web analytics

Former Magpie Expresses Legitimate Concern About Newcastle’s Situation

Newcastle’s tenuous situation has many fans anxiously watching results from around the league and wondering what impact they will have on our fight against relegation. Last night there was a match of interest as Brighton hosted Crystal Palace.

At kick-off, Brighton sat just one place and one point above us in the table while the Eagles were four points and in 14th. So both clubs were realistically still in the mire despite being better off than Newcastle.

Well, Crystal Palace snagged two goals from nothing to defeat Brighton with strikes from new signing Jean-Philippe Mateta and Christian Benteke, whose outstanding finish came in the final minute of stoppage time. Mateta did his best Ayoze Perez impersonation with a nifty backheel in the first half, which was his first goal since signing for Palace in January.

That result keeps Brighton, who dominated possession and had 25 shots with only one finding the target, firmly in the relegation muck along with Newcastle. So we suppose it was a decent result for us despite Crystal Palace now seeming safe. They take on Fulham at Selhurst Park on Sunday.

Results from teams around us should be irrelevant as Newcastle need to be masters of their own fate. Wins are what will keep us in this league by season’s end. However, going on our recent run, wins are an elusive beast for the Magpies. Actually, points are.

Over the last 14 matches in the league, we’ve picked up just two victories. Even worse is we haven’t been drawing matches like Fulham have. Over this horrid 14 match stretch, we’ve lost 10 of them. So we’ve amassed just 8 points from 42 available. It’s no wonder we’re in this mess.

Picking up results was already a monumental task from this year’s group. Gone are the unlikely results, like Crystal Palace had last night, where we play awful but find a way to get points like Chelsea at home or Everton away from last season.

This year our record is a better reflection of our form, which until around three weeks ago, was just shockingly dreadful. So it doesn’t look good at the moment. Concerns are starting to be voiced from the media and former players.

One of those is Danny Simpson, who while Newcastle were last in this mess under Steve McClaren, was winning the league with Leicester City. However, Danny joined Newcastle, initially on loan, in the summer of 2009 when we had just gone down the first time under Ashley.

So he’s well versed in this era of Newcastle. The Chronicle has published the following comments Simpson, who is now a free agent, made to the BBC about his concerns for his former club:

“I am [worried about them].

“I don’t want to say that because I have some great memories from that club, I still follow them and I like Steve Bruce.

“But I think Callum Wilson is a massive miss and you look at the next few fixtures where Newcastle have Wolves, West Brom and Villa and Fulham have Palace, Spurs, and Liverpool.

“I think that next game where Fulham go to Palace away and Newcastle have Wolves, they can really close the gap there.

“Up in Newcastle, when the pressure is on, the pressure is really on.

“I know the fans aren’t in the stadium but you still feel it because it is a massive club.

“I do fear for them and I don’t want to say that. But Fulham are a team on the up and Newcastle are a team that are really struggling at the moment.”

Since Callum Wilson went down injured, Newcastle have lost both matches. While they were tough fixtures at Chelsea and Manchester United, he was such an important part of this team. Newcastle just don’t have a player in the squad that can make up for such an obvious void.

It could be argued the loss of Wilson is the biggest loss any club in the bottom half of the table could have suffered. Though Wolves may have something to say as the head injury to Raul Jiminez in late November derailed their season. However, they brought in Willian Jose in January, and while he hasn’t scored, they’ve lost just once since he arrived.

If Newcastle are to keep Fulham in the rearview, they are going to have to do it without Wilson for next month or so. While the sample size is limited and they were against top clubs, we’ve lost all four league matches Wilson has not played in.

So we need someone to step into Wilson’s void as the next two matches are absolutely critical for this club.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 3-1 Defeat At Manchester United?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• geordietom

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:28 AM

i remember Danny Simpson when he was at court when he was ordered to pay maintenance for one of his kids , the judge told him how much he had to pay for the kid , Simpsons reply to the judge was i cant afford that im only on 15 grand a week , ONLY YCMIU … 😀

• Just a fan

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:34 AM

Geordietom.
    You were done at boulmer we got the scran for free.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:36 AM

Could actually do with a fullback like him just now

Krafth is actually a decent defender (similar to Dummett) but he just lacks the pace needed to play in the premiership although if we maybe had a hard working winger beside him could form a solid partnership? He would maybe be better as a CB in a 3 at the back formation mind you

• geordietom

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:36 AM

Just a fan …

yeah mate we did did you play there ?

• DrGloom

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:39 AM

Simpson was okay, not the best but was good for us in championship – still hard to believe he won a EPL championship medal with Leicester and played the majority of games!!
    He’s hit the nail on the head, playing well for 45 minutes isn’t going to work, Fulham aren’t great but they can grind out a draw which I think is all they will get at Palace – we could really do with a win against Wolves but we need to drop the diamond or drop ASM and Shelvey for players who will cover the defence and track back – possibly move ASM to the middle ( presuming Linton not fit )

• Uri Geller

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:40 AM

The Danny Simpson who many were willing to slate at the end of his time with us. He’s too short, his positional play isn’t so good etc….

The one who made sometimes unbelievable last gasp goal line blocks (4 or 5 occasions), and put his body on the line in every challenge he was making. The same one who managed a move to a team that became champions with his help.

I’d have somebody like him in the team in a heartbeat.

I don’t see that level of the fight and commitment in the team at this moment in time. Problems with fullbacks and with the manager

• Rotonda heights

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:41 AM

Mund

I don’t think anyone has anything against your positivity. God knows we all need uplifting. However, playing devil’s advocate you sometimes appear to be choosing to go off what some random people on twitter say and accumulating and interpreting it as gospel. That of course is your prerogative. Toon 22 probably has too much negativity. Somewhere in the middle is probably about right. Truth is no one knows about the takeover, where we’ll finish or what happens next.

• lochinvar

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:42 AM

Mike Ashley’s retail empire Frasers Group has warned investors of a potential £100m hit to his property portfolio, as the lockdown restrictions on the high street continue.
    The group owns a raft of businesses across the UK and beyond, including Flannels, House of Fraser, Sports Direct, Evans Cycles, as well as buildings containing other retail businesses.

That’s on top of £150 million down the pan with Debenhams.

Total £250 million.

Selling an asset for £300 million would balance the books and leave him up £50million.

Sounds like a plan

• lochinvar

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:43 AM

Uri
    cant help thinking that you’re bending the truth again but team spirit and energy can make the difference

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:48 AM

Ffs man!

Come on the Rotonda show me where I’ve put stuff on here from Twitter and take it as gospel? Show me one post!

You have no idea what I know or where I’m coming from so don’t spread stupid lies as I’ve never once said anything is gospel.

You lot do like to spread a lot of hate on others on this blog if it doesn’t fit in with your narrative.

You all like to say I don’t like anyone with a different opinion than my own which is utter BS.

You also like to say anyone who doesn’t believe in a takeover like I do I go at! BS

Because I choose to have a different outlook in life and it doesn’t fit what you lads feel it blows up like this rubbish.

Put it this way I’d never swap the way I feel with how you all feel, never in a million years.

It’s a life choice

• geordietom

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:51 AM

best thing to do on here is say nowt imho

• geordietom

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:52 AM

talk shite your better thought of …

• VanToonMan

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:55 AM

Haven’t been on for a while (though I read the articles). Pretty much since the ‘end’ of the takeover saga in the summer – it was devastating to say the least.

Anyway hope you all are in good spirits. I am super nervous about the next 4 games – it’s make or break – but we must believe we will stay up. We have to keep that positive attitude and fighting spirit.

I think Dubravka, Fernandez, Dummett and Ritchie need to come in for the next 4 games to help us grind out results.

• VanToonMan

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:57 AM

My lineup for next game:

Dubravka
    Krafth Fernandez Clark Dummett

Hayden Willock

ASM Almiron Ritchie

Gayle

• Adamn_92

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:59 AM

I truly hope we do take something away at Wolves, looking at the fixture though it should be ringing alarm bells. We consistently get caught out on the wings, a tricky winger beating either Krafth or Lewis in a 1 on 1 with little help. If Wolves have Adama and Neto on the wings facing up against Krafth and Lewis, they could have a field day. We all know we are weak from cut backs into the box too. If Wolves work it to the wings to isolate Lewis or Krafth in a 1 on 1 situation, get to the byline and cut it back, it could be game over.

Not meaning to be negative, just assessing their team and our team I feel that’s a very real weak spot for us that they have the perfect tools to exploit. Of course I hope we get at least a point and move into the next fixtures with a bit of confidence. If we do lose, I feel like it’ll knock the stuffing out of the team a bit and everything becomes that much harder.

• Just a fan

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:01 PM

Geordietom
    Long time ago

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:05 PM

Overreacting always takes you to a bad place Mund. Just accept that some will not share your view and leave it, for your own peace of mind if nothing else.

• geordietom

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:08 PM

Just a fan …

long time ago for me as well mate , remember the side of the pitch them big massive helicopters some size like …

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:09 PM

I’d take a draw or two now just any points to at least get some confidence back that we aren’t always beatable.

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:10 PM

Tsunki

What are you taking about?

When did I say I won’t accept anyone with a different view? I’ve never said that ever and it’s stuff like this that’s doing my head in on the blog spreading lies which are simply not true!

I’ve asked Tinman and Rotonda to show me what they are talking about with proof but still nothing so could you please maybe point to what you are all taking about? Because not once have I ever said anyone can’t think different to me as that’s just madness.

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:11 PM

The Teddy Bears have spoken.

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:12 PM

Look if anyone is going to throw accusations about could you at least back it up!

If you can’t then I’d advise saying nothing

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:18 PM

Same old people poking but in a much more subtle way.

Bravo lads

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:21 PM

Well my post was conciliatory I thought but hey ho.

• Carson80

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:22 PM

Cor could murder a mixed grill and a pint of San Miguel right now.

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:23 PM

If people aren’t careful I will post my Titanic analogy again. Don’t test me – I mean it, I’m not afraid to use it!

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:23 PM

Carson have you got a tent pitched outside spoons?

😀

• lesh

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:25 PM

Mund

Take it easy, take a deep breath before reacting to critical posts.

It’s up to you but it’s sometimes better to let things go by without making things worse.

Chill

• Carson80

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:27 PM

Ha Tsunki good one that, to be fair I only do meals in Spoons on a lads sesh, tend to go more upmarket when I’m out with the family.

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:28 PM

Yeah Carson, me too. Me….too

😉

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:29 PM

I used to like brekkies in F&B’s at The Gate before the midday games. Always strangely quiet….

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:31 PM

I don’t know what it’s called but what used to be long play cafe down the quayside top American breakfasts, their pancakes are massive. There was a joke in there but I decided to avoid it ….

• Carson80

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:33 PM

To be fair to Mund he does get targeted by a number of people, at the end of the day its night and he’s only posting his own views, as everybody else does here, I am also very positive about the takeover so if you want to send some vitriol my way I can take it on me glass chin honest.

• kimbo

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:35 PM

Will Bruceless become the first PL manager of the year to get his team relegated.

• Carson80

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:35 PM

Tsunki them F+B brekkies were awesome, you used to get a canny bit as well if I’m remembering right.

• lesh

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:36 PM

Whilst we’d all love a good result against Wolves, there is the small matter of form – 14 matches in the league with two wins!

As long as Bruce has the final say on selection, formation and motivation, I believe that barring miracles, we’re all but down.

What I find astonishing is that with two wins in matches, Bruce hasn’t been moved out of the hot seat. I can only assume – and I’m being kind here – is that Barnes and Charmless haven’t advised him of the situation.

I can understand Ashley delegating responsibility to Barnes but one or both of them is being reckless with the club and its fans.

• lesh

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:39 PM

Everton planning application to build a £500m stadium gets approval from City Council.

Let that sink in….. £500m on a stadium and meanwhile, we’re using rubbish bins for baths!

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:40 PM

Lesh

I don’t like anyone who tries to spread hate on another person, it’s uncalled for and if you are going to accuse someone then back it up or it’s just words and can cause dramas on the blog which we all don’t need or want.

Look at the same people saying the same things all the time.

If anyone has a dislike to me which I doubt they would admit to anyways but if they do then skip my posts don’t react to my positivity if it rankles anybody. I don’t know why anyone would want to go at someone who tries to have a positive outlook. Anyone can choose to do what they want that’s there own personal choice.

I just think what’s the point sometimes

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:40 PM

Carson = Legend 😎

• Carson80

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:44 PM

Mund probably more leg end than legend me mate.

1 2 3 6