web analytics

Poll – How Will Newcastle Fare Against Manchester United On Saturday?

After a two-week international break, Newcastle invite Manchester United to St James Park tomorrow evening. Newcastle are looking to build on a four-match unbeaten run while the Red Devils will want to atone for the 6-1 thrashing at the hands of Tottenham in their last match.

Steve Bruce gave a positive update on injuries during his press conference. Though it looks like six will be unavailable. Martin Dubravka, Dwight Gayle, and Matt Ritchie are all out with long-term injuries while Ciaran Clark, Paul Dummett, and Matty Longstaff have just returned from injury since our win over Burnley.

Newcastle have gotten on off to a very promising start despite some dreadful performances. However, most of those did not include our talisman Allan Saint-Maximin, who this week has signed a new six-year contract.

Having Allan in the side makes such a difference for Newcastle. It’s like night and day. He’ll probably be buzzing for tomorrow night’s match after signing his new deal.

Bruce does have a handful of players returning from international duty in Miguel Almiron, Ryan Fraser, Jeff Hendrick, Emil Krafth, Jamal Lewis, and Fabian Schar. All of the six except for Krafth featured heavily over the break which could play into Bruce’s thinking on team selection.

We don’t expect too many changes from the Burnley win. Though Jamaal Lascelles should be back and with Fabian Schar starting three matches for Switzerland, that’s a likely change.

Bruce may also abandon the Jeff Hendrick on the right experiment as well which has had mixed results. Hendrick started all three of the Republic of Ireland’s matches so may need a break on Saturday.

No matter what the team is, Newcastle are in decent shape to pick up a result and improve what has been an overall positive start to this season.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Manchester United On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• peter5199

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:45 PM

Bill! If he becomes a swan I may make it to ugly duckling. I do not think either is likely

• WLtoon

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:46 PM

Peter, from prev@18

Well yeah, il`e give you that, your summary of Bruce`s tactics? all rolled out in one sentence lol.
    I`m sure you know what i meant though

• Mund

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:47 PM

2-1 win for the toon. Maxi and Wilson goalscorer’s

• WLtoon

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:49 PM

Hope so Mund, thumbs up emoji

• peter5199

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:49 PM

WLtoon, Yes we can win this game by being positive

• geordie157

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:51 PM

Best check my fantasy football side, don’t think I’ve looked at it for 3 weeks.

• peter5199

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:51 PM

Now, I apologise before I say this……but

• Wor Bairle

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:52 PM

If we’re predicting scores I’ll save ilovetoon the bother, 1-3 to Manure

• peter5199

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:52 PM

I cannot see us losing this game (my wife will say I just put the kiss of death upon us)

• peter5199

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:53 PM

2-1 toon

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:53 PM

Peter

I’d like to see him given a chance, the very few games he’s had for us he’s looked good.

• WLtoon

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:57 PM

Iv`e said a few times that with a more attack minded coach, who has the ability to change tactics in more ways than just swapping a like for like player, this team could be top 10 easily, but that is what is so frustrating, Bronty Bruce does`nt utilise his players like De Santo for example.
    Hoof ball went out of fashion years ago, that`s if it ever was in fashion. The Dons seemed to like it though.

• DrGloom

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:12 PM

Think this is a must win game for Ole, can’t see the manure board settling for yet another defeat – however depending on Bruces tactics it’s a game we can win.
    Hopefully Rashford and co have a stinker and their defenders their usual dodgy defending.
    HWTL

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:13 PM

Man Utd are not that good their defence is suspect would just love us to come out flying and be all over them when their confidence levels are low an early goal could really knock them over

Would be so frustrating if we just sit back on them and allow them to feel their way into the game with Pogba and Fernandez given the space to play passes because we are too far back and put no pressure on them!

Biggest pet hate with the way Bruce sets up,yes we were defensive under Rafa but we were aggressive in winning the ball back especially in our half of the pitch! Under Bruce teams just waltz through the middle and get shots on goal although I think only having Shelvey with Hayden as a midfield 2 contributes to that as we get outnumbered against teams who play 3 in the middle

Man Utd going forward could just turn it on and smash us and there is nothing we could do about it but this is not a great Man Utd team far from it they can’t handle pace attacking them which we have lots of

• Vask

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:24 PM

I have a feeling we will concede a soft penalty this weekend. At least that’s what my far eastern betting syndicate mates are telling me.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:29 PM

Vask

Aye some bad refs decisions against us wouldn’t be too surprising, that’s the one thing that would engender some pessimism in me.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:39 PM

Peter,

I was in need of losing a few pounds so I joined a gym locally and am now a svelte 14 stone….2 pounds more than when I started!!!! Oh well muscle weighing heavier than fat apparently.

• peter5199

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:51 PM

Rotary, I was 14 stone as 16 year old rugby player, 16 Stone as an older one, and was still fit enough to play against 3 squash world champs (one was a girl). It is not weight, it is fitness.

Quite possibly most rugby league/union players are officially obese. But when they take their shirt off, you realise that is just not the case.

• lochinvar

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:51 PM

Man u are all over the place and have unsettled players and under pressure manager. No fans to lift the game.

If the ref protects our players and especially Max from their hackers and fouling any break away attacks then we can dismantle their fragility.

3-0 toon.

• lochinvar

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:53 PM

Confuse their game plan
    Start with Fraser and bring Max on as sub.

• lesh

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:55 PM

Essex

Glad to hear your son’s found some courses and he’s working hard to gain certification for his efforts.

Please pass him my best wishes and not hesitate to seek support and guidance if he feels he needs it at any time.

• Pottsclock

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:58 PM

I agree with those saying we can’t afford to let ManUre settle. Need to press them from the start and try to break down their play. If we can do that for 30mins then I think we have an excellent chance of winning. If we sit back and let them pass it around, they have enough quality in attack to make it pay.

• lesh

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:59 PM

Lochinvar @19

If the ref protects our players and especially Max from their hackers and fouling…., it’ll be a helluva surprise.

• Pottsclock

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:04 PM

I like the way that Solskjaer is inventing a “knock” to Harry McGuire so that he can drop him without having to say “I’m dropping him because he’s playing cr*p and his head is elsewhere.”

• JohnReese

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:22 PM

I’d be inclined to stick ASM on the right if they start with Shaw. Gets forward too often and can’t track back. Could leave acres of space. Wan-Bisaka is much more defensive so I don’t know how much ASM would get out of him. Perhaps stick the more physical Joelinton on him. Probably Lindelof and Bailly at the back for them? Both have a mistake in them and with Baillys previous injuries he won’t want to be getting turned and chasing after Wilson on his bad knee.

• Swlabr

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:23 PM

Sorry if this has already been thrashed to death, but…it can’t be a coincidence that, just a day after Man.U and Diddypool’s fantasy plan for taking over the world of football get’s unceremoniously kicked into touch, Gary Neville comes galloping in on his white horse to save the day with a more noble (but dubious nonetheless) scheme.

• simon376

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:25 PM

Just done this myself and it does work

• peter5199

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:25 PM

Leah and Reese.

He will be kicked all over the park and it really does not matter which side he starts on, he switches throughout the match

• Online Guy

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:35 PM

Looking forward to Shaw getting twisted blood

When he left Southamton he was heard to utter when in a discussion on his transfer…” Not interested in little clubs like Newcastle ”

Paraphrased but similar.

Seriously arrogant prick .

• toon22

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:36 PM

Maybe the refs arnt going to be too impressed with Manus attempt at ending competitive football due to their colossal greed

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:39 PM

ASM is so much more productive on the right wing where he just needs to beat a man and whip the cross in

Bisakka is quite an aggressive full back who I think Fraser would be better against as he himself is quite aggressive in the way he plays whereas I feel ASM could destroy Shaw all game in 1 vs 1 situations

• Mund

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:47 PM

Simon

Great share mate appreciate it. Works for me as well cheers mate