web analytics

Loan Update – Magpie Keeps Another Clean Sheet And Declares Future Ambition

One aspect of Newcastle United that seems to be in very good hands, quite literally, is the position of goalkeeper. That wasn’t necessarily the case at the start of the season.

When Newcastle’s Player of the Season Martin Dubravka went down with a serious heel injury, the number one gloves were handed off to backup Karl Darlow to keep warm until his return. The hope was Darlow could do enough to keep Newcastle afloat until Martin was available.

While Newcastle did flounder, quickly dropping down the table after a massive win at West Ham to start the campaign, it was Darlow’s performances that helped keep Newcastle close to mid-table.

Darlow earned a new long-term contract and has continued to stay as the number one despite Martin’s return a few months ago. If that will continue, remains to be seen but Darlow has at least proven he is a very capable Premier League goalkeeper this season.

His performances may not even be the most eye-catching in the ranks. Freddie Woodman also signed a new contract, over the summer, before being shipped back on loan to Swansea for a second straight season. The 23-year-old has been nothing short of sensational.

Woodman has made 31 starts for Swansea in all competitions, conceding just 20 goals while keeping 17 clean sheets, including yesterday’s 1-0 win over Nottingham Forest. The three points keep Swansea just below the automatic promotion places in third with two games in hand on all the clubs around them.

It’s been another season in which Freddie’s has made tremendous progress as a player. He’s getting valuable experience with Swansea and seemingly loving every minute of it.

Woodman is the focus of an article from The Athletic in which he talks about his career to date. His discontent from the 2018-19 season when he wasn’t allowed to go out on loan has been well-documented.

He did get some starts in the FA Cup which limited Karl Darlow to a lone appearance in the league cup that season. But he needed first-team experience which he’s now getting loads of in the Championship. This is what Freddie had to say about his development while at Swansea:

“The main reason for me coming back was because of how much I developed as a player and as a person. That’s what the club do brilliantly.

“I’ve been on a lot of loans: some good, some not so good. The attention to detail and the emphasis on development here is incredible. It’s what I’m all about.”

It seems to have paid off big time letting Woodman go out on loan. He’s become one of the top goalkeepers in the Championship and should be ready to test his mettle in the Premier League soon.

That likely won’t be with Newcastle, at least not next season, with both Dubravka and Darlow at the club. However, Woodman seems willing to wait for his chance. He admitted his goal long-term is to be Newcastle’s number one.

“One day I want to be. That’s why I’ve signed long-term at Newcastle. Wherever I go to or whatever I do, I want to know, ‘This is the best of me, I can’t give any more’.

“I’d love that to be as Newcastle’s No 1 but that moment certainly isn’t now. My ambition right now is to continue proving I deserve to be Swansea’s No 1.”

The article also said Freddie’s father Andy, who was a goalkeeping coach at Newcastle, often says his son is obsessed with making it on Tyneside. His determination may well pay off in the future, and if he progresses like over the past two years, we may have a future star on our hands.

How Will Newcastle Do At Manchester United On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Mund

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:19 PM

Carson

Spot on mate 🙂

I don’t think I hate anyone in the world not even Ashley anymore, I did but Ive chosen to see life for what it is and always try and see it from a different perspective than my own. Sometimes we can be blind with anger I understand that but it’s always good to see things in hindsight and maybe reflect on the way we felt.

• RToon

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:20 PM

We are never going to get any sort of result against Man U in our next game.

Would like Bruce to bring Fraser or Anderson in and drop Shelvey.

…………………Hayden
    …………Willock……..Almiron
    Fraser/Anderson…………………ASM
    ………………….Gayle

• hibbit

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:22 PM

if the ground was open Bruce would be long gone,
    he would have felt the hate of 50000 Geordies , there would be masking it because that’s what it would be

• magicmac54

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:25 PM

Adam

Jesus your on fire today Adam, every post is brilliant of the richter scale, ill sit back and give my fingers a rest and just read your posts which are much better he he he

• Munster Mag

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:26 PM

Mund did I see something yesterday about 3pm today? Anything afoot, presume not?

• Adamn_92

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:28 PM

Thanks magic haha I think i’m just feeling extra annoyed about the state of the club today and needed to vent a little! I got offered the chance to write for a Newcastle blog last year, but it wasn’t a popular one and the pay was ‘in exposure’ so I gave it a miss. Sent an e-mail to them with an example of a piece i’d write which was on the takeover, didn’t expect to hear back haha Often think it’s something i’d like to do though part-time and wonder if I should have taken it anyway.

• Northumbrian

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:28 PM

At the latest shareholders meeting this week the subject of the ESL was discussed and this is what the prems suggestions was,
    That the top six each season would represent the UK in that competition and wildcards would be issued to teams who didn’t qualify that season based on their history in uefa league and champions league. Therefore almost guaranteeing whoever out of the so called top six would still qualify.
    Needless to say it was voted down.

• Carson80

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:29 PM

Totally agree Mund, thanks for your input. Good to see two opposing sides to the debate.
    Hibbit also agree with what you say regarding if we were in the ground, like me and Mund you want him out of club but I haven’t read a post where you have verbally abused him.

• Mund

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:32 PM

Magic

Sorry mate I couldn’t think of doing anything worse 🙂 I started skipping once he showed his true colours.

I’m good mate how’s you? Nice day today the sun is out 🙂

• martoon

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:36 PM

Mund – this is a bit belated but good to see you back on the blog – just don’t let the blog wind-up merchants get to you. I agree with you I don’t think Bruce is fit to be manager either but I don’t hate him and think the name calling is childish.
    I don’t blame him for taking the job because if I’d have been offered it then I would have taken it as well and been just as cr*p at it. 😀

• Not another deJong

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:37 PM

The formation we have been playing in the past few games where our performances have improved is a narrow 41212 diamond, which has the benefit of concentrating our efforts in controlling the central channel. However the narrowness of the formation can also be a weakness and requires a particlar approach when faced with width. Neville suggested that the whole of the defense needs to move over as a whole to shut down the channel. During the Chelsea match nufc tried to combat the width by positioning Hayden(right) and Shelvey(left) to cover the winger/fullback. Unfortunately this was not succesful as it left the middle exposed and the defensive midfielders were niether here or there and eventually morphed into a 4231 with the substitutes.

The tweek required to the Diamond formation on Monday, should have been to go to a flat central midfield in a 4312, or even drop ASM back slightly and Use Gayle in his natural position in the opponents box. With Shelveys’ lack of movement he would been more comfortable in the middle with Hayden & Willock playing either side and providing defensive stability out to the sidelines. This then also exploits Almiron infront of Shelvey providing the movement and pressure in the centre.

Bruce will no doubt make wholesale changes to the way we play in the next match in resonse to the criticism recieved, when actually the newly succesfull formation needs time to really be bedded in against different opposition. The system can continue to work if adapted appropriately by a capable coach.

• Adamn_92

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:40 PM

Martoon,

I agree with you that name calling is childish, i’ll admit i’ve been guilty of that though. I certainly don’t agree with the death threats and vile abuse Bruce receives as nobody should have to be on the end of that. I will vent my feelings towards him to others though and not directly to him, I think it’s ok to not like or hate someone without needing to vent it directly at that individual 🙂 Honestly if you took the job I think you’d have done better than Bruce haha

• DrGloom

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:40 PM

NADJ – Agreed , I and many others mentioned it during the first half – they were getting way too much joy out wide and Lewis and Krafth were often isolated against two chelsea players – it was obvious we needed to change formation to counter it… even andy townsend mentioned it for gawds sake, Bruce however waited and waited until half time when its more likely the players told him it wasn’t working

• Mund

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:41 PM

Martoon

Thanks mate appreciate it 🙂

I don’t blame him either and I don’t want him here but for me I can’t lead with hate or that’s a bitter dark world to enter and I’ve been there done that and it’s not for me.

• Adamn_92

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:43 PM

Carson

If that’s true I guess it’ll come down to Ashleys willingness to get out of the club. That’s if we go down too of course. Still take with a pinch of salt as it’s still a journalists take, but I think Caulkin is probably the most credible one out there of the bunch. Wonder what the price would be for both parties to reach an agreement?

• magicmac54

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:45 PM

Adam in all honesty i think you should have taken that job writing for that Newcastle blog, as you have a tremendous way of writing and expressing yourself in a professional way, if the opportunity arises in the future go for it Adam, iam sure you will make a success of it Adam

• Adamn_92

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:47 PM

Last input on it, but just thought i’d add that it’s absolutely fine and understandable if you don’t hate Bruce because that’s not the type of person you are or think hate is too strong. But it’s ok to not hate him but also feel he doesn’t deserve sympathy for what he’s doing to the club.

Magic, yeah if I ever get an opportunity to again I think i’ll give it a punt. I’ll hire you as a positivity guru so you can calm me down if I get too worked up and need to tone down what i’m writing haha thanks for the kind words as always and hope you’re keeping well and safe

• Mund

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:53 PM

Sorry Munster didn’t see your post

No mate nothing that I’ve seen

• Carson80

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:55 PM

Adamn in Ashley’s eyes I think he already believes he is gone. If you look back at other seasons where we have flirted with the trapdoor he has invested eg the French Resistance under Pardue Shelvey, Townsend and Diuombia under Mclaren, Slimani, Dubs and Kennedy under Rafa, Bentaleb, Lazaro and Rose under Bruce. Just Willock this time and Graeme Jones = we’re not bothered about relegation cos the Saudi’s still want us. There must be a written agreement in place in my eyes for the club to be running with this mentality.

• magicmac54

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:56 PM

Mund

Some brilliant posts by all the lads today Mund, i guess there is no harm in all the fans letting of some steam about Ashley or Bruce, we have all come through a very difficult 12 months when you factor in the stalled takeover, covid 19, people on lockdowns and out of work, its been crazy times mate, its very very understandable for the fans to let of steam, as long as the fans are not turning against each other its acceptable mate

• hibbit

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:57 PM

Carson make no mistake Steve Bruce has betrayed his geordie roots his heritage and pored scorn on the geordie nation,
    there will be thousands that do hate him with a passion who are unable to vent it so it will continue to grow ,
    if the ground is open next season and he is still here god help him

• Munster Mag

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:58 PM

Cheers Mund.

Re Bruce I know of two guys over here who have met him and said he was one if the soundest guys you could meet. He’s just too defensive and not a good coach. Martin o Neill was similar, let someone else do the coaching. Mind you I shud t knock him. He could be next man in after Bruce if Ashley ever sacked him!

• Adamn_92

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:03 PM

Carson

Yeah the fact we didn’t really spend in January did make me think similar, wasn’t sure if it was because he knew he’s going or just that he no longer cares in the slightest though. I think he is wanting to leave after this season regardless, but being a businessman he won’t do a deal which makes him feel like a mug. I’m sure there’s a magic number they could agree on, be interesting to know what that number would be.

Hibbitt

He wouldn’t receive half the stick he does if he wasn’t constantly belittling and insulting us fans as well as the players/club. If he was saying the right things, talking like a true fan but the football was bad, he’d have more sympathy.

• Mund

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:03 PM

Magic

Ofc mate fans deserve to let off steam and anybody can choose to lead there life how they choose to. It’s just the way I live my life I try to keep hate and negativity out, that’s just me tho.

• Not another deJong

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:05 PM

“He comes from Spain and he’s effing class. In fact, he’s better than Fàbregas: it’s Merino, la, la, la, Merino.”

• hibbit

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:08 PM

Adamn totally agree,

• magicmac54

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:09 PM

Munster Mag

God Forbid we would get Martin O` Neill into replace Bruce if he was sacked Munster, from the frying pan straight into the fire he he he he, but i got your point, and its just the crazy sort of thing Ashley would do mate lol

• Munster Mag

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:10 PM

De Jong merino was wonderful. A real rolls Royce engine and a huge loss to us.

• Adamn_92

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:14 PM

Merino was such a talent, still hate the fact we couldn’t hold onto him. Type of player we could really a build a team around, was physical enough to excel here. Happy to see him go on to have a good career though and nice to hear his positive words about the fans during his time here.

• Munster Mag

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:15 PM

Magic, come now, Martin o Neill and Roy Keane, a deadly duo! O Neill used to support Sunderland, Keane managed them. Maybe that nutcase psycho they have in midfield on a dream coaching ticket! 🙂

What’s his name again? Goes around fouling all day? Any takers?

• Carson80

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:20 PM

Adamn I said yesterday in my opinion the Reuben Brothers and Amanda are already part owners of our club, the arbitration was to allow the PIF to become majority owners. If you look back to last year a £17 million fee was paid which is 5% of what Ashley agreed to sell for £340 million , then in August it was reported it had dropped to £305 million. I think Reuben, Staveley gave the £35 million to spend on Wilson, Lewis and Fraser and it was knocked off the price. Could be totally wrong by the way but heyho no harm in thinking optimistically.

• magicmac54

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:21 PM

Mund

Just to be clear Mund when the fans on here say they hate Ashley or Bruce i would put my life on it that not one fan wishes any real harm to Ashley or Bruce, or their familys, its just a figure of speech mate, but we all hate what they are doing to our club, we hate the lies, we hate the deception, we hate being disrespected we hate the zero ambition.

• Adamn_92

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:22 PM

Carson

I think that’s optimistic thinking but could be true, who knows? I feel like there’d be some sort of documentation to show that though which some fan would have dug up somewhere, we know what twitter fans are like haha Begs the question of how much influence they have if they are already on board, as I like to think they wouldn’t have allowed Bruce to remain manager as long as he has done.

• Mund

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:22 PM

Carson

The price went up after the period of exclusivity.

The original price was 304M and after that period ended Ashley raised it to 340M which the consortium agreed to straight away.

• Adamn_92

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:23 PM

Absolutely spot on Magic, when I say hate I don’t mean I wish anything bad on that person or any wrongdoing. It’s an emotion which is perfectly natural and healthy to feel 🙂

• Carson80

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:25 PM

Thanks hadn’t realised that, there goes my theory then lol.

• Carson80

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:27 PM

Mund could it still mean the same thing, except Ashley has said he will bankroll the transfers then they pay him back. Just that £35 million figure keeps nagging at me.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:28 PM

Nightshift for the next five days 🙁

• Mund

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:28 PM

Magic

I don’t know you know mate, I think some would actually mean it it they are a minority.

I’ve been around long enough and been through some that I know feeling hatred or negative is not healthy for anyone. Having hate and being angry turns you into a bitter and twisted person later in life and I’ve seen enough to know that’s not who I want to be. This is just me and my experience tho but I do believe we should all try to live a positive outlook in life. It makes it a better place.