web analytics

Report – Two American Bidders In The Wings Plus A Transfer Tease

Henry Winter with The Times has taken to Twitter with some interesting insights on Newcastle’s failed takeover. He was one of the journalists who seemed to have solid sources early on in the process.

His initial tweet cites potential bidders from the United States, including one with long-standing interest who is not Clear TV CEO Henry Mauriss.

For many fans, these potential bidders currently pale in comparison to the Amanda Staveley-led consortium, who were going to not only going to invest in Newcastle United but also the surrounding area.

Winter also tweeted the following about some of the plans that would have been set in place initially should the deal have gone through. He also states that Bruce would have been kept on, at least to start.

There have been murmurings that this deal is not completely dead. Even Amanda Staveley hinted in her interview earlier on Thursday that there could be a path forward. She also reportedly spoke to talkSPORT’s Jim White who said the following of their conversation:

“I’ve just got off the phone with a tearful Amanda Staveley who said to me: ‘I am absolutely heartbroken for the supporters of Newcastle, for the club, and the community.’

“All the emotion of waiting and waiting, and the work she’s done on this bid over the last two years, came out to me in that phone call.

“The bid was real, it’s been there all the time, Ashley agreed to it, and they told me today they were going to allocate £250million more for the club, the academy, and the community, but now it’s all gone.

“Having said that, and I don’t know how genuine this is, but as Amanda Staveley said ‘goodbye’ to me, she added: ‘Get it out there, though, we will not give up. We will not give up’.

“So maybe they will be back, but it all depends on the Saudi’s because 80 percent of the £300m cash bid was theirs, with ten percent from Staveley’s PCP and the other ten percent coming from the Reuben brothers.

“Everybody will have their take on this, but all I can tell you is this; if you’d heard the tone of Amanda Staveley’s voice moments ago you would realize how absolutely shattered she is.

“As she said, she has been working on this with the Saudis and the Reuben brothers for two years, two years they’ve been working flat-out on it and now it’s come to this, that they have withdrawn.

“What Newcastle would have got out of it, what the club would have got out of it, what the fans would have got out of it in terms of what was about to happen to their club was something else, but now for the time being at least, we’ll never know.

“But I emphasis ‘for the time being’, because as Amanda says, they will not give up and they might be back.”

It appears the Saudis made the decision to pull out as they saw the writing on the wall with the Premier League and this just was not going to get passed anytime soon.

Staveley may regroup but we would expect she’d have to find another investor as we can’t see the Saudis coming back into the frame.

If Winter’s reporting is accurate, she may not have the time to get another bid in place as there could be solid interest from two different American-based bidders.

But now, Newcastle have to focus on this season. They must improve this squad with the limited funds available to Steve Bruce this summer.

Liam Kennedy with the Shields Gazette is reporting the club is doing just that. He has teased a transfer story for the morning in which he claims there could be significant progress made on a two-year pursuit of a target. That’s at least something.

Who Was Newcastle Player Of The 2019-2020 Season

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• The Prince's Mate

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:55 PM

From previous

Harrogate…. c’mon son…. What’s, on your, agenda…. Tell me before I fall asleep or kick the bucket

• West Lancs Geordie

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:55 PM

Lochivar. And you forgot to mention they’ll probably make our best mate Keays Chairman of NUFC

• Asi Fish

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:55 PM

Extended in the Army – big sigh of relief.

Takeover stopped – depressive sigh of relief.

No need to refresh, no need to stock up on cans….

Drink the cans, chill and unwind. We re-group together tomorrow to prepare for the next onslaught.

Goodnight my brothers.

HWTL

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:56 PM

Asi

Mate we’d be banned for life off here with the stuff that gets put up on the group. And no matter what. There always there for ya. Your problem is there problem.

• Mund

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:56 PM

both Jamie and Mehrdad have liked this tweet about it being able to be saved

• Asi Fish

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:57 PM

Shirebrook – Ahmen to that 🙂

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:57 PM

Improvise, adapt and overcome.

We’ll get what we all wish for one day

• Romford mag

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:57 PM

Harrogate

Laters bud 🙂

• Harrogate mag

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:58 PM

Prince..what you mean mate ?

• coming home

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:58 PM

Iv got the answer that iv just txt Ashley
    Sack bruce apologise and rehire Rafa and hire toon22 as PR
    Job done

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:59 PM

Mund ru on twitter?

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:59 PM

No more undisclosed payments

• The Prince's Mate

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:00 PM

Night Asi.. Shalem…..

• jimiley

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:01 PM

Ashley has to sell because he is toast on Tyneside. He knows it better than any of us.
    The bid failed because the prem is run by a cartel of top clubs who cream off the money and will not allow any challengers unless they het lucky for a season or two eg Leicester.
    The bid would have succeeded if the bidder was moderately rich but not stupidly wealthy. Moderately wealthy eg a few billion does not cut it. A Saudi prince bought the blades with no problem.
    The Crown prince was too rich and rightly seen as a threat to the top 4.
    The league would have delayed a decision until it suited them. For example next feb when we would be stuck on 15 points and getting relegated and no window to buy. Do the Saudi saw the writing on the wall and pulled the plug.
    So where does that leave NUFC.
    Phooked.
    We will get a new owner but not one rich enough to challenge. We will never win the league but we may one day win a cup when we get a kind draw and we play our first team every round and the top teams put out second 11. And we get very lucky.
    But realise you are supporting a club b which will forever make up the numbers.
    We are a big club in the NE only

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:01 PM

Asi

Take it easy mate. Catch ya later

• TyneMouth

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:02 PM

When the news broke this afternoon, my first reaction was; `Oh Sh1t, Kevin Virus will think this is more fake news, and we will have three months of his demands of proof! ‘

It takes all types to make a World, but sometimes you wish it didn’t.

• Mund

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:02 PM

GP no mate not as yet I didn’t cut the whole tweet if you think that might of been me.

How you feeling mate? Daft question I know but do you have any hope left?

• Slatymag

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:02 PM

Liam Kennedy update at 11.20, apparently.

More doubt and angles or some tangible facts to give a shred of hope?

• jimiley

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:03 PM

I remember going to the ground in the early 60s with my grandfather and he was telling me stories about hughie Gallagher and the 1927 championship team and how he was at sjp in 1930 when 69k filled the ground to watch Gallagher play for Chelsea.
    And I thought I want to experience that sense of winning the league.
    At that time it was nearly 40 years since we won the league so I Thought a big club which had won the fa cup three times in the
    50s will win the league soon.
    It’s now nearly a hundred years.
    The saddest thing of all is that I will never see NUFC win the league.
    And jiblets….. I am not a Mackem you dick

• West Lancs Geordie

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:04 PM

Mund . He may need the sale and the money for his failing High Street undertakings but he aint got the brass. He needs to buy Bruce a proven goalscorer but he’ll only get that from sales such as ASM and Dubravka. Benteleb and Lazaro at £20M arn’t feasible options nor do I think the much overweight Rose who sadly is past his sell buy date.
    We now have an ageing squad 90 % of which would not have survived after a takeover. It is however their chance now to make a name for themselves especially someone like Gayle.

• RobLeenio

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:04 PM

Gutted. Absolutely genuinely gutted.

To think that finally we had a willing seller as well as a buyer capable of bringing pride and dignity back to our club, to have the sale scuppered by petty jealousy from certain clubs and indecisive leadership from the League.

What a shower of sh1t this has turned out to be.

So on we go, with at least the knowledge that Ashley wants to sell now. Hopefully either Staveley and her consortium can find a way to make it work or there really is someone else out there.

The alternative of Ashley for another thirteen years doesn’t bear thinking about.

• The Prince's Mate

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:04 PM

Harrogate nowt serious mate, just you said you were folding for the night…. I love to party… at my age I’m not sure, if I’ll wake up the next morning…. Best of luck mate, have a great weekend

• Harrogate mag

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:05 PM

Shirebrook…..spent most of my working life on building sites and the craic is what makes you what you are…….working class hero’s…..

• lochinvar

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:05 PM

Some good news among the gloom
    Leeds are planning to sign Tottenham full-back Danny Rose, 30 – as boss Marcelo Bielsa looks for players with Premier League experience before their top-flight return. (Star)

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:06 PM

Join up man, easier to chat there too, yeah i still have hope ashley will be on his way.

• The ledge

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:07 PM

There is still a slim possibility the takeover can be revived. “I don’t know if this is the end of it,” a source close to the consortium said.

They have lost their £17m deposit which would have been refunded if the PL rejected the deal. #nufc [George Caulkin, Chris Waugh]

• The Prince's Mate

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:07 PM

And of course, at my age… we’ve always got a weak end…. Boom, boom… Haaa haaa

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:08 PM

Harrogate

I work on site too bud. The banter is brill. Laugh a minute. The apprentices nowadays are gullible as owt aswell 😆

• Harrogate mag

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:08 PM

Think we all pulled it round tonight after devastating news…bit of craic is always the best remedy..night all…catch ya later Rom lad

• The Prince's Mate

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:09 PM

The Ledge… Its gone mate…. let it go…. another time, another place x

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:10 PM

Night Harrogate mate. Dream of wind tunnels 😉

• West Lancs Geordie

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:11 PM

Jimiley . Like you am a good old ‘un & feel this was our last chance to perhaps witness something wonderful again at this great great club but do you know , I really feel that the Top Six are running this league and they certainly do not want another club sharing their spoils. It may seem like sour grapes but reports are already coming out about 10 clubs were trying to block the takeover with Liverpool and Spurs the ringleaders. It makes you sick!

• Harrogate mag

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:13 PM

Daft as a brush..sharp as a tack you are shirebrook mate..enjoy your night mate

• The Prince's Mate

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:14 PM

Rob @58
    Nice to see you back, but I’ve been close to tears all night just like a whimp.
    Listening to Motorheads version of “Heroes” on utube
    Outstanding x

• jimiley

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:15 PM

West Lancs
    Its corrupt. Its a cartel and eveybody is kept in their place,
    I stopped going 5 years ago after 50 odd years due to the owner and now this corrupt decision. Wasting our time trying to improve this club.
    I am finished with football. No point.
    Bring on the rugby and cricket

• Mund

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:15 PM

GP

I’ll join up in the morning and I’ll send you a tweet I suspect 😉

Glad to hear your keeping the faith

• Northumbrian

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:15 PM

• stan anderson

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:16 PM

Sadly what Jim Iley is saying is similar to my experiences of watching the Toon

• West Lancs Geordie

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:16 PM

I’m sorry but that George Caulkin does my heed in. One day it’s on then the next day it’s off. He needs to work on getting better genuine contacts and keep his mouth shut until he can report something with substance. But he’s a reporter and that’s what reporters do!

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:17 PM

Yeah took a break from the blog thats all, nothing much changed for me, think we havent heard the last of it but will talk tomorrow.