web analytics

Pundit Declares Survival Race Is Down To Four Teams In His Latest NUFC Prediction

BBC pundit Mark Lawrenson has given his Premier League predictions for this weekend’s matches. He has Newcastle losing to Manchester United by a score of 2-0 at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Here is some of his reasoning behind this prediction:

Newcastle are the team that everyone in the bottom three thinks they can catch – realistically they are the only other team who could still be dragged into the relegation places.

The Magpies are not playing well, and that gives the sides below them hope that if they keep going they can catch them.

I don’t see anything happening at Old Trafford to change that.

Manchester United have had a few problems at home in breaking down teams who go there just to defend but I think Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side will find a way through.

At the other end, I’m not convinced by Harry Maguire or Victor Lindelof as being a center-half pairing good enough to win the title – Maguire lacks a turn of pace while Lindelof is decent but not strong enough.

You know you can get at them but, without the injured Callum Wilson, the Magpies won’t carry much of a threat.

Yikes, that is a brutal assessment from Lawrenson that the battle to avoid the drop is down to a four-team race, with Newcastle being the only one the bottom three can realistically catch.

I’m not sure I fully agree with that but it’s nonetheless a sobering declaration from someone who has backed Steve Bruce at times this season. He’s also not bought into the notion that Newcastle have played well recently, despite our improved performances against Everton and Southampton.

Lawro’s belief that Newcastle don’t carry much of a threat without Callum Wilson was borne out at Chelsea earlier this week. While the opposition was better, the Magpies were a shell of their recent selves without Wilson at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea cruised to a 2-0 win with Newcastle increasing their levels in the second half after a tepid start to the match. Lawrenson is predicting the same scoreline despite calling into question the quality of Manchester United’s center-back partnership.

Manchester United were held in check at West Brom over the weekend and only managed a 1-1 draw. They are taking on Real Sociedad in the Europa League and are righting the ship up 2-0 at the time of writing. But it is a quick turnaround for them to Sunday.

Hopefully, Newcastle will come out out of the gate with much more intent than at Chelsea. The lads need to put in a performance and keep it tight at the back to have any chance on Sunday.

By the time kick-off comes around, Lawrenson’s proclamation that it is a four-team race for survival could look prescient depending on how some of the teams around us perform on Saturday, though Brighton and Crystal Palace don’t play until Monday.

How Will Newcastle Do At Manchester United On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• toon22

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:46 PM

magicmac54

Im not being anything other than realistic
    The turds had umpteen times to sell us
    Hasnt
    The lockdowns been ending since almost a year ago
    Wasnt it a few weeks to flatten the curve ?
    A year ago

Fact is they wont just let the whole thing go, they will stagger teirs
    There wil be variants that need adressing
    They wont let the year of pain just go as it would be irrisponsible
    There will be some kind of control intil atleast chrimbo

• toon22

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:48 PM

To be fair
    Its seems to have cost the UK near half a trillion, so far
    Probably best to make sure before it ends isnt it

• toon22

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:50 PM

Id be happy to be wrong enough to show my arse in Fenwicks window
    Lets see

• Wor B

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:52 PM

Hope we’re shopping in the MetroCentre that weekend.

No offence 22

😀

• magicmac54

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:58 PM

Toon22

Jesus i hope your wrong about the restrictions and these lockdowns 22, originally we were told we could start back on the 5th of february, then they extended it until the 5th of March, then tonight its extended for the 3rd time until the 1st of April, so you can understand why i hope your prediction is wrong mate, i wonder which will happen 1st the takeover or us getting back to work 22 he he he

• magicmac54

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:03 PM

Wor B

Toon22 has an unbeaten record when it comes to predictions, you under underestimate him at your peril he he he he Please 22 please please be wrong for once in your life about the Takeover and this bloody lockdown lol

• magicmac54

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:07 PM

• Wor B

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:10 PM

Carson from earlier… WTF is Mavis Wilton?

Ahhh

Generational thing, we had a player nick-named Mavis (George) Riley.

Same actress. 🙂

• JohnJ

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:12 PM

Online Guy
    Feb 18, 2021 at 12:04 AM Previous thread

I have a Taylor Koa – It’s ace as far as I’m concerned. Last year I bought a Martin OMGPA4 because that was the model a friend of mine had when he passed on. Trev was a very good performer, friend and guitarist and I bought the guitar in his memory. But….. sadly it’s not in the same league as my Taylor Koa – that’s the best guitar I’ve ever had. So if anyone is interested in the Martin it’s available

I started on Taylor’s with a 310ce and that was very good and then traded up to an 810ce that was better but I think now the Koa is my “for ever guitar” It stays with me until I pass on. I have some hearing issues but the sound of my Koa is music to my ears! I sometimes sing “Let’s Talk Dirty in Hawaiian” by the late John Prine who sadly died not that long ago from Covid-19

I do like Takamine Guitars they have a good sound but never had the chance to buy one. I also have a Tanglewood Cedar guitar for locations where I don’t feel too happy to take the Koa but the TW needs the action adjusted. But I know good guy in W/bay who can do that.

• magicmac54

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:18 PM

• magicmac54

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:22 PM

Hi John j

Hows things with you tonight John? Put a tune on for us amatures fella lol

• magicmac54

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:24 PM

• Swlabr

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:35 PM

OLG..My superpower is the ability to miss posts by 24 hours. (yours 11.50 Last night). I don’t really get your opening line ,but…no, I’m just plain old Swlabr, for the last 2 and a bit years (before that…. Tosun A Wobbler). That was a great post on older acoustics for anyone in the market. Loads of good gen in there.
    Back at Christmas ’75 I had a (very) modest acoustic and Mrs S said I should ask Santa for a case for it. The day dawns and she pulls out a blue Martin case, which I thought was overkill for my guitar. Anyway I had a look inside and there’s a D18. I nearly fainted.
    It’s 45 years old now. The top has turned orange and it blooms like a grand piano. Lived on beans on cracker biscuits for the rest of the year, but it was worth it. 🙂

• Wor B

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:46 PM

Magic

No doubt toon22 holds many unbeaten records.

However until Dunning and Kruger take over the Guinness book I’ll reserve my congratulations.

• GeordieTwo

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:51 PM

Does anybody have a cunning plan to help us escape relegation this season? It has to make sense to wor pinhead owner so that will be especially challenging. I’m thinking Mikey will panic with 8 matches left and us in 18th place, sack wor Brucie and replace him with another yes man pinhead. Will that work? Hmmmm…..

• carltoon

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:52 PM

WorB you seem to be getting more humorous by the day, or have I got lockdown fever, and laughing at any old thing 🙂

• GeordieTwo

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:53 PM

I’m calling this contest between us and Fulham the Great Race. It will be stunningly slow paced, boring, and yet somehow terrifying at the same time….

• carltoon

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:54 PM

Cunning plan, lock Bruce in the cupboard, give the job to Jones,

• Wor B

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:58 PM

Carltoon

No credit to me, thank the NHS, I had a sense of humour transplant after Christmas!!!

It may just be you actually. 😀

• NY Mag

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:00 PM

Evening ladies and gents,

How’s the form with everyone?

WB, your one liners have me in stitches 😀

• carltoon

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:03 PM

I too think Amanda is a hard nosed business woman, she may well love the Newcastle and the fans, who wouldn’t, but believe me these people never let their heart rule their head, she saw a project and had very rich contacts, it could have been any other good prospect, let’s face it we are excellent prospects, why no one else wants to buy us, is why toon22 is right there just isn’t a willing seller, he may have changed his mind, I just hope to God he does, and Amanda wins

• GeordieTwo

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:03 PM

Excellent cunning plan carltoon. It’s a definite winner because it involves getting rid of Brucie. Further improvements: 1. getting rid of Lee Chutney 2. getting rid of Mikey 3. never ever ever seeing a Sports Direct hoarding or sign anywhere near St James Park.

• Wor B

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:04 PM

NY

Evening Granda.

You should see the ones I hover over then delete!

• carltoon

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:04 PM

NYmag, you’ve got the lockdown fever as well 🙂

• magicmac54

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:04 PM

Good evening NY Mag and Carltoon

Wor B has been on fire all day, the mans a Legend even when he wears his kilt lol

• lochinvar

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:06 PM

• carltoon

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:09 PM

Loch, very topical, hope by the time they bring rocks from Mars, we’ve got a take over.

• NY Mag

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:10 PM

WB,

I can imagine….need to be careful 🙂

• Wor B

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:11 PM

Magic

There’s nothing worn under the kilt, it’s all in perfect working order.

I’ll get me coat.

• lochinvar

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:13 PM

Evening all.

Nothing wrong with wearing the kilt.
    I know I have.
    Worn one that is.

In fact we have our own black and white one in black and white. The Northumbrian plaid predates Scottish tartan.

Its a real show stopper if and when we get back to weddings and the like.

Or wear one when blogging. Noone will know.

• magicmac54

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:16 PM

• carltoon

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:16 PM

Loch, nay deeing the highland fling, and keep ya sporran to ya sell

• lesh

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:17 PM

Carltoon, Wor B

Didn’t I day that I was in a LoL frame after I’d had my first Pfizer jab? Now you’re in the same frame. What’s in it or can I have some of what you’ve been on.
    🙂

• magicmac54

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:18 PM

Lochinvar

No doubt your a head turner with the ladies when your wearing your kilt lad lol

• carltoon

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:18 PM

Loch, I’m pleased we’ve got our own black and white tartan, and it is in deed black and white, I’ll get me self one.

• lesh

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:19 PM

It’s a bit early for the nightshift, but as the music channel’s open, ……

• lochinvar

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:22 PM

This fella knew about being on trend. He wrote me story in a poem as well.

Maybe we should all wear them to matches at SJP. A sort of secret code that only we on here would know about and so could identify that we were of the Clan Harrison blog.

Or all turn up early at the Trent or Strawberry for a meet. That would cause quite a stir. Reminds me of all the guys wearing bowler hats in the scene from the Piers Brosnan version of Thomas Crown affair.

It is believed that Sir Walter Scott wore a pair of checked trousers made from the Northumberland tartan in London, making checks trendy.

• magicmac54

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:22 PM

Wor B

i hope you dont go out in your kilt in stormy days, we dont want to put the ladies blood pressure in rocket drive he he he he

• lesh

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:22 PM

lochinvar

You made a very important point about Northumbrian plaid.

It is not, never, ever to be confused with tartan.

The Roman’s built the wall to make that very point.

• thejokethatisnufc

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:25 PM

I’m going to get alot of stick for this I hate to say it but i want us to lose every game under Bruce, i get kind of get upset if we win this is how low it’s become to being a fan, i just want him gone same as Cashley. This team should definitely be mid table not PL strugglers. Only a fool makes the same mistakes twice only an imbecile makes the same mistakes consistently, Cashley should be ashamed of getting a below parr manager to manage such a great club as ours.