web analytics

American Investor Linked To Newcastle Last Year Talks About His Pursuit Of A European Club

Before the Saudi-backed consortium reached an agreement with Mike Ashley to buy Newcastle United, there was GACP Sports, among a few other potential owners being linked with an interest. GACP is run by American Joseph DaGrosa, who sold his stake in Bordeaux late in 2019.

DaGrosa did meet with Ashley but reportedly came nowhere near the asking price for Newcastle. Both sides eventually moved on with Newcastle getting massively shafted by the Premier League over the Saudi-backed consortium.

DaGrosa recently failed in an attempt to buy out Southampton which has brought his name back in links with revamping a move for Newcastle. There’s been nothing definitive that he’s planning to do that.

All signs indicate that Mike Ashley remains committed to seeing the deal with the Amanda Stavely-led consortium through to its full conclusion before entertaining other offers. That has taken time as legal proceedings so often do.

The Chronicle has found some interesting comments from DaGrosa on his pursuit to buy a European club. Speaking to Off The Pitch, the American said the following about the potential issue with investing in a Premier League club:

“If we wanted to write a cheque for what sellers are looking for right now, we could close a deal today if we wanted to.

“That’s not the issue at all. We pride ourselves on being disciplined investors. We’re not looking for a fire sale price on clubs.

“We thought in the EPL (English Premier League) for instance we’d see a tendency in the second half of the season, certainly start to return to some semblance of normalcy. That hasn’t happened.”

This could become a concern for any other potential suitors for Newcastle United if Mike Ashley fails in his legal case. The Premier League is nowhere near a ‘semblance of normalcy’ with fans likely not allowed into stadiums for at least the remainder of the year. That uncertainty could scare off groups that would otherwise be interested.

This issue is compounded by another point that DaGrosa made. That time is of the essence as new owners prefer to be in place before the summer transfer window opens. Here is what he said about getting deals done before the summer:

“No one wants to be negotiating or closing during the summer trading window.

“So, logic would suggest we would want to get a deal done, and the seller would want to get a deal done, prior to going into the summer trading window because that radically affects the finances of clubs one way or the other.

“For a clean break and a clean start certainly a deal needs to be done before the summer transfer window.

“Hopefully, we will get something across the goal line. But one thing I’ve learned in my going on a 30-year career in private equity is if you get that first decision wrong, you’re stuck for a very long time with hundreds and hundreds of other decisions to make up for that first bad decision.”

These comments would tend to rule out another move for Newcastle if that was even in his thinking. DaGrosa is not going to pay Ashley’s asking price, though he seems to indicate that he has the funds to do so saying the following:

“I would say we’ve got very strong financial support and for the target size of clubs we are looking at we are very comfortable that we have the capital we need to get the acquisitions done and to adequately capitalize them post-closure,”

The uncertainty with Covid and Ashley being tied up in his legal fight against the EPLrepresent barriers for DaGrosa to become the one to take Newcastle off of Ashley’s hands. Hopefully, Ashley can win his legal battle and we can stave off relegation. Dare to dream.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In Defeat At Chelsea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• lesh

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:31 AM

Optimistic prime

No need to worry about Almiron being away in March as Ashley and Bruce have ensured that the squad has sufficielnt strength in depth to cover for any absentees.

Errr, hang on

• WLtoon

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:31 AM

Jail,

You mustn`t of read the earlier posts about a poster having a go at the nightshift.
    What difference does it make what they talk about if most of the bloggers are snoring away.
    As far as being a football blog where nothing but Newcastle Uniteds plight can be talked about then maybe the thousands of posts about anything from covid, politics, holidays, illness, work, the weather and Uncle Tom Cobbly should be blocked before posters get the chance to read them.
    On the last page alone there were at least ten posts non football related.
    If certain posters have a problem with the nightshift then give it a wide birth.

• Moonraker15

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:34 AM

Carson/Hibbitt
    Surely our luck has to change soon!
    14 years!

• Tsunki

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:38 AM

Lesh I realised that it was meant for.me and I will in the spirit of harmony, avoid getting tetchy in reply 🙂

Nighshift is not a target at all. But I object to seeing it being referred to as the gold standard of nufc blogging. My opinion is it is not, it is something entirely different. I don’t object to it, or belittle it, I just think it shouldn’t be pointed to as a place where only the great and good congregate in righteous harmony.

My view is its like that because they avoid discussing the subject at hand and distract themselves with happy things. That’s great and if they like that it’s also great. I know The Wife offers contribution but she has also related nufc subjects as well more in the daytime. Clearly nobody wants to offer her a beating or call her a f###g $#@& for saying something that doesn’t agree or they would get binned. I bet if she came on in another guise and remonstarted with the “right” individuals that would change 🙂

• Moonraker15

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:39 AM

Lascelles seems totally uninterested now. He needs to get them playing as they did in the second half against Chelsea. Can’t rely on Bruce to inspire; I think he knows his days are numbered and this is his last job of any significance. Taking us down would probably sum up his career!

• WLtoon

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:39 AM

Moonraker,

The law of averages says our luck should change soon, but will it .

• Rotonda heights

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:40 AM

I think one of the saddest and most frustrating sights is seeing Lewis take forever to take a throw in. I used to be angry with him but the more I see there is just zero movement for him whatsoever. Sadly that is totally in line with no 1-2’s, triangles, 3rd man running, overlapping, supporting left and right and making runs ahead of the man in possession.

I remember when I was doing my coaching courses thinking that I would learn zilch just going by the FA, so I went and did courses in Dutch, French and Brazilian football as well and was able to build up up a portfolio of drills etc. When I look at the Steves I just see grey FA robots who don’t have an original thought in their heads. I remember watching a warm up v West ham or someone and whereas they had sophisticated pass and move drills, all we were doing was hitting high balls into Carroll. That was our warm up!!!

• Tsunki

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:40 AM

I see that missing the point of the night shift reference is in vogue. This is where the bickering starts. Not reading posts properly, misunderstanding the gist, jumping the gun, getting hot under the collar, realising they got the wrong end of the stick but now too proud to retract, bickering ensues.

• Moonraker15

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:41 AM

WL
    No supporters deserve our luck ( in having this owner)! Then again look at the Mackems!

• Moonraker15

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:42 AM

Tsunki
    Wtf are you arguing about now?

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:42 AM

lesh,
    Target nightshift, dear me.

• Adamn_92

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:42 AM

Do we just write things down and pick one out of a hat to decide what get’s bickered about slightly now? lol

DaGrosa’s name always get mentioned with us, think it’s a case of regurgitating old stories and he knows he can get interviews out of mentioning us. Nothing more to it than that I think. The same media outlets who claim Ashley is only focused on selling us to PIF, are quick to share any inkling of someone else interested in buying us which undermines what they reported on previously.

• Tsunki

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:42 AM

Rotonda I was watching Lewis twitching his arms for what seemed to be ten minutes and I thought he might ironically get a yellow card for time wasting when he desperately needed not to waste time.

• lesh

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:43 AM

Tsunki

Sorry, I must have my extra-thick head on – I can’t see what your driving at @44.

• Tsunki

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:43 AM

Moonraker I dunno do you? I think I started something that hit a nerve 🙂

• lesh

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:46 AM

Tsunki

And @48

• Moonraker15

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:46 AM

Rotunda
    That so annoys me! We give the ball away every throw in. Lewis had the opportunity to take a quick one, get the ball back and retain possession but ha waited so long he didn’t have anyone unmarked.
    Surely they can spend an hour in training just working on keeping possession!

• lesh

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:47 AM

Jail for Ashley

Enjoy work when you get back.

• WLtoon

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:48 AM

Moonraker,

It depends what you mean by bad luck, you hit the nail on the head when you mention the mackems

• Tsunki

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:55 AM

Less, WLToon

If you read back my post is concerning the chalk and cheese nature of the night shift.

I don’t give a jot as Tinman said I’m in bed then. I was pointing out that there is this constant commentary going on that the nightshift is devoid of argument and bickering.

Im saying the reason for that is the participants avoid the controversy of what this blog is about and talk about subjects that soothe and calm, and realistically have nowt to do with nufc Save the CT stuff about takeovers. It’s not because the night shift are populated with better bloggers than the day shift. They don’t have live matches to suffer, the fallout of press interviews until its all been discussed previously during the day, in short they have nothing to add so talk about music etc. Instead. That’s why it’s quiet. Deadly quiet.

The day shift address the issues at hand and yes get into controversies and arguments but that is the blog. The “bickering” you refer to is not a “day shift” thing, it’s the result of the matters being discussed and some can’t do that without melting down. If night shift began appearing during the day I bet they would fit right in in no time 😉

• Just a fan

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:58 AM

Re the night shift.
    I’d rather read them than the constant mocking /calling of Bruce.
    Ok he is not the greatest nor is he our beloved rafa but it’s the same people saying the same stuff
    Over and over often with an explicit to emphasis.
    You want him out. We get it. But it won’t happen on your terms.
    # night shift a bit calmer.

• WLtoon

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:58 AM

There have been plenty of hot exchanges on the nightshift, a lot of the time it has been when posters have been pissed and got quite hot under the collar talking about bollocks, same as the day shift.
    There is no limits of topics posted about on here, music tends to be popular on the nightshift, and why not.
    By the time 10 pm comes around then everything else that can be targeted or argued about has been exhausted.

• Tsunki

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:58 AM

And just to be clear the night shifters themselves are not entirely clean handed at all times are they? For example I don’t get involved in political stuff, as its pointless and against blog rules – but some get really really sparky about it and won’t stop, will they?

😐

• Tsunki

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:59 AM

Wltoon exactly.

• Tsunki

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:00 PM

Just a fan – goodnight then , sleep. tight. 🙂

• Tsunki

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:01 PM

What do.you want to talk about just a fan? Any particular nice topic we can veer onto for you?

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:03 PM

I may well be on the nightshift tomorrow 🙁

• Just a fan

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:03 PM

Moonraker
    I’d did notice for one throw in he did have the chance to take a quick one but just didn’t.
    Don’t know what that tells us.

• Mund

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:04 PM

I wonder if the night shift will talk all night about the day shift?….

• Just a fan

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:05 PM

Tsunki
    Zzzzzzzzzz

• WLtoon

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:08 PM

Tsunki,

I cant see what the problem is with whatever goes on if you are retired for the night.
    There are only a few posters who frequent the nightshift who don`t often post through the day, so it`s the same crew in general posting music on a night as it is arguing about anything else from 8am onwards.

• Just a fan

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:11 PM

Tsunki
    Do you have a pattern for an Aron jumper I seem to have miss placed.

• Jamesthefirst

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:13 PM

A team is always a reflection of its manager.

Our team is lazy, inept, and clueless.

There is a reason for that.

• Just a fan

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:14 PM

Mine

• Not another deJong

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:14 PM

Jail for Ashley @67

I hope you learn your lesson 🙂

• Not another deJong

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:16 PM

The only throw in we make is where the ball is returned to the thrower, who then generally gets closed down if the ball is not already been lost.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:17 PM

Nadj,
    I hope I’m not on nightshift, we’re only away for five days before we have to stay in a hotel, so will be a sickness if they lump us on nights for five days 🙁

• Moonraker15

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:21 PM

Don’t be fooled by Fulham’s performance against Everton. They were woeful and suffering from that cup match with extra time. Same as against us, they made us look like Man City which made us over optimistic. However I believe they will lose to Burnley who are superbly organised by Sean Dyche. If they beat Burnley we are in a real dogfight!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:21 PM

So the nightshift and the dayshift are two different species, really!

Excuse me whilst I go off and have a good chortle! 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Moonraker15

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:25 PM

De Jong
    Yeah but that throw in is ok as long as someone moved and creates a pass for the thrower. If my grandson couldn’t do that better than toon I’d be disappointed!