web analytics

Magpie Scores Again On International Duty As He Hopes To Impress During Newcastle’s Final Run

After scoring in Scotland’s 1-1 draw at Isreal over the weekend, Ryan Fraser found the net again last night as Scotland downed the Faroe Islands 4-0 for their first win in World Cup Qualifying. They also drew 2-2 at Austria last week in which Ryan did not play.

Fraser starred in a new role for his country last night. Scotland head coach Steve Clark asked the 26-year-old to play right wing-bac. It worked wonders as Scotland kept a clean sheet and Ryan headed in their final goal of the night.

After the match, Ryan gave an interview about the big win. It can be seen in this YouTube video.

One of the first questions posed to Fraser was about playing right wing-back as Scotland were set up in a 3-5-2. This is what Ryan said about playing in the slightly unfamiliar role:

“I ain’t played right wing-back in about four years if I’m going to be honest. So when the gaffer asked me to do it, I’ll play anywhere he wants me to play.

“I think that’s why we’re doing so well. It’s because everyone wants to play for the manager and when you want to play for the manager, you’ll do anything for him. You’ll run through brick walls for him.

“When he asked me to play right wing-back, it was never going to be no. So I just gave it my all and, obviously, I’m just happy to get the goal and the win at the end of the day.

“I’ve never said it but I’m buzzing to get the clean sheet as well, which I never thought I’d say as well. It’s nice.”

Those are some interesting comments from Ryan about running through brick walls for his manager. That is precisely what will be required from Newcastle over the next nine matches for us to survive. If not for the manager, then at least for the club and its fans.

A follow-up response from Ryan did reveal that he has Newcastle on his mind. He was later asked about Scotland’s next match, which will be during this summer’s European Championships against the Czech Republic.

The winger was not thinking that far ahead just yet. This was Fraser’s response when asked if he felt playing in The Euros in June would be an incredible occasion:

“Yes, 100%. I need to try and get there first. We’ve still got, what is it, nine games or something like that, the rest of the season, two-and-a-half months.

“I need to try and go back and play and do well, and hopefully, the manager picks me.

“I don’t want to just come along. I want to be in the starting eleven for that first game in the summer so I’ll do everything I can.”

Fraser has made 22 appearances for Newcastle so far this season with a goal and 3 assists. However, starts have been hard to come by. While he has started the last three matches since Allan Saint-Maximin was injured, that only brought his total number of starts in the league to 9.

Ryan should get another shot on Sunday against Tottenham with Allan likey only to return as a substitute. Newcastle could certainly use some goals from Ryan over the last nine matches. Hopefully, we’ll see a lot more from him in the coming weeks.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Tottenham On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• JohnJ

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:47 PM

Regan & Wor B,

It was just a fluke that I met my wife. I used to work as a Motor Mechanic and there was a lass who worked in the stores who I’d asked out but she told me she was courting but had a nice friend who she was seeing that night in The Avenue.

The rest as they say is history. I’ve been very glad of her company during these Covid-19 times and we’ve felt very sympathetic for all those having to cope alone.

• JohnJ

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:50 PM

Bread buns,
    Stotties,
    Ham & Pease Pudding Sarnies

🙂 🙂 🙂

• Regan

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:51 PM

Well said John j..

Let’s hope they get through it mate..

• JohnJ

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:57 PM

Well,

I have a sneaking fancy for us to pinch a 1 – 0 win on Sunday although not enough to put money on it.

! had a brilliant dream last night that Rafa had come back to Newcastle United at Team Manager and he’d put Mr Bruce in charge of cleaning the boots of the 3rd team!

• Adamn_92

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:57 PM

Jail

Apologies I must have missed it, but yeah I imagine one or two of them will likely play but probably won’t be 100%. So we really should be looking to set up to take advantage of that and attack them, Murphy one side and potentially Fraser the other. Collymore is likely right on the money, I don’t think i’ve ever heard Bruce break a game down. Instead makes excuses or throws a player or two under the bus. I just think Bruce has a real issue with people questioning him because he doesn’t have the answers. That’s why he interrupts people interviewing him before they’ve finished their question, why he won’t allegedly tell players himself when they’re dropped and why journalists don’t get to ask any pressing questions.

• Wor B

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:00 PM

JonhJ

Canny dream mate, do you get your stuff over the counter?

😀

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:10 PM

Talking about twitter, just seen this and it seriously tickled me:
    “Hi, I’m Kinell, a grown man who has only just realised I can take a small jug of water and fill the ice cube tray next to the freezer, as opposed to filling it off the tap and carrying it over to the freezer spilling it everywhere like a cn#&”

30K+ hearts, proper ones as well so it must have tickled a few people.

• Carson80

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:10 PM

Johnj have you been eating too much cheese.
    Nice dream though and I hope Bruce was having to lick those boots clean as punishment for bringing being a manager into disrepute.

• magscar

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:10 PM

John J

Whitley has ben through a few changes ( not all for better) since the days when i used to court Wor Lass – met at The Rex Hotel at Saturday night dances with local bands but sometimes better known ones – saw Troggs there and may be Love Affair ( not ny cup of tea)

Used to drink at The Fat Ox in Lounge when with her but with mates Briarden, Station? Victoria.and if someoe had a car the Beehive,.

Many mates used to start Saturdays at The Sov (ereign) at Tynemouth but it was too crowded for my tastes ( wor lass used to go there with a friend before we met) and I even got banned for having long hair !!! in 60’s (not mine bit thinner now but the decade). Their loss – haha

Don’t think got in The Avenue much – maybe odd time. What was that pub across from City – a biker pub – didn’t get in there much either – now got a small supermarket on it I think

The Spanish city renovation is good but a pity the road has cut through what was the fairground – progress

We’ve stayed at new Premier Inn there couple of times -great for straight onto Prom. Not been up for more than a year – maybe this summer?

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:11 PM

JohnJ,
    Unfortunately I think we’re going to get tw@tted 0-4 🙁

• JohnJ

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:11 PM

My best ever dream was when I was in hospital in March ’69

I’d had surgery the day before and awoke to tell the lads on the ward that I’d had a dream that Newcastle had beaten Vitória Setúbal 5 – 1 in the snow at SJP!

The lads laughed at me saying it’s not even snowing but by lunch time it was and half of their players had never seen snow before! At KO time some of us went to a side room to listen to the game and when the final whistle went they said you should have put money on that result.

I was gutted not to have been able to get to the match but delighted they had won.

• magscar

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:15 PM

Jail

That’s a geat Life Hack – must try it – when Summer comes back – just leaving ice cube tray in back garden works fine for now

• carltoon

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:15 PM

I make peas pudding, it’s very easy.

• Tackle from behind

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:16 PM

Jail

If that person had half a brain they would realise that you don’t need a jug.

Just attach a hosepipe to your tap and it should be able to reach the freezer ice cube tray.

• carltoon

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:19 PM

Magscar, The Berkeley Tavern? I used to go when very young, first boyfriend had a motorbike. Remember everyone going over the road to a cafe to meet Ivan Mager! The speedway rider(world champion).

• JohnJ

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:21 PM

magscar

The pub near The City was The Berkeley but all the downstairs is now a Co-op I think the upstairs is still open though.

My favourite watering hole was The Tudor Lounge (part of The Avenue) spend many happy hours in there drinking McEwan’s best Scotch.

• carltoon

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:21 PM

Jail, ha ha, I’ll have to remember that.

• magscar

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:21 PM

John J

When reading the firts line my first thoiught was come on John how can you remember a dream that far back ( I think I had a NUFC dream/nightmare lst night but it’s all a haze !)

Then read the rest and I would have remembered it too for rest of my life.

However it did occur that you may have your days mixed up and the match had been on day before your surgery and then you actually dreamed that you had listened to the match afterwards in a side room – only teasing

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:22 PM

Adamn_92,
    All his post match comments could be attributed to any game, they’re worn out clichés like “we didn’t do enough on the ball or off it” “we gifted them possesion “we never took our chances and in the Premier league that costs you”
    It’s like he’s collected a book of quotes over the years and just blurts out what he thinks suits that particular game.

• carltoon

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:24 PM

John i was at that match, not that you could see the Gallowgate from where I stood. It was a blizzard.

• JohnJ

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:26 PM

Carltoon,

You’ll have to give me the info on that when you come to The Maggie Bank once the pubs and singing starts again.

Hope you are as well as can be!

• magscar

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:28 PM

John

That’s the one – didn’t realise that the buliding was still there but with the supermarket beneath.

I used to drink Tartan Bitter for a few months iwhen 18 ish ( agghh!!I know – the effect of S and N advertising on young minds) but then switched to Exhibition or Fed Spesh ( and bad heids) before discovering Real Ale whilst in London and it’s medicinal effect on headaches even after a sesh and not looked back

• carltoon

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:28 PM

Yes let me know when your playing, and me and me hubby will call in. Used to often go to the Maggie bank, if there was a good band on

• carltoon

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:30 PM

Magscar!!! I mentioned it first! :Roll:

• carltoon

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:30 PM

🙄

• JohnJ

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:31 PM

carltoon,

I was at the Semi against Rangers and The Final (1st Leg) at St James Park great games and great results.

What would we give to have those sort of days now eh? That what the knockers don’t get!!!

• Munster Mag

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:32 PM

Jeez Tuff really reads high brow newspapers. The Express must be where he learns about draining swamps.

• magscar

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:32 PM

Maggie Bank – not been in there for a few years not even on my trips back up

Lot of the pubs on way to Tynemouth from Shields have gone just maybe The Lodge left

Probably a few more gone when things open up again 🙁

• Adamn_92

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:32 PM

Jail

It’s embarrassing how he can get away with it too isn’t it? Nobody ever presses him further and just accepts the answer he’s given, which usually isn’t even an answer. Or nobody is allowed to ask him any pressing or serious questions so he can just get his little book of cliches out and pick whatever takes his fancy. The whole ‘mole’ in the club situation, it’s pretty obvious that it’s someone he shares team selection information with so that narrows it down massively to his coaching staff, doesn’t it? I would love for somebody to be able to hit him with that question.

• Not another deJong

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:32 PM

“We were definitely in the game, until they scored”

• geordietom

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:33 PM

so we all agree its buns 😀

• magscar

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:34 PM

Carltoon

Sorry – just saw John’s first …….but you’ve stirred my memories of Brough Park now

• Adamn_92

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:35 PM

As it’s the bank holiday I might make a drinking game up surrounding Bruce’s post match interview. A shot for every time he interrupts someone, see of your drink if he says ‘dust ourselves down’ a shot for every player he throws under the bus, see your drink off if he talks about seeing signs of improvements, see you drink off if he says ‘accumulation of points’ and shouting ‘oh f*** off!’ every time one of the pundits says he’s a nice bloke and doing a good job.

• carltoon

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:35 PM

What game was it when the Scottish side (Rangers) marched down from the Gallowgate onto the pitch, i was terrified.

• carltoon

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:35 PM

Scottish fans!

• Adamn_92

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:36 PM

* and shouting ‘oh f*** off’ and downing your drink everytime

• JohnJ

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:38 PM

I couldn’t get away with Fed or Exhibition but loved McEwan’s best scotch (80 shilling) I don’t ever eat cheese after being violently ill in London in my late teens so can’t blame my dream on that! I think it was to do with the pre op Anaesthetic.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:40 PM

I mentioned it last week but a contestant on Master Mind explained that Peas Pudding is made by exploding Marrowfat peas.

Something to make on Bon Fire night?

• geordietom

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:42 PM

alas dear yorick ,i knew him horatio , do thee call them buns dear yorick 😀

• Wor B

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:46 PM

JohnJ

You have to be careful what you say when the really attractive nurse who prepped you for theatre brings you out of anesthetic slumber.

Er, so I’ve heard anyway.

😉