web analytics

Bruce Pleased With Two Magpies On A Difficult Afternoon

Steve Bruce has spoken after Newcastle’s 2-0 defeat to Chelsea. It’s another poor performance with Newcastle not offering much in attack and being pegged deep for much of the match.

The second half was slightly better with Newcastle seeing more of the ball. However, they weren’t able to do too much with it having only one shot on target all afternoon.

The head coach said the following about the game per Newcastle’s Twitter account:

“We got off to an awful start against a very good Chelsea team and unfortunately we went far too deep in the first half.

“Second half we went higher up the pitch and were better. It was our best part of the game when we conceded the second.”

Newcastle came out of the gate with intent but that lasted all of three minutes. It was then all Chelsea for the remainder of the first half. We agree with Bruce that the second goal came when Newcastle were looking their brightest.

Bruce did name two Magpies who he thought played very well. They were Sean Longstaff and Joelinton, who did have decent afternoons under the circumstances.

“I thought Sean Longstaff did very well. I thought Joelinton played very well on the day. We had a really decent spell against them and that’s hard to do. They’re a good team with good players.”

Joelinton was deployed up front in place of the injured Callum Wilson. The Brazilian had 2 key passes and was fouled 5 times. Longstaff completed over 90% of his passes while also doing a job defensively.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In Defeat To Chelsea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• WLtoon

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:44 PM

Charlie ITG,

There are plenty of young, hungry managers around who would walk from where they live to take the Nufc job if offered, and i have to say that i don`t think they could offer any less than what Bruce serves up.
    A few have mentioned Potter for example, not proven at this level , but neither are half of the manager/coaches kicking about now, the point is they are worth a punt, and a cheap option is what Ashley is all about.
    Fresh ideas from an up and coming coach would be like a breath of fresh air up here atm, and i agree, i think a majority of Toon fans have been bored shitless over the last few years with what has been served up, time for a change i think.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:46 PM

Munster
    Is it the players is it the managers/tactics but game in game out we’ve been outplayed/outpassed over the last three years – looked scared to try things so play the simple ball – backwards or sideways – job done got rid of the ball without losing it.
    Even the second half of the promotion season we seemed to ‘tighten up’ and in the end of games were hanging on

• West Lancs Geordie

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:46 PM

Let’s face it professional football nor indeed Rugby League or Rugby Union should not be allowed during this pandemic . The only reason the Government won’t stop it is because they could not afford to pay furlough for the players. Indeed they need them to be on a full salary as otherwise they would lose millions of pounds in lost revenue from the income tax they pay or at least should pay. We are talking Millions . So money/wealth is being put before health. Disgusting!

• Not another deJong

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:48 PM

Heard Bruce on Sports Report say we “arguably” didn’t do enough in the first half. Is that like writing a murder mystery where a man is seen holding a smoking gun over a dead body and saying “well he might be the killer”?

• Romford mag

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:50 PM

Wor

That made me chuckle mate , the lizard man 😆

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:52 PM

WLtoon
    Fresh ideas- spot on??

• Mund

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:53 PM

hibbit

That’s fair and all I can expect from someone on a blog where I’m claiming anything.

I did reveal who it was. It was my uncle by marriage (I say this as he has divorced my auntie now) he worked for Ashley and out the blue at the time I rang him to see if he knew anything. Believe me I wish I didn’t because the amount of abuse I got from my Mam for ringing him wasn’t worth it and believe it or not he used it as a weapon and twisted things we spoke about to wind up my auntie my Mam’s sister and there was a bit of a fallout.

I got in touch with him to ask about BZG and did he know anything. He said at the time what he heard was it was a done deal which I said on the blog that obviously backfired as it most certainly wasn’t. So I asked about Rafa and if there was any chance he would stay on. He said which I also mentioned on the blog that they had a meeting set up with Rafa and are confident they can talk him round. The next txt I got from him was saying Rafa wanted double his wages and Ashley refused and that Rafa was off to China and they are looking at Bruce.

• Not another deJong

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:54 PM

hibbit @9

I am not sure that is a woman

• IrishRob

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:56 PM

Anyone else wondering what’s wrong with St Maximin? Hes been absolutely awful again today and worst part about it he doesnt have the excuse of playing out of position today.

• West Lancs Geordie

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:56 PM

WL Toon . You and I seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet.
    Not hearing too many on here with support for Bruce.
    The man is setting out to get a point a game which IF achieved would keep us up again . But it won’t be maintained with these tactics. As soon as he goes a goal down he has no idea whatsoever how to change things or get us a goal or the two he would need to win the game.
    So negative & clueless. He must realise that should the club be taken over – he’s gone but Ashley to protect his “investment” must act now & sack him, else, his “hope” of £300 M is pie in the sky.

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:56 PM

If Bruce thought any part of that was “A good performance” then he is simply inept. We can’t form basic attacks. We can’t do ANY build up play.

He thought Joelinton played well. What did he do well exactly?

This is insane. We’re playing make believe Bruce is literally saying what he thinks he’s supposed to say regardless of reality.

He’ll take us down at this rate. We are the worst team in the league.

• hibbit

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:57 PM

Not another deJong
    i’m not Jane is a woman thats why booked separate rooms !!!

• Mund

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:58 PM

My point in all this hibbit and what I got told was the timing of it. That last line I put up about Rafa wanting double his wages and Bruce was the man was a day or two after Rafa left, the Tuesday or the Wednesday if i remember rightly, which like I said I called BS. We then have this merry go round of this manager and that manager turning us down and then we end up with Bruce.

How I always looked at it was obviously all these managers weren’t in on it with Ashley but I think he will of offered terms that didn’t suit any of them and would always get a rejection.

• West Lancs Geordie

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:59 PM

ASM sadly would be found lacking in a top four side and that’s why there’ll be no big bucks bids for him anytime soon.

• hibbit

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:00 PM

sure

• Not another deJong

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:01 PM

Mund

“”The next txt I got from him was saying Rafa wanted double his wages and Ashley refused””

On the face of it that looks greedy and you said as much on here, but can you accept that by this time Rafa knew the truth of the job and the owner was using him to protect his continued under investment in the whole club?

• Ron Knee

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:03 PM

And Rafa didn’t want Joelinton.

• Mund

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:04 PM

Sorrry jail has to be done lmao Maxi would be found lacking in a top 4 side??

I dare to think the type of player we would see with a good manager and players around him to suit.

Do you really expect Maci to excel in a ultra defensive side? Not to mention the fact he is our danger player and our only danger player that gets double/tripled up on every game, the lad has no chance sorry that’s a fact

• Mund

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:06 PM

De Jong

Of course he knew that’s why he was off and tbf he knew a year odd previously that he was being used.

I don’t blame Rafa for asking for double his wages but let’s not make Rafa out all innocent because he isn’t and is renowned for using the fans against the owners.

I loved him and was devastated when he left

• West Lancs Geordie

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:07 PM

Everyone seems terribly disillusioned on here tonight even the once ever positive Mund. The “football” being dished up under this Clown is not a shadow of what Toon supporters want nor indeed expect.
    Bruce out and give a new man money to spend in the January window on a strong , playmaking midfielder and a recognised stoke partner for Wilson.
    Weed out the dross and lightweights & get them off the wage bill and shuffle the pack. We need change NOW. This bloke (so called Manager) is incapable of changing anything!

• hibbit

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:08 PM

just going to leave it at that mund,
    this uncle inlaw of yours must be one of Ashley’s high ranking generals to have that kind of informations,
    let’s just move on and leave it there,

• Mund

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:10 PM

Hard to be positive lancs after a performance like that and don’t know why but even tho it was Chelsea and a lot will say expected, it hurts more than other results have. Maybe it’s the fact I know and have accepted it’s not going to get better under Bruce as he is totally inadequate for the job or tbf any football managers job. Nothing will change with him here and I couldn’t imagine how I would feel right now if I wasn’t so positive about a takeover happening.

• Not another deJong

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:11 PM

Comment by Dizzy1476

I really don’t get Bruce, to me his management is like rice cakes, yeah it’s food, but only just.

• hibbit

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:12 PM

mund like a lot of us “shit”

• Great White Hunter

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:14 PM

Wor Bairlie, Lizard. Man, In my Irish accent…… That’s a Cracker …..

• West Lancs Geordie

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:14 PM

Mund the bloke can’t do it on his own. He needs players round him and a great manager to guide him. Yes he would perform in a better side but sadly for us he beats three players and loses the ball to the fourth . He must be completely and utterly frustrated and getting switched off by Bruce’s clueless “tactics”. His best performances have come from him playing wide and cutting in but he needs support players running into space. Our so called quick creative players are tasked to cover defensive duties rather be Offensive (i.e Almiron and Murphy).
    Bruce has just got to go before it’s too late.

• WLtoon

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:15 PM

West Lancs Geordie@54

It beats me how people like Bruce continue to get top jobs in football, and lets face it, we are still classed as a top job even though we have been pants for years.
    Ashley as we all know, knows sweet FA about football, i think he must just look at the unemployed coaches list and say ` Yep, heard of him`, lets give him a try`.

When was the last time any Toon fan went into the start of a season really optimistic, looking forward to watching entertainment for 90 odd minutes and saying ` that was awesome` ?
    We will never get that under Ashley , which is why we are all so damn desperate for him to sell up.

• hibbit

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:15 PM

i hate the fact he never accepts any responsibility ,
    it’s always someone else’s fault

• Mund

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:17 PM

hibbit it’s fine that you don’t believe me I don’t take any offence by it.

It’s the truth take it or leave it mate. I just wanted to share something I knew and even at the time I took it with a pinch of salt myself and said so on the blog but the fact of the matter is what he said in the end was bang on.

I think the question should be why would I lie about such a thing? But it doesn’t matter as it’s in the past and for some reason we always live in the past and I want to try start to think of a better future but thats hard right now.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:19 PM

Mund,
    Not being argumentative here but FSA in an interview said he was approached for the job. I know he’s not the most honest man in the world but why would he lie about that. Why would Ashley pay Sheff Wed £4M if FSA was free, you don’t know how many were offered the job before your ex uncle found out they were after The Bruce.

• Romford mag

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:19 PM

Wor

I have no come back to that mate !

I tip my hat to you sir 😉

• toon22

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:21 PM

Have we been sold yet ?

• WLtoon

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:22 PM

IrishRob, reSt Max,

He has been well and truly Bruced mate. He must be totally fed up working with a clown like Bruce, his confidence looks shot, same a Miggy, it won`t be long before Wilson and Frazer join the queue if they already haven`t .

• Mund

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:23 PM

Jail did you read my other posts.

It confuses the life out of me it really does.

What I got told and what I’ve said I got told is the truth and the last time I was in conversation with him was him saying they were looking at Bruce.

I went away from that thinking ffs he is full of shit and I’ve bounced on the blog saying I know this the deal will be done. Like I said backfired massively. So to my amazement over time what he last told me all came true and Bruce was the man, Rafa went to China and here we are today.

What am I supposed to think or what opinion am I supposed to have when I hear that then we hear about all these managers who got approached then full circle Bruce is hired??

Like I said confuses the foot out of me and don’t know what to make of it

• West Lancs Geordie

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:24 PM

Mund the only way to get any sort of result out of Chelsea , Liverpool , Man City etc etc is to get in their faces and close down and fight and harry for every first and second ball. Yeah difficult to keep up for 90 minutes but when players start to flag they must be replaced by fresh legs. Bruce is incapable of doing this. We go a goal down and try to defend to stay in the game without changes because he doesn’t know what to do . Then we go two down and his only ploy is bring on big Andy for last 15 minutes.
    In my mind I wouldn’t have risked Wilson against Chelsea I’d have start Andy Carroll who can at least hold the ball up and indeed defend well when he has to.
    Not the answer I know but at least try something different rather than settle for 28% and less possession every game. Would rather get back to old 4-3 defeats than lose in this pathetic way under Bruce the Clueless!

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:26 PM

The Bruce’s interviews knock me sick, constantly on about the big clubs, the big boys, like he’s deliberately undermining us to lower expectations but more importantly for him to let the world know we’re just a wee club in the North. Fat cook sooking tw@t