web analytics



Report – Two American Bidders In The Wings Plus A Transfer Tease



Henry Winter with The Times has taken to Twitter with some interesting insights on Newcastle’s failed takeover. He was one of the journalists who seemed to have solid sources early on in the process.

His initial tweet cites potential bidders from the United States, including one with long-standing interest who is not Clear TV CEO Henry Mauriss.

For many fans, these potential bidders currently pale in comparison to the Amanda Staveley-led consortium, who were going to not only going to invest in Newcastle United but also the surrounding area.

Winter also tweeted the following about some of the plans that would have been set in place initially should the deal have gone through. He also states that Bruce would have been kept on, at least to start.

There have been murmurings that this deal is not completely dead. Even Amanda Staveley hinted in her interview earlier on Thursday that there could be a path forward. She also reportedly spoke to talkSPORT’s Jim White who said the following of their conversation:

“I’ve just got off the phone with a tearful Amanda Staveley who said to me: ‘I am absolutely heartbroken for the supporters of Newcastle, for the club, and the community.’

“All the emotion of waiting and waiting, and the work she’s done on this bid over the last two years, came out to me in that phone call.

“The bid was real, it’s been there all the time, Ashley agreed to it, and they told me today they were going to allocate £250million more for the club, the academy, and the community, but now it’s all gone.

“Having said that, and I don’t know how genuine this is, but as Amanda Staveley said ‘goodbye’ to me, she added: ‘Get it out there, though, we will not give up. We will not give up’.

“So maybe they will be back, but it all depends on the Saudi’s because 80 percent of the £300m cash bid was theirs, with ten percent from Staveley’s PCP and the other ten percent coming from the Reuben brothers.

“Everybody will have their take on this, but all I can tell you is this; if you’d heard the tone of Amanda Staveley’s voice moments ago you would realize how absolutely shattered she is.

“As she said, she has been working on this with the Saudis and the Reuben brothers for two years, two years they’ve been working flat-out on it and now it’s come to this, that they have withdrawn.

“What Newcastle would have got out of it, what the club would have got out of it, what the fans would have got out of it in terms of what was about to happen to their club was something else, but now for the time being at least, we’ll never know.

“But I emphasis ‘for the time being’, because as Amanda says, they will not give up and they might be back.”

It appears the Saudis made the decision to pull out as they saw the writing on the wall with the Premier League and this just was not going to get passed anytime soon.

Staveley may regroup but we would expect she’d have to find another investor as we can’t see the Saudis coming back into the frame.

If Winter’s reporting is accurate, she may not have the time to get another bid in place as there could be solid interest from two different American-based bidders.

But now, Newcastle have to focus on this season. They must improve this squad with the limited funds available to Steve Bruce this summer.

Liam Kennedy with the Shields Gazette is reporting the club is doing just that. He has teased a transfer story for the morning in which he claims there could be significant progress made on a two-year pursuit of a target. That’s at least something.

Who Was Newcastle Player Of The 2019-2020 Season

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

124 comments so far

  • nufc 11

    Jul 30, 2020 at 11:44 PM

    Comment #121

    Didn’t the PL let a total fraudster buy Portsmouth about 10 years ago? The thai owner at city before the Arabs was well dodgy too. Birmingham city had another owner too, all of which should never have been allowed to buy a pl club. It looked like it would have been very professionally ran at nufc with the structure but everyone and their mother was allowed an opinion on this takeover seems very very wrong.

    3
  • magicmac54

    Jul 30, 2020 at 11:51 PM

    Comment #122

    This was our last chance to get really ambitious and wealthy owners to take our club forward to bigger and better things, its gone now and wont be getting resurrected, to think otherwise is delusional that ship has sailed, for your own mental health and sanity dont listen to bullshit from the media or journalist that its not over, we will have a takeover at some point in the future, but it wont be on the same scale as the takeover we have just lost, that old saying, if anything sounds to good to be true, it usually is sad to say , HWTL

    2
  • Northumbrian

    Jul 30, 2020 at 11:53 PM

    Comment #123

    Oops an infiltrator got onto coys blog tonight and caused mayhem.
    😉

    2
  • The ledge

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:42 AM

    Comment #124


You must log in to post a comment.