web analytics

Bruce Responds To Questions About His Future After Another Tiresome Display

Newcastle failed a big test this evening at Bramall Lane. This match, against the league’s basement dwellers, was an opportunity to show Newcastle were at least better than the clubs below us.

While this is the Premier League where anyone can beat anyone, the manner of defeat tonight made it perfectly clear that it’s just not working for Steve Bruce. He did well enough last year to keep the club safe under very trying circumstances, but the remit this season is to improve over the last one.

Bruce’s capability of moving this club beyond abject insignificance grows increasingly unrealistic with each tiresome performance. The transfer window should have been enough to take this club forward at least somewhat. But it has regressed.

While three of our signings did arrive from relegated clubs, Bruce is just not getting the best out of this squad. The performances swing like a pendulum from decent to dreadful then back again. They rarely ever reach a level where this team is gratifying to watch.

This lack of consistency falls on the shoulders of the head coach. Bruce now has a fight on his hands to keep this team out of trouble. After failing to win in our last six league matches, Newcastle are no longer comfortably ahead of the bottom three.

It’s highly unlikely tonight’s result will spur Ashley into making a decision on Bruce’s future. But this can’t continue for too much longer. The Chronicle has asked Bruce about his future after tonight’s defeat and this was his response:

“You are asking the wrong one. I will never ever walk away from the challenge. I think I have been in it long enough to have that respect.

“I understand that in the first half we weren’t good enough. At the end of the day, I take responsibility for that because I pick the team.

“In hindsight, we have been trying something different in the last few weeks in going forward.

“I wanted to see us higher up the field and offering a goal threat and that didn’t happen.”

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 1-0 Defeat At Sheffield?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• lesh

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:09 PM

Tuff

A blood transfusion won’t stop you being a curmudgeon but despite that, we’ll look forward to your posts when you’re home.

😉

• CJ

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:13 PM

Tuff, Good luck tomorrow. just make sure it’s not a donation from Bruce 🙂

• cleveleysbob

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:15 PM

I’ve got it now – the Steve Bruce team selection process, pick 11 numbers at random out of a lottery machine or bingo callers basket.

That has to be the only rational explanation for that line up against the PL’s (haven’t won a game yet) bottom team.

He’s an embarrassment to football in general and unfortunately to NUFC in particular, and a Nightmare for all Newcastle fans Worldwide. I said it earlier today – Gawd help us!!!

• cleveleysbob

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:15 PM

PS, good luck for tomorrow MrTuff.

• cleveleysbob

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:20 PM

I’ve been hanging back, lurking in the shadows while everyone gets their rants off their chest, but bloody hell what a shit show!

Scary that the Chronic thinks he’s “safe for now”!! If that’s the case, we’re doomed as to act any later, will be too late.

Can’t people get sacked if they prove incapable of doing the job they are appointed to do? I mean without massive compensation, which of course is why the knacker will never walk!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:20 PM

Playing on the front foot
    Then tell me why you picked five centre halves
    Fernandez (C), Schar, Clark, Hayden and Dummett
    one forward – Wilson
    And left four on the bench
    Joelinton, Carroll, Gayle and Almiron who I would class as a forward.
    Yet he tells us in the transfer window we need another centre half
    You couldn’t make it up!!!

• cleveleysbob

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:22 PM

Seems I picked the right time, everyone else has left the building, OK then I’ll join you, night all 🙂

• cleveleysbob

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:22 PM

Oops sorry Charlie, didn’t see you there.

• cleveleysbob

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:24 PM

Don’t listen to him Charlie, that way lies madness!! 😉

• lochinvar

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:26 PM

Bruce
    please just shut up, this sort of crass guff is doing serious damage to fans sanity

Steve Bruce – “When you are in the bottom half you can end up having a run like this. We had a decent start. We knew the festive period would be difficult and tonight would be.”

“When you are in the bottom half you can end up having a run like this” – Why are we in the bottom half ? How does this work – because we’re in the bottom half ? Ergo if we were in the top half we wouldn’t have a run like this ?

“We had a decent start ” – so what. That counts for zippo unless you keep up the momentum.

“We knew the festive period would be difficult” Who says ? Blaming Santa is just wrong, plain wrong.

“We knew that tonight would be difficult ?” – Why ? Who said ?

There’s an old saying along the lines of : “the best way to predict the future is to invent the future”.

We are looking at a master class in disaster planning. Not how to avoid it but how to start it. Ashley owns this. Bruce is just the postman.

• catchy in norway

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:30 PM

I’m not sure what planet he is on, played a team with only 2 points and he said, with that team he wanted us higher up the pitch

5 defenders, 3 defensive midfielders, and the only 2 attacking players were Wilson and fraser. I guess he thought, they played well at Bournemouth ?,

Fraser, what the hell was he thinking both were stupid tackles, like he wanted to be sent off.

But the most stupid thing was how late he was at reacting with subs after the Red, our pass completion was the same as when Rafa was here, shocking for professional footballers 67%. I think you can tell our players have been training in isolation, they had no clue who to pass to.

SB out.

• lochinvar

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:33 PM

Mund
    Bruce has now gone eight games without a win and lost to rock bottom Sheff United but ChronicleLive understands that while Newcastle are out of the bottom three his position is not under immediate threat #NUFC

Could the Chronicle enlighten us with their source of this damming inditement of their so called reporting ? Have they spoken with Ashley ? Or Charnley ?
    Though not.

They are as bad at reporting as Bruce’s tactics.

• nufc 11

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:37 PM

Nufc paid millions in compensation to hire Steve Bruce when no one else would give in a job in the PL, now let that one sink in lads. I have as an nufc fan resigned myself to a life of misery and disappointment and anger.

• Wor B

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:39 PM

Loch

He’s not the postman, the postman delivers!

😉

• TheTinman BRUCE OUT

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:47 PM

Get out Bruce you swine

• chancel be a fine thing

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:53 PM

Looks like a season of wanting WBA and Fulham to lose.

• Wor B

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:56 PM

Been some good analysis among the anger (justified) tonight.

Worthy of a re-post from Nicky…

“Nicky the ball tosser
    Jan 12, 2021 at 8:28 PM
    Comment #35…

Even Rafa didn’t set us up that defensive, despite having nowhere near the attacking options that Bruce has, and against a team like that.

How do you pick Hendrick in the 11, when you’ve got any one of Almiron, Joel and Murphy to play instead. Incredible

541, at Sheff Utd, with Paul Dummett at LWB after so long out and playing 120 minutes at Arsenal 3 days ago, when he could have started Ritchie. Wow!

Ashley isn’t competent, probably isn’t even really paying attention, so it won’t happen, but Bruce should certainly go for that performance, and for the previous 18 months leading up to it. Should never have been near shouting distance of the job in the first place.

Ashley will be the death of the club, if this takeover doesn’t happen.”

• NY Mag

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:00 AM

Loch,

I have no love for the chronicle, but

Maclaren was in 19th place (24 pts from 28 games) when he was sacked.

Bruce is on 19pts from 17 games (8 points above the relegation zone)

Brighton are playing city and Fulham are playing spurs tomorrow, so in all probability that 8 point gap will still remain. (Ok Brighton are not 8 points behind us, but they are not in the bottom three either – what I mean to say is that the status quo probably won’t change)

In this case, I think the chronicle are bang on. Bruce’s position is not under threat right now.

Disclaimer : this is based on what I think will happen, not what I would want to happen.

• JohnJ

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:00 AM

Yes it’s time for Mr Bruce to move on

He is alleged to say something like “I’ll never walk away” well he did with Sheffield Wednesday.

I think they should strongly consider getting Nigel Pearson in to replace Bruce. He’s available right now just get on the phone and get him in now! I’m sure he could do a job for NUFC

I hope they don’t leave it too late like they with “the other Steve”.
    The time to act is now!!!!!!!!!!!!

• lesh

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:02 AM

Cleveleys

I’m not sure everyone’s left but think like me, they’ve been seething.

Bruce loses yet again and this time to the club at the bottom.

Legal action’s under way to get the takeover approved but….. it’ll not happen if NUFC’s relegated.

Bruce won’t walk and Ashley won’t want to pay him off and fund transfers for a replacement.

So, a £350m club sale at stake all for the sake of a few million spend. He’s going to fck up again. You couldn’t make it up.

Only under Ashley.

Keith Patterson must be wondering why he’s bothering.

• catchy in norway

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:06 AM

Bodo glimt, this is a proper coach. He plays football, not hoofball

• JohnJ

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:09 AM

My nightmare is that the takeover is finally approved and then NUFC get relegated so the buyers then pull out of the deal!!!

It’;s bloody painful being a Newcastle supporter.

• lesh

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:09 AM

Surely Eddie Howe’d be open to a fixed term contract without guarantees of expenditure on players. A good bonus for keeping us up might sweeten him, if it’s presented properly. Ah, there lies a problem – Charnley.

He knows a few of our players and seemed able to get results – perhaps Hendrick might need to be shipped out for the sake a harmony in the camp. He’d be as problematic as Ozel was for Arsenal..

Surely Ashley can’t agree to support Bruce, Shirley, Shirley not.

• Wor B

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:09 AM

Just to add some balance, John Tudor said pretty much the same as Nicky but with one word…

John Tudor
    Jan 12, 2021 at 10:18 PM
    Comment #1…

“Nob”

• JohnJ

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:10 AM

Aye well that’s me away ’till the morning.

Good night Irene and everybody else.

• lesh

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:10 AM

catchy in norway

Why not contact Ashley and offer your services. Ashley’s love you as you share a love for Rafa.

• Wor B

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:14 AM

Lesh

Don’t know where you are on this scale, I’m somewhere between 3 and 4

Shock and denial. This is a state of disbelief and numbed feelings.
    Pain and guilt. …
    Anger and bargaining. …
    Depression. …
    The upward turn. …
    Reconstruction and working through. …
    Acceptance and hope.

• Wor B

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:20 AM

• Marmike

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:24 AM

How can he spout rubbish about playing higher up the pitch when he plays 5 at the back and one forward with a totally ineffective midfield.
    One goal and one man down they start playing higher and could have stolen a draw with a bit of luck.
    The oaf must go!!!

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:31 AM

I did up till recently feel a bit sorry for Steve Bruce, the squad is lower mid, he was offered a job he didn’t feel he could turn down, but 18 months on and still hasn’t got the side playing further up the pitch and holding onto the ball for any meaningful amount of time, but any sympathy has now run out. That should take a preseason and ten games with the attacking players we have. No one expects this group to win every game, but you can’t go out and play like that, not after this long with the group, and not with players like Wilson, St Max, Joelinton, Almiron, Fraser, Murphy, Ritchie, Carroll and Gayle at your disposal.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:47 AM

Players should get together, no manager, no coaches, and thrash out how they want to play and how they want to setup, because Steve Bruce obviously can’t.

I don’t know if he’s lost the players, but he must have lost at least a few of the forwards. If I was Wilson, St Max, Almiron, Joel, Carroll or Gayle, I wouldn’t be happy at all.

• NY Mag

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:48 AM

Nicky,

I guess the question is, how do you get a functioning attacking third from the players you mentioned?

I guess there’s some injuries, some out of form and just some not very good quality in amongst that.

But, there’s also something in there that could do better….which is where Bruce fails, and he always will.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:00 AM

He’s got a problem in the middle of the park NY, we all know that. So he needs to address that and find that balance between attack and defense.

That’s the job of any manager, assess the squad, find the best way to set it up to be defensively solid and offer an attacking threat.

He’s floundering, flip flopping, when he should settle on a system, to my mind 4231, persevere with it and get the squad backing itself and posing a threat.

We aren’t a great squad, but we must be better than this, and if it’s a question of a lack of quality in a key position, then he needs to be banging down Ashley’s door. But really, it looks to me that as big a problem the centre of the park is for us, inadequate preparation and poor tactics is just as big a part of it.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:06 AM

I’m not even sure that Ashley, Barnes, Bishop and Charnley even recognize that the football is as bad as it is. I don’t think they know enough about football to realize just how poorly Bruce is doing.

• mindcompressor

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:09 AM

“I will never ever walk away from the challenge” – so he is going to take us down and be proud of it…

Can you imagine pilot without skills who says that he never walk away from the challenge and take several hundrets lives up in the air and do something with the plane? No responsibility at all.

Insane tw@t…

• NY Mag

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:12 AM

Nicky,

I understand what you’re saying, I’m no tactician,so you’ll have to understand me being a bit slow.

I get we need to strengthen in CM, what I don’t get is Bruce said we’re ok up top – the blog reaction was complete ridicule to that.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:14 AM

Shelvey and Sean Longstaff really are capable of much better. Why have they been playing so poorly?

• NY Mag

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:15 AM

Nicky,

I’m pretty sure (I could be wrong) that the hierarchy’s view of football is based on spreadsheets, statistics and probabilities.
    The longer Bruce remains manager, the longer I will believe that 🙂

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:19 AM

Well, my view is that he does have decent attacking players, but we don’t play to their strengths. We sit too deep, we don’t press early enough, we don’t play the extra man higher up the pitch, so the ball doesn’t stick up there, meaning low possession, fewer chances created, fewer shots on goal. He’s too scared of getting beat.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:26 AM

Or play deep, and counter attack at the right moment and incisively. We have the players to do that, but under Bruce we just defend in numbers admittedly quite well, but when we have the ball there’s no strategy or confidence at all.