web analytics

Poll – How Will Newcastle Fare At Sheffield United On Tuesday?

If ever there was a match to gauge where Newcastle really stand this season, it’s Tuesday’s trip to Bramall Lane to take on Sheffield United. While Newcastle have had a very disappointing campaign, it pales in comparison to Sheffield, who finished 9th last season.

The Blades have not come out on top in any of their 17 league matches and are currently on just 2 points. They sit at the bottom of the table and have scored just 8 goals. In comparison, anemic Newcastle have more than doubled that total with 18 goals scored.

Newcastle stretched their winless streak to 7 with the defeat at Arsenal in the FA Cup on Saturday. Sheffield actually tasted victory for the first time this season by defeating League One’s Bristol Rovers in the FA Cup. Hopefully, the Blades haven’t turned a corner.

The Magpies won both fixtures against Sheffield last season. The 2-0 win at Bramall Lane was Andy Carroll’s first start in his second stint with his hometown club.

Bruce made seven changes at Arsenal allowing some key players to get a needed break. Though we are waiting on the availability of Callum Wilson and Jonjo Shelvey, who were sent home after making the trip to the Emirates.

There will also be questions on the availability of Ryan Fraser, who has returned to full training last week. Jamaal Lascelles only lasted a half on Saturday after making his return from Covid. Andy Carroll probably shouldn’t be risked with only a few days to recover after starting on Saturday.

Bruce will still have plenty of options and will hopefully be able to field a team to get all three points on Tuesday. This is an extremely important match that the lads have to pick up a result in.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Sheffield United On Tuesday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• carltoon

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:37 PM

Hope he does try Carroll and Wilson up front, but will Andy be fit enough after his efforts at Arsenal ?

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:37 PM

Ashley will be too scared to go down the dinosaur route, but too clueless to go down any other route so unless a top big name famous manager like Blanc puts himself forward, we seem to be left with Eddie Howe, Ranieri, or one of the Steves. I could see Moyes or Dyche coming here too even though they’re in the Bruce mould and would just inherit all the hatred Bruce leaves behind, Ashley probably doesn’t see that. If he goes leftfield it will be a former megastar player like Gerrard or Viera or even Steve Harper.

• Tackle from behind

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:39 PM

Fatty does have some history on sacking a failing manager but often too late, leaving the incumbent with little or no time to stem the freefall to relegation.

If we lose to Sheff Utd, then he must sack the Hispi Hippo before it’s too late.

Who would replace him is anyone’s guess, but there are one or two who would come forward and have a go for the money or just to get noticed.

Fattys only interested in staving off relegation so he can sell at his highest price.
    If the PiF sale doesn’t come to fruition, then he will look for another buyer and this purgatory will continue ad infinitum.

• lesh

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:39 PM

cleveleysbob

Naughty naughty. I thought about making it clear I intended to use the word ‘muster’ but chose not to run the risk of offending others.

• hibbit

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:39 PM

been to the vets this morning and come back to a host of peace in our time statements,
    well we all know how went, LOL

see there’s a little bit of the pot calling the kettle black as well going on from the usual suspects,honest m’lud it wasn’t me,

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:41 PM

My thoughts for the team are:
    Darlow/Dubravka (either will do)
    Manquillo, Schar, Fernandez, Dummet
    Hayden
    Murphy, M Longstaff, Anderson, Almiron
    Wilson

I’d use Hayden as an old fashioned “sweeper” just between the back 4 and midfield. This, in theory gives the midfielders a chance to support Wilson better.

• carltoon

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:43 PM

Hibbit, we’re all to blame,

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:45 PM

Lesh, couldn’t help myself, sometimes you just have to do the obvious and wait for the flak.

I get the impression that there’s going to be a lot of Geordie fingers crossed tomorrow.

• Tackle from behind

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:46 PM

Carltoon

We ALL share some of the blame.

But it was mostly your fault.

🙂

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:48 PM

Not you Carltoon, you’ve never said a bad word against anyone ever.

Although I do remember a certain poster (not to be named) getting you a little riled up once or twice 🙂

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:49 PM

Risky comment that Tackle, hope you’ve got your helmet on?

• hibbit

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:51 PM

carltoon total agree and it’s gone on way to long,so lets hope this new incentive works

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:51 PM

Hibbit, it’s a New Year, we’re all playing nice, mostly to shake off the doom and gloom of yesterday. You keeping OK?

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:52 PM

Incentive? Are we being paid to be nice? Where’s mine?

• Adamn_92

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:53 PM

I hope the new incentive works but realistically I probably give it until this evening or after the match tomorrow at the latest lol

• magicmac54

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:56 PM

Carltoon

I agree i also think Hendrick played ok against Arsenal, in fact i think Newcastle played really well in the second half on normal time and could have won the match, big Andy Carroll turned the clock back and played a blinder, he was everywhere all over the pitch, although i think he might not be fit enough to start against sheff utd with such a quick turnover.

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:56 PM

Ooh, my bad, it’s incentive as in idea, not reward, shame could have done with an extra income stream 🙂

• hibbit

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:56 PM

if the Saudi’s and the Qataris can do it we can do it also,
    Peace my friends.

• hibbit

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:00 PM

please sir cleveleysbob is picking on me!!!!

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:04 PM

Ha ha, wimp :)!!

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:05 PM

That’s me on the naughty step, didn’t even last past half a day!!

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:09 PM

On the team issue, I don’t think AC will be able to recover for Tomorrow, that’s why I left him out of my lineup, I’m utilising Almiron as a number 10, undoubtedly his best position and having him buzzing in and around Wilson with the AM backing up should be capable of turning over SU, so long as we all turn up!

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:09 PM

Tackle,
    Sorry mate but which failing managers has he sacked in the nine he’s employed. There’s only Allardyce and Mclaren. The frightening thing is we have more points at this stage than McCartney did even after a loss tomorrow. He won’t be sacked as he is the perfect yes man. Sacking him now would mean promoting a new manager money to spend.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:11 PM

Villa Spurs off.
    spurs Fulham on instead on wednesday.

fulham Chelsea moved back a day, Fri to Sat.
    Villa Everton moved back a day, Sat to Sun.

• cleveleysbob

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:12 PM

Hi Jail, I think McCartney would have done better than McClaren!! Bloody autocorrect eh?

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:19 PM

Mclaren promising

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:20 PM

cleveleysbob,
    I think Yoko Ono would do a better job.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:20 PM

Neil

Well said, although i can’t help thinking you may be kicking a dead horse, some of the idiots on here just can’t help themselves.

It’s would take no effort to use a person’s chosen blog name instead of obviously goading them constantly, even if the perpetrators hate them, which I don’t believe is the case.

And I reckon that geordietom will be back if he wasn’t having to put up with insults purportedly written in the name of humour. Do so many really find that funny, I don’t!

I’m probably upsetting a few with my comments, so am more than prepared to go into lurking mode for the foreseeable future.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:21 PM

GP,
    I’ve got no option but to FH then ffs.

• Tackle from behind

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:23 PM

Jail

I would add Chris Hughton to that shortlist.

But my main point is – Would Ashley risk relegation for the sake of his “yes man”

With the potential of losing the PiF (or any other) buyout.

Or will he wait till the transfer window shuts, then sack him and hope for a hero appointment.

There will always be someone who comes forward willing to take the job and if the Bruce managed to convince him he was worth a try, others will too.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:24 PM

Sheffield United will see us as the team that they can get a win against they will be right up for it

We need players in the middle with energy I would like to see Hayden, Matty and Almiron as the middle 3

With Wilson, Anderson and Murphy as the front 3 unless Fraser is back fit then have him instead of Anderson

I just think if we play Carroll Sheffield United will take advantage as they will have that extra body in midfield against us and its predictable for us to just hoof it much easier for their defence to deal with rather than pure pace

• Great White Hunter

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:27 PM

Clevelysbob #46, that’s the same same I would pick for tomorrow, still think we might struggle, hopefully we can get a draw at least.

• Great White Hunter

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:30 PM

Same team I would pick………crappy,duff error ridden iPad !

• Legolas

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:33 PM

Jail,

In response to your post on the previous thread, you asked me who Rafa’s poor signings where. I put down 7/8, and said you could argue that Daryl Murphy could be added to the list, however I thought he did well.

I was just playing devils advocate and suggesting that people might say that they were all poor signings. I’m not sure what is hard to understand?

All mangers make poor signings, or sell players on who turn out to do well at other clubs. Including Rafa. It doesn’t make them bad mangers, even the great ones make mistakes.

To suggest you can’t have football talk on here anymore, as people don’t know what they are talking about, suggest’s that only you can make a statement.

I live in the north east and have followed Newcastle all my life and had a season ticket for the best part of 15 seasons. I followed them home and away during this time. I’m not saying I am a font of all things Newcastle, but I feel I can have a decent debate.

• Tackle from behind

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:33 PM

Is Alan St Maximin available for tomorrow?

He said he was fit and well when asked on twitter???

• Moonraker15

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:34 PM

Ashley isn’t going to appoint anyone in a permanent position whilst the takeover is still possible. Anyway no reputable manager would take the job knowing he’s gonna be replaced!
    We are stuck with Bruce unless he decides he’s had enough.
    So we’ve got to get behind him and the team to save us from relegation which shouldn’t be too difficult. A point a game to the end of the season is more than enough; then it’s bye bye Bruce!

• Mund

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:36 PM

Well said EGB

• Ron Knee

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:39 PM

Moonraker

How can people “get behind Bruce” when there’s a ban on spectators?

• Adamn_92

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:41 PM

Moonraker,

Other alternative is Bruce is sacked because a takeover is imminent and Ashley get’s in the manager that the buying consortium want in, with the promise that the takeover is happening soon. That’s very wishful thinking but you never know! Think unless we find ourselves in the bottom 3, Bruce is here to stay until a takeover. Even if we are in the bottom 3 and Bruce gets the sack, we’ll be lucky to get anyone in as they may see it as a lost cause by that point; relegation zone and possible takeover where you’d likely be replaced anyway.

• Adamn_92

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:43 PM

Bruce said about Darlow and Dubravka that it’s ‘a tough decision’ which I don’t understand. Darlow has been superb all season and is in fantastic form, you never drop a player in form unless for injury/fitness reasons. Shouldn’t be a tough decision at all, Dubravka is amazing but to drop Darlow for the sole purpose of having Dubravka play would be criminal.