web analytics

Former Magpie Expresses Legitimate Concern About Newcastle’s Situation

Newcastle’s tenuous situation has many fans anxiously watching results from around the league and wondering what impact they will have on our fight against relegation. Last night there was a match of interest as Brighton hosted Crystal Palace.

At kick-off, Brighton sat just one place and one point above us in the table while the Eagles were four points and in 14th. So both clubs were realistically still in the mire despite being better off than Newcastle.

Well, Crystal Palace snagged two goals from nothing to defeat Brighton with strikes from new signing Jean-Philippe Mateta and Christian Benteke, whose outstanding finish came in the final minute of stoppage time. Mateta did his best Ayoze Perez impersonation with a nifty backheel in the first half, which was his first goal since signing for Palace in January.

That result keeps Brighton, who dominated possession and had 25 shots with only one finding the target, firmly in the relegation muck along with Newcastle. So we suppose it was a decent result for us despite Crystal Palace now seeming safe. They take on Fulham at Selhurst Park on Sunday.

Results from teams around us should be irrelevant as Newcastle need to be masters of their own fate. Wins are what will keep us in this league by season’s end. However, going on our recent run, wins are an elusive beast for the Magpies. Actually, points are.

Over the last 14 matches in the league, we’ve picked up just two victories. Even worse is we haven’t been drawing matches like Fulham have. Over this horrid 14 match stretch, we’ve lost 10 of them. So we’ve amassed just 8 points from 42 available. It’s no wonder we’re in this mess.

Picking up results was already a monumental task from this year’s group. Gone are the unlikely results, like Crystal Palace had last night, where we play awful but find a way to get points like Chelsea at home or Everton away from last season.

This year our record is a better reflection of our form, which until around three weeks ago, was just shockingly dreadful. So it doesn’t look good at the moment. Concerns are starting to be voiced from the media and former players.

One of those is Danny Simpson, who while Newcastle were last in this mess under Steve McClaren, was winning the league with Leicester City. However, Danny joined Newcastle, initially on loan, in the summer of 2009 when we had just gone down the first time under Ashley.

So he’s well versed in this era of Newcastle. The Chronicle has published the following comments Simpson, who is now a free agent, made to the BBC about his concerns for his former club:

“I am [worried about them].

“I don’t want to say that because I have some great memories from that club, I still follow them and I like Steve Bruce.

“But I think Callum Wilson is a massive miss and you look at the next few fixtures where Newcastle have Wolves, West Brom and Villa and Fulham have Palace, Spurs, and Liverpool.

“I think that next game where Fulham go to Palace away and Newcastle have Wolves, they can really close the gap there.

“Up in Newcastle, when the pressure is on, the pressure is really on.

“I know the fans aren’t in the stadium but you still feel it because it is a massive club.

“I do fear for them and I don’t want to say that. But Fulham are a team on the up and Newcastle are a team that are really struggling at the moment.”

Since Callum Wilson went down injured, Newcastle have lost both matches. While they were tough fixtures at Chelsea and Manchester United, he was such an important part of this team. Newcastle just don’t have a player in the squad that can make up for such an obvious void.

It could be argued the loss of Wilson is the biggest loss any club in the bottom half of the table could have suffered. Though Wolves may have something to say as the head injury to Raul Jiminez in late November derailed their season. However, they brought in Willian Jose in January, and while he hasn’t scored, they’ve lost just once since he arrived.

If Newcastle are to keep Fulham in the rearview, they are going to have to do it without Wilson for next month or so. While the sample size is limited and they were against top clubs, we’ve lost all four league matches Wilson has not played in.

So we need someone to step into Wilson’s void as the next two matches are absolutely critical for this club.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 3-1 Defeat At Manchester United?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:45 PM

Hahaha quality mate

Well I for one have really enjoyed your inclusion on the blog mate.

Your a top lad I don’t know you but your a top lad and come across really well.

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:47 PM

That was for Carson

• Carson80

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:48 PM

Cheers Mund appreciate that, hey just think won’t be long before I start being accused of being one of your alts lol.

• lesh

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:49 PM

That Brighton result should help motivate our players.

If Mr Motivator screws his loaf, he can use catching and overtaking Brighton as a target. That could be more effective than aiming to get away from the bottom three.

Yes, some would say they’re one and the same targets but the difference is subtle, if presented in the right way – one gives a positive target to get to, the other’s almost negative – escape, one to get away from.

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:51 PM

Carson

Aye mate no doubt haha

You get lost with accusation of Alts in this place mate 🙄

• lesh

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:51 PM

Carson

Jane’s got the monopoly on alts – he’s used four that I know of.

• Carson80

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:52 PM

VanToonman good team that, except I would swap Lewis in for Ritchie.

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:53 PM

Lesh

I’m hoping by the time we play Brighton we will have 7 points earned.

Big ask that for two wins and a draw out of the next four with how the form has been but I truly believe we will be ok. Time will tell and up next is Wolves and shouldn’t be thinking anything other than 3 points.

• Carson80

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:55 PM

Lesh in that case Jane is the Billy Gunn of the blog instead of the ass man, she’s the alt man.
    By the way if anyone is wondering what the hell I’m on about just Google Billy Gunn and WWF.

• ilovetoon8788

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:56 PM

Fulham i expect them to get atleast 12 points from the remaining games.

which means we need atleast 12 points from our remaining games to stay up.
    our next 4 games are KEY.

we need to win atleast THREE out of the next 4.

i really can’t see us staying up.

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:57 PM

Macho Man was the best for me. Loved the Ultimate Warrior but later in life when you found out how much of a prick he was kinda ruined it.

Long live the attitude era!

• lesh

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:58 PM

Mund

It’s a pity Bruce couldn’t be forced to stay away from the players and let Jones stand in for him.

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:58 PM

Ilovetoon

Have you saw Fulham’s next four?

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:59 PM

Lesh

As long as Jones can be a positive influence couldn’t care less where Bruce stood. We need some passion and fight not just from the players but the bloody staff as well.

Enough is enough show some tight

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:59 PM

Fight*

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:00 PM

The pressing was great to see in the first half against Man Utd but all it takes is for 1 or 2 players to stop doing it and the other team are in its happened against Palace and Man Utd now where we started both games well

Wolves tend to like playing teams who press as they are great at counter attacking they struggle against teams who sit deep as they run out of ideas

I do think its time we broke up the ASM and Lewis partnership they are not on the same wavelength Lewis is scared to break forward as ASM doesn’t pass to him or loses it and then he never tracks back leaving Lewis outnumbered

I would actually like to see a more solid left hand side with Fraser as the LW and either Dummett or Richie as the left back I think you would get a partnership that would put the work in and would still create chances would also be a bit more solid! Lewis and ASM lose possession a lot so we wouldn’t be losing too much from that

Then I would like to see Murphy on the right wing I think this would give Krafth a bit more help and also make us more solid

Then Almiron as no 10 with Joelinton or ASM beside him with the other one to be used as impact sub

Willock and Hayden behind them with Shelvey out

Gives us more work rate and legs in the whole team

• lesh

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:01 PM

Carson

Sorry, Billy Gunn?

• lesh

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:03 PM

Mund

I get the impression Bruce has a negative effect on the squad. His absence could just make the difference to morale

• Adamn_92

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:07 PM

Didn’t want to comment but can’t resist:

‘You get lost with accusation of Alts in this place mate
    ?’

Pot kettle black much?

Ok done now and won’t chip in again 🙂

• Great White Hunter

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:08 PM

As you may be aware I dislike Bruce as much as anyone on the blog, but, now is the time for the players to stand up and be counted. They should forget contract,managerial issues etc….and get together and man up till the end of the season, just give it a go for the fans. Rant over.

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:09 PM

Or “Foot”

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:09 PM

Lesh

With him gone it would help us enormously and I doubt there is one single fan who is happy to stick with Bruce.

Ashley is a gambler or maybe he has already struck a deal in case of the the worst case scenario, who knows.

He doesn’t want to be here beyond this season he has hardly been anywhere near the club throughout this year and left it all in the very capable hands of Charnley 🙄

• ilovetoon8788

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:09 PM

Mund

doesn’t matter fulham next 4. i see them gaining about 12 more points of all their remaining games.

which means we also need another 12 points to be clear of fulham. and our only winnable games to get to 12 points, is in our next 4. after that, we have some horrible run ins.

we need to win atleast 3 out of our next 4 to scrap survival.

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:10 PM

Adamn beware the Invegan of the Burgersnatchers will begin again…..:)

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:11 PM

Opinions Adam they are like arseholes! Everyone has one

Let’s not bring that up eh and what happened to my opinion meaning naff all?

You already showed your true colours with me so asking politely stay out of my business

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:11 PM

I do see us playing a cup final last day with Fulham needing only a point to go above us on GD. After that Villa debacle I don’t think I could take it

• Northumbrian

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:12 PM

If Fulham only get 12 from their remaining games then we only need 10.

• Great White Hunter

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:12 PM

Mind #54. Sorry mate, did,nt realise your post mentioning similar points, players trying harder etc…… cheers.

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:12 PM

I always believe that everyone is entitled to my opinion of course 🙂

That’s a cracker ha ha

• Adamn_92

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:15 PM

Mund

Fully happy to keep out of each others business still, just couldn’t let that slide as it was a little more than just an opinion and very hypocritical to talk about alt calling when i was on the receiving end from you. Couldn’t let that one slide by sorry, i’ll go back to not commenting or mentioning your stuff again now.

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:16 PM

GWH

All good mate as it makes total sense as we all have lost faith in Bruce so it’s time for the 11 lads on the field and the captain to step up and show some fight.

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:16 PM

Adam my opinion has never changed now off you trot

• Adamn_92

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:17 PM

I think regardless of fulhams next 4 and our next 4, they look more likely to get the points required than we do between now and the end of the season. Fully hope i’m wrong but going by form, stats and overall feeling around the clubs, that’s just how it looks and feels right now.

• TheTinman

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:18 PM

Mund @20,

I told you the comment which I was referring too. I’ve not said a bad word about you since you’ve been back on, even this morning I didn’t say a bad word about you. I thought it had been left at that.

Why are you dragging my name up saying I need to prove something?

• Adamn_92

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:19 PM

Never said it has mund, just pointed out the fact that it’s hypocritical to mention alt calling when you yourself have done it.

I’ll skip off thank you 🙂

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:21 PM

Ilovetoon

You are looking at it from the perspective of now but that could all change.

Say Fulham beat Palace we beat Wolves it will be back to 3 points. If we then can go on to our next game at West Brom which we have to pick something up and say get a win and then a draw at home to Villa and let’s say with Fulham’s next 3 games after Palace which are all very tough games which I doubt they will get much from if anything at all.

Let’s say they don’t pick any more points up in the next 3 after palace and we pick up the points we mentioned that’s back to a 8 point cushion and mindsets will be completely different than what they are now

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:22 PM

Mind Burnley are not safe could get dragged into it
    Next four games
    Spuds
    Arsenal
    Leicester and Everton

• DrGloom

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:22 PM

Mund – don’t bite mate, does it really matter
    Think most appreciate your view as well as OPs etc

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:23 PM

Not hypocritical if it’s the truth!

Tinman

You said I came on which looked like some kind of agenda? How am I supposed to react when you said that?

There is no agenda from me and there never has been.

I just said can we try and be positive I wasn’t forcing anything on anyone, then you say I had an agenda which rattled me a bit as I clearly don’t and it’s not a nice thing to be said to yourself.

• DrGloom

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:24 PM

And thats coming from me who even has a moniker of Gloom 😀