web analytics

The Premier League Issues A Joint Statement After Government Meeting On Supporters

The Premier League has issued a joint statement with other sporting entities, including the FA and EFL, on the return of fans to sporting events.

Here is the statement in full:

We are grateful to Oliver Dowden, Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport in the United Kingdom, for taking the time to discuss with us the financial impact that COVID-19 is having on the sports sector and issues around the partial return of fans to sports events which is currently under review by the Government. It was a constructive and productive meeting.

All of our organisations are committed to public safety.

Today we were able to explain our extensive arrangements for how we can manage a controlled return of fans following all relevant public health guidelines. It is our firm belief that sports fans will be as safe as in other areas of activity currently permitted.

We also reiterated a commitment to continue to give full assistance to the Government with Test and Trace requirements and public health messaging.

We conveyed to the Secretary of State the very serious financial situation now facing our sports, clubs and venues and that we believe we can stage events safely.

It is clear that if fans cannot return soon that there will be very serious economic implications across our sporting sector.

Our sports have already demonstrated through staging fixtures Behind Closed Doors, in Test events and through the return of recreational sport that we can deliver the very highest standards in safety and best practice.

We will continue to engage with the Government in the days ahead and provide any further evidence required.

This statement details the issues that the league and other sporting entities discussed with the government during their meeting on fan attendance this afternoon.

It is clear that the Premier League is fully committed to having supporters return as soon as possible. They also feel they are sufficiently prepared to mitigate any potential setbacks a return of fans would entail.

Recently, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that the plan to have fans back in a limited capacity by next month would need to be revised due to an uptick in coronavirus cases.

This was met with some resistance from the Premier League who claimed it was priority number one to have fans return quickly. Other members of the government seem to be on board with this as well.

Yesterday, Sports Minister Nigel Huddleston’s letter to a fellow MP was revealed where he stated that the government understood the repercussions of continuing to play in empty stadiums and was working towards allowing fans back as soon as possible.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match Against Blackburn?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• simon376

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:51 PM

• peter5199

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:57 PM

I am just happy when people throw flowers on my comments rather than pig…….

• peter5199

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:58 PM

My God Simon, did our avatars meet in a previous life?

• Australian Pie

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:59 PM

Cisse? Are you kidding me lol, we couldn’t make a more stupid signing. Needs to be a young striker who can play up top and on a wing like Nketiah or Brewster etc

• peter5199

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:00 PM

And I told you I would be back from the pub on Sunday at 13:00

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:00 PM

Anarchy!!!

• Mund

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:00 PM

Simon

The bus is primed mate and ready to go.

Hope we hear more on what’s happening sooner rather than later or at least transfer news to wet the appetite at least

• RobLeenio

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:00 PM

I think the parents of your avatars definitely know each other

• peter5199

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:01 PM

Which is what my elder brothers always said

• peter5199

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:02 PM

RobLeenio

I know. worrying

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:05 PM

If any fpl players are looking to jump on the Saiss bus he’s due for a 0.1M price hike, those stuck with footin Vinegar are looking at a 0.1 decrease 🙁

• simon376

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:07 PM

Yeah Peter, think we are brothers

• simon376

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:07 PM

Mund

Yeah sure its getting closer, got my Cans in ready for the trip

• peter5199

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:08 PM

Jail, up your game.

infamy! infamy…they all have it infamy

Classic Carry on line

• simon376

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:09 PM

Australian

Totally agree, need a younger lad but I think he could be the good backup as well to have on the bench and come on, cover for Gayle, Muto etc

• peter5199

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:10 PM

muto now spanish

• peter5199

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:11 PM

espanyol?

• lochinvar

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:15 PM

News in the Chronicle today that Newcastle United are giving a trial to 23-year-old Frenchman bad boy Florent Indalecio.

French bad boys are welcome.
    HBA anyone?

• peter5199

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:16 PM

In better news, Newcastle United did not play as as bad as last night this afternoon. I will admit, a Pug did nutmeg Lacelles, went on to goal and did threw a misdirect to Dubs. But that is just my Puglet

• Just a fan

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:22 PM

Mund
    While your positive attitude is good it may be misplaced.
    You were positive super positive last time but gilch
    Mr negative toon22 has been right every time
    Who do I believe?

• Australian Pie

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:23 PM

Lochinvar – I played at a higher level in Australia than where this trialist has come from, I’m no where near good enough for the toon

• TomaKaThor

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:29 PM

I don’t miss seing the ball bounce a mile of cisse everytime the ball was played into his feet, makes Joelinton first touch look worldclass

• Mund

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:32 PM

JAF

Think about it for a second mate.

The last time is still the time. What I’m saying is that deal is still alive and that same consortium what I’ve been so positive about are still working hard in the background to get this deal done. Now Ashley is a surprising ally in all this ever since his explosive statement.

My positivity has never wavered mate and will not any time soon. It’s my belief that in the end the deal will be approved and we will enter a new era with the help of the man we have hated for 13 years.

• Mund

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:34 PM

To add as well JAF me and 22 are aligned in our thinking because he knows for one thing how ruthless Ashley is and he knows that statement was a war cry and on top of that he knows how corrupt the top footballing authorities are at the premier league.

• mactoon

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:37 PM

Interpretation:

We realise that there is a pandemic that has killed thousands but we need the money so will get fans back into the grounds any way we can even though the fact that we have to make so many precautions shows it is too soon to do so.. but, erm.. we need the money.

• jane

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:37 PM

Mund will still be saying it’s happening in 5 years time to avoid being wrong.

• Mund

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:42 PM

There was a feeling I had way back before the disappointment of the Saudi pull out when we still believed (well most) we would enter a new era.

I felt at the time we would be waiting a lot longer than just the 5 month and had a feeling it could be way into the season if not end of season. It was a gut wrenching feeling that it wasn’t going to be passed but in the end it will be approved just going to take longer.

I get these weird moments in my life
    that I get a feeling that a lot of the time comes to life. It’s happened enough in my life to make me think, very weird.

• jane

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:43 PM

mactoon some clubs will go out of business otherwise.

• Mund

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:45 PM

Jane are you going to keep asking me rehashed questions but keep dodging the one I keep asking?

You won’t admit your wrong because you tell me I have to go get the posts for proof so answer me this are you denying saying that the takeover wasn’t with the premier league and there was no Saudi involvement. Are you denying saying that?

• Australian Pie

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:45 PM

Mactoon

You realise that diabetes kills millions each year, we don’t give a hoot about nutrition or physical activity.

This can be done safely, but I don’t really trust this shambles of a government to deliver

• Regan

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:46 PM

If all brides are beautiful. ….

Where do ugly wives come from

• Mund

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:47 PM

Regan lmao

• Australian Pie

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:47 PM

In Germany this year more people will die from suicide than covid

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:50 PM

mactoon,
    Are you the same mactoon that I have met and drank with, with a new e mail address and avatar or a completely different poster with the same name?

• magicmac54

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:52 PM

Mund how are you fella, there is simply no harm in expressing your opinion that the takeover has legs and still alive, many fans dont share your opinion including myself as in my view that ship has sailed, the saudis also clearly give thier reasons for pulling out, Steve Bruce also said just a few days ago the takeover is dead in the water, but ill tell you Mund nothing would give me more pleasure or delight in your opinion being correct fella, i would simply be in cloud nine if your opinion was correct, thats why i always respect others opinion and thats the way it should be on a football Blog.

• Just a fan

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:53 PM

So mund
    If it does not go through you will admit you are a guy who’s confidence overreaches his rachenal

• Australian Pie

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:55 PM

Just a fan

Poor spelling and grammar doesn’t usually bother me but that was a tough read

• Just a fan