web analytics

American Investor Linked To Newcastle Last Year Talks About His Pursuit Of A European Club

Before the Saudi-backed consortium reached an agreement with Mike Ashley to buy Newcastle United, there was GACP Sports, among a few other potential owners being linked with an interest. GACP is run by American Joseph DaGrosa, who sold his stake in Bordeaux late in 2019.

DaGrosa did meet with Ashley but reportedly came nowhere near the asking price for Newcastle. Both sides eventually moved on with Newcastle getting massively shafted by the Premier League over the Saudi-backed consortium.

DaGrosa recently failed in an attempt to buy out Southampton which has brought his name back in links with revamping a move for Newcastle. There’s been nothing definitive that he’s planning to do that.

All signs indicate that Mike Ashley remains committed to seeing the deal with the Amanda Stavely-led consortium through to its full conclusion before entertaining other offers. That has taken time as legal proceedings so often do.

The Chronicle has found some interesting comments from DaGrosa on his pursuit to buy a European club. Speaking to Off The Pitch, the American said the following about the potential issue with investing in a Premier League club:

“If we wanted to write a cheque for what sellers are looking for right now, we could close a deal today if we wanted to.

“That’s not the issue at all. We pride ourselves on being disciplined investors. We’re not looking for a fire sale price on clubs.

“We thought in the EPL (English Premier League) for instance we’d see a tendency in the second half of the season, certainly start to return to some semblance of normalcy. That hasn’t happened.”

This could become a concern for any other potential suitors for Newcastle United if Mike Ashley fails in his legal case. The Premier League is nowhere near a ‘semblance of normalcy’ with fans likely not allowed into stadiums for at least the remainder of the year. That uncertainty could scare off groups that would otherwise be interested.

This issue is compounded by another point that DaGrosa made. That time is of the essence as new owners prefer to be in place before the summer transfer window opens. Here is what he said about getting deals done before the summer:

“No one wants to be negotiating or closing during the summer trading window.

“So, logic would suggest we would want to get a deal done, and the seller would want to get a deal done, prior to going into the summer trading window because that radically affects the finances of clubs one way or the other.

“For a clean break and a clean start certainly a deal needs to be done before the summer transfer window.

“Hopefully, we will get something across the goal line. But one thing I’ve learned in my going on a 30-year career in private equity is if you get that first decision wrong, you’re stuck for a very long time with hundreds and hundreds of other decisions to make up for that first bad decision.”

These comments would tend to rule out another move for Newcastle if that was even in his thinking. DaGrosa is not going to pay Ashley’s asking price, though he seems to indicate that he has the funds to do so saying the following:

“I would say we’ve got very strong financial support and for the target size of clubs we are looking at we are very comfortable that we have the capital we need to get the acquisitions done and to adequately capitalize them post-closure,”

The uncertainty with Covid and Ashley being tied up in his legal fight against the EPLrepresent barriers for DaGrosa to become the one to take Newcastle off of Ashley’s hands. Hopefully, Ashley can win his legal battle and we can stave off relegation. Dare to dream.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In Defeat At Chelsea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Tsunki

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:27 PM

Lesh – yes you got that the wrong way so all well.

Online – stirring the pot again vigorously trying to stir up a negative narrative. Let it go and stop fiddling about with your mischief. Thanks Peace. Enjoy etc.

• jane

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:27 PM

“Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic is self-isolating”

• Carson80

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:27 PM

Hibbit it isn’t his fault you are spot on there. It just frustrates you when you watch him play, he does nowt I think he is actually worse than Shelvey.

• cyprus

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:28 PM

If there were fans, the loudest cheer would come from a successful throw in. Yeah! 🙂

I’d bring all nine players there, have us a right old battle for the ball 🙂

• Online Guy

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:28 PM

Jail

Was it you who posted something about a pizza and an 80/10/10/ cut image?

if so where is it ?

twitter ? send me a link. Ta.

• Tsunki

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:29 PM

I was right about one thing though- while “at peace” on the night shift, the same personnel can quickly spark up a bonfire on the day shift at will. )

• TheTinman

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:29 PM

Maja only scored 9 goals in 45 games for Bordeaux. I don’t see him as a massive threat to our survival hopes personally. Yes he’s got off to a good start but his goals were both tap ins, the 2nd one in particular was lucky (1st one decent movement in the box).

• lochinvar

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:30 PM

Tinman
    All games on TV?
    Presumably at £10 a time on the usual suspects of BT and Sky.

Its bad enough watching from behind the sofa, but paying for it as well!

• Carson80

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:30 PM

Mund hope the pubs are open when it all goes through, else the shops are going to make some profit on alcohol. Could be the plan by Boris though to get the economy going again. By the way not suggesting that all fans are alcoholic.

• Online Guy

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:32 PM

no Tsunki..just replying to on going crap.

its ok.

I dont hold grudges ..maybe I should but I aint got that trait in me.

You have been decent.

• hibbit

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:32 PM

Carson80 totally agree mate , it drives me mad how poor he is ,

• DrGloom

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:35 PM

I think Fulham will find Burnley a much tougher proposition than Everton at the weekend who were basically not at the races.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:35 PM

Maja
    Tap ins right place right time
    Comes natural to goalscorer as seem to have the knack where to go
    ‘Fox in the box’
    We ain’t got a ‘Fox on the box’
    Nearest player – Gayle
    Throw-ins never moved to help throw inner
    Can be a disadvantage as you only have 9 on pitch – been mooted rule change that players can kick it in!!

• Optimistic prime

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:37 PM

OLG

No I don’t see it as a joke, I see it as what it was, your attempt to stir.

Ed, Neil or The Wife are the authority on the blog not you.

Your pal, has continued to goad, poke and insult a fair few posters, since The Wife’s warning and your free pass, yet not one word from you!

Your comments weren’t needed, nor were they welcome.

I’ve read and posted for years, you tip up every now and again, pass judgement on certain posters, talk fishing or guitars and leave.

If you wanted peace, you’d have kept your nose OUT

Ps. The nightshift, you included have ignored Munsters posts, between the hours of 2300 and 0200 for years!

The nasty bitter comments he leaves every other night aimed at posters he and you dislike, then he claims innocence the next morning.

Then you come on pointing the finger at Hibbit etc.

Go look, pick any week over the last 5 years and look between those hours, he might miss a day here and there, but not often!

Pps. If you’d kept your self righteous, stirring nose out, this would have quietened down days ago!

• Carson80

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:38 PM

Adamn agree with you on the two Championship seasons I also preferred the first one, think it was the togetherness of the team and Hughton was a very humble and quality manager that season.

• Optimistic prime

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:39 PM

O, before anyone says GANG

I’d be surprised if anyone says, good post, well said, or pat me on the back, like you others do.

You know, the one who’s ignored his own moderation and warning, to gloat about another’s, with THE REAL GANG

• Online Guy

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:40 PM

Thats does not read right Tsunki

When one sees the nightshift being spoke of in the negative one will defend that peaceful place to be ..it only becomes a contentious issue when someone knocks a good thing, so its going to be discussed if any comments are at odds with what it really is..a friendly place.

Best if its left in peace.

And if you go on making comments about friendly people on the nightshift having a different tack during the day then it only arises because said people will take umbrage on any negative comments pertaining to that good place to be.

All the best.

• cleveleysbob

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:40 PM

Hibbit, thanks re Puma, I thought that was one of his, I stand corrected. 😉

• Online Guy

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:51 PM

Op

I know you have an ongoing feud with Munster But that does not mean I have a problem with you ..In fact I respect what you have done in Life ..you are an ex Soldier and I respect that..your a Decent person..

I have never took sides between you and Munster but can remain friendly with both of you.

Now I know its not like you feel your talking to a real person here as I do you and afford you that respect here ..so have a think.

I will ignore any bad words from you as we are all going through a frustrating time and your life at present and things in general will be getting you down ..we all have problems day to day ..try and find the decent things in your day and embrace that and not focus on the negative and anger.

my words to Munster were in jest and between him and I. not sent in any serious way, if it effected you more than I think then it wasn’t sent to you in any way but shucks if it bothered you ..thats life..rough .

I wish you all the best ..really.

• magicmac54

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:52 PM

Munster Mag

Good evening Munster, in reference to my post earlier today about Sean Dyche and the wonderful job he does at Burnley, just to be clear i wasn`t in anyway saying he should be Newcastle manager, but i understand the point you were making when you were saying some Newcastle fans might not be impressed if he was made Newcastle manager, if there was a takeover i doubt Newcastle would be interested in Sean Dyche, but if there was no takeover iam sure most fans would take Sean Dyche all day long instead of that clown we have at the moment.

1 5 6 7