web analytics

This Failed Deal Has Adversely Affected Steve Bruce’s Transfer Plans

It was all set to happen around the time Newcastle brought in Callum Wilson and Ryan Fraser, but it was called of at the last moment.

Newcastle had arranged a season long loan deal for 25-year-old Arsenal defender Holding, who could play at right-back or center-back.

And with him coming in Bruce must have thought it was OK to let Florian Lejeune move to Alaves in Spain, to get some first team game time this season and finally recover from his two ACL knee injuries.

But then Arsenal manager suddenly had a change of mind, and told Bruce that Holding was no longer available, and he would be staying at the Gunners for the season.

We are sure Bruce still wants to bring in a defender who can play in central defense or on the right-hand side of the defense.

We now have Jamal Lewis on the left and another right back would have been good – a versatile defender.

Bruce cannot get Holding, who has looked very good at right-back for Arsenal in the opening league games: he would have been a good loan signing for us.

Can Bruce get Calum Chambers in on loan?

DeAndre Yedlin now reportedly wants to stay at Newcastle this season and see out his five-year contract with us.

We will have three right backs in the squad – Javier Manquillo, Emil Krafth and Yedlin, and Bruce may have given up on bringing in another defender.

But a similar player to Holding is available at Arsenal – 25-year-old former Southampton defender Calum Chambers, who Rafa fancied signing when he was at the club.

He is said to be available for £12M, but we doubt Newcastle have that kind of money available, and if we did, we should probably use it to sign another striker.

Calum can play in central defense or at right-back, and he has played over 150 times in the Premier League for Southampton and Arsenal.

He could come in and play at right-back for us this season, but it would have to be a loan deal, and we don’t even know if Bruce is trying to get the lad in on loan.

If we do have some money left we probably need another striker up front, whether that’s a permanent signing or on loan for the season with an option to buy next summer.

We have to do that by next  Monday when the transfer window closes.

Of course Bruce also needs to move out some surplus players like Rolando Aarons, Henri Saivet, and Achraf Lazaar.

We also expect 23 year-old midfielder Daniel Barlaser to be sent on loan again to Rotherham for the season, where he did very well last term.

How Will Newcastle Do At Newport County On Wednesday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• RobLeenio

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:14 AM

Repost – bit of research gone into this one.

Bruce actually has a good record of bringing on kids. Look at Andrew Robertson and Jarrod Bowen

Robertson “I did not think I was ready (to go to Hull) after only a year in full-time football with Dundee United and felt it would be better to wait, but I spoke to Steve for 15 or 20 minutes and he convinced me I was good enough for that level. For the two-and-a-half years I was with him he was different class and helped make me the player I am today.”

He also launched Jordan Henderson’s career at Sunderland, giving him his debut at 18 years of age.

I know there are a lot of valid criticisms to throw at Bruce, but I don’t think stalling the development of young players is one of them, the opposite is actually the case.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:15 AM

For our window to be a success and for a formation change to work under Bruce we really needed to upgrade the spine with a CB , Midfielder and a Striker

We got the striker we need but didn’t get the other players so now we are caught in this halfway house and then don’t have enough CB to go back to 343 every game either…..

What a mess still a couple of days in the window to rectify it!!

• RobLeenio

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:16 AM

Mund, chatting with the lads on Friday, we were laughing that when we were kids to make yourself seem ill you had to get creative with a hot water bottle and stick your fingers down your throat. It’s suddenly become a lot easier. Your daughter is not alone, I’m sure.

• Kevin Vegan

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:18 AM

I wonder if Lejeune’s loan deal includes an option to recall him.

Or Kell Watts’ deal.

We could do without losing Hayden from the midfield so I hope we’re not planning on using him at CB too much this season.

• Mund

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:23 AM

Robleenio

As soon as I heard and figured it was a blag to get sent home I thought if I was a kid now exactly how I was when I was a kid I’d be all over this as a way off school and can imagine like you say a lot of them now will be thinking the same.

• Regan

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:26 AM

I never used to fake illness. …

I just never went…

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:29 AM

Imo, Hayden will be used at CB at least fifteen times this season. That was for you BSIB in case I’m wrong 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:29 AM

Atsu will play at LWB at some point this season.

• Mund

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:36 AM

Kev I said at the time it was a mistake letting Watts go on loan and should of kept him around under the tutorage of Lascelles. Bruce just baffles me more and more every day.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:45 AM

And most incredibly, Joelinton will, at some point in the season be used as a centre forward 😮

• RobLeenio

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:48 AM

Anyone else getting more and more p!ssed off with this ‘new law’ that enforces us to not mix indoors?

I agree that enforcement is required in certain cases to ensure that we all battle this disease together.

However, how come we as a region are being targetted so specifically, when our local outbreak has been ongoing for about a fortnight, numbers of new cases have come down in recent days and never reached the same levels as new cases in places like Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool anyway, areas which have seen far more prolonged outbreaks stretching all the way back to July?

It’s absolutely rank that this is happening in such a way, without the consent of the local authorities and without the facts being accurately represented in the media.

I honestly think we’re being used as a case study in how will populations react to more extreme laws being passed, in which case it’s absolutely the wrong use of a law – having a Government flex its muscles to see what it can get away with is a scary precedent to set.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:52 AM

RobLeenio,
    If it stopped the likes of you knocking on my door I’m all for it 😀

• barkel

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:54 AM

I nearly spat my coffee out at that Jail 😀

• Mund

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:57 AM

“PIF have been approached by many clubs but they’d rather wait it out for Newcastle” #nufc

• cyprus

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:59 AM

Rob
    It’s for your and your family’s own good my man. These are only inconveniences and they save lives. Patience. And cooperation.

So, this Peruvian isn’t ready to battle, he’s for the future?

We need a Silva now.

And a Suarez. 5.5 million?! For one of the best forwards in the world? With his fitness? What a bargain!

• RobLeenio

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:59 AM

Lol, Jail – I know you love me really.

😉

• RobLeenio

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:02 PM

cyprus, the point is that we’re already acting for our own good, case rates are dropping across the region, we’re all doing our bit (at least most are). Instead of recognising the sacrifices we’ve all made, they’re stomping on us with a big heavy jackboot.

Not a good message, not appreciated by me. I definitely feel like they’re singling us out over other areas.

• simon376

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:11 PM

Rob
    Unfortunately there are a few I know from the North Tyneside area taht just dont believe any of it and dont care. Yes wear the masks, but think rest of it is rubbish. I think for the likes of them and I’m sure many more, we need extra help with this to make sure we are all safe. I hate this lockdown, but think its needed.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:16 PM

@Robleenio

Yes and our government is only going to get worse once they know what they can get away with!!

• Kevin Vegan

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:19 PM

Mund

Watts has started every game for Plymouth so far and already has a goal to show for his efforts. They’ve conceded a few but doing alright generally with him in the side. It won’t do him any harm to get some games, but it might do us some harm not having enough players in that position.

Similar with Lejeune. If we had an excess, sure thing, send him on loan. But why get rid of a decent back-up then leave yourself with players filling in just a couple of weeks later?

Silly move. Should’ve kept one of them at the club or delayed their loan until we sorted a replacement.

• Ron Knee

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:21 PM

Martin Gannon, the leader of Gateshead council:

“We could have controlled [the virus]. We have the expertise here. We have the pathology labs and the technology. We have the resources, we have the people there able to do the work. All we needed was the reagents and the kits supplied to us, rather than being sent away to national contractors. God only knows what they are doing with them.

“So it’s been the government’s failure, in terms of test, trace and trace, which is getting us to this place, which means we’re now back in a situation where the virus is out of control. And, frankly, that makes me absolutely furious.”

• Rotonda heights

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:27 PM

Nobby MK 11 must be thrilled at the prospect of being developed by Bruce. I wonder what HOOF it is in Spanish.

• Mund

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:32 PM

Ritchie our for 2 month

• Mund

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:34 PM

Kev

I agree mate and adds to the stupidity of Bruce.

• Mund

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:36 PM

Let’s hope Bruce has more luck on the pitch because the treatment room will be full this season.

• Kevin Vegan

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:42 PM

Mund

Bad news about Ritchie. We won’t want to use Dummett too much when he’s had such a long injury spell so we’re looking light on options at LB again already. Hope Lewis can settle in quickly!!