web analytics

Bruce Gives Selection Hint During Press Conference For Man United

Steve Bruce went with Dwight Gayle to replace the injured Callum Wilson in our defeat at Chelsea last Monday. It was the striker’s first start of the season and he got a good run out before being replaced by Joelinton in the 64th minute.

Bruce had hinted during his press conference last week that Gayle would get an opportunity to ‘step up’ during Wilson’s absence. However, Dwight’s performance against Chelsea, perhaps understandably, was ineffective.

The 31-year-old had just one shot and only 16 touches before Joelinton was brought on in his place. As he was in an uncustomary wider role out to the right, he didn’t provide adequate protection for Emil Krafth.

It was a challenging evening for Gayle, who was asked to fill a role that doesn’t really suit him. Bruce was asked during his press conference for Manchester United whether Gayle did enough to warrant another opportunity at Old Trafford. This was his response:

“It was always going to be difficult for Dwight. We’re aware that it was his first start of the season.

“Dwight, at the start of the season, had a knee operation. That’s been, unfortunately, too many of our players.

“So we knew it was going to be a difficult ask for Dwight. But he stuck at it. He got 65 minutes under his belt and we always know he can score a goal.

“He’s got some minutes under his belt which only can help.”

From these comments, Bruce seems to indicate that Gayle is in contention for a second start at Manchester United. Maybe, Bruce will tweak the system to get the best out of Gayle, who does have goals in him.

Newcastle will need to get back on the scoresheet after being blanked by the Blues. Prior to Monday’s defeat, Newcastle had scored 7 goals in our four previous matches.

Manchester United are not as impenetrable as Chelsea, who have yet to be breached under Thomas Tuchel, excluding an own goal at Sheffield.

One area that Newcastle could struggle with on Sunday is keeping the Red Devils quiet in attack. They can score in bunches as we witnessed at St. James’ Park in October.

Last night, they dismantled a good Real Sociedad team 4-0 in the Europa League, which is concerning considering Newcastle are prone to defensive lapses this season.

So Newcastle will have to be much more disciplined at the back while being clinical with their chances to get anything at Old Trafford.

How Will Newcastle Do At Manchester United On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Tackle from behind

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:27 PM

Silence is golden

• Tackle from behind

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:27 PM

The quiet shall inherit the blog

• Tackle from behind

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:27 PM

A stitch in time saves saying anything

• Tackle from behind

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:28 PM

Strong and silent typing

• Tackle from behind

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:28 PM

5th quietest on the blog

• Tackle from behind

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:29 PM

I have a feeling someone will block my silence soon, then I will have to be quiet.

• Tackle from behind

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:29 PM

Sow white and the 7 silent dwarfs

• Mund

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:30 PM

No more

• Tackle from behind

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:30 PM

I give up, it’s too quiet in here

• Mund

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:30 PM

Shhhhhh

• Tackle from behind

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:31 PM

Damn you Mund and your silent creeping up – you could have said something.

• Not another deJong

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:31 PM

I predict 442 with Gayle and Joelinton playing up front.

• Carson80

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:33 PM

I disagree if PIF takes us over, even in the Championship you can guarantee all eyes will be on our club. There would be to much temptation just to disregard us, as a lot of people will be hoping it all goes the way of the pear.

• toon22

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:33 PM

I’m sure he will be delighted at handing his beloved Manu 3 points

• Wor B

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:36 PM

NadJ

My prediction has 4411 with Almiron weaving just behind and linking in with Gayle.

• barkel

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:37 PM

The problem with starting Gayle is he can’t play the same role as Wilson, he needs to be central which means Miggy needs to go out wide. If we have to put players out of position I’d rather have ASM & Fraser up top with Miggy in the false 9/no. 10 role.

To get Gayle in the starting line up and getting the best out of him we’d need to go back to a 4-2-3-1 and that means a back 4 of whoever is fit, Hayden, Willock, asm, miggy, fraser. Can’t see brucie dropping shelvey though

• cleveleysbob

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:37 PM

Tackle, 3 of us missed the bus and continued on previous or we’d have interrupted your flow somewhat! 🙂

• carltoon

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:37 PM

Adam, of course their are fans that want us to go down.

• Carson80

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:38 PM

Don’t get this stance on wanting to stay in the Premier league, what for to finish 17th or slightly above every season, because that’s been a right laugh the last 14 years. You just have to look at the mental state of fans now to realise this never ending cycle has to end some way.

• carltoon

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:42 PM

No we’ve been relegated twice in that fourteen years, if we don’t get taken over I doubt they will ever get full ground again, and I’m sure Bruce wouldn’t be still here.

• Wor B

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:43 PM

Haha bob

Glad someone got it 😀

• Tackle from behind

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:46 PM

Definitely too early to be looking at the table Bruce.

Try looking at it about 9.45pm tomorrow.

• Mund

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:50 PM

It’s strange because our last exciting season which ended on a high on the last game of the season was in fact, in the Championship.

• cleveleysbob

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:57 PM

The most excitement/joy I got was watching the 2 x end of season run ins under Rafa, after we’d achieved safety, we played some really good football and got a few cracking results.

Although chuffed with the last day events in last Championship season, I can’t say I got overly excited about getting back to where I think we belong. Beating good PL teams is what it’s all about, and we were doing that until Ashley hit the self destruct button again.

• Wor B

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:57 PM

Mund

I was at Raffa’s last home game, it was a rousing experience with 50k singing his name trying to persuade him to stay.

• Great White Hunter

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:59 PM

Carson80, Still disagree about being relegated, Personally I would rather be Miserable in the Premiership than in a lower division etc…. IMO Ashley will not be with us next season no matter what league we are in. Anyway still good to debate the issue shows what a good blog this is. Cheers .

• Mund

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:00 PM

Wor

I bet your hairs stood up when typing that mate! Reliving the moment in your mind, makes you happy and sad at the same time.

• JohnJ

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:02 PM

Catching up with the blog a few observations.

Pleased to see Geordie Tom & Mund back in the mix again.

Regarding a sale and time in the Championship – Sorry but at my age I can’t afford to hang around down below for a couple of seasons. There’s a big need to crack on!.(Under new owners/management of course!

Goalkeeper I feel that Bruce should bring Dubs back into the team! They all need to be aware that they need to perform at their optimum/highest levels for the team and NUFC The manager has to show a lot more steel than he has done. It’s getting too close to squeaky bum time in my eyes!!!

I strongly feel that Bruce would have gone by now if we’d had crowds at SJP he would have had more than a load of Sh!te from the majority of our 52k crowd by now. 🙁

• Wor B

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:07 PM

Mund

You’re right, it’s the thing that keeps us hooked, we’ve put up with a lot of lows over the years but when the highs arrive it’s difficult to put into words how good it feels.

• JohnJ

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:08 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that certain “management” would be not be too unhappy to sell Dubs (£££££££) and bring Woodman back into the fold?

I for one don’t feel that Dubs should be the one to go but who knows eh?

• Mund

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:09 PM

I agree JohnJ we need Dubs back in and I’ve been saying it for weeks now.

Darlow has been impressive and deserved the confidence shown in him but for two reasons i think he needs to be replaced and for one Dubs is our No1 and I believe he is a better keeper IMO but that’s not why I want him back in, I want him back in the 11 and on the pitch as he is one of our leaders and we need more leaders and fighters on the pitch at a time like this.

We have missed this enormously and need him back in the side but I just know Bruce will continue to pick Darlow until the end of the season, just like he picked the same 11 that played well against Everton rather than adjusting for the different task against Palace which we then lost. He hasn’t a scooby doo.

• JohnJ

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:10 PM

Wor B

Long overdue for highs Marra!

• Carson80

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:11 PM

No worries GWH all good banter, be a bit boring if we all agreed with each other. Just think if someone asked me right now “PIF, Reubens and Staveley will own our club but you will have to take relegation for it to happen” I’d snap their hands off.

• Mund

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:13 PM

Wor

It’s those feelings that bring the most joy but then the most pain as we long to feel such times again on the pitch and within St James.

We will get there again mate but this time it will be 10x the feeling but not because of the stature of the incoming owners (IMO) it’s because we have been in purgatory for years now that we have lost or I should say forgot the feelings we once had with the love of football and our amazing club.

But we will get them back! HWTL

• Wor B

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:13 PM

JonhJ

Had the keeper speculation earlier this week, my take was that Darlow might be sold while his worth is peaking and Woodman to understudy Dubs.

• Carson80

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:16 PM

I honestly think touched on it in a previous post the whole country would be watching us, for one season I think people would stop caring about who wins the Premier league, they would focus on us.

• JohnJ

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:18 PM

Carson80

Yes so would I but…….. My preference is get the takeover completed before this season ends get it done ASAP and don’t waste a year or more getting back into the Premier. I desperately want NUFC to at least be in with “The in Crowd” before my final curtain. My age goes up again next month!

• toon22

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:19 PM

We have played 24 games and have 25 points
    Were in trouble but are in a far better place then the teams below us
    Maybe someone should tell cabbage heed how to point out the positives

We should go to Manu and just defend, lets face it how were playing right now we will get picked off by them
    Id play Carrol from the start but have him as an extra CB mostly
    Only go up the field for dead balls
    Id play Miggy or ASM as our lone striker

We arnt suddelny going to turn into RM over night are we
    We need to look for a point right now

• magicmac54

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:19 PM

Wor B

That must have been an amazing experience being at Rafas last home game, the atmosphere must have been electric. also my heart goes out to you as it must be hard to get your fix of blue pills being on lockdown he he he he.

• Mund

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:20 PM

JohnJ

I imagine when it would be announced it will feel like winning the treble! The FA cup, the PL and the Champions league all at once.

Then I’ll sit back out my feet up and just relax and enjoy 🙂

1 2 3 17