web analytics

Bruce Makes 8 Changes In Our Team For Sheffield

This is the team we are predicting Steve Bruce will name for Tuesday’s crucial match at Sheffield United. It has 8 changes from the FA Cup loss at Arsenal.

On Monday, Bruce mentioned the squad being refreshed after resting some players against Arsenal on Saturday. So that indicates he’ll once again make plenty of changes. On Saturday, he made 7 changes and we could see close to that amount on Tuesday.

First off, there now seems to be some hesitation on Bruce’s part about Karl Darlow continuing as the number one. Martin Dubravka made his season debut at the Emirates and was outstanding. However, it would be quite brutal beyond belief to drop Darlow so soon.

Bruce may opt to switch the formation against Sheffield after facing top clubs over the past four matches. We don’t think he’ll go to a back four just yet, though. The lads created plenty of chances in this system on Saturday so Bruce will probably stick with it.

We suspect the back five that played against Man City, Liverpool, and Leicester City will return. Jamaal Lascelles may be rested after coming off at half-time at Arsenal due to fatigue. Paul Dummett also will likely be rested after making his return on Saturday. Yedlin returns on the right after a rest while Ritchie gets recalled on the left with Jamal Lewis still nursing a knee injury.

The midfield pairing is a tough call. We have Matty Longstaff and Isaac Hayden, who were the pairing at Man City and against Liverpool. It may be somewhat defensive but Matty shouldn’t lose his place after getting a rest over the weekend. He was a bright spark in the three matches he started last week.

In attack, both Callum Wilson and Ryan Fraser return. Both were in the training images released today. Fraser has been out since the Brentford defeat while Wilson only missed out at Arsenal as a precaution. Miguel Almiron keeps his place despite playing the entire match, including extra time, over the weekend.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Sheffield United On Tuesday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Romford mag

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:07 AM

• lesh

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:08 AM

Romford

An inspired choice which I’ve never heard of let alone heard.

Brilliant

• captainmarvel

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:09 AM

Mund impressed mate, good on you!

Joelinton I hope never to see him in a black and white shirt again, unless Chorley could do with a linesman..

I am nervous that Ashley is giving credence to a turkey like Bruce to keep the club in the premiership especially when the Sauds would walk if we go down..

• lesh

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:12 AM

Romford

For all Geoff Lynn’s a talented musician, he’s one I’ve never been able to get away with. I couldn’t even see how he fitted into the Wilburys but hey ho, if he was good enough for Harrison, Petty Orbison and Dylan he must’ve had something I still can’t see – probably because he’s more the technical/ producer type than the others.

But, who am I to judge.

• Romford mag

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:17 AM

Lesh

Seemed quite fitting really ๐Ÿ˜‰

• lesh

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:18 AM

Have a look at these guys doing a cover of Fleetwood Mac…..

Nowt flash, just eempressive

• lesh

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:21 AM

And Orbison, a key player in that band. Bless him.

• Romford mag

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:23 AM

Right I’m away

Wor/Lesh and anyone still lurking

Good night take care stay safe and look after yourselves ๐Ÿ™‚

• lesh

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:26 AM

I’m off too

Goodnight or day everyone.

Take care and be happy.

• Wor B

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:29 AM

Good night Lesh, Rom and anyone still out there.

Stay safe, not long now!

• Romford mag

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:35 AM

Wor

Night bud ๐Ÿ™‚

• lochinvar

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:49 AM

Bruce effectivy said that Dubs was back in for the FA Cup run we were gong on so Darlow holds the shirt for the League.
    It should stay that way unless Bruce wanta to rock the boat and disrupt the teams cohesion.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:42 AM

All three of our keepers are good, but I’d say Woodman is or soon will be the most valuable. You also have to wonder if the reason our keepers look so good is down to them having so much practice. We’ve conceded a lot of goals this year, but possibly had more shots against us. I think Dubravka last season had slightly more to his all round game than Darlow this season, but I’d like to see Woodman long-term so if it’s a choice between selling Woodman or starting him, I’d consider starting him.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:48 AM

With Bruce saying no attacking players coming in and mentioning how much weve spent, I think the simple explanation is Ashley has said we’ve spent millions up top and you’ve not delivered so theres no way I’m forking out another 20m. Look who we’ve signed.
    Almiron 20-25m
    Joelinton 40-43m
    ASM 20m
    Wilson 20-25m
    Fraser on big wages
    You can’t just keep throwing attackers at Bruce hoping one will eventually do well. We have almost a one-in-one-out rule, so Ashleys not going to allow more while that lot remain.

• beermonkey

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:31 AM

dave

to be fair take joelinton out of it thats not bad group of attackers

i know he hasnt started that many but i thought almiron would have been
    chipping in alot this season
    had a little run of goals last half of last season looked to have turned the corner and something to build on

i look at them and think we should have scored alot more goals

• cyprus

Jan 12, 2021 at 6:23 AM

Jane
    Excellent point. Sheffield aren’t much different from the high flyers everyone was admiring last year.

Fine margins.

Will we lose or win?

You guessed: who knows.

Fine margins.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 12, 2021 at 7:59 AM

JaFDB,
    Why’ve you added an extra ยฃ5M on to each players fee?

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:10 AM

Despite Sheff Utd looking so shite on paper they’ve only lost by more than one goal four times times all season, a pummelling off Chelsea who were scoring for fun at the time and Soton who had also hit a bit of form. The other two they lost 2-0.They’re normally defensively quite solid, Bruce’s main game plan (only game plan) is to sit deep and try to get one on the counter, if we’re forced to attack them Bruce might go in to panic mode and throw on four attackers with fifteen minutes to go. I bet he’d snap your hand off for 0-0 if you offered him it now.

• DubaiMicky

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:38 AM

LAWRO’S PREDICTION
    Sheffield United have finally won a game this season at the 19th attempt, overcoming League One side Bristol Rovers in the FA Cup on Saturday.

The Blades will look at this one as winnable too, especially compared with their upcoming Premier League games against Tottenham (h), Manchester United (a) and Manchester City (a). They have got to go for it.

Newcastle are on a poor run themselves right now, taking only two points from their past six games and going out of the FA Cup at Arsenal.

I know Newcastle don’t do all-out attack whoever they play but surely they won’t just sit back at Bramall Lane? I wouldn’t understand that, because this is obviously a very winnable game for them too.

I don’t think there will be much in it, but I am going with the Blades here. They are bound to break their duck in the league at some stage, and at least they will have a bit of confidence after the weekend.

I know people will say it was “only” Bristol Rovers they beat, but a win’s a win when you are in a situation like they are.

Prediction: 2-2

• The Rev.Jim

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:39 AM

Goal keeper dilemma,it reminds me of Shilton v Clemence for inger land.
    There was always a mistake in Clemence.
    Dubravka is my Shilton,Darlow has a mistake in him.
    He has done well but lets be honest here,he has had more shots at him than any other keeper,so he’s bound to save a few.
    I’d sell him in summer and let Dubravka be challenged by Woodman,as he’s come of age.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:42 AM

JaFDB,
    ” You also have to wonder if the reason our keepers look so good is down to them having so much practice”
    I’ve wondered that myself, if you put Mcarthy, Henderson, Meisler, Sanchez, Guita in our goal would they also rack up the most saves in Europe. Darlow was never that good before when he never had much to do. If a keeper makes a few howlers it normally ends up in them getting dropped and it’s made a big deal of, we can’t say anything at all if Darlow makes a mistake because he’s kept us in so many games.

• The Rev.Jim

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:43 AM

The bruce’s comment about not needing anyone up top.
    How can he fit them in,Joe9 has to start, ๐Ÿ™

we play 1 striker and have Wilson
    Gayle,and Andy,so in his eyes we don’t need one.

Is Fraser fit again,I’d play him as a 10,he can shoot “the kid”

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:46 AM

The Rev Jim,
    Whoa spooky ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• The Rev.Jim

Jan 12, 2021 at 9:03 AM

Jail “Whoa spooky ? ”

It would have been nice if you had said Great minds think alike ๐Ÿ™‚

I’d have gone up in the world ๐Ÿ™‚

Dubravka gives me confidence.
    Darlow I’m always waiting for the mistake.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Jan 12, 2021 at 9:07 AM

Jail just because I wasn’t sure of the prices, but they were around those figures. I’d be tempted to go with Woodman next season, although all three are great. Dubravka has extra qualities though so he’s possibly still our best bet. It reminds me of when we had Krul and Forster both coming through.