web analytics

Magpie Wants To See Benchmark Performances Kept On Sunday

Jamaal Lascelles made his return to the Newcastle team on Monday in our 2-0 defeat at Chelsea. The skipper had missed the previous two match after suffering a hamstring injury during our big win at Everton.

After the defeat, Lascelles was critical of the passive approach that aided Chelsea in their dominant first half leaving Newcastle down two goals at the break. The Magpies came out and put in an improved performance in the second half but ultimately, it was a comfortable win for the Blues.

Speaking to NUFC TV after today’s training session, Lascelles was asked about his remarks and what Newcastle have been concentrating on over the past few days of training. This was his answer:

“The way we started the game really. Probably a little bit too passive and we maybe showed them a little too much respect.

“Against a team with quality like that, the least we need to be doing is getting up against them and making life hard for them. We need to look at ourselves and ask ourselves ‘why didn’t that happen?’

“In the dressing room at halftime, things were said. I think we came out in the second half as a better team. It was a much better performance in the last forty-five minutes.”

The captain was then probed about Sunday’s opponents Manchester United and whether the lads will take the second half approach to Old Trafford:

“Definitely, against a team like Man United, it’s a given, that you have to get up against them in the face.

“It’s just a question of why didn’t that happen in the first half of the Chelsea game.”

The performance against Chelsea was a letdown compared to recent results, especially the high watermark of the season – the 2-0 win at Everton. However, the dip in performance wasn’t crater-like as has often been the case during this campaign.

Manchester United, like Chelsea, will need to be pressed from the opening whistle to, as Lascelles said, make life hard for them. Newcastle have a couple of 1-0 wins at home against the Red Devils in the previous two seasons.

However, we are on a string of two straight 4-1 defeats, including this past October when Man United went on a goal blitz in the final few minutes. So the Magpies will be well aware of how lethal Man United can be in front of goal.

When asked about what Newcastle need to do to turn things around on Sunday and get a result at Old Trafford, Lascelles referenced the recent run of good form and how that standard needs to be kept this weekend:

“I think recently the football and the way we’ve gone about everything has been much more encouraging and better.

“We’ve set the benchmark in a few games, and we have to keep it there.”

How Will Newcastle Do At Manchester United On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• cleveleysbob

Feb 18, 2021 at 3:58 PM

I’ve just been upstaged by that “Athletic” extract! Well done Wor B, they say it all much better than me. 🙂

• Mund

Feb 18, 2021 at 3:59 PM

Carson

That is weird mate as I do the same and have no problem. I’m using my phone if that makes a difference

• cleveleysbob

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:03 PM

I loved that bit about walking into the stadium area and “feeling the electricity”, brings a tear to my eye, it’s what we’ve all known about our club for ever, we just needed someone with deep pockets to come in and feel the same. God I wish it was announced tomorrow!!!

• Carson80

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:03 PM

Cheers Wor B.
    Jail did like the way Rafa used to tuck his specs in his top pocket at the end of a game. Especially that Wolves game when Wily Boly fouled Dubravka to get their equaliser and he went over to the referee to have a go, made me laugh.

• Carson80

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:05 PM

Mund same here, don’t know if I’ve been moderated slightly for saying ar#£d.

• Wor B

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:06 PM

The article #35 is the one Carson was trying to post methinks.

By wor Dr Ed 2.8.2020

Carson, next time try copying the text in sections between the pictures for it to work 😉

• Carson80

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:06 PM

Cleverslybob here here.

• hibbit

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:06 PM

Bob i truly believe we’ll wake up one morning and it’ll be done, and i’ll be more than happy that Amanda is one of the owners,

• Carson80

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:08 PM

Thanks for the advice Wor B, did a couple of links yesterday and earlier OK so didn’t know what had happened.

• Mund

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:13 PM

Scumderland’s new chairman is 23 years of age wtf!!

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:14 PM

Carson80,
    I was at that game on the Monday night, can’t remember that bit 😮

• cleveleysbob

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:16 PM

I hope I’m not repeating something here (apologies if already covered) but George Caulkin’s view is that the consortium (including PIF) still want to buy us if relegated although they will expect to renegotiate the price.

That, on the surface sounds nice and positive, but the problem is as always Ashley – will he be prepared to drop his asking price? He should, as it will be his own fault if we go down as it was easily avoidable, but will his overblown ego let him?

Answers on the back of a £5 note please, I’m feeling the pinch 😉

• toon22

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:18 PM

How many times have the Mackems been sold while the turds pretend to sell us ?

• Mund

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:19 PM

Bob

I think with the extra deals in place with a door into Saudi is more profitable to Ashley than 340M in the back pocket, so there is every chance it could still be struck and you never know it might already of been spoken about and I wouldn’t be surprised if it has with current circumstances.

• Carson80

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:19 PM

Jail yeah he wasn’t even interested in shaking players hands, real red in the face walked over to the ref and said something, thought that was the one he got the fine for because he said something about the ref in the post match interview.

• Wor B

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:23 PM

bob

OP mentioned it earlier, sorry can’t send a fiver but if you send me your account details I’ll sort a bank transfer. Oh, and don’t forget to include the 3 digit security code. 😉

• Optimistic prime

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:24 PM

Mund..

I see what’s at stake for the region, it really could change 10s of thousands of peoples lifes, through work and other opportunities.

I’m all for the region growing and getting stringer, even them down the road, I’d rather play them than a London club.

• toon22

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:24 PM

You can bet the sale lie will trundle on
    All the way up till a few weeks after the transfer window closes
    Only to start again the following January

Just like the last decade

• SuperShearer

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:24 PM

It’s like Groundhog Day on here.

I like Caulkin but has he got a shred of evidence:

A) The PIF still want to buy the club?
    B) That if we were relegated they wouldn’t move on to another target?

Here’s something to really bother you….

I’ve long suspected that their ‘Takevoer’ of our great club might have been a fishing trip, a dipping of the toe in the water. When it went south, as it has done, I wonder if they’re happy for MA to go through his legal proceedings just to go and buy say a different club who haven’t just been relegated.

I know, doom and gloom – sorry, just so tired of hearing about a takeover that we have been told is in fact OVER – they walked.

• Carson80

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:31 PM

Ever get the feeling you’re banging your head against a brick wall.

• Optimistic prime

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:34 PM

Hibbit

I hope its one morning soon, news of Bruces departure, in a side note, same day.

• Optimistic prime

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:35 PM

Never say, never again.

• Mund

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:36 PM

OP

It would be amazing wouldn’t it! Not just for the club and the fans but what it will bring to the surrounding region and like you say will changes 10s of thousands of life’s. The change would be astronomical over time and let’s be fair it’s been needed for decades but the government don’t give a crap about us up in the north.

Hallelujah someone sees the potential of growth and I know I’m being a bit biased here but the northern people IMO are the salt of the earth as we are the type of people to step out and help others in times of need and lead with politeness and respect, go down south it’s a different world completely.

Sorry to any Southern fans no offence intended

• cleveleysbob

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:42 PM

Supershearer, you have every right to your opinion and I respect that, however, without boring the entire blog with all the “known” elements of the story, you are fundamentally wrong on this occasion.

• Optimistic prime

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:42 PM

Mund

Lol, I’ve seen it all along, that’s why I’m scared to invest, it means more than most realise.

Being in the building game, you hear all about potential projects. So I know what’s involved, not only directly but indirectly, I’m not exaggerating about the amount of people this could benefit, if anything, playing it down.

I agree, we’re forgotten up here, be great to stick our middle finger up to those down south, who’ve screwed us over for decades.

• Mund

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:48 PM

OP

I know I come across more invested in this than the average fan but I’ve never dreamed of the possibilities beyond an announcement, I just won’t let my mind go there, I can’t as it would kill me if it… I can’t ever bring myself to say the worse case scenario as I’m just projecting positive thoughts about it and I know it means nothing and will have no effect as I’m not Mystic Meg 😉 but it makes me feel in a better place in my mind with it all.

So I’ve never thought about another day of a new era other than the announcement and I know when that day comes I’ll cry my eyes out as I’ve got so much pent up emotion wanting to escape that it will most certainly be an emotional day.

• SuperShearer

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:50 PM

@cleveleysbob – would LOVE to be proven wrong…. but can you in fact do that? To say I’m fundamentally wrong implies there is strong evidence to the contrary. I’m yet to see any evidence – just journalists trying to keep the news cycle going for as long as possible.

I’ve long said I don’t see this takeover happening but IF it does I will be the first to hold up my hand and say “i was wrong, and I’m over the fudging moon to be wrong on this occasion”.

• Carson80

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:01 PM

The only way is up baby for NUFC fans.

• hibbit

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:06 PM

Carson80
    are you sure about that with steve bruce in charge 😆

• Carson80

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:06 PM

Ha remember that L’Oréal advert with David Ginola “Its L’Oréal and I’m worth it”. Couldn’t imagine Malcolm Allen being asked to do it.

• Carson80

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:09 PM

Nah not at all Hibbit lol. Gotta look on the bright side though haven’t you. Could be worse Lee Charney could be manager.

• Carson80

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:18 PM

£176 million Euro millions on Friday, should we do a syndicate. Hopefully win and help buy Ashley out.

• hibbit

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:20 PM

Carson tongue in cheek post mate, as the smilie suggests

• Rotonda heights

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:22 PM

Bruce ”we have to accept we are where we are”

Have you ever heard more inspiring words !!!!!

Imagine KK, SBR or Rafa coming out with a line like that.

Other gems like ”they’re friggin useless and sh–te”

” Chelsea have much better players than us”

• Optimistic prime

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:24 PM

Mund

Theres loads of pent up emotions.

When it’s announced, there’ll be a sigh or relief, across Tyneside that lasts about 90 mins, then the celebrations would start.

Just knowing he’s gone and someone else will do what’s best for the club, is good enough for me, everything else is just Gravy, and Northern boys luv Gravy.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:24 PM

Cheer up super Shearer, it may never happen.

Oh sorry, that’s your point !!

• Mund

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:27 PM

OP

Same with me I honestly just can’t wait to not have this weight on our shoulders! The worry and negative vibe that rides with us daily. It’s been horrendous as you and every other will know.

Not having that cloud over us anymore is enough for me too. I’ll sit back relax and enjoy the ride of a blank canvas filled with hope and dreams.

• Carson80

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:27 PM

I know Hibbit can’t get used to this emoji carry on. You have a load of emoji’s when you select one it comes out as some random punctuation mark.

• SuperShearer

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:28 PM

@Rotonda heights – well played sir… what might happen is we get relegated – that’s what’s really worrying me. I’d like to think we’ve got the players to get us out of it…. but we definitely DON’T have the manager.

• hibbit