web analytics

Who Was Newcastle’s Man Of The Match In Win At Newport County?

Newcastle struggled to advance past League Two Newport County this evening. The Exiles almost held out for a historic win but for a moment of magic from Jonjo Shelvey in the 87th minute. Then Newcastle surprisingly kept their nerve and finished Newport in the penalty shootout.

Newport played their hearts out and defended like their lives depended on it. They blocked shot after shot as Newcastle just couldn’t get a good percentage of their shots on target to challenge Nick Townsend in the Newport net.

It wasn’t for a lack of trying though as Newcastle launched 27 shots, a good many of those from winger Jacob Murphy. Murphy came alive at around the 20-minute mark as he tried to pull Newcastle level with some blistering efforts.

But it was a poor sequence from Newcastle that put them under the cosh so early in the match. The Exiles won the ball deep in the 4th minute and were allowed to waltz up the pitch unfettered before launching a shot from 30 yards.

The ball rebounded off the crossbar and Emil Krafth couldn’t clear it. Tristan Abrahams, whose been on fire of late, skidded in a shot that Mark Gillespie couldn’t handle for the early goal.

Newcastle struggled to get a grip on the game and in fact, Newport looked more like scoring as the first half came to a close. The second half was an improvement from Newcastle but Newport still had their moments in possession.

The Magpies threw everything at the hosts until Jonjo Shelvey’s bit of individual magic leveled the proceedings. Then we kept our nerve and bested the Exiles in the penalty shootout but an early miss from Joelinton made it very nervy.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match At Newport County?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Optimistic prime

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:12 PM

Whoever is voting for Shelvey needs help.

• Mund

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:12 PM

I went for Manquillo as he always puts a shift in but nobody deserved it

• Optimistic prime

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:13 PM

They’d probably pat Bruce on the back for a good win too.

• coming home

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:13 PM

Let’s be honest we were shyte

• Goofy

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:13 PM

We won. Newport were the better team for 60 mins, once Wilson and Jo-Wellington came on we looked better, good to see Schar back.
    We all want to see attacking football but lets be honest not gonna happen under Brucie. We can all argue who will we get that is better under Fat twat. Got to be a better option out there, our team isn’t playing to the potential of our squad, yes we are not world beaters but we have a team that has pace, hard workers and even a bit of creativity, it’s all pointless when we have a manger who is more concerned in not losing to actually winning a game convincingly.
    Sorry Bruce collect your p45 mate and do one

• carltoon

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:18 PM

Tom, no if Shelvey was hopeless tonight I wouldn’t be pleased, but it sounded as the whole team was hopeless, I didn’t hear the second half, because I had some bad news, so never got back until I came on the blog. Hope they played better in the second half. Hate penalties, always turn my back. Pleased we’re through though.

• Toonces

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:18 PM

To my eye when I watch Joelinton he never seems to be able to put his foot through the ball.

Weak passes, weak shot – always seems to be finessing and placing the ball. But he does have it in him to hit it as we saw last round and at the same time didn’t wan to go for that Murphy ball that would have been a sure goal for him. It’s like he’s afraid of hurting the ball. Needs some aggression instilled in him.

• JohnReese

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:18 PM

With the international break coming up and few of our players involved, it’s the perfect time for Bruce to either imprint a new style and work it in training or for a new manager to come in. Sadly I’m almost certain there will be neither.

• lochinvar

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:20 PM

Good to know that Ashley still has choices

“Guardiola could walk and Pochettino is a good fit for City”

Either / or – any preferences ?

• G

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:20 PM

Murphy was our best, followed by Manq. When I call them best, I mean least s#!t

• carltoon

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:20 PM

Goofy that’s about right, can’t see us playing any better until Ashley goes and we get new owners and a better manager, and quality players

• Shoulders knees

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:21 PM

Big worry for me,

Where’s Miggys smile?

• lochinvar

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:21 PM

John Reese@8
    The International break will give Brucie time to get his tractor out and get his spring crops planted

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:22 PM

My only realistic hope is that Bruce finds a way to keep us in the PL so that when the takeover goes through we are still a PL club.

• CJ

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:22 PM

just heard the first part of Bruce’s interview. Newport very good side who have beaten leeds, watford Swansea, middlesborough leicester and gave a good performance against man city……I stopped listening

• Toonces

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:22 PM

Carltoon. Shelvey was poor but for his goal. In my view he made the rest of the team even more poor with his lethargic play. Everyone keeps playing through him, always giving up the ball to him. They are certainly told to do this.

• The Ledge

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:23 PM

Pure muck served up again by brucie.

• carltoon

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:23 PM

OP it’s not me, I never vote when I didn’t watch 🙂

• toonluvva

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:23 PM

Here’s a thought to give you all nightmares.

If Brighton beat Manure and are then drawn against us at St James’ Park, will Turnip pick the same team and play the same tic-tacs as last time.

Sadly the only possible answers are “yes” or “probably”.

Sweet dreams!

• coming home

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:23 PM

Lochinver
    We are stuck with brucellosis all season mate
    Unless there’s a takeover we are gooshed

• Moonraker15

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:24 PM

Shoulders
    Shelvey was getting stick cos of his Swansea days and he reacted.
    He was the only player on the pitch that could score that goal.
    We were outnumbered in midfield and Hayden should have been on! Or Hendrick!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:24 PM

A win is a win but a poor show until JoeLinton and Wilson came on
    Longstaff and Carroll waste of space, Shelvey not much better until excellent strike
    Huffed and puffed with the the same slow slow sideways hoof to Carroll
    Fraser did not look interested for a lot of the game
    Manquilla put in a decent shift
    MotM no one
    Watching tonight as of Sunday put JoeLinton into central midfield – different player there

• Mund

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:24 PM

GP

Let’s hope it’s a lot sooner mate

• kc2012

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:24 PM

A lucky escape but I’m struggling to see how people are saying Newport were the better team lol. They did nothing apart from score a lucky goal. Yes we weren’t great against a league 2 side but we were dominant enough to deserve the win, we just couldn’t score.

Yes we should be beating league 2 sides routinely but they beat Swansea and Watford who are both solid sides and they’ve been solid all season so we weren’t expected to crush them like we did to Morecambe regardless of leagues.

Joelinton once again put in another good performance (apart from his penalty) but for me, Murphy gets MOTM.

Longstaff should’ve been sold to Man United the other year aswell btw. He probably wouldn’t get in Newport’s 11.

Probably get City next round, get beat 8-0. Then blame Joelinton.

• beermonkey

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:25 PM

Bruce was Newport’s 12th man

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:25 PM

Steve Bruce: “In my opinion we deserved to go through after a difficult first half. (On tactics) I agree we didn’t play well enough, but now all of a sudden it’s questioning tactics. I find the whole thing disappointing. We don’t go out there not wanting to play well.”

Its his job to get the team playing well…….

• Shoulders knees

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:26 PM

Moonraker15
    From whom?

• The Ledge

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:26 PM

Goofy…..and hopefully he brings Shelvey and Ritchie with him .

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:26 PM

Mund

Think joe played well when he came on, Id recommend you get him in your team this weekend, maybe a (c) too.

Or triple (c)

• lochinvar

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:28 PM

Shoulders Knees @21

Miggy’s smile has been stolen….looks like a mackem

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:29 PM

Just realised we are selling Barlasser to Rotherham
    Bloody fools
    Arghhhhhh

• carltoon

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:29 PM

So he’s a one man team. I’m not going to defend him, but I’m sure I didn’t know Longstaff was playing in the first half, was Fraser playing, how did he play? Well I’m definitely not against an upgrade of any player, I keep saying that. But we must have the slowest midfield in the world. Got to get a fast box to box player. But we won’t, we’ve got the greediest owner in the world.

• Shoulders knees

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:30 PM

Loch
    Pmsl

• Optimistic prime

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:30 PM

Carltoon

He was terrible, be lucky if he spent 10% of the game in the opposition half.

At times he was sat between the 2 cbs.

Problem is Shelvey sets the pace for the team, slightly above a 90 Yr olds walk atm.

• Mund

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:30 PM

GP

Who told you I was doing that? 😉

I’ve picked my team already and will have a gander Saturday morning once more and make sure I have enough time to do so lol

Pretty happy with what I have going into it tho as of now

• Zele

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:30 PM

Thought Murphy was the standout player. He was always on the front foot and was always looking to score with either foot.

I thought the inclusion of Carroll didn’t work. The team slowed down. Carroll very often played somewhere between the centre circle and the edge of the penalty box which posed no threat to their goal.

When Wilson came on the team were much more mobile.

• Moonraker15

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:31 PM

Omg who voted for AC?
    I thought Lewis was our best player on the night. However, as I said previously Jonjo is the only player we have who could score that goal. I would also say he needs our forwards to move and make space for him to make passes between the lines.
    That Almiron is clueless; all he does is pass it backwards and he missed the best chance tonight when through one on one!

• simon376

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:32 PM

Carltoon

Hope everything is ok are ok as can be.

Shelvey scored a cracker, but he was very bad tonight, to be honest most of them were, but he seemed to stand out as one of the worst, but maybe made up for it a bit with his great goal and of course scoring the pen no bother. I was thinking needed to be replaced with Hayden, but then who knows if we would have scored

• Moonraker15

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:37 PM

Lochinvar @ 30

He plays like a Mackem as well! Absolutely useless!