web analytics

Masters Shares Very Little About NUFC Legal Battle In Response To Local MP

A letter Premier League chief Richard Masters sent to Blaydon MP Liz Twist has surfaced online today. That letter, dated December 23rd of last year, is in response to a letter the local MP sent to Masters addressing the concerns of her constituents involving the Premier League.

NUFC HQ has provided the full letter via their Twitter account.

While MP Twist’s concerns primarily regard Newcastle United, Richard Masters first tackles subjects concerning the Premier League as a whole. He responds to questions about the EPL assisting EFL clubs as well as the rejected proposition dubbed Project Big Picture.

In the final two paragraphs, Masters responds to what was the primary concern of Twist and her constituents, the Premier League’s Owner’s and Director’s tests, and the failed Saudi takeover of Newcastle United. On that front, Masters provides very little insight, as is expected since there are unresolved legal disputes between Newcastle and the Premier League.

The last paragraph is where Masters references the current situation with Newcastle United specifically, and their arbitration case against the league. He doesn’t reveal much but does say that he wants it resolved in a timely manner.

Here is the final paragraph from the letter posted above:

“In relation to any specific ongoing legal matters, as you will probably know, Newcastle United recently announced that they have commenced arbitration proceedings against the Premier League in connection with a proposed takeover of the club.

“Given that the parties have agreed that the arbitration is to be a confidential process, there is little very little (if anything) I am able to disclose to you regarding the case.

“Arbitrations (including those held by the FA) are generally heard in private, and this is no exception.

“There are generally good reasons why parties choose to have disputes resolved by way of confidential arbitration: for example, it can be more informal, it protects sensitive information and it encourages honesty and frankness from parties and witnesses.

“I would like to reiterate that it is the Premier League’s desire to have the matter resolved in a timely manner.”

• cleveleysbob

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:20 PM

Just missed bus see comment on previous page, please.

• Mund

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:21 PM

I wouldn’t put any confidence or trust in the Premier League doing anything in a timely manner.

• Northumbrian

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:23 PM

Yes but resolved in who’s favour?.

• Ashingtoon62

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:25 PM

Magicmac @51 previous post.

Yes Prem survival is a MUST for the current deal to go through.
    This is off Keith Patterson by the way,from his appearance on Steve Wraiths podcast.
    Considering that he’s in touch with the consortium,I’m inclined to go with him instead of Mund ?

• Assassins Inc

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:28 PM

Neil it’s a new year, please when posting about Masters instead of his damn face let’s put up a picture of Tim, nice but dim.

• cleveleysbob

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:28 PM

Magic, from previous re: relegation outcome.

The reason I assume it would be called off if relegated is simply down to money.
    (1). Ashley wouldn’t be able to get his (written in blood) asking price.
    (2). The consortiums plans will be based on PL income levels and beyond, although PIF could easily finance a year in the Championship, I’m sure that’s not in their plans. They are an investment group and will expect certain returns.

• Ashingtoon62

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:30 PM

As soon as Ashley had instructed his barristers,the case had in fact begun.
    The smarmy tw@t Masters has giving foot all away.
    The hearing itself is supposed to be going ahead this month (apparently)

• Northumbrian

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:32 PM

Isn’t it the PL who appoint the arbitration panel?.
    And weren’t the PL accused of delaying tactics?.

• Mund

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:34 PM

Keith was talking in a hypothetical situation and he also said he believes it will be approved by March

ofc a relegation would be detrimental to it all but it will be sorted before such damage is done IMO

• Not another deJong

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:38 PM

March at the soonest, not a deadline.

• Adamn_92

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:40 PM

If the takeover hasn’t happened by the end of the season and if the worst was to happen and we got relegated, I don’t think anyone would blame PIF if they walked. They want a sound investment with returns and to be a powerhouse, stamp their mark on football. Can’t do that in the Championship and they could easily go to any of the ‘safer’ clubs in a top league and build from there instead.

• HpoolMag

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:41 PM

Almost halfway through the window and not a bean spent, not many complaints cos the focus is elsewhere. If kindly Mr Ashley gets anymore transfer windows out of this saga I might stop believing he really has our best interests at heart

• Mund

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:43 PM

That’s not a definite date by Keith as he said on the podcast from a fans view but he obviously has more idea about what’s going on than the rest of us.

It could be before it could be after as nobody can control the time frame in all this

• JohnJ

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:46 PM

I think I’d be one of a hundred thousand plus to be gutted if it did not happen!

• HpoolMag

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:48 PM

Surely we have to see less passbacks to the keeper tonight it will be criminal if we dont, frustrates the foot outa me when we are close to their 18 yard line one minute then 3 passes later it’s back with our keeper

• Not another deJong

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:48 PM

Having come on at halftime and played extra time, I wonder if Ritchie will recovered sufficiently for tonight. I guess he might start and expect Lewis to take over at some point.

• Mund

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:49 PM

North

They both pick one of there choosing and have to decide on the third and if they can’t it will go to the FA panel to decide who that third will be.

• magicmac54

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:50 PM

Ashingtoon Clevleysbob and Mund

Not trying to tempt fate, but if we were to lose tonights match, and given whats at stake in relation to the possible takeover, do you think Ashley would replace Bruce?

• Adamn_92

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:50 PM

I think anything other than an attack minded team selection, attack minded set up and attacking football tonight tells us what we already know about Bruce. He doesn’t know how to attack and will try to grind out results via defence no matter who the opponent.

• Not another deJong

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:54 PM

Mund

How do you propose it could be before March? The man in the know indicated a 6-7 week schedule was required to resolve everything. What inside knowledge has your mate got that it could be quicker?

• cleveleysbob

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:55 PM

Magic, hell of a question. The only true answer is I don’t know, but given Ashley’s history, whilst I’d hope he would, I don’t think he will.

• Ashingtoon62

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:58 PM

magic- no unfortunately I don’t think he would be sacked if we get beat tonight.
    I would have sacked the footer on Christmas eve,cos I’m really nasy haha. 🙂

• Mund

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:59 PM

De Jong

I only commented what someone told me with there conversations with people in side the legal profession and how it could effect the time frame.

I’ve always said February just with a logical conclusion of everything we’ve seen and what I know but who knows? It could be done before end of month it might be Feb it could be March… Hopefully with the next stage of arbitration upon us it will make things a little more clearer or were we are at and how much longer this could still go on for.

I fully back Keith he has my full support on Twitter and he is a top man IMO

• Ashingtoon62

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:02 PM

Anyone having a bet on us? we are still 9/4.

• gillmag

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:03 PM

Anyone else think Anderson should start tonight?
    He looked great going forward and was very energetic the other day??

• hibbit

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:08 PM

magicmac

Keith Patterson said on the Steve Wraiths podcast “staying up was considered a must for the deal going through” if that is true and i’ve no reason to doubt Keith Patterson i think Ashley would have to protect his investment and sack Bruce,
    but Ashley is a maverick gambler so logic goes out the window and anything could happen,

• magicmac54

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:08 PM

Clevleysbob

Good honest answer by you there my friend, i guess nobody knows what goes through Ashley`s head when it comes to important decisions about Newcastle, but its usually a decision thats not to the overall benefit to Newcastle unfortunately ha ha ha.

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:13 PM

Mund, I don’t know if their are specific agreements for Premier League (their could be) but standard arbitration law is as follows (I know this from my job);

In an Arbitration you and the other party agree on either 1 or 3 arbitrators.

If it is 1 arbitrator you must choose it together.

If you choose 3 person Arbitration then you each choose 1 arbitrator and then the two arbitrators choose the 3rd arbitrator who is the chairman.

• Mund

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:16 PM

Magic

Strange I thought I already answered you but my post hasn’t shown.

I don’t think Bruce is under any real pressure yet and I doubt he would be until everything is resolved and it’s out of Ashley’s hands. But if things get worse who knows as you would imagine the consortium would be concerned.

There is the fact we are talking about Ashley here but no doubt Bruce will pick up a few lucky results to keep our heads above water and keep Ashley content.

• magicmac54

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:17 PM

Hibbit

Thanks very much for opinion in relation to the takeover been approved or not if we were relegated, and Hibbit your so spot on Ashley is indeed a maverick and a gambler so logic does indeed go right out the window, we are on the same page there Hibbit, lets hope to god we manage to get 3 points this evening Hibbit as relegation is not an option this year.

• captainmarvel

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:20 PM

My take (for what it’s worth) is there is little point in continuing with arbitration if we drop and continue to drop down the league.
    There again who would trust Ashley to do something positive for once? If he allows the club to fall, his chances of selling the club will deteriorate faster than a fart in the wind…

• Mund

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:21 PM

Tinman

From what I understand and what’s being said it will be a 3 person arbitration where like you said both sides choose a representative which I assume will be someone from Bird and Bird for the PL and DeMarco for us. They then have to decide on the third and if they cant come to an agreement it will apparently go to an FA panel for them to decide on the last member and there vote is final.

• Mund

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:23 PM

Tinman

Can I ask if you don’t mind? Within you’re profession do you think the pandemic will have a big effect on the length of time it will take to conclude any stage of the case?

• carltoon

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:25 PM

I doubt very much Bruce will be sacked if we lose tonight, not unless Ashley has got a manager lined up, and that’s never been the case in the past. I’ve got zero confidence that we will get a win. Of course I would love a win, but no matter what team we play, they make hard work of it.

• magicmac54

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:25 PM

Mund

You did explain about the takeover in relation to relegation, and i had no cause to doubt your answer my friend, its just a few fellow bloggers had a different take on your answer so iam just politely responding to the lads who give me their opinion, iam always very happy to hear all the different opinions as i dont know all the legal stuff

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:27 PM

Mund @17, I’ve just checked with the FA. You are correct.

– Either party submits Notice of Arbitration to the other. (Date of Arb DoA)
    – Within 14 days of DoA, each party submits to each other their names, nature of dispute, proposals in relation to the Arbitration procedure (if they want to change any rules), and their appointed arbitrator.
    – Within 14 days of this, the parties can submit a Response to each others Notice of Arbitration.
    – Within 14 days of the issue of the Response both parties have to agree on 3rd arbitrator otherwise FA (unless they are part of the dispute) will decide on the 3rd who will be chairman.

Then basically you have unlimited time (unless you agree to timescales which would be confidential) for the arbitrators to review all documents and information and then their will likely be a hearing anything from a day to a couple of weeks. Within 45 days of this finishing the arbitrators will come to a decision.

If there is not a consensus then majority decision wins, if their is not a majority decision then vote of the chairman wins.

• Mund

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:28 PM

Magic all good mate I agree if the worst happens and we did get relegated it would be detrimental to any deal but you know me Mr Optimism 😉 I don’t think of such bad things

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:30 PM

It will not be DeMarco and Bird and Bird. Each arbitrator has to be completely independent to the case when brought on. DeMarco etc are hired to help prepare all of the documentation which they want to share, prepare the case and advise whether they should go to arbitration.

The Pandemic should have no effect on these proceedings. Everything can be done via video conferencing if necessary.

• Mund

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:31 PM

Tinman

Defo more long term then aghhh damage limitations it is.

Worries me the third member of the arbitration team as you never know how far someone’s reach goes but that’s the sceptic in me.

• Adamn_92

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:32 PM

I want to know what that random Chelsea fan on twitter thinks about all of this