web analytics

Poll – How Will Newcastle Fare At Sheffield United On Tuesday?

If ever there was a match to gauge where Newcastle really stand this season, it’s Tuesday’s trip to Bramall Lane to take on Sheffield United. While Newcastle have had a very disappointing campaign, it pales in comparison to Sheffield, who finished 9th last season.

The Blades have not come out on top in any of their 17 league matches and are currently on just 2 points. They sit at the bottom of the table and have scored just 8 goals. In comparison, anemic Newcastle have more than doubled that total with 18 goals scored.

Newcastle stretched their winless streak to 7 with the defeat at Arsenal in the FA Cup on Saturday. Sheffield actually tasted victory for the first time this season by defeating League One’s Bristol Rovers in the FA Cup. Hopefully, the Blades haven’t turned a corner.

The Magpies won both fixtures against Sheffield last season. The 2-0 win at Bramall Lane was Andy Carroll’s first start in his second stint with his hometown club.

Bruce made seven changes at Arsenal allowing some key players to get a needed break. Though we are waiting on the availability of Callum Wilson and Jonjo Shelvey, who were sent home after making the trip to the Emirates.

There will also be questions on the availability of Ryan Fraser, who has returned to full training last week. Jamaal Lascelles only lasted a half on Saturday after making his return from Covid. Andy Carroll probably shouldn’t be risked with only a few days to recover after starting on Saturday.

Bruce will still have plenty of options and will hopefully be able to field a team to get all three points on Tuesday. This is an extremely important match that the lads have to pick up a result in.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Sheffield United On Tuesday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Adamn_92

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:13 AM

Sorry missed bus….

Well said Neil, sorry you had to post on here and apologies from me personally. Don’t mean this to start another argument, but I accept i’ve been involved in a few back and forths, whilst trying to keep it civil, I know it hasn’t always been. Will keep any squabbles, disagreements or debate strictly football based and non-personal. I’ve apologised and offered apologies to those who feel i’ve upset them or such before, so again i’ll send those apologies out. Let’s see this as the line in the sand, move on and keep it football related here on out.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:16 AM

Adamn,
    I really don’t think you need to apologise to anybody on here, you have been polite and imo a very good contributor to the blog in your short time here, apart from the odd lesson in face moulds your chat is 95% football.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:16 AM

In Japan, professional football clubs have a pay structure that mirrors the corporate world here. No particular pressure to retire, other than common decency if you’re clearly passed it, and get a pay rise every year.

I notice that the one true evergreen “King Kazu,” Kazuyoshi Miura, has just signed a new contract to play past his 54th birthday in Japan’s top flight, and he’ll undoubtedly be on a wedge somewhere between 6 to 8000 quid a week.

Not that he needs it after 35 years as a top pro, in Brazil, Japan, Italy and Croatia, but still not bad for 3 for 4 substitute appearances a season. He adds a few thousand to the gate just by warming up, and on the very off chance he might get a run.

Shinsuke Nakamura, now in his 40’s, and who Steve Perryman once remarked “could open a tin of beans with his left foot” is also still playing, and doing very nicely too, domo arigato gozaimasu.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:19 AM

I’m quite surprised to see Sheff Utd as favourites when theyve only managed two draws so far. If Bruce loses I can’t see him remaining. Funny game. One the one hand it’s vital to win in order to stay up and keep takeover alive. On the other hand, we lose and Bruce might get sacked which could also be our best chance of staying up and keeping the takeover alive. Worst case scenario losing but keeping Bruce anyway.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:21 AM

Nicky,
    Andy Carrol should go play in Japan.

• Ron Knee

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:22 AM

We can still post on “other non-controversial subjects”.

• Adamn_92

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:23 AM

Jail,

I think most of us could do with apologising and starting fresh to be honest, even if we don’t think we’ve been rude or insulting, kept it mainly to football etc etc, we’ve probably strayed off topic a few times, upset someone by disagreeing with them and come across the wrong way. I’ll stand by i’ve never been insulting in our back and forths, but me and Mund probably took up blog space and distracted the chat with our non-football related arguing. So sorry Neil and to Mund again, for that. I’ll keep all covid chat for work too! haha

So, on to football….. Tuesday depends massively on team selection I feel. If we decide to go for it (which we should) and go for an attack minded selection, Wilson, Murphy, Almiron and possibly Carroll if he feels fit enough then I think we should get the result. If we are more cautious, Wilson isolated up top, Hendrick, Shelvey slowing the game, Ritchie and Joe on the wings etc, I think it’ll be a bore draw personally with either side too afraid to lose and go for it.

• Adamn_92

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:29 AM

40% of fans on here think we’ll lose. Sad state of the club when 40% of the fans on a Newcastle blog think we will lose to bottom of table who have only 2 points from 17 games. That’s how much optimism has been sucked out of the club with Ashley at the helm and Bruce leading the team :/

• Mister Tuff

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:32 AM

But Munster has earned and worked hard to get the soubriquet Moanster. Will not seem natural not to call him Moanster now.

• G

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:38 AM

I think we will lose this one. I hope I’m proved wrong, but teams at the SU end of the table tend to start fighting for every inch this time of year, and I can see us getting on the end of it. It’s also very difficult to gauge where we have much goal-scoring threat or creativity. I’m usually quite optimistic, but I just don’t feel it about tomorrows game.

• lesh

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:42 AM

Looking at the headline, Bruce’s probably planning his tactics for Sheffield United on Wednesday!

• lesh

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:43 AM

@11

What tosh!

• Adamn_92

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:46 AM

Apologies magicmac didn’t see your comment on the last post! Thank you that means a lot, I think we could all take a page out of your book for not getting into any spats! haha

• Novocastrian66

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:47 AM

There are a lot of outside influences in football these days. From finance to politics. Subjects that would never have been spoken about in conversations about football until relatively recently.
    It’s very difficult to have a debate about football without these subjects creeping in somewhere.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:48 AM

Well,I definitely thought Shola could have come here, rather than gone off to Turkey and then Notts County. He’d be a big big star if he had, living a life of utter ease, still trousering 10 000 quid a week, knocking plucky lightweight Japanese centre backs around, scoring mishit goals in front of screaming fans and the odd belter with his head, and with a nice little sideline appearing on wacky TV game shows on the go and endorsing any number of products he wouldn’t dream of using himself. He probably has more self respect though, haha.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:48 AM

Mister Tuff,
    Even my new phone automatically changes Munster to Moanster, it would be easier for everyone if he would just change it to it’s correct spelling.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:00 PM

If only everybody could be more like Mund then we’d have no arguing.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:02 PM

Ff post

Looks like chelsea vs fulham is moving from Friday to Saturday.

It hints that villa v Spurs is off and Spurs v Fulham will take its place on Wednesday..

• magicmac54

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:03 PM

Adamn 92 Adam you have nothing to apologise for on this blog lad, you have always been polite and showed respect and your obviously very intelligent, i know you and Mund have had a few problems, i wont get involved in that dispute, i was also friendly with Kevin Vegan when he was on the blog, i know your not Kevin Vegan though, i also like and respect Mund so will continue chatting to you both, but i suspect Mund and yourself will patch up your differences going forward as life is to short for bitter bitterness and grudges.

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:09 PM

Good sentiments from Neil et al, I’ll start by apologising to anyone who I may of upset with any views I may have ever held and any future views that I admit are wholly my own but may at times be controversial and not necessarily in accord with the views of others.

That should cover it, a “get out of jail card” for my next blunder 🙂

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:10 PM

JFDB @17, very funny, loved it! 🙂

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:13 PM

Tuesday night is Bruce’s Waterloo, there is no hiding place if he loses this, no excuses will hold water and any remaining shred of credibility will have finally gone – he must follow.

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:19 PM

What’s up? Have I missed the bus, killed the blog or has everyone gone for early lunch? It’s lonely here talking to myself, it’s just like lockdown! 🙂

• Nufc-83

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:20 PM

Bruce loses this and it should be a no brainer regarding the sack but unfortunately as we all know he will stay whatever happens as Ashley is clueless.

Ideally if we had a manager with any sort of capability at this level we should be setting up in a 4231 or 433 formation. I would love to see the following in a 4231:

Darlow
    Yedlin Schar Fernandez Lewis
    Hayden M Longtstaff
    Murphy Anderson or Gayle Almiron
    Willson

• DrGloom

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:20 PM

Everyone’s allowed an opinion , no need to slag someone off for it
    In reality Carroll shouldn’t be playing at all, the fact we need him more in defence than his ability as a striker says more about the current state of our team.

Just another big lump for Bruce to chuck in the team – I praise his effort but his striking days are long gone

• carltoon

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:23 PM

It’s the fact the team the manager the owner are so horrendous, out of the cups no decent football, only the thought of avoiding relegation to talk about has brought the blog down, I know I’ve been involved in some stupid arguments, sometimes you can’t help yourself, let’s hope we get this takeover and all the posters who’ve left will come back, then all the pettiness and targeting of a few people will stop.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:23 PM

I think most fans would take a loss if it guarenteed a guy like Thomas Frank would come in. Would be interesting to see a poll.

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:25 PM

Phew! I’m not alone. Fantastic.
    NUfc83, not a bad line up, not convinced by Lewis yet though, hasn’t shown enough in defence or attack since his arrival, hope he settles soon and shows what he’s made of.

• geordie157

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:26 PM

Similar to nufc-83 in terms of line up, i’m tempted to play Ritchie in front of Lewis which should help Lewis both defensively and going forward.

Darlow
    Manquillo, Schar, Fernandez, Lewis
    Hayden, M.Longstaff
    Murphy, Anderson, Ritchie
    Wilson

Although I can see Bruce playing Wilson and Gayle together. So Gayle for Anderson with more of a 442 formation

• carltoon

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:26 PM

Cleverlys bob nice to see you back. Surely we can beat Sheffield United. But can’t see Ashley sacking Bruce.

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:27 PM

Hi Carltoon, you’re far too sensible – cut it out, be an idiot like most of us! 😉

• lesh

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:28 PM

cleveleysbob

I wonder whether issuing pre-incident apologies, banking them for later use, might pass muster?

• kimbo

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:29 PM

I would like to see Wilson and Carroll upfront for the Sheffield game, this could be the only way we can score more goals.
    Almiron and Joelinton should be dropped.

• carltoon

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:29 PM

Hope Wilson is ok, Haydon and Matty or Shelvey, in midfield thought Hendricks wasn’t to bad against Arsenal.

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:31 PM

Seriously though, I truly hope we tonk SU, and improve our GD. Of course I realise that this will save Bruce for probably the rest of this season, so I’m conflicted. However my preset mode is that I never want us to lose, so can’t change from that, just to see the back of our useless pudding of a coach. Ooh I’ve called someone a name, I’ll be in trouble, get the apologies in now 😉

• lesh

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:31 PM

carltoon

Sadly, I think you’re right that Bruce’d be allowed to carry on if Tuesday’s result is as expected. How much slack will Ashley give Bruce before he realises he’s left it too late – again!

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:33 PM

Lesh, the problem will be if they pass “Munster”, sorry, I’ll stop now 😉

• carltoon

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:34 PM

Bob, like you stuck in the house worrying, just hoping we get through. Some decent football would help .

• lesh

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:35 PM

cleveleysbob

I’d have no worries about letting Bruce have the rest of the season if he could guarantee we wouldn’t be relegated? He can’t and if Ashley believes he can or even leaves it to Charmless, Barnes and Bishop, there’s something sadly wrong with his judgement.

• Moonraker15

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:36 PM

The bookies have Sheffield United clear favourites tomorrow but if our lads show the spirit they did against Arsenal there’s no way we’ll lose.
    I’m having a bet on us winning at odds of 9/4.
    Howay the lads!