web analytics

Newcastle Can’t Sustain First-Half Intensity And Lose 3-1 At Manchester United

Newcastle put up a fight for close to an hour but Manchester United took control in the second half. The Red Devils asserted their dominance after Newcastle’s encouraging first-half performance which bled over into the early stages of the second. The lads were ultimately unable to stay competitive and the Red Devils added two goals in the second forty-five to hand the Magpies another defeat.

Newcastle came out unchanged after an encouraging first half had them level at the break. The restart was impressive with the Magpies spending the opening minutes in the Manchester end which resulted in a decent effort from Saint-Maximin in the 49th minute, though it was easily saved by de Gea.

Steve Bruce made his first change ten minutes into the second half. Joelinton was removed for Ryan Fraser. The Brazilian had his moments in the first half despite appearing to be hampered by an injury.

Just after the change, Newcastle had another defensive lapse. They were comfortably set in a block behind the ball when Nemanja Matic played a pass across the box. Jamal Lewis jumped up but a slight touch from Bruno Fernandes allowed the ball to reach Daniel James, who was unmarked. The Welsh international’s shot sailed past Darlow to give the hosts another lead.

Manchester United wrestled control of the match in the lead up to the goal and this time they didn’t allow Newcastle an easy route back into the game. Newcastle struggled to get hold of the ball and the hosts began to dominate.

In the 73rd minute, the Red Devils added a third goal after Joe Willock slid toward Marcus Rashford in the box. It’s questionable whether Willock actually made contact with Rashford but a penalty was awarded. Bruno Fernandes took the penalty to make it 3-1 which put the match out of reach for the Magpies.

Steve Bruce brought Jacob Murphy on for Allan Saint-Maximin after the goal. Soon after Murphy came on Bruce brought Dwight Gayle on for Miguel Almiron. The changes did little to affect the outcome as the final stages of the game consisted of Newcastle desperately trying to deny their hosts a fourth goal.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 3-1 Defeat At Manchester United?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Adamn_92

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:12 AM

Wolves game i think we’ll struggle big time. Back to back wins for them so will be confident, got pacey tricky wingers in Adama and Neto who will have a field day against Lewis and Krafth if that’s who we go with. Unfortunately ASM won’t track their full backs either who like to get forward so could be undone on the flanks again. Realistically I don’t see us getting anything from Wolves so the big ones for me are the 3 after where anything less than 2 wins spells disaster, more so than it does now.

• Adamn_92

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:14 AM

Rotonda

Easy decision isn’t it. Stay here under Ashley and not be able to bring your vision to life and be undermined, under-backed and underfunded. Or get a nice big payday to try out a new league? No brainer.

• Mund

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:15 AM

Moonraker

Don’t torture yourself mate it’s in the past we can’t change that now

• Grumpy

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:16 AM

i used to live and die Newcastle, but succesive crap manangers and operating mistakes have taken the hope out of me

• Carson80

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:16 AM

Mike Ashley is supposed to be this business genius, so why would he allow the club to be in the predicament it is in. The only answer can be a written agreement must be in place that the club is sold regardless of what division we are in.

• Mund

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:16 AM

hibbit considering I was the only one talking about the next 4 was there any need for your post? I felt like it was a big of a kick

Ofc Bruce has to go but coming on a blog and shouting about all the time won’t achieve that

• Adamn_92

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:19 AM

Carson

He’s also a big gambler unfortunately, he’s been milking the club dry for 14 years and plastering s*** direct everywhere for advertising. He’s been making bank and using our club as nothing more than a money maker and advertising board for his tat. He gambles on the cheap options to keep us in the league and only budges at the last second when it’s too late. He’s gotten very lucky that both times we’ve come straight back up with practically no net spend. He probably fancies his chances at gambling again, especially if he’s determined to sell up anyway. He’s gambled with the club like this even when a sale hasn’t been on the cards.

• Wor B

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:19 AM

Regan

Nice to see you back! Hope you enjoyed your holiday, what’s the food like in there at the minute?

Sorted your bins while you were away, no charge.

😀

• hibbit

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:20 AM

Mund you sounded like Steve Bruce telling us to wait and see were we are in 4 games time,
    most of us already know were we are,you obviously don’t,

• Mund

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:25 AM

hibbit

Who is this most? Because we are living in the now, we don’t have no crystal ball that can see in the future (unfortunately) and the next 4 will define our season, fact.

I want Bruce gone as much as you or any other but I’m a realist and I see that doesn’t look like happening anytime soon. So why worry? Why cry get Bruce out every day and with wasted spent emotion? If he gets the chop soon? Then fantastic we can celebrate.

You know more than anyone you support the badge and the 11 on the field.

Nothing is written yet! That is yet to come.

We could be basically safe after those 4 games

• Rotonda heights

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:27 AM

Munster

If you’re going to call people liars that suggests I’ve hit a nerve big time.

• Ron Knee

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:31 AM

“succesive (sic) crap manangers (sic)”

Rafa wasn’t crap by any means.

• Adamn_92

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:32 AM

I see the Wolves game as unrealistic to get anything from, meaning Fulham could be level on points with us after that game. That means they’d only have to match us for points for the rest of the season due to their better goal difference. I think most fans feel Fulham will play better than us and get better results than us between now and the end of the season. I don’t think that’s unrealistic and that’s the very real scenario we are currently facing.

• coming home

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:35 AM

Adamn

Jeez you on a right downer

You see the wolves game as unrealistic to get any points
    I see it as a cert win they are not a good team without there main striker

• Mund

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:36 AM

Anything that hasn’t happened yet with the minutes to be played is all hypothetical and out of our control but the main fact is it hasn’t happened yet

Right who is related to Mystic Meg?

• Mund

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:39 AM

I think we can have 7 points before we play Brighton.

Fulham’s next 4

Palace A, Spurs H, Liverpool A, Man City H

• Wor B

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:40 AM

Mund

I suspect many think our season is already defined, we’re two thirds through and involved in a relegation battle.

The next 4 games will have a big impact on deciding our survival. Still a lot to play for, we need to start picking up points, I for one do not want another relegation.

• Mund

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:42 AM

Wor

Me either mate but I don’t think we will and I think before the last game of the season we will be clear of it. We could be after the next 4 looking at Fulham’s fixtures

• Adamn_92

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:42 AM

coming home

Neto and Adama against Lewis and Krafth. Likely asm will play and offer no protection tracking back with their wingbacks pushing on. Wolves winning their last two so confidence up. Why do you see us a cert win?

Sorry for being a downer, just don’t see positives right now and use this blog to vent frustration regarding Newcastle United things.

• Optimistic prime

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:42 AM

Looking at the past, gives a decent preview of the future.

Screaming won’t help, neither does burying your head in the sand.

I’d rather brace myself for the kick in the balls, not close my eyes to it.

My view on Bruce has been the same since day 1, didn’t give him a chance then, won’t be giving him a chance now.

If by some miracle we stay up, it’ll be luck, nothing Bruce or Ashley have done.

• Northumbrian

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:43 AM

Joey Barton just been announced as Bristol rovers manager.

• Mund

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:44 AM

I see clearly I don’t bury no head in no sand

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:45 AM

Fulham play in a way at the moment that they can draw games against the top 6 we seem to concede cheap goals which doesn’t give you a chance

Having ASM and Shelvey in the same team means we have 2 players that don’t track runners playing on the same side coupled with Lewis who can have lapses in concentration just leaves you in serious trouble

Would actually be better with Dummett who will stay solid and not leave any gaps or Richie who isn’t great but at least he shouts at others to get into position which we are lacking

• Optimistic prime

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:46 AM

Look at Fulhams last 14 games, dont lose many, hard to beat, I’d expect them to pick up atleast 4 pts from next 4.

All they have to do is be within 2pts of us for last game of the season, we’ll fold at their place.

We could even go down on GD

• Northumbrian

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:47 AM

,,,bus,,,

• Assassins Inc

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:53 AM

I’m sick to my stomach with what’s happening at our club, sick that MA does nothing to protect on paper his biggest asset.
    Sick that American friends and people new ask me then laugh when I tell them I support the Toon, yes, you know, the ones that support Liverpool, Man U any of the so called big six, never once have I heard an American say I support West Brom or Fulham or Everton, I have to deal with aholes laughing that I support Newcastle United. Thanks MA, thanks the three Amigos, aka Steve’s.

• Geordie-john

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:55 AM

FFS, I am just reading the verbal shite that some of the pundits are saying about NUFC and in particular Jenas. What a knobhead he is. Then you have people saying NUFC should be worried, FFS I’ve been worried since Turnipheed took over.

In my opinion he’s a MAKEM or Agent Bruce as they are starting to call him.

Fat Lad you’ve got to get rid of him and yourself ASAP otherwise we will be relegated AGAIN under your ownership and you will lose a MASSIVE wedge on the SO CALLED ANNUAL SALE that is once again supposedly looming. Enough is REALLY enough now !

• Geordie-john

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:59 AM

Well Done Joey Barton I would’ve had you here to replace Turnipheed ANYDAY.
    We need the likes of you to remind the team of where the ball is meant to go and how to get it there. No more of this DEFEND TO THE END shite.

1 9 10 11