web analytics

Former Magpie Perfectly Expresses The Problem Plaguing Newcastle’s Performances

This Newcastle squad’s lack of motivation at the moment is a poor reflection on Steve Bruce. The lads at times seem unmoved on the pitch. While I don’t knock their effort, there’s just been a malaise about the group this season.

There are plenty of events over the past year that can be pointed to as a potential cause. There’s been the disjointed start to this season due to the pandemic, the failed takeover that dragged on and on, and the Covid outbreak at the club in December.

Last season, the bulk of the performances were uninspiring, however, the lads showed a tenacity that has been absent for the most part this season. We can’t see this year’s rendition of Bruce’s boys pulling out late miracles like against Chelsea or at Everton last season.

Former Magpie Warren Barton, who is currently a pundit in the States, spoke to TalkSPORT about last night’s performance at Sheffield United. Barton has expressed perfectly the problem this season, and last to be fair.

The Chronicle has transcribed Barton’s comments, which are just spot on about Steve Bruce’s negative impact on the players before the ball is even kicked:

“I think it’s a mindset.

“I think of Newcastle going forward, being ambitious, winning games. Steve is going into games, not just now but all this season and last season, it’s about not getting beat and that sets a tone in the game.

“You’re playing against Sheffield United yesterday who haven’t won a game. You know they are going to be petrified and they are going to be nervous. We let them get into the game, we let them get a hold of the ball and we let them get some tempo.

“Forget about the red card. Even before that, the tone was set.

“Even when he gets interviewed afterwards, Steve, he’s supposed to be a Geordie from that area. When he wins the game there’s no passion. I remember Sir Bobby Robson and he’d be smiling from ear to ear, and Kevin Keegan as well.

“I used to walk into St James’ Park thinking: ‘how lucky am I to be playing for this football club?’ I don’t see that from the staff, I don’t see it from Steve, and I feel for the players because I think there’s enough quality to be playing a lot better, attractive football and winning games than what we’re doing at the moment.

“This has been a long time coming.

“Nobody looks like they are, even when they win a game, enjoying it, which is such a strange thing to say. I know Steve and I have got a lot of respect for him, he’s a good football guy but I don’t see him enjoying being manager of Newcastle and he is a Geordie so he should be enjoying it more than anybody.

“I look at what Steven Gerrard has done to Glasgow Rangers. He’s gone in there and grabbed that club by the scruff of the neck. He’s got hold of that club and took it forward. Someone needs to do that with Newcastle.

“Whether that is Steve or the ownership, they should enjoy being in that football club. There’s no ambition in the players.

“What is demoralizing for me as an ex-player, captain, spectator, whatever you want to call it, is that it is not enjoyable to watch. I am sure it can’t be fun to play in either.

“There have been glimpses. They got the new signings, they beat West Ham and you thought: ‘Come on then, boys. let’s have a go.’.

“But then it has slowly, slowly, turned back around again. It is negative, it is boring and it drains you because you can’t see a light at the end of the tunnel.”

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 1-0 Defeat At Sheffield?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Mund

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:16 PM

Rumours of Willems coming in. Does it really matter tho? Definitely need him and would love for him to be back but it’s not exactly the signing we are desperate for but will we even get that?

Anyone’s guess with Ashley but I think some money will be spent this January as no matter how much Ashley has gambled with us and our status in the past this is different as he wants to sell and you would have to be mad to not be at least considering sacking Bruce with our current form and alarming statistics.

But no doubt Ashley will think throwing some money at it and keeping Bruce will solve all the problems

• cleveleysbob

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:20 PM

Neil, I haven’t voted for a MoM because last nights events don’t merit such an accolade.

Maybe an extra line with “none of the above” would be the answer, although I suspect that this year, this would become the Player of the Season 😉

• Mund

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:23 PM

Warren Barton
    @warrenbarton2
    34m
    Yes yes and yes Thumbs upBlack circleWhite circleBlack circleWhite circle
    Quote Tweet

Shaun Minto
    @ShaunMinto91
    · 5h
    Replying to @ninenufc and @warrenbarton2
    Warren would you ever consider taking the job if it came up?

• Tackle from behind

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:27 PM

It’s all well and good talking of bringing in a few players to strengthen the squad, but are there any decent false players out there that would fit into Brucey’s strategy?

• Mund

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:28 PM

Tackle I think bringing anyone in will just paper over cracks and the real problem as we all know is Bruce.

• hibbit

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:31 PM

in all honesty would Stevie G want to come under this tyrant and with the prospect of putting a relegation on his cv,
    better jobs than this one will come along with a chairman who wants to back him, if he keeps working like he is a the moment,

also would Ashley be prepared to fork out more compensation on another manager . personally i think not ,

• Jamesthefirst

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:34 PM

An account on Twitter claims Ashley has told Penfold that Bruce has next 2 games to save his job. Loses next 2 games he wants him gone.

Arsenal
    Leeds

I have never wanted Leeds to win a football match more in my life.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:35 PM

just getting the GTM off the premises would probably gave the players a lift, just can’t see him having any inspirational qualities in his make up.

• WLtoon

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:35 PM

Afternoon gents, i have only read the last couple of hours posts after my shift and i can feel the vibe.
    I thinks it`s totally pointless talking about players coming in to improve the squad, especially midfield, what is the point with Bruce running the show.
    I think a lot of fans have thrown the towel in now, quite a few of my workmates didn`t even watch the game last night and are done until Bruce has been shown the door.
    What a mess we are in, i just can`t see it changing until we have the other strugglers breathing down our necks.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:37 PM

James

If that’s true it’ll be interesting to see the players reactions to that news.

Do they bust a gut to save him or amble around to see him off?

• Tackle from behind

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:37 PM

Mund

Aye mate, I know.

My post was just a joke on FALSE players availability.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:37 PM

The main problem isn’t Bruce at all, it’s the clowns that hired him and Mclaren, Carver and Pardew before him.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:39 PM

He has to go and it will be Nigel Pearson once the window is closed.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:39 PM

WLtoon

That’s exactly what I’ve been saying for some time now, new players will just be stepping into a shit show.

• WLtoon

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:40 PM

We could have the England first 11 playing in black n white under Bruce and i doubt we would be in the top 6, more like mid table.
    Even Messi would lose his enthusiasm playing for the false Geordie.

• Rob

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:42 PM

I have tried to do my bit as another poster mentioned yesterday, go on nufc.co.uk and use contact form to mention how you feel.
    Obviously nothing rude or derogitive.
    Simply pointed out bruces poor win % as was the same at safc, the buying of yet more defenders when we need an attacking mid to link the midfield to front line and bruces mass hysteria outbust about the fans echoeing his same lines at other previous clubs and his “to much respect to walk away” line being funny since hes walked from as many clubs as hes been sacked. Hes a leech and cares not about the club, he respects his bank balance hence staying on so he can be pushed and recieve compensation.

I know YT is dennis wise scouting but i had to see why MA and the club were so hellbent on joelinton so i went and watched some vids on him and hes not as shite as bruce has made him, i genuinely believe under a decent manager that we would get a better goal threat/return. Not saying hes a £40m player but hes not the plank bruce has made him

• hibbit

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:44 PM

it’s not Bruce we need gone it’s Ashley nowt will change as long as he owns the club,we continue to lurch from pillar to post under his ownership.
    new owners new manager,

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:44 PM

Pearson saved Leicester from the drop when they were in exactly the same situation that SU are now, he was sacked for some misdemeanours in their (next) Championship year as far as i can recall.

Wouldn’t want him as a permanent manager but he might just put the team back on a more stable footing.

• gillmag

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:46 PM

Well he’s managed to get us knocked out of both domestic cups and as I said he’s now firmly concentrating on getting us relegated – and I have to say he’s doing an excellent job!!
    If the Twitter account saying he’s got two more games to save his job is correct then he will be gone soon as we have ZERO chance of getting anything out of those games. But why wait…get rid now and at least install someone (anyone) who will drill some determination into this poor, poor team
    Never in my life have I seen such abject performances form a team.
    There are NO tactics.
    He should resign but he won’t as he wants a payoff.
    He constantly sets the team up for failure and never learns from his mistakes.
    If this takeover doesn’t happen soon then thats it – we really are finished as a club.

• geordietom

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:47 PM

yesterday i when for a scan for my AAA ( ABSOMINAL AORTIC ANEURYSYM )

which hasn’t grown thank god …

anyway i had a chat with the two nurses who were looking after me , i asked them when are they getting the covid jab ( bearing in mind they are front line workers ) they both said to me ” GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ” .

Adam i need to ask you are you a front line worker ? as you said youv’e just had your first covid jab , dont get how that works when two nurses dont even know when they will be getting theirs , not trying to pick a fight …

• Mund

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:48 PM

What could be a deciding factor is how confident the buyers and seller are of completing the deal.

The consortium have to be concerned with the form of the team and the direction we are heading in such a vital stage of the season.

Just look at how hard Staveley has fought for this club over the last 3 years with the setbacks she has had and the battles that presented itself during the O&D tests, you can’t tell me they aren’t sat there worried about there investment! All that hard work for it all to be Bruced!!!

I saw the change in Ashley when he released that damning statement against Masters and the PL and then he went and hired the best sports lawyer around in DeMarco which proved his seriousness in wanting this sale to the Staveley led consortium.

I think he will act as he wouldn’t go to all that effort just to let Steve footin Bruce mess it all up

• WLtoon

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:50 PM

EGB,

I have always looked at that Villa team as the best gauge of Bruce`s capabilities.
    Villa had the most expensive ever team in the champo yet they struggled for any kind of form and were 14th i think when Bruce left.
    The guy who took over from Bruce had the team playing to their strengths and put round pegs in round holes , he ended up getting them promoted.
    Bruce really is useless.

• Great White Hunter

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:51 PM

Buy, loan Harry Winks from Spurs, play a four midfield of Winks, Elliott Anderson, Matt Longstaff and Hayden, this would add pace, energy maybe a goal or two and a no fear factor. Play Gayle or Carroll up with Wilson ! Simples……my opinion only lads, lasses.

• Mund

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:55 PM

GWH

I like that idea mate.

I didn’t like not seeing Matty in the lineup as he has brought that extra energy in the middle that we are desperate for and made the high press look a doable tactic and was in good form.

I like the idea of a young energetic midfield supported by Hayden and would agree with playing Carroll as after arsenal we need that type of battle and the lad gets it more than any of them and will give that

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:56 PM

It would just be so bloody frustrating if he has been given two games to save his job and he manages to win them.

As James suggested, Howay Leeds, Howay Arsenal!

Does hurt saying that!

• WLtoon

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:57 PM

Come on Lads, admit it , how many of you had to buy a new tv today ha.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:01 PM

FASTEST GOAL EVER – RB Leipzig – Stuttgart II – 14.09.2013 …
    m.youtube.com/watch?v=_CFgLKycclA

Bricked new line up v Arsenal

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:02 PM

Brucie’s line up meant to be

• geordietom

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:03 PM

correction ABDOMINAL* AORTIC ANEURYSM

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:07 PM

The False Geordie (TFG) , I like that, might start to use it as his acronym! 🙂

• WLtoon

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:07 PM

The tweet about Ashley giving Bruce 2 more games?
    I like the sound of that ,but coming from Twatter it means nothing at all.

• Mund

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:07 PM

• WLtoon

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:08 PM

Cheers EGB

🙂

• onmeedsun

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:11 PM

Agree on Pearson. No nonsense sort of bloke who communicates well and can coach.
    Bruce just picks a team and gives general instructions, but there is no coaching of patterns of play. That’s how players and teams improve. Evidenced by Soton, Leicester, Everton, Wolves.
    If Bruce stays we know there is no takeover.

• theartfuldodger

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:14 PM

Wow…we are at yet another turning point…Another 2-3 loses and Bruce can pack his bags…Ashley is lucky that Bruce managed things for as long as he did…

I honestly think Bruce tries to find a magical formula and use that every game irrespective of opposition…

Irrespective of Bruce staying or not, a midfielder is priority…

• Rotonda heights

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:14 PM

BSIB

It’s spookily happening again. I find myself once again in total agreement with your posts. Very well put !

Essex

I think at this point not even replacing Bruce and maybe just letting Dawson ”caretake” would give the players a bit of a lift. Clearly Bruce has just headed way too many balls. That said, if I was Ash I’d throw everything at Tuchel or Lucien Favre who are both available.

Kets

Sven must be a hundred and five by now. Good call 20 years ago!

The irony of Ashley being a fit and proper owner is totally lost on the PL. Instead of causing a lot of heartache and putting up endless barriers the PL could have embraced something very special and equally beneficial to them.

On the basis of one game where Brentford reserves beat our full strength team, one observer on here said that Thomas Frank ” wasn’t all that, ” or words to that effect. Said same observer delighted in Arteta having a bad patch, despite having now won 4 on the bounce. Finally said same observer has gone from being the poster boy for our current calamitous manager to throwing him under the bus big time. It does help when you know and understand a bit about football without regularly making yourself look a complete tit.

• toonluvva

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:19 PM

“We cannot solve our problems with the same same thinking we used when we created them.” – Einstein

So from the mind of a genius we learn that for NUFC to prosper we must rid ourselves of Ashley, Barnes, Bishop and Bruce.

I just wish it were that simple. Although if Ashley was to go the others would swiftly follow.

HTWL!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:22 PM

Dodger

That’s what I said yesterday, he’s a chancer, sticks a few names in a hat and plays whatever ten comes out apart from the GK.

I’m surprised we don’t have a 6 & 7/8s playing in some games.

• Not another deJong

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:27 PM

If true, even discussing a 2 match window should raise the prospect of a straight dismissal. What happens after one of the next two matches are won? There is still a whole half the season to be played with a lethargic squad.

1 2 3 5