web analytics



Report – Two American Bidders In The Wings Plus A Transfer Tease



Henry Winter with The Times has taken to Twitter with some interesting insights on Newcastle’s failed takeover. He was one of the journalists who seemed to have solid sources early on in the process.

His initial tweet cites potential bidders from the United States, including one with long-standing interest who is not Clear TV CEO Henry Mauriss.

For many fans, these potential bidders currently pale in comparison to the Amanda Staveley-led consortium, who were going to not only going to invest in Newcastle United but also the surrounding area.

Winter also tweeted the following about some of the plans that would have been set in place initially should the deal have gone through. He also states that Bruce would have been kept on, at least to start.

There have been murmurings that this deal is not completely dead. Even Amanda Staveley hinted in her interview earlier on Thursday that there could be a path forward. She also reportedly spoke to talkSPORT’s Jim White who said the following of their conversation:

“I’ve just got off the phone with a tearful Amanda Staveley who said to me: ‘I am absolutely heartbroken for the supporters of Newcastle, for the club, and the community.’

“All the emotion of waiting and waiting, and the work she’s done on this bid over the last two years, came out to me in that phone call.

“The bid was real, it’s been there all the time, Ashley agreed to it, and they told me today they were going to allocate £250million more for the club, the academy, and the community, but now it’s all gone.

“Having said that, and I don’t know how genuine this is, but as Amanda Staveley said ‘goodbye’ to me, she added: ‘Get it out there, though, we will not give up. We will not give up’.

“So maybe they will be back, but it all depends on the Saudi’s because 80 percent of the £300m cash bid was theirs, with ten percent from Staveley’s PCP and the other ten percent coming from the Reuben brothers.

“Everybody will have their take on this, but all I can tell you is this; if you’d heard the tone of Amanda Staveley’s voice moments ago you would realize how absolutely shattered she is.

“As she said, she has been working on this with the Saudis and the Reuben brothers for two years, two years they’ve been working flat-out on it and now it’s come to this, that they have withdrawn.

“What Newcastle would have got out of it, what the club would have got out of it, what the fans would have got out of it in terms of what was about to happen to their club was something else, but now for the time being at least, we’ll never know.

“But I emphasis ‘for the time being’, because as Amanda says, they will not give up and they might be back.”

It appears the Saudis made the decision to pull out as they saw the writing on the wall with the Premier League and this just was not going to get passed anytime soon.

Staveley may regroup but we would expect she’d have to find another investor as we can’t see the Saudis coming back into the frame.

If Winter’s reporting is accurate, she may not have the time to get another bid in place as there could be solid interest from two different American-based bidders.

But now, Newcastle have to focus on this season. They must improve this squad with the limited funds available to Steve Bruce this summer.

Liam Kennedy with the Shields Gazette is reporting the club is doing just that. He has teased a transfer story for the morning in which he claims there could be significant progress made on a two-year pursuit of a target. That’s at least something.

Who Was Newcastle Player Of The 2019-2020 Season

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

124 comments so far

  • coming home

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:24 PM

    Comment #1

    Shirebrook

    What a twat
    Harrogate is one of the happiest posters on here
    Take that back

    2
  • lochinvar

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:25 PM

    Comment #2

    German paper Der Spiegel claim to have evidence that Manchester City LIED to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to escape their Champions League ban – but City say it’s just ‘a cynical attempt to publicly re-litigate’

    Nothing to see here, move along please.
    Hold on you’re from Newcastle aren’t you ? Step into this little room please.

    18
  • Slatymag

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:25 PM

    Comment #3

    “Hopefully it gets over the line”

    And back to normality.

    4
  • naptoon

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:26 PM

    Comment #4

    Vegan
    Haydns

    1
  • ShirebrookToon

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:31 PM

    Comment #5

    CH

    I would but Alexa doesn’t understand the command.

    She keeps asking what I want her to take back to Harrogate. Stupid footin thing

    3
  • Kevin Vegan

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:32 PM

    Comment #6

    Naptoon

    That’s not good news. Just had his best season for us. Matty’s contract expires in 90 minutes and Bentaleb’s loan is about to end.

    That would leave us with Sean L (how long will he stay if Matty’s feeling mistreated?) and Jonjo at CM.

    And £35m plus whatever Ash is willing to give out of a Hayden sale if that were to happen.

    Relegation beckons.

    2
  • ShirebrookToon

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:33 PM

    Comment #7

    The EPL is corrupt and master bates is a tool.

    Heart if you agree

    97
  • coming home

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:34 PM

    Comment #8

    Shirebrook

    Try changing the batteries

    1
  • Harrogate mag

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:34 PM

    Comment #9

    Now if that doesn’t get 100 hearts…….

    3
  • Kevin Vegan

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:34 PM

    Comment #10

    I know Colback left in June. Did Saivet’s contract end then too? Even our reserves CMs are gone.

    Barlaser will almost undoubtedly be registered.

    1
  • Asi Fish

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:36 PM

    Comment #11

    So Jane, did you call this exact situation?

    1
  • RonVanDam

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:37 PM

    Comment #12

    Based on Amanda’s quote below, looks like she will be back again to reignite the takeover

    “Do we give up now? I don’t know, there may be a way forward, but we have had to put a statement out.

    Those blaming MA, I don’t think he’s to be attacked here. He is a willing seller, you have to remember we are in a competition where survival to stay in the PL and European places are up for grabs every year including the money that comes with it so other clubs opposing the takeover shouldn’t come as a surprise at our expense.

    I believe they will be back in 2yrs when the PL broadcasting rights are put up for sale, win that bid and have another crack at the takeover with fresh pair of eyes and a better structured plan

    10
  • ShirebrookToon

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:37 PM

    Comment #13

    CH

    No way. All I’ll hear is I told you so for the next 70 odd days and she will keep changing the dining room lighting to green

    3
  • Asi Fish

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:39 PM

    Comment #14

    We are, we are, we are, we are
    The Royal Engineers
    We can, we can, we can, we can
    Drink more than forty beers
    Drink rum. Drink rum
    ‘Till it’s comin’ out your ears
    ‘Cause we don’t give a f**k about anyone else
    And we don’t give a f**k about us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    4
  • ShirebrookToon

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:40 PM

    Comment #15

    Asi

    You ex RE

    1
  • coming home

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:40 PM

    Comment #16

    Shirebrook
    As long as she dont just keep beeping

    0
  • West Lancs Geordie

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:41 PM

    Comment #17

    The Top six clubs Spurs, Liverpool , Man City , Man U , Chelsea and Arsenal are behind this and Masters and his co-orts at the Premier League haven’t got the guts to stand up to them . There is also not a decision maker amongst them. Sadly Amanda has given them a get out clause. They could have come to a decision 10/12 weeks ago and given us chance to regroup for the coming season .Now there is just 67 days left of the current transfer window where undoubtedly we’ll see ASM sold and be left playing for 17th position AGAIN.
    May just give up on football altogether as it’s just a charade now . Not prepared to suffer the Ashley regime for a minute longer. We ‘ll be back to fake news about two rival US consortiums wanting to buy us. GUTTED!

    13
  • Asi Fish

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:41 PM

    Comment #18

    RVD – you thinking bigger picture, walk away for now but come back and take their pants down?

    Nice 🙂

    1
  • Harrogate mag

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:41 PM

    Comment #19

    Heard there was a nice blonde girl doing a condom fitting service at the local chemist….went down to check it out..and there she was..I said to her..are you the one that fits condoms..she said yes…I said “go wash your hands n get me a quarter of couch candy”

    3
  • West Lancs Geordie

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:42 PM

    Comment #20

    If Jane didn’t call it . Toon 22 certainly did!

    1
  • Asi Fish

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:42 PM

    Comment #21

    Shirebrook – still RE my friend 🙂

    1
  • Kevin Vegan

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:43 PM

    Comment #22

    The best thing Mandy can do now is focus on her court case and let somebody else have a try.

    I know a lot of fans saw her as some kind of hero but we were a means to an end to her, just as City were when she got involved in that deal.

    Plenty of other buyers will be interested though.

    If Ashley wants to sell, he should slap one of his “25% OFF” stickers on the club and get a statement out ASAP about how we’re still for sale.

    0
  • lochinvar

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:43 PM

    Comment #23

    Now tell me what do the EPL do when Amanda, the Reubens and a Qatar backed bid put an offer in ?

    Remember Qatar are whiter than Jim White. they have the World Cup. They have the blessing of FIFA in their back pockets. They have TV broadcasting albeit they need to upgrade their presenters to a standard that the EPL would accept.

    The Saudi deal was worth £550million based on £300m to but the club and £250m further investment in players and infrastructure.

    So there we have it.
    A Qatar backed bid will pass muster.
    Should be through by the start of the season as no red flags just love all around.

    3
  • Harrogate mag

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:43 PM

    Comment #24

    Cough candy even

    1
  • DjMickyg

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:43 PM

    Comment #25

    RVD – we wont be in the premier league in 2 years.

    5
  • ShirebrookToon

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:43 PM

    Comment #26

    Asi

    I served 8 years.

    2
  • The Prince's Mate

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:44 PM

    Comment #27

    Toon22 from previous
    Your right but back off for a couple of weeks…. Please

    1
  • ShirebrookToon

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:44 PM

    Comment #28

    Harrogate

    You’ll never beat wind tunnel

    1
  • Asi Fish

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:46 PM

    Comment #29

    Shirebrook – fair play my brother.

    24 years done next month but just been given a six month extension.

    Miss the early days.

    1
  • The Prince's Mate

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:46 PM

    Comment #30

    Carltoon, were the flip are you?
    I need a females shoulder to snivel on…. c’mon. Xx

    2
  • Harrogate mag

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:47 PM

    Comment #31

    Shirebrook….that’s with me till the end of my days mate…it’s one you don’t forget

    1
  • TyneMouth

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:47 PM

    Comment #32

    This is not over yet!

    The camel train may have left the oasis, but the circus is still in toon…

    Whoever said “opportunity only knocks once” obviously couldn’t count.

    My can is still half full, and as my dear old Granny used to say; “somethings weren’t meant to happen” (bless her)

    7
  • Magnus Pie

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:47 PM

    Comment #33

    So we’re finally told.

    The feeling of relief at the same time as disappointment is overwhelming.

    And combined to one, a new one, for me.

    I have no words.

    Except:

    Keep your chin up all!

    Extra bless to you 22!

    HWTL!

    (The day it turns around for us. We will think of this day and smile)

    3
  • Mund

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:48 PM

    Comment #34

    steve wraith
    @stevewraith
    This story still hasn’t reached the end game.

    4
  • ShirebrookToon

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:48 PM

    Comment #35

    Asi

    I miss the banter. Still keep in touch with the lads. Got a massive whatsapp group. Great craic

    2
  • West Lancs Geordie

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:48 PM

    Comment #36

    Re this comment from above:
    “But now, Newcastle have to focus on this season. They must improve this squad with the limited funds available to Steve Bruce this summer.

    Liam Kennedy with the Shields Gazette is reporting the club is doing just that. He has teased a transfer story for the morning in which he claims there could be significant progress made on a two-year pursuit of a target. That’s at least something.”

    But where is he going to get money from ? Certainly not Ashley ! From the sale of ASM and Dubravka i.e sell the crown jewels?

    1
  • Asi Fish

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:51 PM

    Comment #37

    Shirebrook – brill mate. And they think the banter on here is harsh 🙂

    2
  • West Lancs Geordie

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:52 PM

    Comment #38

    Well Mund I know you’re the everlasting optimist and I hope you’re right. I thought Amanda and her group would just stand firm and if nothing happened before the transfer window closed sued the Premier League for negligence or something. They could well finally destroy our once great club

    1
  • Harrogate mag

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:53 PM

    Comment #39

    I’m away..got bit of a drive in the morning. ..stay safe….stay positive..HWTL

    2
  • Mund

    Jul 30, 2020 at 10:54 PM

    Comment #40

    West Lancs Geordie

    This isn’t over yet mate. Ashley needed this and is distraught. We have a willing seller a willing buyer, this isn’t the end yet.

    1


You must log in to post a comment.