web analytics

Masters Shares Very Little About NUFC Legal Battle In Response To Local MP

A letter Premier League chief Richard Masters sent to Blaydon MP Liz Twist has surfaced online today. That letter, dated December 23rd of last year, is in response to a letter the local MP sent to Masters addressing the concerns of her constituents involving the Premier League.

NUFC HQ has provided the full letter via their Twitter account.

While MP Twist’s concerns primarily regard Newcastle United, Richard Masters first tackles subjects concerning the Premier League as a whole. He responds to questions about the EPL assisting EFL clubs as well as the rejected proposition dubbed Project Big Picture.

In the final two paragraphs, Masters responds to what was the primary concern of Twist and her constituents, the Premier League’s Owner’s and Director’s tests, and the failed Saudi takeover of Newcastle United. On that front, Masters provides very little insight, as is expected since there are unresolved legal disputes between Newcastle and the Premier League.

The last paragraph is where Masters references the current situation with Newcastle United specifically, and their arbitration case against the league. He doesn’t reveal much but does say that he wants it resolved in a timely manner.

Here is the final paragraph from the letter posted above:

“In relation to any specific ongoing legal matters, as you will probably know, Newcastle United recently announced that they have commenced arbitration proceedings against the Premier League in connection with a proposed takeover of the club.

“Given that the parties have agreed that the arbitration is to be a confidential process, there is little very little (if anything) I am able to disclose to you regarding the case.

“Arbitrations (including those held by the FA) are generally heard in private, and this is no exception.

“There are generally good reasons why parties choose to have disputes resolved by way of confidential arbitration: for example, it can be more informal, it protects sensitive information and it encourages honesty and frankness from parties and witnesses.

“I would like to reiterate that it is the Premier League’s desire to have the matter resolved in a timely manner.”

• Mund

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:32 PM

Ah even more concerning Tinman but I have the faith

• carltoon

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:33 PM

Soo, has the case been going on for weeks or are they just starting it? God we’ll be here forever. Why oh why does this just happen to our Team! Can someone up there give us a break.

• Mister Tuff

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:35 PM

Off subject slightly. Just watching Sky News showing Trump just about to board Air Force 1.
    Lot of people in the crowd watching his departure standing shoulder to shoulder – a crush – none of the thick barstewards wearing masks. How thick are these people. Really they must be low in intelligence.

• Mister Tuff

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:36 PM

Neil/The Wife – why won’t your country folk wear masks – what going on?

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:37 PM

Anyone can access the FA handbook 🙂

Arbitration is on page 135/612 of the PDF (page 131 of the actual document).

• captainmarvel

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:39 PM

Every effort must be made to retain our premier League status above all else.. Any talk of takeovers has to be on the back burner and will be pointless unless we stay in this league..
    If we lose tonight fat boy has to act, if he does nothing then I am afraid my positive thinking will start to wane..

• carltoon

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:39 PM

When I listened to Keith on the podcast, although he was very passionate, and he won’t ever give up, it seems to me, he’s just keeps getting brushed off. he never really give out much detail. I still love his enthusiasm and he deserves a lot of credit for taking this on. I’m still in the can’t believe any good coming from it, but hoping passionately that it goes through. It’s the hope that kills.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:39 PM

Mind,
    How come you’re on first name terms with Keith?

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:40 PM

Mund, all the arbitrators should be totally impartial. If you think they aren’t you can challenge the appointment from the other party or the one appointed by the FA. You’d have to prove some grounds for doing so. These people are professionals and of course take their role extremely seriously, any accusation of bias and they would be investigated. They could lose their licenses etc.

I know that the world is rife with corruption but arbitration should be one of the few things we can trust (hopefully).

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:41 PM

BTW arbitrators don’t necessarily have to be involved in football at all. For example someone involved in the upper echelons of another sport may be a suitable candidate.

• Mund

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:43 PM

Jail am I the only one just using his first name?

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:45 PM

Based on the leaks of legal disputes in Mid-Nov kind of time you can assume now all arbitrators are likely appointed and the evidence is being reviewed.

• Munster Mag

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:46 PM

Mund ignore him.

• Munster Mag

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:47 PM

HpoolMag

Jan 12, 2021 at 1:21 PM

Or on the other hand that nice Mr Ashley who we must remember only has the good of the club on his mind could just carry on spinning this saga out whilst yet another transfer window passes us by. I mean it’s not like he hasn’t done it before is it

Utter nonsense. Ashley wants to sell, he’s not spinning out a saga.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:48 PM

I think we need the two Fs to play tonight, Finesse and Fire, Jonjo and Big Andy.

• Mund

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:49 PM

Tinman

Forget all outside noises of time frames, in you’re professional opinion and with that assumption you mentioned, how long do you think it could range between?

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:51 PM

In all honesty though I can’t imagine this case is actually that complex.

The Premier League rules/regulations etc are all out in the open. It’s not like there are multiple contracts and parties involved. Or it’s not like there is a dispute over the terms of the contract.

It’s contract not tort law, excuse the pun but it should be fairly black or white unless the Premier Leagues Ts and Cs are ambiguous.

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:52 PM

Ah Mund sorry, I couldn’t possibly comment on timescales. I work in Construction which is an absolute sh!t show at times. Work for tens of millions of pounds and no contract signed or agreed etc.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:55 PM

I don’t know Mund it just sounds like you know him?

• AncientC

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:55 PM

Tonight’s game has the gloss of 0-0 written on it, but I don’t see how Sheffield Utd can sit back. The same goes for Bruce, he’s all but lost the fans at this point… he needs a good win to stall the voices calling for his neck. If Bruce loses this one he will not be able to hide behind any more excuses.

On that note, I’ve taken 175/1 odds on Newcastle to win both halves and most corners in both halves. Has to be worth a punt at those odds.

[FF Post] As somebody that is perpetually behind on the blog, Gothmog’s FF updates are very handy to read. Sorry to Martoon, I’ve gone all-in with my wildcard.

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:57 PM

Now come on Jail, remember that we all agree to be good chaps and chapettes the other night 🙂

• lochinvar

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:59 PM

Arbitration is normally a cheaper way of trying to resolve some matter without the huge legal costs of court cases.
    However I think the decision at arbitration is normally “binding on both parties”.

One party usually has a weaker case than the other but is trying to wiggle off the hook to avoid paying otherwise excessive damages and court case costs. Perhaps this is the EPL trying to be seeking to have clarification on some matters so that they come out of this having been seen as fair and proper with their reputation intact. Otherwise they could be blown out of the water if they are found to have acted illegally and been compromised by the influences of the secret six and bein and Sky and Barclays etc et etc In that situation the EFL would not be fit for purpose, Directors deemed unfit to run that business and the secret six would have an awful lot of dirty washing being aired in public. Going through arbitration ,clarifying some matters and then agreeing to announcing the takeover as being approved would serve them well. NUFC would then be seen to have followed all the rules and would no doubt sign confidentiality clauses that allow the EPL some face saving to protect their cozy little caliphate.

Any other decision than allowing the takeover to be completed would see the EPL caught stark naked in the headlights and in Fenwick’s windows which wouldn’t be nice now would it.

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:00 PM

Jail, Goth, Ancient etc. etc,

I’m looking forward to challenging for my title again again next year. I feel a bit like an old boxer who hung up his gloves to see the pretenders fighting it out, now I’m ready to return and smack them down 👿

But in all seriousness, I think the FF talk on here is managed well, nobody goes too over the top or overboard but there is enough banter it adds to the community.

See you next year 😉

• Mag52

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:00 PM

My Brucie bingo for Sheffield United.
    Darlow
    Murphy Yedlin Fernandez Schar Ritchie
    Hayden M.Longstaff Almiron
    Wilson Joelinton.

HWTL.

• Mund

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:01 PM

Tinman

I’m a sparky mate what’s a time frame? 😉

• The mighty wyn

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:02 PM

Tinman@ 52
    I too think everything is up and running and that’s why de Marco said he had a busy 3 weeks before xmas.
    Wouldnt be at all surprised if it’s been heard already and the extra time now is for completion of o and tests
    On the other hand I could be completely wrong but I’d like to believe

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:03 PM

The Tinman,
    I’m just asking if he knows the guy, what’s the problem.

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:05 PM

lochinvar, the decisions are nearly always legally binding.

It is in this case, from FA Handbook, “the Award shall be final and binding on the parties from the date that it is made, who shall be deemed to have waived irrevocably any right to appeal, review or recourse to a court of law, arbitral body or any other body of any nature.”

Arbitration is cheaper, but the main reason people choose it is probably confidentiality 🙂

• HpoolMag

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:06 PM

Munster- and you would know about Ashley’s inner business dealings would you, I’m sorry but your opinion about Ashley’s intentions is based on is just that, an opinion as is mine, I’ve based mine on his previous behaviour

• Mund

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:06 PM

Liam Kennedy
    @LiamJKennedy23
    51s
    Had loads of messages/DMs/mentions re Richard Masters’ letter, dated December 23, in which #NUFCTakeover arbitration is mentioned in it.

To be clear, he talks about ‘arbitration proceedings’. The hearing itself has NOT, to my knowledge, started.

#NUFC

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:08 PM

Jail, no problem with it at all, it’s just not really football related and given the history between yourselves I would suggest it’s intended to be provocative 😆

• lesh

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:08 PM

Tin man

Looking at the language of the quote about the arbitration process, it looks as though that’s from the EPL guide when it says that….

‘Within 14 days of the issue of the Response both parties have to agree on 3rd arbitrator otherwise FA (unless they are part of the dispute) will decide on the 3rd who will be chairman.’

As I understand it, and I may be wrong that statement assumes that the EPL initiated proceedings and it could therefore appoint the third arbitrator.

However, in this instance, arbitration was initiated by NUFC and thus the EPL has to justify its position in relation to NUFC’s claims and furthermore, the Club gets to pick the third arbitrator if the two parties can’t agree on one.

If I’m right, it seems that the ball’s very much with the EPL to justify its contention that KSA would need to be assessed against the O and D test criteria, rather than the club justify its claim that PIF should be considered.

Ashley’s no mug.

• HpoolMag

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:09 PM

Tinman – could I respectfully ask from your experience would this arbitration have to be about a sale or could it be about compensation, I guess I’m asking would the process be a different one

• lesh

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:10 PM

Tin man

I’d suggest that the FA handbook won’t count for anything in this instance – it’s the club that initiated the process, not the EPL

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:10 PM

The Tinman,
    A major disadvantage when we can’t see each others eyebrows.

• Uncertain Toon/World

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:11 PM

Any news on Fraser?

I’m toying with the idea of chucking him into a 5 man midfield in my FPL team!

It’s saying 50% late fitness test on that physioroom thingymebob

• lesh

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:13 PM

HpoolMag

Arbitration is about settling a dispute and unless compensation is the matter to be considered, then the process is about resolving the dispute between NUFC and the EPL about the PIF/ KSA issue

• mindcompressor

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:13 PM

I’m sorry but when I see that tw@t I just want to slap his Dick’s face…

Big game tonight. I hope we can manage win. Howay the lads and lassses 🙂

Greetings from Poland! I hope you are all in good health.

• The Wife

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:14 PM

Mister Tuff,

The short answer is: Masks don’t work.

States in the US have increasingly required people to wear a mask in public places/stores/etc. But yet the number of COVID cases keeps rising despite compliance. So what gives? There are a few of things going on here (imho):

1- Wearing a mask is probably giving people a false sense of protection, and they are becoming lax on the practices that actually WILL help prevent spread (like washing your hands and not touching your face).

2- The testing mechanism is flawed, and there are a lot of “false positives” out there inflating the numbers.

3- Americans generally don’t like being told what to do. 🙂

Writer Alex Berenson has put out some very good information about masks. Here is a link to an article about his work:

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:14 PM

UT/W,
    I’ve gone with six players this week, probably going to drop about 750K in rank and get knocked out of the cup 🙁