web analytics

Former Magpie Perfectly Expresses The Problem Plaguing Newcastle’s Performances

This Newcastle squad’s lack of motivation at the moment is a poor reflection on Steve Bruce. The lads at times seem unmoved on the pitch. While I don’t knock their effort, there’s just been a malaise about the group this season.

There are plenty of events over the past year that can be pointed to as a potential cause. There’s been the disjointed start to this season due to the pandemic, the failed takeover that dragged on and on, and the Covid outbreak at the club in December.

Last season, the bulk of the performances were uninspiring, however, the lads showed a tenacity that has been absent for the most part this season. We can’t see this year’s rendition of Bruce’s boys pulling out late miracles like against Chelsea or at Everton last season.

Former Magpie Warren Barton, who is currently a pundit in the States, spoke to TalkSPORT about last night’s performance at Sheffield United. Barton has expressed perfectly the problem this season, and last to be fair.

The Chronicle has transcribed Barton’s comments, which are just spot on about Steve Bruce’s negative impact on the players before the ball is even kicked:

“I think it’s a mindset.

“I think of Newcastle going forward, being ambitious, winning games. Steve is going into games, not just now but all this season and last season, it’s about not getting beat and that sets a tone in the game.

“You’re playing against Sheffield United yesterday who haven’t won a game. You know they are going to be petrified and they are going to be nervous. We let them get into the game, we let them get a hold of the ball and we let them get some tempo.

“Forget about the red card. Even before that, the tone was set.

“Even when he gets interviewed afterwards, Steve, he’s supposed to be a Geordie from that area. When he wins the game there’s no passion. I remember Sir Bobby Robson and he’d be smiling from ear to ear, and Kevin Keegan as well.

“I used to walk into St James’ Park thinking: ‘how lucky am I to be playing for this football club?’ I don’t see that from the staff, I don’t see it from Steve, and I feel for the players because I think there’s enough quality to be playing a lot better, attractive football and winning games than what we’re doing at the moment.

“This has been a long time coming.

“Nobody looks like they are, even when they win a game, enjoying it, which is such a strange thing to say. I know Steve and I have got a lot of respect for him, he’s a good football guy but I don’t see him enjoying being manager of Newcastle and he is a Geordie so he should be enjoying it more than anybody.

“I look at what Steven Gerrard has done to Glasgow Rangers. He’s gone in there and grabbed that club by the scruff of the neck. He’s got hold of that club and took it forward. Someone needs to do that with Newcastle.

“Whether that is Steve or the ownership, they should enjoy being in that football club. There’s no ambition in the players.

“What is demoralizing for me as an ex-player, captain, spectator, whatever you want to call it, is that it is not enjoyable to watch. I am sure it can’t be fun to play in either.

“There have been glimpses. They got the new signings, they beat West Ham and you thought: ‘Come on then, boys. let’s have a go.’.

“But then it has slowly, slowly, turned back around again. It is negative, it is boring and it drains you because you can’t see a light at the end of the tunnel.”

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 1-0 Defeat At Sheffield?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Rob

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:23 PM

R.e rotanda earlier i 100% agree on lucian favre or thomas tuchel, problem with tuchel is i doubt he would come to newcastle.

I believe Lucian favre is the perfect fit for both the fans and MA.

He plays fast, attacking, exciting football which is great for the fans.
    He is used to the employing club selling his best players and little to no investment in return so suits MA.
    Has mediocre teams punching way above thier weight which is perfect for both the fans and MA.. as long as MA owns the club then that for me would create the perfect balance until a takeover is complete, it would settle the masses and create enjoyable football with a team that tries to entertain and get results.

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:23 PM

An even worse know it all pipes up, saying the same crapbas he did this morning. ‘I told you so’ etc. Dear oh dear, have u anything else in your life that makes you smile Jail, besides lecturing people on here? It’s as well the boozers are closed on tyneside, save some of the locals having to endure your wisdom that Bruce wasn’t exactly an inspired choice. Well done Sherlock.

• Rob

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:30 PM

I dare say, even arsene wenger. I know alot of you will disagree but wenger has mountains of premier league experience and knows how to manage a team. Still out of work since arsenal which is a surprise given his experience.

• Mund

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:30 PM

Damned if I do damned if I don’t

• hibbit

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:31 PM

Adamn as you probably know certain health trusts across the county have a lot to answer for with there lackadaisical approach to the virus and vaccines on the whole the north east is way ahead of other parts of the country with the roll out and availability.

• Mund

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:31 PM

Rob

I don’t disagree I’d have Wenger in a heartbeat

• Great White Hunter

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:32 PM

Tackle #52, sorry it upset you cause I gave my opinion that I would like Winks in my midfield….., I,ll try not to give my opinion on who I,d like as our next manager or who I,d like as the next tea lady……. f***k me.

• Ron Knee

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:32 PM

BBC website:

‘Watching Brighton as a Newcastle fan makes me almost weep. Good football can be played whatever standard of player you have. It’s all in the coaching and attitude.

‘Ken, Newcastle’

• geordietom

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:35 PM

Adam …

i dont live up north mate , cant get my head around the haves and have not’s …

• Adamn_92

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:36 PM

Hibbit

I’m not the most in the know in all fairness, I know every hospital probably hasn’t done as best as it can. I’ve seen staff be lackadaisical here and I’m sure it happens elsewhere. As far as vaccines go though, I have no idea how they’re being rolled out and where/why. I got an email from work saying our online booking system was live, booked it for today and that was that. Like I said to geordietom I can only guess it’s to do with area being classed as vulnerable and a surge of cases in the south east in general.

• Adamn_92

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:36 PM

geordietom

Ah apologies I just assumed going by your name haha no idea why they can’t in whatever area you live

• jane

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:36 PM

“Still out of work since arsenal which is a surprise given his experience.”

he works for FIFA now.

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:37 PM

Rob, Favre? We’ll get that big mcleish

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:39 PM

Nah
    We’ll get Pulis

• Tackle from behind

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:39 PM

Rob

I think Wenger has a job.
    He’s FIFA’s Chief of Global Football Development

Not likely to give up that gig to work under Fatty

• magicmac54

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:39 PM

Jail for Ashley

I take your point about Bobby Charlton being born in Newcastle but never showing any allegiance to being a geordie, he was really into Man Utd i think it became very emotional for Bobby after the munich air disaster and possibly the reason for his allegiance to Manchester and Man Utd, but i honestly think he would have loved to have seen Newcastle do well as his family were from Newcastle. Are you back at work Jail?

• geordietom

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:40 PM

Adam …

yeah my names geordietom , geordie born and bread .

some one put on the other day DerbyTom which i didnt like buy hey ho thats the way on here i suppose …

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:41 PM

Munster,
    What makes your views on the situation so much worse is that you knew it was a shite appointment. Yet you were so eager to poke those gutted that Rafa was gone because they knew what was coming, that you pulled up quotes from players (now on undeserved lucrative contracts) saying how much better Bruce’s man management was, you bigged the footer up at every opportunity, positively gloated up until the point he didn’t actually have a better start. You’ve wound everybody up on here with your constant ‘denigrating’ of our former manager. Now it’s slapped you in the face what an utter clown you’ve been championing you’ve somehow stopped gloating about his qualities.

• lochinvar

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:42 PM

Do we think the Bookies have False odds?

Although Sheffield United (5pts), West Brom (8pts) and Fulham (11pts with 2 games in hand) remain the big three favourites to go down, the bookies now have Newcastle (19pts) and Burnley (16pts with 1 game in hand) as the joint fourth favourites to go down – offering odds of 3/1 after both sides fell to 1-0 defeats last night.

17th-placed Brighton (14pts) are lower than us in the table and in awful form themselves, but they are deemed less likely to go down than Steve Bruce’s NUFC as things stand.

• geordietom

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:44 PM

magicmac …

Actually mate Bobby Charlton aint a geordie he’s a NORTHUMBRIAN born in Ashington which is Northumberland , i know a few lads from that neck of the woods and they are proud to say where they come from , loads from that area support Newcastle mate ///

• jane

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:44 PM

have the odds just change?

• hibbit

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:45 PM

Adamn that wasn’t me having a dig at the staff,
    i was having a go at the highly paid bureaucrats and trust members who have let there staff and patients down, in some areas of the country very badly

• lochinvar

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:46 PM

Geordietom
    Are you a Stottie? (geordie bread)!

Me I’m an incomer who 50 years ago hitched a lift on a coal wagon from Brampton. Think my residency has just been approved.

• geordietom

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:46 PM

Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:39 PM

Nah
    We’ll get Pulis

NNAR we’ll be better off with pulled pork …

• Adamn_92

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:47 PM

Ah fair enough hibbit, I’m definitely with you on that one!

• WLtoon

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:48 PM

magicmac,

Frustrating is an understatement mate, it`s a wonder some posters haven`t put their foot through the tv after last night haha

We will find out soon enough where we stand, we have half a season to run and we will know whether we are in the champo with Ashley and a no hoper as coach, OR in the PL with new owners and maybe a world class manager.
    It`s gonna be a long wait but it`s the hope that keeps us sane magicmac,
    I hope our destiny is the latter obviously

• geordietom

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:48 PM

Loch …

love stotties and the answer is sure am mate 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:49 PM

magicmac,
    Yes SBC’s affiliation with MU was forged by the Munich Air disaster so maybe an unfair comparison.
    Was supposed to go back on Friday but no bed space so not sure when I’ll go back now, hopefully get nine days standby pay as I was available from today.

• geordietom

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:49 PM

LOCH …
    county durham ?

SBR was from county durham …

• geordietom

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:50 PM

loch …

just looked carlisle way mate sorry …

• Ketsbaia9

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:51 PM

We could’ve got Slimani back on a free. Would’ve signed him and got rid of Gayle or Carroll.

• geordietom

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:51 PM

two bramptons 3 if you count the one in canada …

• geordietom

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:53 PM

born and bred , for the blog polis …

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:54 PM

I’d say people from Northumberland are Geordie’s, depends on what article written you want to believe.

• Gothmog's Pyjamas

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:54 PM

Think i read someone ask about the BZG-Derby takeover

John Percy
    @JPercyTelegraph
    On #dcfc ‘takeover’: players still been not paid and understand Derby have sought another loan from MSD. Money in bank now very low and a genuine threat of administration if this is not sorted ASAP.

• Moonraker15

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:56 PM

Geordietom

I had the AAA procedure 4 years ago and no problem since. Glad they’re keeping an eye on it as it can be nasty as you’ll know.
    The surgeon was able to put stents in through the groin which is a much less arduous procedure and the don’t need to open you up!
    Good luck. Old age doesn’t come alone!

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:56 PM

Some articles say you’re a Geordie if from Tyneside but there was no such place forty years ago. There is no footin way SBR wasn’t a Geordie or Jackie Milburn.

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:56 PM

Manure Jail I gave the bloke a chance and anything I said about players working hard for him at the time were true. They were working hard, witnessed by late goals etc. But now you expect me to stick with him because he’s awful. Not happening. If he had come after Pardew you would have been more tolerant but because he wasn’t as good as rafa, you killed him from day 1. I didn’t, and I’ve no issue with that.

• RoyalToon

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:56 PM

We can all see that Bruce needs to go now.

Why can’t the people that can do something about it see it??

• Tackle from behind

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:57 PM

I think the word Geordie was designated to north east miners who used the George Stephenson mining lamp as opposed to the Davy lamp other miners used.