web analytics

Report – Government Hopeful As Saudis Ready To Relaunch Bid If Ashley Wins In Court

Talk of the Saudi-backed takeover has resurfaced this week after Newcastle Consortium Supporters Ltd received a 9-page letter from Premier League on Tuesday. Contents of this letter, confirming Newcastle had taken legal action against the league, were leaked which prompted Newcastle to issue a statement yesterday.

Then a few articles emerged claiming that the Saudis were still very interested in resurrecting the takeover. The Athletic wrote the following in an article discussing Newcastle’s statement:

The Athletic understands that the Saudis remain as determined as ever to buy Newcastle, despite having officially withdrawn the bid in July.

The Telegraph are taking it a step further claiming that the consortium consisting of the Saudi PIF, Amanda Staveley’s PCP Capital Partners, and the Reuben Brothers will re-submit their bid if Mike Ashley is successful in his arbitration case against the EPL.

Ashley is arguing that the consortium should have passed the Premier League’s Owners and Directors Test. The Telegraph’s Jason Burt is reporting that if Ashley wins his case, the Saudis will come back to the table.

The Guardian has also done a report on these recent events. Louise Taylor is reporting that due to the consortium’s commitment to invest in the north-east, the UK Government remains hopeful that the takeover can be revived and successful.

This all hinges on the court case which the Premier League seems to be slow rolling at the moment. The case could be heard this year but that is looking more and more unlikely with each passing day.

There’s still a sliver of hope that this takeover can happen. Though, getting our hopes up once again is not an option. It’ll likely be a long process well into next year. Our main focus will continue to be supporting the players for a push into the top ten.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Chelsea On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Adamn_92

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:02 AM

I don’t think the Premier League will want this to go to court and will try to settle outside of it. However, you know damn well they’ll delay as long as they possibly can in the hope it falls apart again. I can only see them settling outside when it’s inevitable that it will go to court and very close to that time. So unfortunately I think we have a long wait on our hands. I think it will be worth the wait, but expect months of endless speculation until it finally happens.

• Moonraker15

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:03 AM

It’s warming up! Government backing the takeover! Wow this is getting interesting!

• SuperShearer

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:05 AM

Re-Post from Previous:

I hate to say it – and hope I’m proved wrong – but this to me is all just noise.

The PIF have said nothing since July. The PL clearly don’t want this takeover to go through – they’ve waved others through without batting an eyelid.

There’s about 6 weeks until the January Transfer window opens – I can’t be the only one thinking this is MA’s clever ploy to say “I can’t invest in something I’m actively looking to sell.”

Due to COVID the PL’s return on investment has massively dropped – add to that the Big Six desperately trying to gain more control or even leave the league and, being honest, if I were the PIF I think I would be walking away.

Like I say – I PRAY I am proven wrong but that’s just my two cents.

• Aces-of-Eights

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:15 AM

The super league will be financed by usa mostly. If the saudis wanted they could maybe finance their own european lge and not invite any of the top 6. Offer participants more money. That would be brill.

• Optimistic prime

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:17 AM

First spat of the day and it isn’t on the blog, gerup

Bruce is slagging Almirons agent off “Amateurish”

• The mighty wyn

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:27 AM

Super shearer I get why you’re cautious but not sure ashley would spend big if it wasnt to get a resolution.
    Yes it is noise but at least it let’s us all know it hasn’t gone away

• SuperShearer

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:32 AM

@The mighty wyn – totally here you mate. I just think MA knows he’ll get some form of compensation out of it and it will force the PL to be more transparent with their takeover process – at that point MA can sell to whoever is interested, I’m just not convinced it will be the PIF who I think were telling the truth – to a degree – when they cited COVID as the reason they were pulling out.

Like I say – I hope I am wrong but this has dragged on for so long now it just feels like it’s been over for a while and we’re all clinging to a frozen door in the middle of the Atlantic while MA sits pretty on a lifeboat.

• ArtyH

Nov 20, 2020 at 12:16 PM

JMHO as I have more or less lost all interest in SDFC, at least while in the hands of TFCB. Having said that, I hope he wins the case against the EPL so he can sell the club. With the current state of the country, no, the world, can he really ask £300m+ for the club with future payments from the T.V companies expected to reduce? Just my thoughts, if I was Stavely if she is in charge, should it come to a buyout, I would be saying no more than £250m or we look elsewhere as there are several clubs we could acquire at a lower price and make great, over to you fatty.
    So many different ways to look at the situation of the club now, dont know if I can be bothered, well not at least until I see Mandy in a toon top waving a toon scarf…….OR one of the Saudi lads doing the same…..;)

• captainmarvel

Nov 20, 2020 at 1:48 PM

I am not cautious and it is certainly not “noise”. It is a fact that there is a legal dispute going on.. The premier League are being pressured from three sides, the fans, Stein and Co. Ashley and allegedly the government too..
    Do not expect this to be played out in public it won’t..There has been too much said already by the corruption crew which will hopefully come back to bite them in the arse..