web analytics



‘100% Committed’ – Managing Director Breaks His Silence



Keith Downie with Sky Sports has tweeted the following statement from Newcastle’s current managing director, Lee Charnley.

As Downie says, this doesn’t say much but this is a good statement from Charnley, who is confirming assertions from Amanda Staveley that Mike Ashley did not scupper this deal.

It’s also intriguing that Charnley hints at the Saudi takeover not being dead in the water just yet. Staveley also suggested as much in her various interviews yesterday.

In her lengthy interview with George Caulkin in the Athletic, Staveley reiterated the following sentiment when asked if there was a chance at a revival of the deal:

“I don’t know. I just don’t know. I don’t want to give up, but I can’t do it on my own. I’ve tried. I’ve tried and I’ve tried and I’ve tried. You need investment. You can’t just buy a club with no investment behind you. You need £600-700 million minimum, to do a deal like this. That was all in place.”

So this coming from both Staveley and Ashley does give us some hope. However, that should not be our focus right now. We’re happy to hear Charnley’s professed commitment to Steve Bruce in the transfer window.

While, due to past history, that’s little comfort, Newcastle fans need to get behind Bruce and the lads as best as we can. There’s a new season ahead and the club has been hamstrung by the underhanded actions of the Premier League.

Who Was Newcastle Player Of The 2019-2020 Season

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

27 comments so far

  • The ledge

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:43 AM

    Comment #1

    https://t.co/Qw6wz7YI5L.
    Please sign lads

    6
  • Muz

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:44 AM

    Comment #2

    Both sides are willing participants in the deal. Very coordinated and very specific statements. The PL have forced their hands to turn to a more aggressive strategy.

    4
  • Timmers09

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:44 AM

    Comment #3

    (Sorry repost too slow to keep up with the blog posts)
    Well I haven’t commented on the blog for years, but I need a cathartic off load after probably 100 smug whatsapps from now “ex friends” and a hug.

    I can’t say im not surprised, the PL looks like many of these big organisations included Mr Ashley’s to be run by this swathe of poor middle managers that have be promoted above ability because good people didn’t want the jobs.

    There is no way lawyers from nearly 1 trillion pounds in total between all parties involved, couldn’t fill in the Owners Test (which is not as stringent as the PL want everyone to believe). Sure I get it morally, but morals are not in the test. Otherwise lets look at any owner, Roman clean cut no crimes there, great human rights in UAE, nothing dodgy at Bournemouth/Southampton with their fine calibre of money. Ashleys “work force” all up to spec no doubt no breaches there.
    I don’t believe a conspiracy about “oooh the top 6 protected” years ago it was the big 2 then the big 4 now the big 6, City were essentially us. Its pure incompetence by people that would rather lie than say “yup messed up” just shows weak draconian managers.

    I do believe Amanda when she says there are no other bidders, that’s correct. People interested of course, im interested but I can’t buy the club as the mrs wants a new Fitbit so got save for that.
    We will be sold but not for a few years, as 300m is too high a value and I just don’t see Ashley folding on that price knowing he had it once.

    6
  • Reilly

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:45 AM

    Comment #4

    Mike Ashley worked late into the night trying to rescue the takeover after the Saudi’s pulled their offer yesterday afternoon and released a statement. He is said to be “devastated” it has fallen through and reckons it’s his only chance of selling the club quickly. [Mirror]

    1
  • Northumbrian

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:46 AM

    Comment #5

    I’m always behind the team but have problems backing Bruce.

    5
  • hibbit

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:49 AM

    Comment #6

    more information been made available in the last 12 hours than the previous 4 months , but still but a word from the PL,

    2
  • Mund

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:50 AM

    Comment #7

    Tweet
    See new Tweets
    Conversation

    Peter Shilton
    @Peter_Shilton
    So sad to see such a great supported football club like Newcastle dragged through the media and treated with disrespect in the name of money. I think the patience of the fans is surely going to give way and gates could suffer when we get back to normal!
    @NUFC

    @newcastleherald

    11
  • Northumbrian

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:50 AM

    Comment #8

    Wraith on talk sport

    1
  • lochinvar

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:50 AM

    Comment #9

    Today I will mostly be sitting on me fence

    have the EPL gone away yet ?

    0
  • geordie157

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:51 AM

    Comment #10

    Thought there was talk of a signing today to lighten the mood.

    0
  • the crown princes nashers

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:51 AM

    Comment #11

    hibbit

    it shows there contempt, they dont give a shit about our club as long as they make money from it, cancel all sky tv deals as ive done yesturday at my mrs shock am going to give the club my money from now on, the PL can go to hell

    6
  • lochinvar

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:52 AM

    Comment #12

    The ledge

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:43 AM
    Comment #1

    https://t.co/Qw6wz7YI5L.
    Please sign lads

    watch it go up by the second, more fun than watching bein sports
    over 9,000 as we speak

    7
  • Romford mag

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:52 AM

    Comment #13

    Good morning ladies and gentlemen

    Petition all signed and shared 🙂

    5
  • the crown princes nashers

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:53 AM

    Comment #14

    I phoned sky tv yestuday and blew up, wasnt the blokes fault but I really let rip, I said the tv deal is gone ill cancel the direct debt done that this morning I said you have 3 days to pick your crap boxes or you will find them on the street end of phone call 🙂

    16
  • Muz

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:53 AM

    Comment #15

    Just think back to the BZG fiasco – it became nothing, no comments from the club, no comments from the buyers. Just vanished. Leaving fans in the dark, very angry and some even despairing.

    This is totally different. The club that’s usually quiet on these things has made a fuppin’ statement! And it’s not even a statement that certifies the deal as dead. “Never say never”, “IS committed to THIS deal” – very specific wording coming out of them as opposed to the usual ambiguous and generic waffle.

    I’m meant to be working, got loads on but it’s like some TV drama that I can’t drag myself away from. I should be angry and disappointed, (I am to a certain extent), but I’m also quite excited because I see this, somehow, as progress in some manner.

    4
  • lochinvar

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:55 AM

    Comment #16

    Put an amended deal back before the EPL

    They’ve done all the tests already so that’s taken care of

    No reasons then for any delays

    The EPL then HAVE to make a decision within days or otherwise will be fully exposed fro what they are – a shambolic xxxxxxxx of xxxxxxxx and xxxxxxx not forgetting their xxxxxxxx

    Sign here please Amanda, Mike.

    5
  • The ledge

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:58 AM

    Comment #17

    Let’s not lay down on this even if it comes to nothing I’m sick of being laughed at by other supporters because they think all Newcastle fans do is bend over and take it .
    Its time to push back and see what happens.

    6
  • Timmers09

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:58 AM

    Comment #18

    @Muz,

    I want to agree with the wording but I really think you are giving them too much credit for even thinking like that. I think that statement was to be put out at the beginning of the season when there was still no update. They gone “quick use template 2, font Ariel size 12 send!” Phew statement out, chill for 18 months

    3
  • lochinvar

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:59 AM

    Comment #19

    maybe the EPL are trying to break Ashley as he needs the dollar for his other business interests

    probably because he didn’t want to join the private club that runs the show or they didn’t want to share pizza with him

    vested interests in politics, business and organisations is always murky waters, just look at the MP’s

    1
  • Harrogate mag

    Jul 31, 2020 at 10:59 AM

    Comment #20

    Rom…you ok mate

    1
  • Romford mag

    Jul 31, 2020 at 11:02 AM

    Comment #21

    Morning Harrogate

    Yeah I’m ok thanks bud 🙂
    Hope your ok 2day mate ?

    2
  • Muz

    Jul 31, 2020 at 11:02 AM

    Comment #22

    Nah Timmers – if it were dead they’d have said as much, the statement would have been more like “Mike tried his hardest to sell but unfortunately the deal couldn’t get across the line. We’ll now focus on the upcoming season and getting the players and deals made”

    The statement from the club is specific and says he remains committed to this deal. Staveleys’ statement says the same.

    4
  • Harrogate mag

    Jul 31, 2020 at 11:05 AM

    Comment #23

    Spot on Rom…did a pick up for r kid down in Grantham early doors..set off at 5 n now back home chilling mate…grand day out there today

    1
  • Timmers09

    Jul 31, 2020 at 11:08 AM

    Comment #24

    Muz ill take a glass of your positivity. I really do not think they have that ability to think about how they word a statement. If they say “yeah deals dead” any fans on the fence about season ticket renewal or 65 pound shirts might go good day sir. Whereas this way it keeps people hoping until window shuts.

    3
  • Adamn_92

    Jul 31, 2020 at 11:33 AM

    Comment #25

    First time commenting on the site, just felt I needed somewhere to vent my frustration that’s been brewing the last 4 months. What a complete joke it’s all been.

    For what it’s worth, here’s my two cents on what I think has happened. I believe the premier league were deliberately making it as awkward/impossible as they could to annoy PIF in the hope they would pull out. Trying to restructure a deal they had already agreed with ridiculous things such as making the Saudi state the director of the club. Eventually this all got too frustrating for PIF and they withdrew.
    I think they decided to pull out when they did because of the opening of the transfer window and the season starting again in just over a month. The delay got to the point where they would not have enough time to get things into place for next season; transfers, improvements to facilities, potential new manager and sponsorship (don’t know what happened with fun88 but doubt they wanted it), making it less appealing of an investment.

    I would love for this not to be over but I think any potential continuation of this takeover will be without PIF backing. Their comments and that of Jamie Reuben make it sound like they no longer see it as a good investment and are fed up dealing with the premier league. If any deal continues to go on I think it will be purely led by Amanda and any new investment she can secure. Which unfortunately would mean having to go through the tests again because of new investors.

    Sorry to put a downer on things and I really hope i’m wrong, but I think any takeover would now happen way into next season. All I can see happening with this PIF backed one is potential court cases and a war of words.

    3
  • Sav

    Jul 31, 2020 at 11:56 AM

    Comment #26

    10% Stavely/PCP, 10% Reuben Bros, 31% Mauriss and 49% PIF and you’ve got a deal with Saudi’s largest but still minority shareholding, Business, Construction and Media experience and a big enough stake to justify further Saudi investment in sponsorship and local infrastructure. We know, given half a chance, the club will generate much of its own future investment.

    1
  • toonedout

    Aug 1, 2020 at 9:10 AM

    Comment #27

    Reporting fans are devastated and feel like they are back to square one is an understatement at best – this is a rigged and corrupt system – too much money at the top of the game for it not to be – in equal measure, the football / entertainment we as Newcastle fans are given is shite – I live on the memories of what we once were (20-25 years ago) and should have called it a day years ago – secondly in the current climate we are and will be more so, desperate for investment in the area – neglected by every government in power over my lifetime -this will not change and this takeover would have, could have changed so much and given so much hope – at the moment I am finished with the game totally, fk the premier league, fk Ashley – give me my 20/21 season ticket money back and I will be on my way

    1


You must log in to post a comment.