web analytics

Report – Newcastle Low On Ashley’s List Of Priorities

The Chronicle reported last week after the defeat at Chelsea that Mike Ashley has no plans to replace head coach Steve Bruce despite Newcastle dropping to 17th in the table. The situation has since gotten more precarious with Fulham now just three points behind Newcastle with a much better goal difference.

Therefore a loss against Wolves at St. James’ Park coupled with a Fulham win at Crystal Palace next weekend will see Newcastle in the relegation places. Whether that scenario will cause Mike Ashley to have a change of heart remains to be seen.

However, last night’s loss at Manchester United has reportedly done little to move Ashley into action. Here is a tweet from the Telegraph’s Luke Edwards on Ashley’s stance, or lack thereof, on his embattled football club.

A defeat at Old Trafford was not likely to extract a response from Newcastle’s emotionally divested owner. Though a drop into the bottom three may be enough to get Ashley in motion. He can ill afford Newcastle going down this year if he hopes to get anywhere near his asking price for this club.

Fan group Toon For Change has issued an ‘urgent plea’ to Mike Ashley to replace Steve Bruce as manager. Here is a tweet from the group containing their statement.

This is unlikely to garner any response from the often stubborn Mike Ashley. However, if Bruce picks up nothing at home against Wolves on Saturday or at West Brom the following weekend, then Newcastle will likely be in the bottom three with just 10 matches to play. That is Steve McClaren territory where Ashley’s reluctance to act with haste cost Newcastle their Premier League status.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 3-1 Defeat At Manchester United?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Optimistic prime

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:20 PM

Commentator was jenas so it’s a given he’s talking shite, I shouldn’t be so knarked.

• Optimistic prime

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:22 PM

What’s the difference between blocking and obstruction?

• JohnReese

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:28 PM

OP,

I was always told it’s where you were focusing. If I had eyes on the ball whilst holding off an attacker it was blocking. Eyes only on the player it would be deemed obstruction. Pretty basic but I had a ref tell me that when I was a kid and it stuck. Saved me giving away stupid fouls on more than one occasion.

• Optimistic prime

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:31 PM

JR

Somrone needs to tell the Refs.

• Optimistic prime

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:32 PM

JR

So it can basically be a judgement call, or ignored or given at refs discretion.

Just claim “I thought his eyes were on the ball”

• JohnReese

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:37 PM

OP,

Obviously that was a good few years ago so I really don’t know what refs are told now but despite what anyone might try and tell you, every decision is at the refs discretion. VAR was supposed to stop that but it hasn’t yet.

You can definitely be over zealous in your blocking and when I was playing I got pretty good at throwing an elbow or raking my studs down someone’s achilles without the ref seeing or at least making it look accidental. Every good defender should be able to game the system somewhat.

• Optimistic prime

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:42 PM

JR

My own personal favourite, was standing on a players foot as they were about to jump.

VAR so far has seemed pointless, all the same problems and mistakes, except we get reruns mid match.

You could easily make a one hour show of ridiculous VAR decisions each week.

That and some of the new rules are creating chaos, even less inconsistent, top job.

1 3 4 5