web analytics

Bruce Makes Three Changes In Our Predicted Team For Manchester United

This is the team I think Steve Bruce could go with for tonight’s match at Manchester United. It has three changes from the defeat to Chelsea last week.

Bruce’s injury update during his press conference had some positives with Federico Fernandez returning to training and Javier Manquillo responding well to treatment. However, both won’t be available for today leaving Bruce with few options at the back.

I can see Bruce making one change with his backline with Isaac Hayden coming in at right-back for Emil Krafth, who struggles against pacy forwards. Hayden played there recently in the 2-1 Leeds defeat and will also open up some changes to the midfield.

The glaring one being the return of Matty Longstaff. The youngster plays well against the Red Devils with two goals against them last season. His youthful exuberance and stamina would be very useful tonight.

Jonjo Shelvey and Joe Willock keep their places though I wouldn’t be surprised if Bruce sat Shelvey for this one and brought back Jeff Hendrick or Sean Longstaff. Newcastle need to make life uncomfortable for Man United as Lascelles said over the weekend. That’s just not Shelvey’s type of game.

The other questionable change that I can envision is Joelinton coming in for Dwight Gayle. Bruce hinted that Gayle will get a run of games during his press conference but he offers little in a wide role and may need to wait for Wolves next weekend

Joelinton is a frustrating player but Bruce may opt to go with him tonight as he looked ok when coming on against Chelsea. He had a few moments and that may warrant another opportunity.

Bruce generally makes a few changes after a poor performance. While the second-half was much-improved, it was because the lads showed more intent. So Bruce’s team selection will have to mirror that type of mindset.

Whoever takes the pitch at Old Trafford tonight will have to play like their lives depend on it. Fulham moved to just three points adrift after their 1-0 win over a very poor Sheffield United. It’s a full-on relegation battle now, which is just sickening.

How Will Newcastle Do At Manchester United On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Mund

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:46 AM

Happy Birthday WL 😎 Hope you have a good one mate

• Mund

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:47 AM

Bob

From previous like I said bud different times mate and most certainly meeting up for what if! plans.

• WLtoon

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:48 AM

Good morning all, it`s my birthday today so i`m hoping for a handy 3 points from the lads as a little present to stop the stress levels rising to a seriously worrying level .
    Looking at Cabbage Patch`s record at Old Trafford it`s not looking good at all, i just hope we play decent a pick up at least a point.
    I`m on early start tomorrow so i wont be having a drink while watching the game though i think i might need one.
    Il`e stick with my Tetley`s TEA BAGS

• WLtoon

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:50 AM

Mund,

Cheers fella, lets hope the boys can put on a performance tonight to ease the pressure and the threat of the dreaded drop.

• fairscup

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:52 AM

Why the fck did he not sign Lookman when he had the chance OR Bowen for that matter.

Absolutely clueless.

• Blaydon-Toon

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:53 AM

I really wouldn’t mind if we setup a bit more defensive for this one – Hayden is wasted a RB but Krafth is a liability … never thought I would miss Manquillo so much after his very slow start as an NUFC player ! Think we will get beat either way

• Mund

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:54 AM

WL

Let’s hope mate as I wished the same on my birthday which was against Chelsea 🙁 hope yours comes true.

• lesh

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:56 AM

Repost

The ones saying they’d take relegation to get rid of Ashley need to think of the consequences.

There is no assurance of a quick promotion and in the meantime,

Most of the clubs in the Prem will grow and leave Newcastle United behind them

There will be developments in forming a Euro wide competition…

Leaving NUFC trailing way behind other clubs.

Think, think think!

• lesh

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:57 AM

WLtoon

If you want to enjoy your birthday, stay as far away from the media as you possibly can.

No matter, let’s hope you have a happy one.

• toon22

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:58 AM

WL

Happy B
    Wise words from Lesh

• Optimistic prime

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:59 AM

We’ll be play a 1 10 formation, doesn’t matter which players he selects.

• Munster Mag

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:59 AM

Oh no that looks like s shocking team. We saw what arsenal did to shelvey and matty. Zero pace. Its all about pace. Shelvey would be majestic in a slower continental league. Hayden out of midf, at right back is a disaster.

• Munster Mag

Joelinton

• Optimistic prime

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:03 PM

Same players in 451, Hayden breaking up play

• Munster Mag

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:04 PM

Lesh agree, that’s why I was annoyed with a supporter of ours delighting in Fulham winning. Ridiculous. I’ll ask him again when we lose 1-0 to Hull, with Ashley and Bruce still in place and historically smaller clubs like Leicester winning the europa league or playing Barcelona at the nou camp on the same night.

• sing in the corner

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:05 PM

Keep Shelvey away from this game!!

• The Ledge

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:08 PM

• fairscup

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:09 PM

Would be tempted to put big Andy in to shake them up and keep Maguire occupied.

• sing in the corner

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:10 PM

Bruce needs to be held to account for many things..
    But signing Jonjo on a new contract is right up there.
    Trying to justify it by keeping on picking him could be the straw..

• Munster Mag

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:10 PM

I’d agree with OP, maybe with Murphy at rb for his pace v man utds speedsters or Lewis at lb as he has been improving. Keep gayle out, mattie and shelvey out.

• simon376

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:11 PM

Moonraker
    Thats why I said as best we can. Unfortunately we cant let players know how we feel by being there, but lets try and be more positive over social media, seems to be so negative a lot of the time. Yes can understand why but lets be positive and get behind them. We know players use social media all the time, maybe they also read blogs

• TheTinman

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:12 PM

Who on earth was delighting in Fulham winning. That’s scandalous.

• Optimistic prime

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:15 PM

Munster

Those players in a 451 would be a starting point.

Hendrick could be put into CM for a bit more Protection, Carroll Upfont instead of Joe.

Takes little to alter it.

Be the narrow diamond again, we’ll get murdered down the flanks, Bruce will ignore it for a hour.

• TheTinman

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:19 PM

Oooooft that’s a nasty one for Soucek!

• Moonraker15

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:23 PM

Neil
    No disrespect but I hope your wrong about tonight’s team.
    We need Hayden holding on midfield and we don’t want Joelinton anywhere near the team as he’s deadweight !

• geordietom

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:26 PM

just remember lads Jeff Hendricks is raring to go 😉

• Moonraker15

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:26 PM

OP
    not Joelinton please! He’s just useless!

• Tackle from behind

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:28 PM

Jeff Hendrick can go any time he likes – I’ll even offer to pay his bus fare.

• Australian Pie

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:29 PM

OP

Agree with that team, you are exactly right the flanks will murder us if we use the same formation again.

Also agree with Munster though Murphy at RB and Hayden staying CM is crucial. Hayden can hopefully do a really decent job on Bruno

• Wor B

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:30 PM

WL

All the best, virtual pint from me.

• Pottsclock

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:31 PM

I wonder how Joelinton’s haircut will rate today against those of the ManUre players. Maybe Ed could start a poll after the match, “Which player had the best haircut”.
    Unfortunately I cannot see us getting any points, but here’s hoping. I think he’ll start the same team as the last match except Joelinton instead of Gayle.

• onmeedsun

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:32 PM

What a head f**k this club is.
    Only way we get shot of Ashley is to stay up, but what if that means another 14 years of utter mediocrity, or worse the rest of our lives. So some fans are wanting us to lose so we go down. I think they know that Ashley would have less chance of selling in that scenario as he will never drop his price. So why are they thinking like this? Perhaps they’ve decided they’d rather see the club implode and self destruct to at least stop the pain of following this club. But of course they will never stop following the club as it’s not something you can switch off. So is the pain of relegation worse than just staying up and having Ashley for the foreseeable. Yes. And if we do stay up there is a chance that he will sell. In the meantime we just have to endure. It is a form of abuse and torture.
    A head f**k.

• Tackle from behind

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:33 PM

Sorry Neil, I think your team selection is well off the mark.

Hayden should be in your Longstaff position, then Murphy in where you have Hayden

Swap Joelinton for Fraser and switch him with ASM’s position

Then Dummet instead of Lewis

Oh, and Dubs instead of Darls

Oh and Jones instead of Bruce.

• geordietom

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:34 PM

and no longstaffs please

• Pottsclock

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:35 PM

Tfb, I agree with what you’ve said except I’d have me Mam instead of Bruce

• Wor B

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:35 PM

OP #14

I like your style mate, although some might think you’re a tad cocky playing without a keeper!

😀

• Munster Mag

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:37 PM

Onmeed, I remember Brenda from LSC, she was dyeing her hair back then aswell 🙂
    She’s a good egg.

• Slatymag

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:38 PM

Happy Birthday WL

No Shelvey for me. I’d be happy if he didn’t play again this season. If he done the bare minimum then yes, but I can’t stand to see him fake another shift. So annoying.

• onmeedsun

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:39 PM

And in terms of boycotts.
    Been there done it, but why should I stop going up to Newcastle to watch games, when it’s part of my soul. I could be dead in 5 years and never attend another live match. You can’t expect anyone to sign up to that. Those that have done it will be churning inside on match days. Easy for fans that can’t ever attend matches to say it. But when it’s part of your life turning away is painful. At least when you’re in the ground you can let rip, which believe me is better than listening from a distance, unable to influence anything. Ashley knew our weakness (too loyal) and has exploited it.
    I wouldn’t wish COVID on anyone, but I’d make an exception for him.