web analytics

Magpies Take To Social Media After Dream Start To The Season

It’s very early days but the lads have gotten off to a dream start with an away win at the London Stadium marking the first time Newcastle have won their first match since 2012.

There were some terrific performances throughout the team. In fact, no Magpie had a bad outing. Our three new lads really looked the part with Callum Wilson and Jeff Hendrick opening their accounts on their debuts.

There’s not much rest to be had before Bruce and the boys go again. On Tuesday evening, Blackburn come to town for the second round of the Carabao Cup. Bruce has made a point to prioritize the cups so we expect him to name a rotated but very strong side.

However, Newcastle have started the season with a great win and that was a theme from some of the lads who took to social media after the game to express their joy with the excellent start to this season.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match In Win At West Ham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• JohnReese

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:00 PM

One thing I noticed with Hendrick, in the first half he seemed to drift more centrally and with then having 3 deep, defensive mids it made things very congested.

Second half he seemed to stick wide right more and only moved centrally after their changes to exploit the space.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:09 PM

Just want to repeat my comment from last night.

Hows that, a goal and an assist for my pick as POS, anyone else select him? ?

very smug emoji*

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:11 PM

Catchy

And to repeat my comment to Hexham (Jib) welcome back.

Always happy to see old regulars posting again even if I don’t always agree with them! ๐Ÿ™‚

• t hibbitt

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:12 PM

thought the liverpool/leeds game was a good watch, and that it was played at a much quicker tempo/pace then or own game,

• Kevin Vegan

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:15 PM

I thought Hendrick averaged out over the 90 minutes to a fairly bog standard game. He looked a little clumsy at times especially early on, not the best first touches and found himself in ineffective positions a few times. Decision making could improve, as could his ball control. He worked hard though and credit to him for a well taken finish and a nicely weighted pass for the assist, but both goals were fairly simple and resulted from defensive errors rather than brilliant creative attacking.

Both Wilson and Hendrick were afforded far too much space for their chances. We won’t get opportunities like that every week.

I went Maxi for MOTM. Thought both Wilson and Lewis were more solid on their debuts than Hendrick personally, fewer mistakes and seemed more comfortable over the whole 90 minutes.

Honourable mentions for Lascelles and Manquillo, too. I thought both performed well.

Hendrick had some good moments, but needs to tighten up and cut some of the little errors. Not just him, too. There were a few slack moments that almost cost us. Darlow switching off and having to rely on the crossbar to make the save was concerning. That sloppy back-pass late on in the first half was a dodgy moment too, as was Darlow’s slip as he rushed out.

West Ham may have failed to punish is for our mistakes, but other teams will pounce on them if we don’t cut them out.

Can’t complain about starting off with 3 points against a side that weren’t a long way behind us come the end of the last campaign.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:16 PM

Ed

SB can rest ASM, Big Andy and several others against Blackburn with no problem as we now have squad players who can step up without weakening the team.

• Kevin Vegan

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:19 PM

EGB

You mean you didn’t vote Sorenson for POTS? Shocking news ๐Ÿ˜‰

• GhostToon

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:21 PM

Wilson is definitely a steal at 20m.

I’m still buzzing we finally have a striker that will terrorise defences this season. Quick, confident, lethal and with that predator instinct.

Spuds must be kicking themselves they didnt snap him up.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:22 PM

KV

Needs to be getting into the squad first, be interesting to see if him, Toure or White gets picked for the squad against Blackburn!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:24 PM

Why do I keep being asked to agree to accept cookies every time I post?

• ToonTime

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:25 PM

So! The pundits on match of the day who played a combined 40 years in the top division thought Hendrick was superb.

Kevin ‘who the foot is he’ Vegan thought he was Bog Standard!

I’ll be back in an hour after I’ve chewed that one over.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:27 PM

KV

Bog standard player, what game did you watch, hope all of our players are equally bog standard for the rest of the season!

• GhostToon

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:29 PM

ToonTime

Pmsl

• Kevin Vegan

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:32 PM

EGB

Given the general lack of opportunities for younger players at the club recently I think successful loan spell would probably be required from him before he’s given a run in the firsts. I can see Muto or Joelinton starting the cup ties, hopefully to raise interest in a January sale of either or both. Then there’ll be a slot for Sorenson for you!!

• beermonkey

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:36 PM

I bet if you told the vegan the sky is green he will argue itโ€™s purple

Can rest a few for the cup match tues with an eye on Brighton match on Sunday

• fairscup

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:37 PM

BOG STANDARD – you looking for trouble again vegan?

Over 1000 fans must be wrong and you must be right eh!

• Kevin Vegan

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:37 PM

EGB

Averaged out, I think so. He was poor in the first half, redeemed himself in the second. Two kicks of the ball are the reason he won the blog’s MOTM vote I’d say, where over the whole 90 minutes I think a case could be made for 4 or 5 others claiming MOTM.

• Kevin Vegan

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:39 PM

Fairscup,

Never looking for trouble mate, just stating my opinion. Not sure why anyone would view someone else having a different opinion on a footballer as “looking for trouble” to be honest.

By the way, 1700 fans didn’t vote for Hendrick so the overwhelming majority that voted agree with me that he wasn’t MOTM, but appeals to majority are poor arguments anyway so let’s not bother going over that one.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:40 PM

Watching the full match again and it’s apparent how often Hendrick took up smart positions in the box.

Pretty much every attack he was ghosting in there from the first whistle.

Wide midfielder, box-to-box inside winger, call it what you like, but he took to his assigned role like a duck to water as did the other two debutantes. Linked up really well with Manquillo in both defence and attack. West Ham didn’t get a sniff from that side.

Said last week I expect him to be like his compatriot Clarke. On the fringes of being a first XI player and when he does get a chance will be difficult to drop.

It’s funny watching it back and the comparing it with his detractors criticisms.

In the first 4 minutes he wins the ball back (only one in our midfield to this aside from Hayden who is a machine), retains possession to keep an attack alive after a loose pass to him and gets into the box when Lewis crosses. Only mistake in the whole first half was one poor touch on 12mins, some supposed fans latched on to this and jumped all over him. Very odd given how many players had a moment like this.

Other notable contributions 1st half – intercepts around 23-25 mins. Blocked an Antonio shot in the box, blocks a cross from coming in. Lots of neat passing, one good one into Wilson on the edge of the box.

Then we all know about the 2nd half when even those gagging to put him down for some reason had to applaud.

Couldn’t ask for more on a debut.

• fairscup

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:41 PM

Aye OK pal.

• hexhamtoon

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:44 PM

Kevin is your mum called Mary ?

Cos you are quite contrary

I think Hayden , who I like , does look like a defender converted to a MF and his defender background can get him in trouble with the ref when trying to break up the opposition play.
    Kendrick on the other hand is a good midfielder who seems able to do all the bits and pieces required , his break up of opposition play is much more subtle
    and more effective in its way.

• Bigjim67

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:45 PM

Kevin
    I must’ve been watching the wrong player last night.
    Bog standard
    Lol

• Romford mag

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:45 PM

Thought Hendrick had a decent game ๐Ÿ™‚

A definite upgrade from bentaleb imo ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Romford mag

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:46 PM

Oops sorry

Good afternoon everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

• Darnik

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:49 PM

My opinion on Hendrick’s performance was he had one or two loose touches first half but other than that he played well and he helped manquillo out no end, not to mention he was playing out of position so all in all I’d say he had a good debut

• Romford mag

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:50 PM

Actually I thought all the new lads were very good along with the rest of the players ๐Ÿ™‚

HWTL

• Mund

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:52 PM

I was one of the few who gave Hendricks a bit of stick at half time and like most praised him after full time.

Not only did he surprise me with his quality it gave me a lot more confidence that he could play a big part this year. He is a lot better footballer as I had him down for. Great second half.

Said earlier and will say now anyone says different they are clueless and donโ€™t come back at me with opinions and all that crap because itโ€™s wrong.

• GhostToon

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:52 PM

Afternoon Romford

๐Ÿ™‚

• t hibbitt

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:53 PM

if your a player joining a new club that’s the kind of debut you dream of, it doesn’t get much better than that,

• Romford mag

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:53 PM

Ghost

Afternoon bud ๐Ÿ™‚

Didn’t keep you up to late last night did I ๐Ÿ˜‰

• fairscup

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:55 PM

I agree Jib nobody wants to see Isaac coming at them.

Tremendous tough tackler and his worth is very much underated, I’m over the moon he’s signed a new long term deal.

• Ketsbaia9

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:55 PM

Jeff Hendrick was the big surprised for me yesterday. He was awesome in the second half. Passing was very good down the line and had the determination to take players on. No wonder AC Milan wanted to sign him. Probably worth ยฃ20m himself. Almiron has to start. Shown yesterday that he’s the best player in the squad.

• GhostToon

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:56 PM

Romford

I had a messy one on Fri night so didnt have the stamina last night was too cream crackered lol

Great tunes though bud ๐Ÿ™‚

• Romford mag

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:56 PM

fairscup

I definitely agree about Hayden ๐Ÿ™‚

• bettyswallocks

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:58 PM

KV…………. Bog Standard ?? Is that as in Toilet or waterlogged ground bog?

• Mund

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:58 PM

Kids are out at friends housesโ€™s, my mates round, got a Footy Manager league going and Super Sunday in the back ground. Donโ€™t get much better than that for a lazy Sunday.

• Romford mag

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:58 PM

Ghost
    aye , can’t do what we used to bud ๐Ÿ˜‰
    And some proper Banger’s mate ๐Ÿ˜€

• coming home

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:00 PM

Hendrick was very average first half (understandably) but second half showed good intelligence and great composure and awareness he will be good for us without being spectacular

• Markaccus

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:01 PM

Caught the last half hour or so of the game last night, and watched Motd this morning. Have to say (putting the goal scoring debuts aside) that I was really impressed with Lewis. He looked really calm defensively, and got forward a fair few times. Made a pest of himself. I loved the way he took that high ball down on his chest near the end, so much composure I thought it was asm at first, before I remembered he’d been subbed.

• GhostToon

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:05 PM

Romford

Tell me about it was proper hanging yesterday.

Quality tunes though mate we pulled out some right corkers