web analytics

Former Magpie Expresses Legitimate Concern About Newcastle’s Situation

Newcastle’s tenuous situation has many fans anxiously watching results from around the league and wondering what impact they will have on our fight against relegation. Last night there was a match of interest as Brighton hosted Crystal Palace.

At kick-off, Brighton sat just one place and one point above us in the table while the Eagles were four points and in 14th. So both clubs were realistically still in the mire despite being better off than Newcastle.

Well, Crystal Palace snagged two goals from nothing to defeat Brighton with strikes from new signing Jean-Philippe Mateta and Christian Benteke, whose outstanding finish came in the final minute of stoppage time. Mateta did his best Ayoze Perez impersonation with a nifty backheel in the first half, which was his first goal since signing for Palace in January.

That result keeps Brighton, who dominated possession and had 25 shots with only one finding the target, firmly in the relegation muck along with Newcastle. So we suppose it was a decent result for us despite Crystal Palace now seeming safe. They take on Fulham at Selhurst Park on Sunday.

Results from teams around us should be irrelevant as Newcastle need to be masters of their own fate. Wins are what will keep us in this league by season’s end. However, going on our recent run, wins are an elusive beast for the Magpies. Actually, points are.

Over the last 14 matches in the league, we’ve picked up just two victories. Even worse is we haven’t been drawing matches like Fulham have. Over this horrid 14 match stretch, we’ve lost 10 of them. So we’ve amassed just 8 points from 42 available. It’s no wonder we’re in this mess.

Picking up results was already a monumental task from this year’s group. Gone are the unlikely results, like Crystal Palace had last night, where we play awful but find a way to get points like Chelsea at home or Everton away from last season.

This year our record is a better reflection of our form, which until around three weeks ago, was just shockingly dreadful. So it doesn’t look good at the moment. Concerns are starting to be voiced from the media and former players.

One of those is Danny Simpson, who while Newcastle were last in this mess under Steve McClaren, was winning the league with Leicester City. However, Danny joined Newcastle, initially on loan, in the summer of 2009 when we had just gone down the first time under Ashley.

So he’s well versed in this era of Newcastle. The Chronicle has published the following comments Simpson, who is now a free agent, made to the BBC about his concerns for his former club:

“I am [worried about them].

“I don’t want to say that because I have some great memories from that club, I still follow them and I like Steve Bruce.

“But I think Callum Wilson is a massive miss and you look at the next few fixtures where Newcastle have Wolves, West Brom and Villa and Fulham have Palace, Spurs, and Liverpool.

“I think that next game where Fulham go to Palace away and Newcastle have Wolves, they can really close the gap there.

“Up in Newcastle, when the pressure is on, the pressure is really on.

“I know the fans aren’t in the stadium but you still feel it because it is a massive club.

“I do fear for them and I don’t want to say that. But Fulham are a team on the up and Newcastle are a team that are really struggling at the moment.”

Since Callum Wilson went down injured, Newcastle have lost both matches. While they were tough fixtures at Chelsea and Manchester United, he was such an important part of this team. Newcastle just don’t have a player in the squad that can make up for such an obvious void.

It could be argued the loss of Wilson is the biggest loss any club in the bottom half of the table could have suffered. Though Wolves may have something to say as the head injury to Raul Jiminez in late November derailed their season. However, they brought in Willian Jose in January, and while he hasn’t scored, they’ve lost just once since he arrived.

If Newcastle are to keep Fulham in the rearview, they are going to have to do it without Wilson for next month or so. While the sample size is limited and they were against top clubs, we’ve lost all four league matches Wilson has not played in.

So we need someone to step into Wilson’s void as the next two matches are absolutely critical for this club.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 3-1 Defeat At Manchester United?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:25 PM

Plus Wolves are a different proposition they like to counter attack like us
    In the past few games cancelled each other out
    If we play a high pressing then if all not singing from same hymn sheet could spell trouble

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:25 PM

Cheers Gloom appreciate it

I just won’t allow people to spread hate and lies about me mate. What type of man would I be to stand there and allow that?

• Adamn_92

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:27 PM

Literally couldn’t be proven anymore that it isn’t the truth? Forget it. Didn’t need to be a discussion, ‘alt calling’ was what was said not ‘alt proving’ so claiming someone is an alt and then talking about how people call out people for having alts on here, is hypocritical. That’s just a fact. No need to discuss further and i’ll end my part of the conversation here as it’ll be a dumb back and forth and boring for all.

Could well be that the last spot to go down ends up not being a 2 horse race between us and Fulham, lots can happen between now and the end of the season. I’m sadly in a view of not high hopes, but remain wishing i’m wrong.

• DrGloom

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:29 PM

We just need to get some wins, even draws would help between now and end of season

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:31 PM

Oh gawwwwd I’ll stop now but then I’ll post two more times…. 🙄

• Carson80

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:32 PM

I liken this blog to the last two Avengers films, bit of infighting but then realise who the enemy is Ashley (Thanos) and we all have to come together to defeat him. Iron Man dying at the end represents all the Toon fans who have died of Covid etc or committed suicide R I P to all of them.
    Apologies if that got everyone all emotional.

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:33 PM

Nothing has been proved ffs! When and how?

Leave it fella you don’t want to be bringing that back up unless ofc you want the attention which I believe you do or you wouldn’t of come to me with your little wry smile at home asking for an apology which I gave and then throw my opinion in my face.

True colours fella seen you for exactly who you were there.

Now stop trying to get attention and be relevant

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:34 PM

Carson

But Thanos was right to do what he wanted to do mate as much as I am all for team avengers if anyone of them lived his life I think they would of made the same sacrifice.

Oh my just realised speaking like it’s real life lol

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:40 PM

Nile Ranger been picked up by Southend

• DrGloom

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:42 PM

Miunster – disagree, toon22 has actually had some decent posts recently actually talking about the football / team.

To be fair he’s been consistent on the Ashley front and proved correct thus far ( even if it is sometimes monotonous 😀

• Tackle from behind

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:43 PM

There’s a few front runners gone out early in their quest for the LWS yellow jersey, but the peloton isn’t too far behind and we expect they will rain them in when we get to the Rafabruce mountain stage.
    Then there’s the final sprint down takeover saga road to the finish line.

Perhaps setting out too early in a high alts gear is the wrong tactic in this heat, so they may be hoping for a little Joelinton/Carroll rain to come.

Join us later to see if we can find a winner or forget it and just have a fry up.

• Carson80

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:45 PM

True Mund true and by the way it is real lol.

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:47 PM

Carson

I always hated that when people said but it’s not real! Ok it’s scripted but the moves are real! The pain and injuries that they have suffered down the years are real! Because it is already chosen who wins doesn’t mean it’s not entertaining as some stuff was brilliant down the years. Especially the attitude era but nowadays it’s all PG rated and couldn’t be worse IMO

• Carson80

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:47 PM

Tackle already had me mixed grill and pint of San Miguel mate.

• Tackle from behind

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:47 PM

Carson

I’m sure you could manage another.

• Adamn_92

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:49 PM

Good way of predicting what scores you think they’ll be and how that’ll make the table look at the end of the season

• Adamn_92

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:49 PM

*there’ll

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:50 PM

Just had my C19 jag at a Centre of Life
    Like clockwork

• Carson80

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:52 PM

Mund ain’t watched it since the Undertaker lost his streak to Brock Lesssssnar. But for me it lost its sparkle towards the end of the 2000’s and as you say coincided with the PG era and panders far too much to the kids. Nice to see fellow bloggers with the same interests.

• Carson80

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:54 PM

Tackle yeah you’re right, if it’s a meal I enjoy I can eat it in minutes and can quite easily eat another, anyhow i’l shut up now as I’m probably boring everyone.

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:55 PM

Carson funny enough mate that was my last time I took an interest in it and tbf wasn’t going to miss the Undertaker lose his streak!!

• Moonraker15

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:57 PM

If Fulham get 12 points from thei games, we need 10 not 12 ! So 3 wins and 1 draw or 2 wins and 4 draws.
    Only trouble is I expect Fulham to get 14 points so we’ll need 12. If we can’t get 12 from a possible 39 we deserve to go down!

• Moonraker15

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:01 PM

Mund
    Nile Ranger is on a strict pay as you play contract with behaviour clauses in it.
    He’s a wrong ‘un and will never change! Pity cos he was a good footballer !

• Tackle from behind

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:01 PM

Moonraker

The fact that we’ve only managed 6 points from the possible 42 in our current run should make the owner take action.

Unless he has more pressing business selling sandals to the men in cassocks.

• Adamn_92

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:01 PM

Using that link i posted, I done every week of results without looking at the table until the end. It ended up finishing like:

15th Fulham 37 points
    16th Burnley 34 points
    17th Brighton 31 points gd: -22
    18th Newcastle 31 points gd: -35
    19th West Brom 17 points
    20th Sheffield Utd 13 points

Probably wayyyyy off and lets hope i’m really wrong haha I doubt Fulham will get 15 points and hope we get more than 6 so i must have got some crazy results in my precitions! Interesting predicting results week by week though and seeing the end result.

• TheTinman

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:02 PM

Mund, I think you are misconstruing the way in which I was using the word agenda. I can see it has hit a nerve and I apologise for that, it was not my intention.

The point I am making is why are you name dropping me saying I need to provide proof of something? I told you the comment I was referring to and that was it. There’s nothing I need to prove, I don’t get it

• TheTinman

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:03 PM

Adam, I often use something similar think it was on the BBC. But I think it is too early for all that. I’ll try and hold off looking at it until there is about 5 games to go.

• Adamn_92

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:06 PM

TheTinman

Yeah doing it this early is always going to be wildly off you’d imagine. Still interesting to put all your predictions in though and see how it would all look. With 5 games left would probably be a more accurate and better time to do it. I’m fully not expecting the table that mine generated to be close to the actual end table.

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:08 PM

Moonraker

Aye it was a shame with him as he certainly had talent but it wasn’t to be and he never realised what an absolute golden opportunity he had in his life. He will one day tho.

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:09 PM

Tinman

I’m sorry too as I obviously took it the wrong way.

When you mentioned agenda it felt like an attack but that’s clear I got it wrong now.

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:11 PM

Bryan Swanson
    @skysports_bryan
    24m
    LATEST: Premier League yet to decide whether fans will be allowed back for final game of season on May 23. Clubs to be consulted on sporting integrity etc. #SSN #COVID19

• Moonraker15

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:13 PM

Charlie
    We’ve got to get the tactics spot on against Wolves otherwise we’ll be torn apart by Adama Traore and Netto.
    If we get it right we can win that one!
    We need Dubs back and if Bruce picks Darlow again he’s totally lost it!
    We need Miggy and Fraser playing wide to back up the full backs.
    I think Bonna will have this sussed but will Bruce go with his plan or listen to the 2 amigos?

• Tackle from behind

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:14 PM

Absolutely wrong to allow fans back in for 1 game.

Unfair advantage for the home team.

Also pointless to spend the time and effort in getting the stadium prepared for 1 game and then have to mothball again for 3 months.

Let the season run it’s course as it has from the start, then, if safe, start next season with limited fans.

• TheTinman

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:16 PM

It’s easy for these things to happen when it is just written. Communication is supposed to be 7% (verbal) what was said, 38% (vocal) how it was said and 55% (visual) body language / facial expression. That’s why it is so easy to misunderstand each other on places like this!!

• TheTinman

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:19 PM

Tackle agree with everything you’ve said there. It would be so unfair if we played Fulham in a winner stays up game

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:19 PM

Tinman

Agreed as most things said could be took numerous ways.

My bad I already had my back up and responded that way.

• Tyran21

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:26 PM

It’s impossible to predict how many points Fulham will get. Can’t remember if it is Alex Ferguson or someone else said, teams in relegation battle are hardest to beat.

• Munster Mag

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:28 PM

Gloom, 22 just repeats the same tripe day in day out. He thinks Ashley doesn’t want to sell, despite all the legal stuff going on. He then tells cartoon about supporting in person. He’s full of pointless Ashley noise that we don’t need to keep hearing. And he’s wrong on the sale. Fats wants out.

• Munster Mag

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:31 PM

Rotonda, just to clarify, wishing Fulham to win was either very drunk or very stupid. More to the point, as I said numerous times, it guarantees nothing about Ashley leaving.

• Ketsbaia9

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:33 PM

Simpson shouldn’t be talking. He is the worst right-back ever to play for the club and cost us points on regular occasions. We should have brought Debuchy in much earlier. Simpson and Williamson were complete liabilities. No wonder he can’t find another club. He’s absolutely useless.