web analytics

Pundit Declares Survival Race Is Down To Four Teams In His Latest NUFC Prediction

BBC pundit Mark Lawrenson has given his Premier League predictions for this weekend’s matches. He has Newcastle losing to Manchester United by a score of 2-0 at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Here is some of his reasoning behind this prediction:

Newcastle are the team that everyone in the bottom three thinks they can catch – realistically they are the only other team who could still be dragged into the relegation places.

The Magpies are not playing well, and that gives the sides below them hope that if they keep going they can catch them.

I don’t see anything happening at Old Trafford to change that.

Manchester United have had a few problems at home in breaking down teams who go there just to defend but I think Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side will find a way through.

At the other end, I’m not convinced by Harry Maguire or Victor Lindelof as being a center-half pairing good enough to win the title – Maguire lacks a turn of pace while Lindelof is decent but not strong enough.

You know you can get at them but, without the injured Callum Wilson, the Magpies won’t carry much of a threat.

Yikes, that is a brutal assessment from Lawrenson that the battle to avoid the drop is down to a four-team race, with Newcastle being the only one the bottom three can realistically catch.

I’m not sure I fully agree with that but it’s nonetheless a sobering declaration from someone who has backed Steve Bruce at times this season. He’s also not bought into the notion that Newcastle have played well recently, despite our improved performances against Everton and Southampton.

Lawro’s belief that Newcastle don’t carry much of a threat without Callum Wilson was borne out at Chelsea earlier this week. While the opposition was better, the Magpies were a shell of their recent selves without Wilson at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea cruised to a 2-0 win with Newcastle increasing their levels in the second half after a tepid start to the match. Lawrenson is predicting the same scoreline despite calling into question the quality of Manchester United’s center-back partnership.

Manchester United were held in check at West Brom over the weekend and only managed a 1-1 draw. They are taking on Real Sociedad in the Europa League and are righting the ship up 2-0 at the time of writing. But it is a quick turnaround for them to Sunday.

Hopefully, Newcastle will come out out of the gate with much more intent than at Chelsea. The lads need to put in a performance and keep it tight at the back to have any chance on Sunday.

By the time kick-off comes around, Lawrenson’s proclamation that it is a four-team race for survival could look prescient depending on how some of the teams around us perform on Saturday, though Brighton and Crystal Palace don’t play until Monday.

How Will Newcastle Do At Manchester United On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• lochinvar

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:25 PM

This scene

But with our Northumbrian Tartan kilts on

• carltoon

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:28 PM

Loch, you’ll never get me to wear a skirt at the match, I only did it once, it may have been in the sixties, NEVER AGAIN., 😮

• Wor B

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:32 PM

Lesh

I’m just filling a void for our resident funny man Tackle from Behind.

As you and carltoon did admirably yesterday with your sketch. 😀

Normal service will be resumed shortly when tfb gets out on bail.

My arm is a little tender though 😉

• carltoon

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:34 PM

Tfb, now he does make me laugh,

• magicmac54

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:34 PM

• NY Mag

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:36 PM

Carltoon,

Technically, we’re not on a lockdown here.
    I could go out and do a lot of ‘normal’ things. I just don’t feel entirely comfortable doing so.

What’s getting me most is being stuck at home for work. I’ve been traveling to different places for over 20 years now (and even though I used to moan about it, I miss it).
    Anyway, I’m finalizing a deal with my boss so that I can go on a 3 month assignment to the west coast and do some real work again.

• magicmac54

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:37 PM

No doubt Tackle is the comedian of the blog, he is brilliant at the one liners, you never know whats coming next with Tackle lol

• lochinvar

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:39 PM

Lesh – you got Pfizer?

I just had my Astra Zeneca tonight from the good folk at the Centre for Life. Thanks to all there, it was canny just like match day.
    Bit of a queue. Show your ticket and you’re in.
    Some bigger jabbed me in the arm, I nearly decked them thinking it was a mackem but my mistake, just some lass tweeking me arm in affection. Must be the kilt. Does that for the women ya kna.

Stay till half time to see how you feel. Cuppa if you need one.
    3 months later back again for another one. Like having a season ticket just can’t stay away.

Bit tribal these jabs.
    What’s yours like?

• lochinvar

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:40 PM

NY Mag

West Coast?
    Why would you want to go to Workington?

• magicmac54

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:40 PM

Ok ladies and gentlemen ill get an early one tonight, take care and keep safe everyone nite nite guys.

• lochinvar

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:43 PM

• JohnJ

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:45 PM

Magicmac @ 54

How about this one eh?

It’s one I sing but I wish I had Paddy’s voice!

• lesh

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:49 PM

Lochinvar

Had mine about three weeks ago and everything went like clockwork.

I’ve told the tale and hope those that saw it bear with me for repeating it…….

The medic that did mine must’ve come out of retirement to help – thank you to her and all involved – and she asked me to take my sweater off to find a spot………

And she says “Eeeh, it’s years since a gorra man ti tyek ees shart off forris’!

So, off home and full of giggles.

Oh and btw, a very important point

In Northumberland it’s Plaid, not tartan.

• Munster Mag

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:50 PM

Magic I just noticed now, we’re going to be in “severe lockdown” down herr for ages. Until June it seems. I didn’t hear that one the news but didn’t see all of it. I’m gutted and sickened. I’ll be having a few tomorrow!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:50 PM

Swlabr

Dunno if you’re still around but he NE was built on mining and exporting coal my first ever job was working at Dunston Staithes that was some industrial work of art with thousands of tons of coal being loaded onto the colliers from it for export far and wide.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:50 PM

And good evening all!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:52 PM

That comment could probably have done with a few comma’s! 🙂

• NY Mag

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:53 PM

Loch,

You’re right there…I certainly wouldn’t want to go to workington.
    (Not that I’ve ever been, just have no desire to visit)

• Wor B

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:54 PM

There was some good stuff posted earlier today, some didn’t get much heart recognition!

Good analysis from NadJ I thought, if I re-post it here and we all nod sagely (like the Steves do) folk might think we know stuff about footy…

Not another deJong

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:37 PM

“The formation we have been playing in the past few games where our performances have improved is a narrow 41212 diamond, which has the benefit of concentrating our efforts in controlling the central channel. However the narrowness of the formation can also be a weakness and requires a particlar approach when faced with width. Neville suggested that the whole of the defense needs to move over as a whole to shut down the channel. During the Chelsea match nufc tried to combat the width by positioning Hayden(right) and Shelvey(left) to cover the winger/fullback. Unfortunately this was not succesful as it left the middle exposed and the defensive midfielders were niether here or there and eventually morphed into a 4231 with the substitutes.

The tweek required to the Diamond formation on Monday, should have been to go to a flat central midfield in a 4312, or even drop ASM back slightly and Use Gayle in his natural position in the opponents box. With Shelveys’ lack of movement he would been more comfortable in the middle with Hayden & Willock playing either side and providing defensive stability out to the sidelines. This then also exploits Almiron infront of Shelvey providing the movement and pressure in the centre.

Bruce will no doubt make wholesale changes to the way we play in the next match in resonse to the criticism recieved, when actually the newly succesfull formation needs time to really be bedded in against different opposition. The system can continue to work if adapted appropriately by a capable coach.”

• lochinvar

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:54 PM

Carltoon
    You don’t have to wear the kilt
    A pair of trews would be OK.
    Quite natty.

Is this jib?

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:56 PM

What time does the night-shift start?

• JohnJ

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:56 PM

Swlabr

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:35 PM

Wow a Martin D18 what a great pressie!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:57 PM

Lochinvar

Plaid, plaid really are you alive?

• JohnJ

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:58 PM

Jail.

I recon any time now -maybe in 2 Mins?

• lochinvar

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:59 PM

Lesh

Quite right.
    Plaid it is
    I know that just type two fust sumtimes

• lesh

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:00 AM

Lochinvar

If this is yer man, he’s American though played in Newcastle.

The pic you posted he’s wearing plaid but calls it tartan. Wee’s ganna tellim he’s wrang!

• JohnJ

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:02 AM

Here’s one of mine from a few years back.

Recorded by Terry Ferninand sadly passed away about five years ago 🙁

• lesh

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:03 AM

lochinvar

Is who Jib? Jane prefers silky numbers, he’d find plaid a bit rough.

• lesh

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:05 AM

Jail

The night shift’s officially started at 12 but there’s always thems that’s keen to start early.

• lochinvar

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:05 AM

EssexGB

Ha ha
    Good pick

I’ve probably exhausted this topic for tonight so better take a rain CHECK now

Football and tunes heading down the track

• JohnJ

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:06 AM

This is one from a great hero of mine

Before the Jimmy S thing blew up I wanted him to fix it for me to sing with this guy – Well you can dream but sadly only a pipe dream now!

• magicmac54

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:06 AM

Just had a shower, ill come on for another while cant resist he he he

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:07 AM

Cheers John J, I’m struggling to keep my eyes open mind.

• lesh

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:08 AM

JohnJ

Yiv dunnit now. Yill hev airl thi yung lassies chasin yi.

• JohnJ

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:09 AM

This was a song a heard a trainee Dr sing at The Money (Monkseaton Arms) quite a few years ago now and I immediately thought wow I want to learn that song and I did!

• lesh

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:09 AM

Jail

There’s no sleeping allowed till 3.

• magicmac54

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:09 AM

John J

Well done John, thats brilliant fella, iam very impressed i wish i could play a musical instrument like you and my brother

• lochinvar

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:10 AM

• magicmac54

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:11 AM

Jail for Ashley

Well come to the grave yard shift Jail, give us a tune fella