want to throttle whoever put the 20p in her.

• lochinvar

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:14 PM

If the Saudis pulled out because of the impact of covid and no fans in grounds and resulting poor TV viewing then the value of all clubs and players is seriously diminished.

Ashley must be tearing his heart out waiting for the next bid of £150 million.

Still that’s 5 times more than the mackems are worth so musn’t grumble.

• DaveD1000

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:14 PM

Forward he cried from the rear
    And the front rank died
    And the general sat
    And the lines on the map
    Moved from side to side

• coming home

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:15 PM

99% of posters on here are gutted beyond belief nows not the time to rub the salt in
    I hate Ashley like most but this is nowt to do with him
    The buck stops with the PL and a hand full of clubs
    More wl come out in the wash
    Amanda will be back
    The fat lady isn’t singing yet

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:15 PM

The ledge

I wasn’t the only one who brought it up. Novo, Peter and Mad Frog Boom all did do.

For some reason I am the only one who got told off for it though.

You seem like a reasonable person, please don’t become another person who treats everything I say with disproportionate contempt.

I genuinely want what is best for the club, and I genuinely think this is it.

Other than that, getting rud of Bruce is an immedite priority. As is strengthening the squad.

I’ll happily discuss my thoughts on those topics too.

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:16 PM

And anyone else’s thoughts on them, for that matter 🙂

• jane

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:16 PM

“Jane, why like this?”

those who said it was going to happen should be accountable.

• Harrogate mag

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:16 PM

For some strange reason I’ve got Jerry the berry out of phoenix night’s in my head

• Mad Frog Boom 22

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:19 PM

We need a miracle, please god!

• DaveD1000

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:19 PM

G’night guys try not to listen to reports for at least 3 days

• Dingo®

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:19 PM

Kevin Vegan
    Jul 25, 2020 at 1:45 PM
    Mund
    I answered your question. Is there a point to any of this? We’re just going round and round in circles. If you have some proof, feel free to present it, but I am not interested in discussing speculation.

Kevin Vegan
    Jul 30, 2020 at 2:12 AM
    Uncertain
    That’s all anybody seems to be able to come up with, but the Saudis now seem to be largely ignoring the whole issue and ploughing on.
    This is why I’ve been sceptical for so long. With the sharp drop in season ticket sales I did wonder if this was actually going to happen, but everybody seemed to run out of answers months ago and the PL is tight-lipped as ever.
    It just seems to me like everything is pointing to a “no” and has been since that WTO report first came out.

Yer all fart and nee shite ye facking doylem – bet ye’ve got nipples like blood blisters.

• Pat On The Heed

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:20 PM

Not wanting to dwell but this takeover unprecedented scale rejuvenation of our club, region, and future.

I was one with big reservations about the human rights element when the news broke. Had the bid failed on that basis, I would’ve been disappointed but mindful of the wider issues at play – which for me trump football. It didn’t though. it’s failed due to a good old fashioned desire to prevent NUFC rise as a force. The league’s also rans, whipping boys getting ideas above their station. Can’t have that.

Man U got 14 penalties to ensure European football. City got a ban overturned. When the powers that be seek to preserve the status quo be sure it will happen.

• The ledge

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:21 PM

Kevin……well will you and Novo, Peter and Mad Frog Boom please give it a rest about boycotting tonight we dong need it no one wants to hear it .
    And I have never said anything to you before about what you post but toinght is not the night for talking about boycotting.

• Kevin Vegan

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:23 PM

TMW

So now my opinions don’t matyer because I’m poor?

That’s where this discussion ends for me mate.

Football used to be a sport for the working class.

Financial elitism is already ruining the game and I don’t expect to have my opinions rubbished by other fans because I’m not wealthy enough to buy a season ticket and travel almost 1000 miles a week to watch the club.

There have been times when I’ve had the money to buy a ticket, but I’d had my heart set on a boycott before then.

There have been times when I’ve wanted a shirt too, so I’ve bought shirts of other teams I vaguely follow abroad and not funded the regime.

You feel free to express your opinions, but don’t try to discredit mine based on my income. That’s just daft.

• Muz

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:23 PM

Hmmm

There will be more to come in the next few days. I don’t think this is as cut and dried as we might think. Something smells very odd about the whole thing. I mean, the fact that the day after a WTO meeting this happens?

Ashley wants to sell, she’s made a point of saying he’s been a willing seller. I’m wondering if they’re to give the PL a kick up the arse. They can discuss the process and throw blame around under the guise of the deal being off without breaking any regulations. Way to get their facts out perhaps? Every single word of that statement from Staveley is very specific. It targets the PL, it lays out the facts of their application to the O&D and bizarrely points fingers at other clubs. She finishes by saying, can she move forward, she doesn’t know??

Ashley does need to sell; he’s fupped if he stays here cos he won’t invest again if we’re relegated a third time and that means his asset is worthless. The clubs fupped if he stays here, he won’t invest anyway. The PL are fupped if the Saudi’s put there money in another league.

• Mad Frog Boom 22

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:24 PM

Bus

• magicmac54

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:24 PM

This is the time that all Newcastle United fans stick together, this latest takeover has taken its toll on many fans and with the covid 19 virus also to contend with this has been a very very difficult time for all concerned, reading this blog the last few months has not been a good experience, lots of fans having a go at eachother lots of infighting vile language and insults, while there was no excuse for that, it was so obvious fans frustration with the slow progress of the takeover was playing a huge part in all these fights and arguements on the blog every day, this is a tragic and sad day for our club, there is no winners people who were confident in the takeover that was fine, people like myself and others were very sceptical that was fine also, so under no circumstances will any true fans be gloating at the news we got today about the takeover, as far as iam concerned all Newcastle fans are my friend and my extended family, so lets put this takeover behind us and move on, we are much stronger being united, we really need to get Mike Ashley out of our club one way or another, i think he genuinely want to sell the club this time, but my biggest fear and concern is he will sell the club to one of his cronies who will be just as bad as Ashley, we really really cant put up with another scumbag like Ashley. HWTL

• Muz

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:25 PM

Also, the Saudi’s suggestion that Covid played a part in their decision is nonsense. I’ll try and find the article but 3 months ago they were using Covid as a reason to make investments…

• jimiley

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:33 PM

Ashley has to sell because he is toast on Tyneside. He knows it better than any of us.
    The bid failed because the prem is run by a cartel of top clubs who cream off the money and will not allow any challengers unless they het lucky for a season or two eg Leicester.
    The bid would have succeeded if the bidder was moderately rich but not stupidly wealthy. Moderately wealthy eg a few billion does not cut it. A Saudi prince bought the blades with no problem.
    The Crown prince was too rich and rightly seen as a threat to the top 4.
    The league would have delayed a decision until it suited them. For example next feb when we would be stuck on 15 points and getting relegated and no window to buy. Do the Saudi saw the writing on the wall and pulled the plug.
    So where does that leave NUFC.
    Phooked.
    We will get a new owner but not one rich enough to challenge. We will never win the league but we may one day win a cup when we get a kind draw and we play our first team every round and the top teams put out second 11. And we get very lucky.
    But realise you are supporting a club b which will forever make up the numbers.
    We are a big club in the NE only

• The mighty wyn

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:37 PM

There we go again – victim card
    Not saying your points are invalid just that you haven’t give anything up so don’t preach to others
    Once again today your posts have been designed to cause argument. Several posters have asked you to give it a rest.
    Anyway no further posts from me on it. Everyone’s upset enough as it is

• dougie

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:41 PM

I’m absolutely gutted,really thought this was it.Maybe Amanda can get something else together,who knows but it will not be for a while.The infighting on here though guys isn’t doing anyone any good.Theres no choice but to take it on the chin and roll with it,what else can we do.I,m with Jib,if you keep conversing with Kev he’s got you by the balls.

• jimiley

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:41 PM

I remember going to the ground in the early 60s with my grandfather and he was telling me stories about hughie Gallagher and the 1927 championship team and how he was at sjp in 1930 when 69k filled the ground to watch Gallagher play for Chelsea.
    And I thought I want to experience that sense of winning the league.
    At that time it was nearly 40 years since we won the league so I Thought a big club which had won the fa cup three times in the
    50s will win the league soon.
    It’s now nearly a hundred years.
    The saddest thing of all is that I will never see NUFC win the league.
    And jiblets….. I am not a Mackem you dick

• lochinvar

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:41 PM

Night shift music choices should be interesting
    My money is on Leonard Cohen.

• The Prince's Mate

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:07 PM

Tomma @4
    No shit Sherlock? (not meant to be twatty) but it’s been like that since the blazers started wearing ties… Scratch back.. Nudge nudge
    Theyre as bad as the twats who allowed the 22 world cup in Qatar to go ahead… What happened with those crooks?… maybe Masters is in the Same stinking if not sinking shit… ship?