web analytics

Former Magpie Expresses Legitimate Concern About Newcastle’s Situation

Newcastle’s tenuous situation has many fans anxiously watching results from around the league and wondering what impact they will have on our fight against relegation. Last night there was a match of interest as Brighton hosted Crystal Palace.

At kick-off, Brighton sat just one place and one point above us in the table while the Eagles were four points and in 14th. So both clubs were realistically still in the mire despite being better off than Newcastle.

Well, Crystal Palace snagged two goals from nothing to defeat Brighton with strikes from new signing Jean-Philippe Mateta and Christian Benteke, whose outstanding finish came in the final minute of stoppage time. Mateta did his best Ayoze Perez impersonation with a nifty backheel in the first half, which was his first goal since signing for Palace in January.

That result keeps Brighton, who dominated possession and had 25 shots with only one finding the target, firmly in the relegation muck along with Newcastle. So we suppose it was a decent result for us despite Crystal Palace now seeming safe. They take on Fulham at Selhurst Park on Sunday.

Results from teams around us should be irrelevant as Newcastle need to be masters of their own fate. Wins are what will keep us in this league by season’s end. However, going on our recent run, wins are an elusive beast for the Magpies. Actually, points are.

Over the last 14 matches in the league, we’ve picked up just two victories. Even worse is we haven’t been drawing matches like Fulham have. Over this horrid 14 match stretch, we’ve lost 10 of them. So we’ve amassed just 8 points from 42 available. It’s no wonder we’re in this mess.

Picking up results was already a monumental task from this year’s group. Gone are the unlikely results, like Crystal Palace had last night, where we play awful but find a way to get points like Chelsea at home or Everton away from last season.

This year our record is a better reflection of our form, which until around three weeks ago, was just shockingly dreadful. So it doesn’t look good at the moment. Concerns are starting to be voiced from the media and former players.

One of those is Danny Simpson, who while Newcastle were last in this mess under Steve McClaren, was winning the league with Leicester City. However, Danny joined Newcastle, initially on loan, in the summer of 2009 when we had just gone down the first time under Ashley.

So he’s well versed in this era of Newcastle. The Chronicle has published the following comments Simpson, who is now a free agent, made to the BBC about his concerns for his former club:

“I am [worried about them].

“I don’t want to say that because I have some great memories from that club, I still follow them and I like Steve Bruce.

“But I think Callum Wilson is a massive miss and you look at the next few fixtures where Newcastle have Wolves, West Brom and Villa and Fulham have Palace, Spurs, and Liverpool.

“I think that next game where Fulham go to Palace away and Newcastle have Wolves, they can really close the gap there.

“Up in Newcastle, when the pressure is on, the pressure is really on.

“I know the fans aren’t in the stadium but you still feel it because it is a massive club.

“I do fear for them and I don’t want to say that. But Fulham are a team on the up and Newcastle are a team that are really struggling at the moment.”

Since Callum Wilson went down injured, Newcastle have lost both matches. While they were tough fixtures at Chelsea and Manchester United, he was such an important part of this team. Newcastle just don’t have a player in the squad that can make up for such an obvious void.

It could be argued the loss of Wilson is the biggest loss any club in the bottom half of the table could have suffered. Though Wolves may have something to say as the head injury to Raul Jiminez in late November derailed their season. However, they brought in Willian Jose in January, and while he hasn’t scored, they’ve lost just once since he arrived.

If Newcastle are to keep Fulham in the rearview, they are going to have to do it without Wilson for next month or so. While the sample size is limited and they were against top clubs, we’ve lost all four league matches Wilson has not played in.

So we need someone to step into Wilson’s void as the next two matches are absolutely critical for this club.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 3-1 Defeat At Manchester United?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:37 PM

I don’t think I will win the LWS trophy.

• Tackle from behind

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:38 PM

Whoever invented the phrase “you couldn’t make it up” hadn’t accounted for wor Kets.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:44 PM

Munster,
    I’ve just stopped at Kirby Stephen and caught up on the blog. This is at least the third time just today that you have mentioned some guy wanting Fulham today and at least half a dozen since he said it. If the same poster brought up your sycophantic support of Steve Bruce half a dozen times a day, don’t you think people would get sick of hearing about it.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:45 PM

*Fulham to win

• Tackle from behind

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:45 PM

• geordie157

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:47 PM

I think it’s now time to give Dubravka a chance.

Fraser to start vs Wolves instead of Joelinton. Wolves have improved but are struggling for goals, we need the win but I’d take a point from this one. Although a win would drag Wolves, Palace back into the scrap if Fulham won too.

Hard to call but I still think we’ll survive, just! With Brighton playing nice football but getting mostly draws instead of wins.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:47 PM

Mund

I could be totally wrong but you seem to copy and paste from twitter re – the takeover and post on here every day.

Hate is a very strong word. I very much doubt anyone ”hates” you, we’re adults not 14 year olds.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:50 PM

Adam

Traore and neto v kraft and lewis is terrifying.

• toon22

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:53 PM

I think we can all agree the hate anyone feels here is for Jabba
    Maybe his goons too
    Bit mostly the parasite

• Munster Mag

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:54 PM

It was worth clarifying Jail, my point stands, loud and proud, despite some goons on here trying to back the guy up, because i disagreed with him.

And please, the Bruce stuff is silly. I want him out as much as you.

I hope Kirby Stephen, wherever that is, is nice.

• Adamn_92

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:56 PM

Rotonda

It’s got disaster written all over it hasn’t it? Krafth, slow and seems to get sold by a trick fairly easily. Lewis, not strong and not great positional awareness. Could be an awful 90 minutes for our full backs.

• onmeedsun

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:56 PM

Wolves – if they have Traore and Neto on the pitch I fear that our full backs will be massively exposed.

Everton stadium – they had an owner in Kenwright who loves his club and spend years looking to pass it on at a sensible price to a sugar daddy who would invest in the club and love it the same.
    We had 2 greedy self serving Geordies who were only interested in money and not legacy.

Fans in grounds on last day. Simples. Make if 50/50 for home & away support.

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:02 PM

Loud will do.

• lochinvar

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:08 PM

Probability is that if they don’t do this they will find it hard to police 30,000 Geordies singing their heads off outside the Fulham ground

The Premier League could block supporters from attending matches on the final day of the season due to concerns over sporting integrity.

As part of Boris Johnson’s announcement yesterday regarding a roadmap out of lockdown, up to 10,000 fans or 25 per cent of a stadium’s capacity (whichever is smallest) could attend sporting events from May 17.
    That would make the final day of the Premier League season – May 23 – as marking the return of supporters inside football stadiums.
    But latest reports state that the Premier League has yet to decide whether fans will be allowed back in, with ‘clubs to be consulted on sporting integrity issues.’

• Tackle from behind

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:12 PM

Fulham’s Craven Cottage ground has a capacity of 25,700

Outside venues will be allowed up to 4000 people or 10000 people for venues of at least 40,000 capacity

So only 4000 would be allowed at the Fulham game.

Even with a 50/50 split, that’s just 2000 fans each – pointless waste of set up and man power to staff it, police it and transport to and from it.

We’ve been offered a slow, steady and risk assessed way out of the lockdown and already peoples idea of the slow release resembles a cork leaving a champagne bottle.

• lochinvar

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:16 PM

Makes Ashley seem like a walk on bit part actor with no lines

• Rotonda heights

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:16 PM

Munster

I think the goon comment was a tad unnecessary. I was just clarifying that Dougie had only said he would take relegation if it guaranteed that was the end of Ashley. It was a ”hypothetical” statement as of course we can’t guarantee that would be the case.

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:32 PM

Rotonda

I said dislike not hate and it’s clear and many have said so already. I’m not bothered one bit if someone doesn’t like me as that sounds like a there problem not mine.

I copy and paste links but when did I ever say I take them as gospel?

Most the time it’s for you or anyone else to make there mind up as I’ve never said it’s gospel not once.

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:42 PM

I also post plenty of other links with relevance to the club.

I know some don’t like my forever optimism that we will be born into a new era but let’s be clear I don’t do it to wind you all up that happens on its own, I do it because like I say I want to believe in a better future and there’s nothing wrong with that!

I’ve said many times I won’t change my way not for anyone, so if you like to read my posts carry on but if it actually grates on you then please skip.

• Optimistic prime

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:43 PM

I posted some decent articles on the breakfast shift to help the day shift get going, what happened?

Do I need a tin hat?

Perception lads and lasses, we may need to start adding disclaimers to our posts if this continues.

Some think Mund is overly positive, some think I’m overly negative, in reality we’re probably closer to singing the same tune than is made out.

I have thought recently about using certain words, so I don’t inflame the situation, or if something can be misinterpreted, I’m trying not to instigate, as best I can.

We all want Bruce out, all want Ashley out, all want a takeover, all want the same but say it different.

If we all had the same opinion, said it the same way, the blog would be pointless.

Carry on debating and arguing, just no insults and arguing.

Anyway, biggest thing I took from the Jacobs interview, is how insiders use journalists to get info into the public domain.

Fishing, so to speak.

In a way I wish I hadn’t heard him say it, as now I’m second guessing every story linked with takeover and Bruce.

• Optimistic prime

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:45 PM

Insults and name calling

• captainmarvel

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:47 PM

Well said OP..ATB

• TheTinman

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:47 PM

“DeAndre Yedlin shocks NUFC fans with stunning assist to send Galatasaray top”

Actually nobody really cares, Yedlin was a liability in defence and did little in attack. One lucky assist isn’t going to change that. If it wasn’t for Manq being injured we would have already forgotten his name

• Regan

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:47 PM

CARSON…..

Now let’s be frank here..

You’re a funny fella..

A good addition to the blog mate….keep it up..

• TheTinman

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:52 PM

Traore this season, 24 games, 0 goals, 1 assist.

We don’t need to fear him or Wolves.

Wolves have scored 15 goals in 15 games since Jiminez was injured. Wolves? Poodles more like.

• Optimistic prime

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:52 PM

I’m thinking of a transfer to California or Australia, nightshift seem to be slacking of late, think I’m needed to liven things up.

Too much noise on day shift and it’s lonely on breakfast.

Who do I give my transfer request too?

• Tsunki

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:55 PM

You’re contracted here until 2025 OP

You’re going nowhere.

• hibbit

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:57 PM

• Adamn_92

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:58 PM

TheTinman

If you look at our stats all season I think we need to be fearful of everyone haha

• Mund

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:59 PM

Good post OP

• onmeedsun

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:59 PM

Tin man
    I thought Yedlin could have improved as a player, defence and attack, with a good coach getting inside his head. You can’t coach pace and he had that, but you can coach football decision making.
    He will be another player to add to the list who we binned as not good enough but who go on to win silverware. Like Danny Simpson. And it’s a big long list. That reminds us how poor our own football decision making is.

• TheTinman

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:00 PM

hibbit, that is speculation but might be some truth in it. He didn’t come to sit on the bench did he! And we’re lacking in goals, he must be wondering why he isn’t getting more gametime.

• Carson80

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:02 PM

Just got back from a walk with the bairns, oldest has a school project about spring to do, got checklists to tick off things we’ve seen, get to the end of the walk and the wind blows the checklists out of their hands, oh dear they weren’t happy.
    Cheers Regan, kind of you to say so, good to see you back on here as well.

• Carson80

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:05 PM

Bruce reminds me of Peter Jay, wondrr if his training sessions consist of him whacking the ball as far as he can and saying “HAVE IT”.

• Carson80

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:07 PM

Peter Kay ffs

• hibbit

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:08 PM

TheTinman he has to be looking a how we’re playing a the moment and the performances of players that are keeping him out of the team and wondering why ???
    i believe there could be a lot of truth in the article 😯

• hibbit

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:09 PM

*****at******

• TheTinman

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:10 PM

Simpson was a steady eddie and at the time most fans wanted more. As we were looking to push on. Most would have him now as our RB position has been weak since Janmaat and Debuchy left. The title win with Leicester was a very rare event.

Yedlin had / has no brain. His positioning was awful. His defending was good on the counter attack as there was space to recover. But if the attack has been built up and pace is taken out of it he was beaten time and time again.

• captainmarvel

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:11 PM

Perhaps Fraser should be given Wilson’s place in attack, give him some responsibility I think it could suit him, make a name for himself….

• Optimistic prime

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:12 PM

Quite a few are picking up on the Maguire incident.

If its as blatant as many are saying, why is there no retrospective action?

Fair enough, we’ve lucked out, why should he get away with it?

Red, 3 match ban for violent conduct.

Not what we should’ve got, yet I’d be happy with that outcome.