web analytics

Masters Shares Very Little About NUFC Legal Battle In Response To Local MP

A letter Premier League chief Richard Masters sent to Blaydon MP Liz Twist has surfaced online today. That letter, dated December 23rd of last year, is in response to a letter the local MP sent to Masters addressing the concerns of her constituents involving the Premier League.

NUFC HQ has provided the full letter via their Twitter account.

While MP Twist’s concerns primarily regard Newcastle United, Richard Masters first tackles subjects concerning the Premier League as a whole. He responds to questions about the EPL assisting EFL clubs as well as the rejected proposition dubbed Project Big Picture.

In the final two paragraphs, Masters responds to what was the primary concern of Twist and her constituents, the Premier League’s Owner’s and Director’s tests, and the failed Saudi takeover of Newcastle United. On that front, Masters provides very little insight, as is expected since there are unresolved legal disputes between Newcastle and the Premier League.

The last paragraph is where Masters references the current situation with Newcastle United specifically, and their arbitration case against the league. He doesn’t reveal much but does say that he wants it resolved in a timely manner.

Here is the final paragraph from the letter posted above:

“In relation to any specific ongoing legal matters, as you will probably know, Newcastle United recently announced that they have commenced arbitration proceedings against the Premier League in connection with a proposed takeover of the club.

“Given that the parties have agreed that the arbitration is to be a confidential process, there is little very little (if anything) I am able to disclose to you regarding the case.

“Arbitrations (including those held by the FA) are generally heard in private, and this is no exception.

“There are generally good reasons why parties choose to have disputes resolved by way of confidential arbitration: for example, it can be more informal, it protects sensitive information and it encourages honesty and frankness from parties and witnesses.

“I would like to reiterate that it is the Premier League’s desire to have the matter resolved in a timely manner.”

• HpoolMag

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:16 PM

Cheers Lesh kinda answers my question I think

• Unused Substitute

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:16 PM

After an arbitration process the aggrieved party in general can approach a court. Does anyone know whether the arbitration process dealing with the dispute between NUFC and PL would be any different?

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:16 PM

For the record, I work in a commercial role, I negotiate and administer construction contracts. There is crossover, but I’m far from an expert!

Lesh, I think you’re misinterpreting it. I’m pretty sure each party chooses their own and agree on the 3rd OR the FA chooses the 3rd.

Hpool, the arbitration could be about any dispute technically. Compensation could also be brought into it, but what compensation? Less money due to lower position in the league? That would all just be speculation and based on what the buyers said they would spend etc. I doubt anything would be enforceable as it would be so hard to prove what Newcastle have actually lost by sale being delayed by a year.

• Uncertain Toon/World

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:19 PM

Jail,

Used me FH as I was looking at 5 players this week and a couple are unserviceable ish.

I can squeeze Fraser in if I bring Mahrez in for a 5 man mid or a bring Rashford in a just play a 4.

I’m conflicted pal 🙁

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:20 PM

Unused, see my comment 68. I don’t think it can be challenged in this case

• cleveleysbob

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:20 PM

OK, I’m asleep, tonight’s game has just kicked off and within 5mins we’re 0-1 up.
    Just knocked the stuffing out of their new found enthusiasm.
    Just before half time, we go 0-2 up a wickedly deflected own goal, destroys their belief.
    2nd half is a stroll, with us adding 1 or 2 more. Final whistle goes, happy days, huge relief all around and blog goes to bed happy and peaceful. 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:20 PM

The Wife,
    The only positives we can take from this worldwide shambles is that if a really nasty emerges which kills anyone within days like the plague, which will definitely happen one day as it’s happened in the past, hopefully governments world wide will be much better prepared and lockdown everything before putting economy first.

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:21 PM

Uncertain, don’t bring in Fraser. Even if he plays tonight he is prone to injury, rest, rotation. Don’t do it 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:22 PM

UT/,W,
    Is Fraser still not flagged as injured. Gundogan would be a very good differential.

• cleveleysbob

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:22 PM

Wake me up at 8:00pm and tell me I’m not dreaming!!

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:23 PM

Uncertain

Saka, 5.3m if you dont have him. Playing Palace at home, even ES-R is a decent punt.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:25 PM

Im guessing 95% of the Free hit teams this week will have 10 of the same players in it. Ok maybe 9 at a minimum.

• magicmac54

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:25 PM

I must say there has been some great posts today on football related matters , and everyone has made an amazing contribution, i really enjoy the debates and hearing different opinions, from my fellow bloggers, its been a total pleasure to see the fans all motivated and pulling in the same direction, united we stand, divided we fall.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:26 PM

ES.R as first sub on a FH is essential £4.4M no brainer

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:27 PM

Magic

Its been a nice blog to read the last 48 hours or so. A little insight for what the blog will be like once the takeover has gone through.

Unless Mandy hires Rafa, then we’re all screwed.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:28 PM

GP,
    I’m hoping bar my six everyone else blanks 😀

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:29 PM

Lesh @74, I missed that comment. But as the FA are the governing body of football in England then their laws will apply.

‘The Football Association (The FA) is the national governing body for football in England and is responsible for sanctioning competition Rule Books, including the Premier League’s, and regulating on-field matters.’

• Unused Substitute

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:30 PM

TheTinman @85: thanks for the clarification but one more question. The doc you linked came into effect in Jul 2020. Our dispute predates that. Would you think stipulations of the latest Handbook would still apply?

• cleveleysbob

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:30 PM

On the pandemic, people world wide are blaming their governments and sometimes there are issues to be answered, but the biggest blame lies in the millions of people who either haven’t obeyed the rules as laid down, or blatantly refused to accept there is a problem and have held marches, parties, raves etc. Spreading the virus throughout society.
    There is no government that can compensate for people’s stupidity.
    Only in dictatorships (like China) where they can enforce total lockdowns of cities and population, can they have any sensible success.

As we are a democracy, we have to live with loony’s who don’t believe in the virus or the stupids who just don’t care and hope the vaccine gets out quickly enough to save the rest of us from their bone headed lunacy.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:32 PM

Jail

Freehit teams id predict

A keeper
    Cancelo, AWb, Stones
    KdB, Bruno, Son, rashford, Saka
    Kane, Wilson.

maybe 4 at the back and no wilson, otherwise most will be the same.
    Maybe dias in for a city defender too.

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:32 PM

Unused, you’re probably right, this dispute would relate to the previous years handbook (good spot). However I would very much doubt there were any changes to those clauses. But I’ve been wrong before!

• lesh

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:33 PM

Tin man

Check out Appoitment of Arbitrators

And though I’ve nowt other than an ignorant layman’s view, I’d still argue that the FA guide to arbitration would only be relevant when arbitration was initiated by a body within the FA’s scope – the EPL in this instance.

In this case, the proceedings were initiated by NUFC and presumably English legal rules apply.

I may be wrong but one must ask oneself why the club didn’t want to ho down the arbitration route proposed by the EPL.

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:34 PM

Right, no more takeover talk from me. On to tonight’s game. Still bricking it. The only silver lining is if we lose this one surely Bruce has to go. Surely…

• geordietom

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:34 PM

not football related …

question for the older lads on here have you received your letter off the the government yet ? about the covid Vaccination ? i got mine this morning and they said ill get the jab mid February. just wondering if you lads have heard anything …

• cleveleysbob

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:34 PM

Sorry about that. Non football related, kind of a response to chat between Jail and The Wife, plus a few earlier comments. Just needed to get a little rant off my chest.

• Uncertain Toon/World

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:35 PM

Jail,

Bit close for comfort there with the old 1630 deadline!

Gone for a 4 across the middle, squeezed Rashford in coz I just saw him on telly with a tray of clementines. Best he’s got his head in the game and not thinking about bag meals.
    Rashford/Bruno/KDB/Son should garner a few points in midfield hopefully

• lesh

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:35 PM

The Wife

While the author you mentioned may be learned, I switched off when I read that his views were endorsed by Fox News!

• cleveleysbob

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:36 PM

Nothing yet Tom, hoping for early Feb.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:37 PM

UT/W,
    If I could get 50 points with my six players I’d be delighted.

• Uncertain Toon/World

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:37 PM

Goth,

Nice of you to put that up after the deadline 🙁

• Unused Substitute

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:37 PM

The Wife @79: Correlation does not imply causation. The rising case load may not be due to ineffectiveness of mask. It could be due to many other things. From what I have been reading recently, there is more or less a consensus in the scientific community about the effectiveness of mask.

• Sav

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:37 PM

We are talking about arbitration to decide whether arbitration should have been insisted upon by the PL and refused by NUFC, right? Essentially, talks about talks. There’s nothing inherently biased about having an interested party putting each side’s case. Who else is going to do it and guarantee that it was done to the fullest satisfaction of either side? Presumably, with at least one or more likely 3 adjudicators. So its DiMarco no.9 for the Toon! I only hope it is decided by a penalty shoot-out and not by a call from some 4th official and the PL’s remote VAR.

• magicmac54

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:39 PM

Gothmog`s
    Pyjamas

Yes its been very good on the blog recently, i think a lot of the spats and argument`s have been caused by sheer frustration with everything this past year with the takeover not getting the green light, then you add covid to the mix its been a very difficult year for everyone, so lets all hope for better times in the future fella.

• TheTinman

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:40 PM

Lesh, I don’t understand. Even if it were UK Law (Arbitration Act) it still has very similar timescales and the rules for appointment are as follows; each party chooses and arbitrator, the two arbitrators choose the 3rd arbitrator. There is no advantage to either.

All I can think is that DeMarco thought strongly enough we might take them to court. Or possibly wasn’t fully prepare for it and refused to be rushed into proceedings. Or possibly the EPL in their Notice had suggested some terms which NUFC weren’t happy with. My guess would be DeMarco wanted to delay the proceedings and appear to be the aggressor.

I might be wrong, but as a Premier League club I’m pretty sure NUFC would fall under the FA jurisdiction and their rules would apply.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:40 PM

Tense twenty minutes here while we wait to see what team he’s putting out tonight.

• geordietom

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:40 PM

cleveleysbob…

hope you get your letter soon mate i take it your gonna have the vaccine ?

• Uncertain Toon/World

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:41 PM

Arrrghhh,

Was thinking about Saka yesterday in a 5 in the middle, didn’t cross my mind today for some reason. Blinkin Rashford walking around with tray of clementines clouded me judgement!

• lesh

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:42 PM

As an aside, I’m still waiting for a reply to my comment/ complaint about friend Robbie Savage’s attitude to NUFC and its fans who phone into his radio 5 programme. It was submitted in late December

This is today’s apology for no response and I can only hope our concerns are being investigated.

Here’s today’s mail from the BBC

We’re sorry you have not yet received an answer to your complaint. We reply to over 90% of complaints within our target period but there are always some which we regret can take longer than this since it depends on the nature of your complaint and how many others we are also dealing with. We will respond as soon as we can but in the meantime thank you for contacting us and we apologise for the delay.

Kind regards

BBC Complaints Team

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:42 PM

1 hour 17 Minutes to KO.

• The Wife

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:42 PM

That’s certainly your prerogative, lesh. 🙂

Alex Berenson cites a lot of studies/scientific data, however. I wouldn’t discount his research simply because a network you don’t like gave him some airtime on their channel.

Anyway, that’s all I’m going to say about that.

Game time is approaching, so let’s hope Newcastle can get a win and put some happiness in all our hearts. HWTL