web analytics

We Hope This Midfielder Will Perform To His Full Potential This Season

Sean Longstaff had a great first season two years ago at his hometown club.

That’s when the North Shields-born player burst onto the scene and formed an excellent partnership in the middle of the park with Isaac Hayden.

But then the 22 year-old had a knee injury early last year, which interrupted his season.

Last season he never seemed to have quite recovered from that knee injury, and he played 29 games with two goals.

He did have some good games such as in the 1-0 at home to Manchester United.

Thats’ when he partnered with his younger brother Matty in central midfield and over-ran the highly-priced (and over-priced) Manchester players in the 1-0 home win.

There’s no doubt Sean is a very good player when fully fit, but there will be even more competition for him this season.

Manager Steve Bruce has said this week that maybe Sean’s best position is as a number 10, and he does have an eye for goal.

Sean Longstaff – feels much fitter and stronger than last year

The good news is that Sean now feels fully fit again, and that’s a lot different from the way he felt a year ago.

This is some of what Sean Longstaff told NUFC TV:

“I feel much better now to be honest,”

“If you look at me now compared to this time last year – there’s a massive difference.”

“I feel much fitter, stronger and I think you could probably see that towards the end of last year. “

“The first half of the season wasn’t great for me but the second half I was a lot better.”

“Last year I got injured a lot and it was just a very stop/start campaign that killed me really.”

“So this year I’m just trying to fit and whenever that is an opportunity that comes my way give the manager some food for thought with the performances I put in. “

We are also delighted that his brother Matty has signed a new deal, even if it is only for a couple of years.

The brothers are top professionals, and we hope both of them come through to be great players for Newcastle United in the future.

That’s certainly possible.

What Will Be The Result Against Brighton On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• beermonkey

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:19 AM

Is old strolls still head of loans
    Or loans coordinator

• Australian Pie

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:20 AM

Can honestly say that a massive part in how well Sean did at the start was being alongside Hayden, they rarely play together but Hayden makes him and Shelvey better players

• Lindisfarne

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:24 AM

Shola is the…..

Loan Arranger

(qudos to George Caulkin)

• Ketsbaia9

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:25 AM

I would allow Sean Longstaff to go on loan to someone like Man Utd to get a bit more experience. I would also cash in on Hayden and get a much better player like Ibrahima Sissoko. We need power in the midfield.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:27 AM

Yeah the pair of them were snapping into tackles and playing the easy ball and supporting it. He hasn’t been at that level since, while Hayden has probably found another.

I do like Sean Longstaff though. He has a big skill set. Pretty much everything except real pace. I certainly think he has a future at this level.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:28 AM

Physically Sean should be dominating central midfield. His success at #10 is purely due to youthful enthusiasm but he does not have the technical ability to really be the creative fulcrum in a side. He needs plenty of games and coach that can develope his positioning, ball retention and, opposingly, dynamic passing.

• Lindisfarne