web analytics

Magpie Bemoans Newcastle’s Soft Start Against Chelsea

Newcastle’s listless start against Chelsea did not befit a team just one spot above 18th in the table and heading for a relegation fray. There needed to be a sense of urgency from the opening whistle but Newcastle came out of the gate with an air of complacency.

A struggle against the in-form Blues was likely in the cards no matter what, but the difference in approach for the second half made the first 45 minutes all the more unforgivable.

Jamaal Lascelles returned after missing the last two matches to captain the team last night. Lascelles made an early goal-saving tackle on Tammy Abraham, which after the match Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel labeled as reckless saying:

“He risks too much of an injury of the opponent and, for me, it’s a foul because of that. It’s reckless but it was not to criticize. It was just to discuss with the fourth official.”

So what is Jamaal supposed to do, just let Abraham have an unobstructed shot on goal?

It was good to have the captain back but in the end, it didn’t alter the outcome as some poor defending led to two Chelsea strikes in the first half. That proved to be all they needed despite the improved second half from Newcastle.

Lascelles was interviewed after the game and he was disappointed with the Magpies’ start saying they needed to be nastier. This is what he said as published in The Chronicle.

“I just think we did not start well enough.

“From our goal-kick, we kicked it out for a throw-in and that set the tone.

“We need to realize we shouldn’t need to go one or two down to get going.

“We were off them a bit and made it easy.

“Against a team like Chelsea you have to be nasty and if you don’t do that their quality will come through.”

Newcastle’s next match is on Sunday at Old Trafford. The table could shift dramatically by then with Fulham to play twice prior to kickoff. The following day is also one to watch as Brighton host Crystal Palace.

We once again have to keep our eyes on the teams around us but Newcastle still have their fate in their hands. But it’s going to take consistency and wins for that to remain the case much longer.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In Defeat At Chelsea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:39 PM

“Against a team like Chelsea you have to be nasty and if you don’t do that their quality will come through”

Well why did we not come out like that though Jamal mate? You were a warrior under Rafa barking out orders hardly makes a noise under Bruce

• Shoulders knees

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:40 PM

Our lot Nasty ha ha

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:46 PM

Just a brief comment before I return to my Ashley induced comatose state of apathy.

It has been suggested that Bruce is happy to take us down to preserve his job.

Not necessarily true, if as we are led to believe his remit is “keep us in the PL” – then relegation means he’s failed and will be sacked.

So he’s in the real “rock and a hard place” dilemma, of losing his job if we stay up and takeover happens or losing his job if we go down.

His only hope of survival is if we stay up and takeover collapses. A situation none of us want but have to keep as a possibility.

Nurse, just turn up that morphine drip please, I’ve had enough of this crap now, thank you aaaah! 🙂

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:51 PM

I, I, I have become, comfortably numb! 😉

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:54 PM

Has the blog been closed down and nobody told me or has someone built that bloody wall again?

All in all, it’s just another brick in the wall!

• Tsunki

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:55 PM

Bruce’s hands are actually like two balloons if you look closely.

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:55 PM

14 minutes speaking to myself, it’s like being in lockdown, oh! Shit! 🙂

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:55 PM

Ace Tsunki, loved it.

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:56 PM

His lips move but no one hears what he’s saying.

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:59 PM

Someone’s let all the boys and girls out to play, the blogs deserted, took almost 16 hours for everyone to get all the angst out of their systems. It’ll take me a lot longer to recover from Ashley-14, the latest virus in all our lives.

• Wor B

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:02 PM

Hush Bob

I’m working from home with half an hour left on the clock and you keep disturbing my nap!!! 😉

• Optimistic prime

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:03 PM

This has been coming 18 months.

Ridiculous decision after Ridiculous decision.

I put us down to finish 12th this year, openly said I didn’t think muck of the window.

I should have said I felt we were nailed on for relegation, but I didn’t want to be called negative, moaner etc.

I’ve never had any faith in Bruce, as Bills said, under Rafa I always felt he’d get it right. I’ve watched Bruces teams for 20 years, not week in, week out, enough to know he’s a one trick pony.

I didn’t give him a chance, only chance I or any fan could give him, was a chance for him to prove everyone who said he was shit wrong.

It gives me no pleasure sewing what’s happening now, I’ve steeled myself for it since the start of the season.

If you’ve been watching our performances and keeping a eye on the form of those around us, our situation should come as no surprise.

If we survive, it’ll be luck, not good judgement from the management or owner.

ABC out!

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:03 PM

Would be quite a season if we made to avoid relegation and Liverpool finished sixth 😀

• Tsunki

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:04 PM

Ok the Bard isnt checking in so:

Hello? (Hello? Hello? Hello?)
    Are there any coaches in there?
    Just nod if you can hear me
    Is there anyone home?
    Come on now
    I know we’re going down
    Well I can ease your pain
    Bring in Jonesy for ten games
    Relax
    I’ll need some information first
    Just the basic facts
    Like what does Joelinton do?
    There are no fans you are deceiving
    The championship is on the horizon
    You are only coming through in waves
    Your gloves are off but I can’t tell how you’re playing
    When I was a child I had a better clue
    Than you and those two balloons
    Now you’re playing false tens once again
    I can’t explain you would not understand
    This is not how its done
    I have become comfortably numb

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:04 PM

Horrible that Romford, but no different to what many of us have been saying since Mid December. Ashley the gambler strikes again.

• Carson80

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:07 PM

Don’t have to be nasty that just leads to players getting sent off like Ryan Fraser against Sheff Utd. The right tactics, formation and attitude would be nice.

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:07 PM

Tsunki, that’s a work of pure genius mate, brilliant!!!

• Optimistic prime

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:07 PM

Anyine fancy “parking the bus” in front of the gates to the training ground?

I mean literally, if the coaches can’t get in, they can’t make things any worse.

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:08 PM

WorB sorry, shhhh!

• hibbit

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:10 PM

very true that Rom, very true 😡

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:11 PM

OP, break lockdown rules and organiser gets fined £10k and everyone caught gets £200 fine.

Many couldn’t afford the risk at the moment.

• Wor B

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:12 PM

bob

If you think that was a lull wait till pointless starts!

😀

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:14 PM

Wor B, were they all watching “Loose Women”?

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:14 PM

WLtoon,
    I forgot to answer you earlier. Up or down. I’ve honestly no idea. I said from the very beginning that he’d keep us up last year having inherited a well drilled team but would take us down this year. It was looking at one stage we might avoid it but really don’t know.

• Optimistic prime

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:15 PM

Ashley should have bladdered Bruce in Jan and replaced him.

Instead a half arsed fix bringing in Jones.

GIVE Yedlin away, no cover for Wilson.

Murphys law anyone?

If I knew any better, which I don’t, I’d say Ashley is TRYING to get us relegated.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:15 PM

Another course I’ve been on where Covid measures are non existent.

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:16 PM

Jail, are you being moderated? I’m sure your comment at 14 wasn’t there a few minutes ago.

Mind you I’m going off my head, so anything’s possible.;)

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:16 PM

On even better news. Got my call to go back to work on Thursday. Party is over 🙁

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:17 PM

Is my comment there at 29?

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:18 PM

Jail, should I say congratulations or would you rather I commiserate? 🙂

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:19 PM

Yep, all working now, possibly just a “techie” delay! 🙂

• Tsunki

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:20 PM

Hmm. Moderation paranoia kicking in hmmm. hmmm..

hmmm.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:22 PM

cleveleysbob,
    I think if you’re being modded your comment doesn’t appear for awhile, magnus pie and coming home must have been modded last night because when I read back they were both complaining there posts had been taken down.

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:23 PM

Tsunki, I’m distraught, all our beautifully crafted Pink Floyd stuff and not a single bloody heart, obviously playing to the wrong audience, should try again tonight. 😉

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:24 PM

cleveleysbob,
    You got me worried there after my heinous crime this morning of asking geordietom why he keeps saying he’s here for just a quick visit 😮

• Tsunki

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:24 PM

et part deux…

Okay (okay, okay, okay)
    Lee’s a little fat *****
    There’ll be no more, ca-a-ash
    In the championship
    We won’t be back up
    We’ll soon be playing Working-ton
    That’ll be a pretty dismal show
    Come on it’s time to go
    There goes your job, you are retiring
    Tractor exhaust smoke on the horizon
    You are only coming back as a pundit
    Your lips move but nobody cares what you’re saying
    I’d take your child
    give him a bleeding smack
    Right in the corner of his eye
    We had a club but now its gone
    Just who would buy a season ticket now
    The team is blown
    The dream is gone
    I have become comfortably numb

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:25 PM

Jail, OK, don’t rule out me just not seeing it, most likely scenario. 🙂

• Tsunki

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:25 PM

No more floyd-related poemry promise.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:25 PM

One each from me. I went to see them at Docklands arena in 89.

1 2 3 12