web analytics

Report – Newcastle Again Linked With South American Wonderkid

Over the summer, Newcastle were linked with a few South American wonderkids. One was Uruguayan winger Facundo Pellistri, who ended up joining Manchester United in October. The other was Alan Velasco, an Argentine who plays for Independiente.

Newcastle have once again been linked with the 18-year-old. Sport Witness is citing a report from Argentine outlet El Instransigente that Newcastle are still keeping tabs on Velasco. The other clubs credited are Serie A’s Parma and Mexico’s Club America.

The issue with Velasco is he has a very high release clause. When he was initially linked over the summer, the Saudi takeover was still in play. However, the takeover is in limbo with Mike Ashley currently engaged in a legal dispute with the Premier League.

Velasco’s release clause is around £17m, which is well beyond Newcastle’s means under Ashley. Though the report claims that Independiente are in severe financial straights and could allow the promising youngster to leave to the club with the best offer. Which will probably not be Newcastle under their current ownership.

There was some developments yesterday in the Middle East that could be positive for the takeover. Saudi Arabia opened its airspace and borders to Qatar. Today both nations are due to sign an agreement to pave the way for re-engagement.

While that doesn’t impact the Premier League’s stance that the Saudi PIF is part of the Saudi state, it could alleviate the concerns of piracy of Premier League matches in Saudi Arabia. That would be one less obstacle to this takeover actually coming to fruition.

• Adamn_92

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:40 AM

OP

Are you suggesting as we can’t 100% stop it, we shouldn’t bother trying to reduce it? Are you suggesting if 100% of people won’t wear a proper mask, they shouldn’t cover their face at all? Proper mask or not, it doesn’t take a study or scientist to know that covering your face with anything, will mean whatever aerosol you produce will be filtered down and spread less compared to having nothing on your face.

I may have missed what your point at the start of all this discussion was, but what are you suggesting because even if masks were only 1% effective, it still would make sense to wear them to keep people 1% safer.

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:51 AM

Adamn

Vitamin D significantly reduces the risk of contracting a Coronavirus.

The Government should be shouting about that, not masks.

What’s the point in something that barely makes a difference?

The masks give a FALSE sense of safety.

Why not tell everyone to take a large dose of Vitamin D every day?

The government is giving the wrong information!

• WLtoon

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:54 AM

Morning all, so here we go again, another lockdown.
    I wonder if it will go as far as workers getting furloughed like it was in March.
    I am not an essential worker, i work in the car manufacturing industry.
    If the government are that concerned about the spread of the virus then they should put in the measures like they did early last year.
    Total lockdown needs to be implemented, nothing else will work imo.

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:55 AM

WL

Total lockdown would have to include shops, hospitals, doctors!

Everything!

If not, we’re pissing in the wind!

• Munster Mag

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:01 PM

Cannot see any point at all in Brandon Williams. They’ll want him to play most games and what message does that send to Lewis.

Munster Mag

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:00 AM

OP, very kind of you to start telling me I was stupid because Im not leaning towards your theories that basic masks are useless and that the canadian scientist you linked in correct and everyone else wrong.

I not going back to the days of insults back and forth and I’d be grateful if you didnt either.

You’re not a scientist , and neither am I, and whilst there have been loads of errors by countries since Feb, I dont think that the use of masks is one of them. In g#fact most Immunologists and senior HCPs I have heard have been scathing on govts for not making them mandatory earlier.

You have also suggested that the new strain of virus may not be affected by the vaccine but there is nothing definitive out there, that I have heard of, to back this up. So this is just making drama for the sake of it

You are correct that keeping apart , as far as possible, is the best way to get through this, but we know that wont be possible.

You’re entitled to your belief in that Canadian guy’s point of view, but dont give me abuse or call me stupid, for not going with this one mans point of view.

If you are so convinced of your theories, I would respectfully say to you to go and take them to the scientific community and see what time they give you.

I agree with what Adam is saying ( masks are not the be all and end all but if we all wear them etc….) and the likes of Bassett and also agree with you re Vitamin D. In an ideal world we could keep seperate from people right now but thats not always possible, and we have idiots etc who have parties, lock ins, weddings with big groups etc

• WLtoon

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:02 PM

Well done to Southampton last night, was great to see the plastic Liverpool fans with faces like a bee chewing a wasp at work , probably never been to Anfield in their life.
    So the big 6 don`t like the smaller teams disrupting the status quo, well they have got their work cut out over the next few months with Saints and Leicester having a strong case for a top 6 place.

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:02 PM

Adamn

You say if a mask gives 1% protection it should be worn to give protection!

The vaccine is allowed a 7% death rate as acceptable!

That’s a higher death rate than the virus itself!

You claim due to 1% we should be wearing masks because of the people it will protect, yet you’re happy with the acceptable 7% death rate???

I’m guessing it’s NHS/Government logic you’re using!

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:06 PM

Munster

Your opinion is based on other people’s opinion, as you’ve just admitted.

I’ve read the scientific evidence, done the research, watched the videos, done the math etc etc.

Pardon me if I say, I couldn’t give a foot what you think!

If I want your opinion, I’ll read someone else’s posts.

• WLtoon

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:08 PM

OP,

The government have fannied around for 6 months making all kinds of restrictions, for what?
    My partner works for M&S and she mentioned how there is no distancing at all, providing you wear a mask it`s fine, and i know what you think of masks.
    Schools have been closed and rightfully so, but hospitals surely need to be open for obvious reasons. Imo, everything else should be closed, end off.

• Adamn_92

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:10 PM

OP

“Latest guidance by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), Public Health England (PHE) and the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (SACN), could not determine a direct link based on available evidence”

Same site, giving two different views on Vitamin D efficiency. I imagine the government isn’t shouting about vitamin D right now as they are awaiting more evidence on how effective it is and following their scientific advisors. An open letter was only sent on December 21st so I imagine more evidence is being gathered and studies into Vitamin D being done before the government make any announcement on it being effective or ineffective. The government has also offered free Vitamin D supplements to the most vulnerable. They will continue the mask message because masks have been proven to help reduce the spread of infection. I’m sure they will include Vitamin D in that message when they have enough evidence to give out that message.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:16 PM

I can’t see the issue with wearing a mask, they have to be better than nothing at all and if anything shows that we’re all pulling together.

• Ketsbaia9

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:17 PM

Brandon Williams is a ridiculous signing. He can’t even get in their team ahead of Luke Shaw and the other bloke. Steve Bruce needs to leave asap. Willems should be the first through the door. We need to sign players that improve the first team.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:19 PM

Brucie might as well wear a full eye slot balaclava the robbery he’s carrying out here.

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:19 PM

Adamn

Theres loads of info the Government should be passing out.

I was told in the Army never to do cardio vascular exercise with a bad cold or flu, Government telling people to exercise lol.

Everyone has their own view.

People may say 50% is acceptable, ask them if they’d be as happy with a op that only had a 50% chance of survival, bet they sing a different tune.

In reality it’s the same!

Risking your life on the flip of a coin!

As WL points out, people with masks think they’re protected!

Wrestle mania around the supermarket to get granny’s groceries, then howshe caught it when she’s pegged it a few weeks later.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:20 PM

Back to the drawing board Kets that post was quite sensible.

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:21 PM

It’s like summer slam or wrestlemania in the supermarkets.

Get the worthers originals in by fighting 50 other grand kids for the last pack.

The prize, take the virus home to your loved ones.

Genius.

• Ketsbaia9

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:22 PM

Yeah, he’s not going to improve us. Bruce is only interested because he’s English and plays for Man Utd. Hopefully it’s just a rumour and we’re not serious.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:23 PM

Gotta say lads Im loving this continuous talk of masks, I really hope we can stretch this out all day. I mean, thats the dream, have it on every single thread Ed/Neil put up. Maybe tomorrow too?

Cant. Get. Enough. Of. It. kudos for still going strong, its been 11 hours+ so far but fair play to you, its been an absolute dream catching up on it all, especially from people with qualifications in the subject.

Its why i log onto the footy blog anyway if im honest, couldnt find enough talk of it elsewhere on the internet or ways to give views in a relevant forum so hoped i could come onto a footy blog to get my fix…

• Adamn_92

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:25 PM

OP

You’re taken that out of context and blowing it up, I said if a mask was only 1% effective, it should still be worn as 1% is better than nothing. Nothing to debate there, that’s just fact. 1% is better than 0%. The vaccine 7% death tolerance I can’t find anywhere, could you link me it please? Without seeing it I can only guess, but I would assume it’s because everything has a tolerance. The vaccine will help save a lot of lives and unfortunately worst case scenario could be 7% death rate from it. That is absolute worse case scenario and very unlikely to happen. Everything has a tolerance especially in medicine. Again without being able to find that number though I can’t really give any opinion or view on it fully.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:25 PM

Kets

I hearted a post of yours. Keep it coming.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:29 PM

BeIn ban lifted in KSA now.

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:29 PM

Adamn

Change of topic…

Have you watched Unexplained with William Shatner?

Not sure how new it is, some interesting shows.

One in particular was on transplants, any chance you’ve seen it?

• Ashingtoon62

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:29 PM

Re. Face masks..Adamn you are right:OP You are wrong,there now that’s my two penn’orth in.

• NY Mag

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:30 PM

Jail,

Double heart from me…the Brucey balaclava one was class.

You should re-invent your “jail’s too good for Ashley” quips, I liked them 🙂

• Adamn_92

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:34 PM

Yeah sorry gothmog i’ll stop now!

OP I haven’t unfortunately, I can’t stand Shatner lol. Only think I cans tand is his music which is hilariously bad.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:35 PM

Adamn

Rocket man is this best/worst. gotta say i do partake in the vid on youtube once in a while…

• Adamn_92

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:36 PM

Gothmog, Common People is a hard listen too if you haven’t heard it….

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:39 PM

adamn

Me and a mate used to have an ongoing competition to find the worst, most cringeworthy music videos – became like a tennis match basically to our FB inboxes.

Shatner was always a solid serve, David hasselhoff Hooked on a Feeling was a measured return but the game usually ended when someone rolled out Leonard Nimoy and the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins.

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:40 PM

Adamn

Wtf, I just listened.

Had no idea, hilarious!

If you’re looking for something to watch episode 9 or 10, on transplant recipients.

Very interesting.

• Adamn_92

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:43 PM

Gothmog, that sounds like something I could get behind! If you ever need a corker, Shatners Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer is a good contender. Pretty sure ZZ Top are in the video for some reason. Jump in my car or True Survivor by Hasselhoff are amazing too. I actually like True Survivor un-ironically though….

OP

It’s a great rabbit hole going down Shatners terrible music covers! Thanks for the suggestion, I have nothing on after work so may well give that a look over.

• lesh

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:48 PM

OP

The greatest president the US has ever had played the wearing of masks as being weak, being wimpish.

He didn’t or wouldn’t get the point of wearing a mask – they’re not there to protect the wearer but to provide some protection from anything the wearer may be carrying.

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:56 PM

Lesh

Hes currently working as a go between for Saudi and Masters

Be easy for Trump, failed takeover, fake news!

• magicmac54

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:58 PM

Jail for Ashley@13 Bruce might as well wear a full eye slot Balaclava ha ha ha ha brilliant Jail, thats the best laugh ive had today mate lol

• hibbit

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:01 PM

saudi lifting ban on bein sports at midnight tonight ,

• WLtoon

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:01 PM

The way Bruce interprets our play i don`t think the balaclava he wears has any eye slots in it.

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:01 PM

Dubai

You about?

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:02 PM

Hibbit

I was just about to ask Dubai that if he was about.

Kosher?

• Adamn_92

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:03 PM

Did anyone watch the Southampton Liverpool game last night by the way and find it impossible to concentrate because Martin Tyler apparently decided to eat his microphone. Sounded like he’d ran to the match with how much loud breathing I could hear. Could hear his bloody dinner being digested.

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:03 PM