web analytics

Complete Shock – Charnley Acknowledges Takeover Attempt In Short Statement – So He’s Still On Planet Earth

We have heard not a word from Lee Charnley and Newcastle United, since the Amanda Staveley consortium lodged their takeover bid on April 9th – nothing.

In recent weeks we have heard that statement being issued – it’s business as usual at Newcastle.

That’s code for there continues to be no ambition at the club, very little money to spend and our goal is to stay in the Premier League next season while spending the least amount of money possible.

Mike Ashley with his chief crony – Lee Charnley

And Mike Ashley’s top crony at Newcastle is Managing Director Lee Charnley, and he has issued this short statement as reported in the Chronicle to say in effect he is still on planet earth:

“We acknowledge yesterday’s statement.”

“Never say never, but to be clear Mike Ashley is 100% committed to this deal (sale).”

“However, our current focus must now be on supporting Steve Bruce in the transfer market and on the preparations for the new season.”

So when there is communication from the club that’s what it is.

For Newcastle fans the news was earth-shattering and indeed it was news around the world because Saudi Arabia was involved.

You can never accuse Lee Charnley of having the passion, desire, and ambition that Ms. Amanda Staveley shows for the club.

He’s simply a lackey for Mike Ashley.

Who Was Newcastle Player Of The 2019-2020 Season

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• geordie157

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:36 AM

This deal…. hmm

Deal feels pretty dead to me

• SuperShearer

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:36 AM

Does anyone know how to contact Amanda? I love her, she loves the Toon and I want to beg her not to give up on us. I’m only half-serious, clearly, she has better things to do with her time than hear from this clown but…. she was to be our saviour.

• Timmers09

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:38 AM

(Sorry repost too slow)
    Well I haven’t commented on the blog for years, but I need a cathartic off load after probably 100 smug whatsapps from now “ex friends” and a hug.

I can’t say im not surprised, the PL looks like many of these big organisations included Mr Ashley’s to be run by this swathe of poor middle managers that have be promoted above ability because good people didn’t want the jobs.

There is no way lawyers from nearly 1 trillion pounds in total between all parties involved, couldn’t fill in the Owners Test (which is not as stringent as the PL want everyone to believe). Sure I get it morally, but morals are not in the test. Otherwise lets look at any owner, Roman clean cut no crimes there, great human rights in UAE, nothing dodgy at Bournemouth/Southampton with their fine calibre of money. Ashleys “work force” all up to spec no doubt no breaches there.
    I don’t believe a conspiracy about “oooh the top 6 protected” years ago it was the big 2 then the big 4 now the big 6, City were essentially us. Its pure incompetence by people that would rather lie than say “yup messed up” just shows weak draconian managers.

I do believe Amanda when she says there are no other bidders, that’s correct. People interested of course, im interested but I can’t buy the club as the mrs wants a new Fitbit so got save for that.
    We will be sold but not for a few years, as 300m is too high a value and I just don’t see Ashley folding on that price knowing he had it once.

• curmon

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:48 AM

When the petition is completed here is a question that should be raised with regards to the suitability of ownership.

In the book Putin’s People by Catherine Belton, published a couple of months ago, it clearly states that Abramovich was instructed to buy Chelsea FC, to further the interests of the Russian State in the west. If Putin the head of the Russian State is deemed to be a fit and proper owner, even though he hides behind Abramovich, then there are no grounds to deny PIF as being unfit owners. Precedence should be quoted in any communication with the authorities or PL.

• JohnJ

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:19 AM

Sorry re-post missed the bus – again!

I have just emailed Mr Masters at info@premierleague.com

For the attention of Richard Masters.

Hello,

As a lifelong Newcastle United to say I’m disappointed with yesterday’s news is a massive understatement!

The chance for Newcastle United to move forward with hope has now, it would seem, gone. I would also wish to say that there are many, many, thousands of other fans of NUFC who feel exactly the same way that I do.

I’m in my seventies and the only silverware that my team have lifted, in my time as a supporter, was the Inter Cities Fairs Cup back in 1969 however I do recall how Newcastle United were loved as everyone’s second team when Kevin Kegan took us so close to winning the Premier League and also with Sir Bobby Robson who also came very close to winning the first top prize
    (1st Division/Premier league) since !926/27. That’s a long, long, time to wait!!!

I feel you owe it to the fans, not just of Newcastle United to all football fans to explain why you were unable to make a decision since the application was lodged with the Premier League and please don’t talk about confidentiality because in this instance it just does not wash.

With great sadness