web analytics

Shearer Impressed With New Signing, Striker Linked With Move To Spain, And Roma Winger On The Radar – Today’s News Roundup

Alan Shearer raved about Callum Wilson’s display at West Ham during Match of the Day, Yoshinori Muto is linked with a move to Spain, and a report claims Newcastle have enquired about a loan move for Roma’s Cengiz Under.

Here is the roundup of today’s articles and news from The Newcastle United Blog.

• Our player ratings for the West Ham win reveal a balanced and professional display.
  • Mike Ashley was at the London Stadium and witnessed the instant impact of the new signings.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match In Win At West Ham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Dragon64

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:14 PM

this might of bean asked before. but just want to ask the question.
    if they came in with Ashley 40% pif40% Rubens 10% Staveley 10% could Ashley the sell the other 40% say after 6months to pif or does it still have to go with premier league or am I thinking to much?????.
    the way I look at it Ashley has already done checks and he is selling his shares???

• carltoon

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:21 PM

Jail, we went to the park and ride, to go into Norwich, my husband asked a bloke about how much the parking or if we had to pay, he looked at us then said it’s free if your from South Shields, ha ha, I mean my man is quite a nice talker, apparently this bloke had went to Uni, and worked in Newcastle for a few years. So he was a wee bit out as we’re from North Shields. It’s a small world. 🙂

• RobLeenio

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:31 PM

Cheers Martoon, great to have you running this competition again this season, and those stats are interesting. I’m hoping this squad can surprise us all and do a bit better than 11th, but we’ll see.

• RobLeenio

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:34 PM

Munster, not sure how you heard that Lincoln is a bit rough, it’s a sleepy and beautiful Cathedral city, quite well-to-do and with a lot of history.

I lived just outside there for a couple of years in my teens, had a Summer job at the Walkers crisp factory and had many a night out on a great pub crawl that starts at the top of a street called Steep Hill. You wouldn’t want to start at the bottom.

• simon376

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:46 PM

Carltoon

All the best people come from South Shields, though North Shields ones are really canny as well

• NUFC_Stevo

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:09 AM

I’m a new poster to the blog but I have been following for a year so I feel as kind of already know a few of you already.

I was a former season ticket holder for about ten years before I moved to Norway three years ago. I miss going to the games but not the terrible football.

Great result on Saturday and decent performance too, so maybe that is going to change and we’re going to see more attractive football for this coming season.

Oh and I’m top of the fantasy league 🙂

• RobLeenio

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:20 AM

Welcome Stevo, always good to see a new poster, I’ll look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Mind, if you’re beating Jail on the Fantasy League then you’ve probably already annoyed him.

😉

• Nicky the ball tosser

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:27 AM

“Steve Bruce………says Carroll-Wilson partnership will terrify defenders.”

True, but how often will they both be fit to start?

None the less, great front two who’ll make all the difference to us, when they are both on the pitch for us together.

• Tonyd3b54

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:37 AM

If we play well the first 5 beating Brighton and burnley while nicking results at spurs and man u we could be in a champions league place after 5 games. When’s the last time we could say that?

• Nicky the ball tosser

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:52 AM

having said that, I still think Bruce’s more favored setup will be 4231.

Something like,

………………….Dubravka.
    Manquillo…Lascelles…Fede…Lewis.
    ……………Shelvey….Hayden.
    …..Fraser……..Almiron……..St Max.
    ………………….Wilson.

With Hendrick, Joelinton and Longstaff all getting plenty of games too, and Carroll also getting plenty of games coming off the bench.

• FloridaToon

Sep 14, 2020 at 2:01 AM

A little late, but wanted to watch the match again before giving my opinion. First, a good win. Unlike like last season when I felt a lot of the games we got points by shear luck, I felt these 3 pts. were well deserved. The 4-4-2 was a surprise but credit to Bruce for trying something new and it seemed to work, because if it hadn’t worked he would have got the criticism.

My MOM was Wilson. Not just for the goal but he always seemed to get himself in good positions inside the box and worked hard all game. Others did really well and about anyone for MOM wouldn’t be a bad choice.

Liked what I saw from Lewis. His crosses seemed to always find someone which is different from the norm of…lets cross it and hope it finds someone.

If we are going to stick with a 4-4-2 we definitely need another forward. I don’t think Wilson and Carroll can go all season given there injury records.

My only real criticism is Bruce, as always, seems to not want to make substitutions. Not sure why but he left the subs for way to late and its not the first time. Great start to the season and long may the wins continue.

• lesh

Sep 14, 2020 at 3:12 AM

Munster

You asked: ‘Any takers on that appointee, grimthorpe or something? Is that true etc?’

Errr, could you repeat the question?

• lesh

Sep 14, 2020 at 3:26 AM

RobLeenio

You mentioned Lincoln and in particular Steep Hill and that reminded me of a time when I went for a job interview at Ruston Gas Turbines’ plant in 1981.

What struck me was the walk from the railway station up a very steep hill (Steep Hill?) the Cathedral being prominent in view. I was knackered when I got to RGT’s site!

And, no, I didn’t get it and stayed with the then NEI, later to become part of Rolls-Royce, for another 21 years until they closed my little unit.

Anyway, that’s enough.

Be safe all and look forward to the Champions League next season.

Hey ho.

• lesh

Sep 14, 2020 at 3:36 AM

Correction

……another *18* years until they closed my little unit.

There’s proof of another million brain cells gone – there can’t be many left now!

And, endorsements aren’t necessary.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 14, 2020 at 7:29 AM

Would be a bit worried if we were looking to play Carroll and Wilson up front in loads of games

Suited us against West Ham as they are a lump it long , set piece kind of team but there are only a few other teams that do that us, Burnley and Sheffield United where it will probably work

Against Brighton would like to see us go at them with our pace so keep the same team but put Almiron instead of Carroll and essentially go 433

• Mund

Sep 14, 2020 at 7:30 AM

Morning all

Wonder if we will be treated to some rumours today.

• hexhamtoon

Sep 14, 2020 at 7:43 AM

• martoon

Sep 14, 2020 at 7:49 AM

Morning all, repost from last night in case anybody missed it –
    Thanks to everybody who took part in this year’s prediction game – a very impressive 107 posters took part which kept me out of mischief for a while :mrgreen:

I’ve ran some stats on the figures and using mean/mode we get an average of:
    11th in the league with 49 points reaching the 5th round of both FA & League Cups. Top Goal Scorer with a massive 86% is Wilson with an average of 13 goals followed by Almiron with 6.5% and then Carroll with 3.7%. Player of the Season is Saint-Maximin, again, with a massive 61.7% followed by Fraser with 11.2% and then Wilson & Almiron with 6.5%.

Finally this was for a bit of fun but the vast majority, with 81.3%, thought Bruce will still be the manager at end of the season followed by Pochettino & Howe with 6.5%.

I have found in previous years that the averages have not been far away from the actual ones especially League Position & Points – let’s see this year!

• GhostToon

Sep 14, 2020 at 7:52 AM

Thanks martoon

Crackin work you are doing

• GhostToon

Sep 14, 2020 at 7:54 AM

Mund

Be interesting to see if theres any legs with that Soumare rumour.

• Mund

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:01 AM

Ghost

I’m just waiting to see if we spend anymore money and if we do say around another 30-40M then that speaks volumes to me mate.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:05 AM

Had a shocking week on the FPL this week. Spurs assets let me down big style 🙁

• Mund

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:06 AM

Jail

I’ve got to say mate I’m really surprised you had any spurs lot in your team.

It’s not the players it’s the manager and Mourinho isn’t good enough.

• sing in the corner

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:06 AM

Cup team Consett AFC!
    Not only heading to Wembley for the FA Vase final,but now through to the FA Cup 1st Qualifying round after beating..
    Wait for this ..
    Sunderland RCW 🙂 and Ossett Utd in the preliminary rounds last week.
    Up the mighty Conny army!

• Mund

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:08 AM

Still got 3 players to play yet

• RobLeenio

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:09 AM

Lesh, absolutely that was the eponymous Steep Hill. With the Lion and Snake at the top which was the start of our pub crawl, right by the cathedral and the castle.

Shame you didn’t get the job, I think you’d have enjoyed Lincoln’s music scene. It seemed like every pub had a band on done nights.

At least that’s how I remember it, anyway.

😉

• GhostToon

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:10 AM

Mund

Yeah definitely I agree. Its not just the transfers though which are strange its the speed we have been getting them over the line. Compared to the long drawn transfer windows we are use to.

Also players like Wilson we would normally miss out on them as we’d be arguing over a few pounds here and there rather than just paying what the market value.

• GhostToon

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:12 AM

Jail

Same here I thought every club was playing this Saturday. Didnt realise Man U and Man City games were postponed. Doh!

• hexhamtoon

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:14 AM

Sky News
    Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi faces a charge of incitement to criminal mismanagement at a court in Switzerland from today.
    He is also the chairman of beIN Media Group

• GhostToon

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:14 AM

Excuse any typos the coffee hasnt kicked in yet!

• Mund

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:15 AM

Ghost

Agree on all and it’s my opinion that the consortium and Ashley are in union and working together even on transfers as both see in the foreseeable future they will both get what they want.

• GhostToon

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:20 AM

Mund

Me too theres something going on. I think its a case of protecting the future sale. For example if the takeover doent happen until Nov or Dec then they dont want to be stuck in the relegation zone come Jan.

• RobLeenio

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:22 AM

I think the Soumare deal could be on. I seem to remember he was put off by the training facilities in January, when ASM have him a video tour. Could the rumours of the training ground update be linked?

After all, a £5 million spend on facilities is nothing compared to £35 million on a player who could be worth £80 – £100 million in the future.

And be nice, I’m just thinking out loud.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:23 AM

Mund,
    They had a good run of form in restart, they are top of the easiest opening six fixtures ticket, they haven’t lost an opening day game for years and haven’t lost to Everton in the PL since 2012 and are Kane’s highest scoring team, it wasn’t a blind punt 😮

• Lindisfarne

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:26 AM

“”Carroll’s challange is looking after body

Angelo Ogbonna and Issa Diop were terrified of Andy Carroll. The West Ham centre-backs had no idea how to handle their old teammate. Carroll made his presence felt from the start – the forward was fortunate to escape censure after catching Tomas Soucek in the first minute – and looked in good shape as Newcastle opened their campaign with a 2-0 win at the London Stadium. The 31-year-old bullied West Ham in the air, linked the play and had a good understanding up front with Callum Wilson, who scored the opener on his Newcastle debut. But do not get carried away. As ever the question with Carroll is whether he can stay fit. His effectiveness is not in doubt but injuries have prevented him from making the most of his talent. The challenge for Carroll is taking care of his body. If he does then no defender will relish marking him.””
    Jacob Steinberg

• GhostToon

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:27 AM

Rob

You might have something there. He would be an awesome player to build the team around. Would also give us more energy and speed through the middle. I think there is just too much distance between our midfield and forwards sometimes.

Would also like Loftus-Cheek on loan alongside him as he plays direct too.

• Northumbrian

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:28 AM

Nice little mass brawl at PSG last night 5 players sent off.

• GhostToon

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:30 AM

Doubt we’d get 2 midfielders though with Hendrick and Matt Longstaff signing unless we ditched Shelvey to West Ham

• Mund

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:42 AM

Jail

I know it wasn’t a punt but for me I saw them struggling this year, plenty time to sort that tho.

• hexhamtoon