web analytics

Pundit Cites The Absence Of The Toon Army In His Prediction For Tottenham At Newcastle

BBC pundit Mark Lawrenson has given his predictions for this weekend’s Premier League matches. He has Newcastle losing 2-0 to Spurs as St. James’ Park on Sunday.

Here is Lawro’s reasoning behind his prediction:

Newcastle badly need a lift and a win, but it is hard to see them getting either here. If fans were allowed into grounds then the Toon Army would be laying into the Magpies, and rightly so.

Tottenham have had their problems recently too, but they were decent in their win over Aston Villa last time out.

If Son Heung-min is fit then that will be a boost for Spurs, but I still think they will win this one without him.

Tottenham were eliminated from the Europa League after a 3-0 defeat at Dinamo Zagreb a few weeks ago. However, they followed that up with a solid 2-0 win at Aston Villa before the break. It seems the international break may have come at an opportune time for both clubs.

Lawrenson emphasizes the availability of Son Heung-min, who missed Tottenham’s 2-0 win at Aston Villa with a hamstring injury. Spurs have posted images of Son training during Thursday’s session so the South Korean could be available for Sunday.

Newcastle also could get a boost with the return of both Callum Wilson and Allan Saint-Maximin. Both players are back in training with Wilson potentially in line to start on Sunday.

While a win seems unlikely on Sunday, the minimum expectation is a fighting performance from the lads. If Newcastle fail to show up, as was the case at Brighton before the break, then the evidence is beyond reproach that Steve Bruce has lost this squad and needs to be replaced.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Tottenham On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Uncertain Toon/World

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:27 AM

NY,

Most popular lager in England, the posh lads don’t know what they’re missing, although I do like other grog, most of it in fact 🙂

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:29 AM

Happy Easter everyone although I’ve never understood that if Mr Christ was born on Christmas day how come he died on a different day each year. Also I think he was really unlucky being born on Christmas day as are a lot of kids because they miss out on a Birthday party as well, maybe that’s why he got in to religion 😕

• NY Mag

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:29 AM

Jail,

I’m sure today is not lost on you…..you’re miserable enough to begin with.

Get to work and you never know, we might actually get something at the weekend.

(I’m only ribbing you cos you’re on night shift….you’re a good lad really)

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:32 AM

NY Mag,
    Let’s hope he doesn’t rush Wilson back too soon, if he pulls up it’s over there and then. Also, let’s hope the players try for the fans if they can’t bring themselves to try for Bruce.

• NY Mag

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:35 AM

Jail,

Totally agree….it’s down to what the players want (and are will to fight for)

• Asi Fish

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:35 AM

Are we expecting Wilson and ASM to play this weekend?
    Lawro is a chancer and his articles belong in the Sun.
    Not confusing that with Son who will triple smash us if he plays.

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:38 AM

Asi Fish,
    Wilson has been spotted in training so who knows, he surely has to bring in one of the Longstaffs as a DM as well, I pray he doesn’t try and play Hendrick there.

• NY Mag

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:38 AM

ASI,

I don’t know, I would hope so….they are our better players, so it’s better they are on the pitch.

• Asi Fish

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:38 AM

Shambles shambles but Mike Ashley still gambles

Call me when the horror train stops

Stop

• Asi Fish

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:42 AM

If Hendrick plays we are screwed.

Need our big guns back ASAP.

• Asi Fish

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:44 AM

NY – agreed buddy

Jail – with Hayden injured will stubborn cabbage heed bow down if the Longstaff fueds are to be believed?

Proper shower of shite this club

• Uncertain Toon/World

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:49 AM

I’ve said get Fraser on from day one, fit. He seems to be up to speed now, which should have been months ago. Bruceballs.

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:51 AM

Asi,
    I’m really not sure what we done to deserve Mike Ashley, if only SJH could have held out another year and entertained the Mansours instead, I wonder how different our lives would have been with continuous footballing joy 😮

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:53 AM

I don’t like Ryan Fraser, I’ve made that clear but he’s 100% our best winger he might not have a headband and dreadlocks but he has got very good end product and knows exactly when to whip a cross in, it makes me wonder if Bruce had anything to do with his signing.

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:53 AM

Because of his lack of game time.

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:56 AM

I don’t get the thing with the Longstaffs either, why did they go to all the lengths to extend his contract if they’re not going to play him, why not just let him go to Udinese or wherever it was that were supposedly interested. Was it Watford as well, it’s looking like he’ll have more chance of playing in the PL with Watford than he will with us next season.

• Asi Fish

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:57 AM

Jail – ain’t sure either mate but we are a Prem graveyard club bordering on insanity.

We are literally one bad joke after the other from a psychotic bad comedian who wants to stop standing up.

We do not deserve this

• Asi Fish

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:59 AM

Holding players for the Championship?
    Bruce has no control?
    We are a shiteshow?

Nothing makes sense my friend but I luv u for bringing FPL pain into my life lol

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:00 AM

Got to go to graft, back around three ish 🙁

• Uncertain Toon/World

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:04 AM

Fraser needs to start or I’ll be the angriest man in the northern hemisphere, even more angry than toonbrother. I’ll probably single Saivet out 🙂

• Asi Fish

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:06 AM

Good luck buddy

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:24 AM

I missed the True Faith interview, did anyone watch it?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:26 AM

I should think that hell will freeze over before our spendthrift boss ever breaks the FPP rules.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:27 AM

Or the FFP rules even!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:29 AM

I wonder if TFG is deliberately holding AC back so that when he does release him for a full game, he is green giant unstoppable!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:43 AM

Guess I’m going to have to use a different deodorant, OK I can take the hint.

G’dNight all!

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:49 AM

Fraser’s goals for Scotland and his last performance for us to a lesser extent, show he is motivated. Knowing him, he’s probably realised his only chance of staying in EPL on his massive wages is to score goals. But as long as He’s trying, It’s better than what he did last season.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:54 AM

NY,
    I don’t think many want Jones as a FT appointment, just a caretaker. As you said his experience is nothing special. But It’s all about morale and motivation, and the players like him, respect him, and trust him. The removal of Bruce will presumably be a boost (apart from maybe to Shelvey, Joelinton, Hendrick, Krath) and at this stage a new boss bounce might just rake in 3-6 pts which could do the trick. Also the players are already playing Jones system, so they won’t need 4 weeks as they did with Rafa to understand the new way. I also think whoever picks the formation should choose the players, otherwise you end with a mess.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:00 AM

On the finances,
    As we weren’t in debt through our prudence or stinginess depending on how you see it, this season was a great opportunity to put ourselves ahead of the teams who were in debt before covid. Many will really struggle, especially teams with players in reserves on big long contracts. If we can just stay up, we could poach players on the cheap from clubs near admin. If we go down, we will have put ourselves in the same boat as the Burnleys etc who may need to go a season or two signing frees and loans.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:09 AM

I was reading an article Dubai posted yesterday and some of the Sunderland players talked about Advocaat coming in near the end and saving him. They said it was his confidence and upbeat mood helped raise them from the Dead. One said when you looked to him on the touchline he exuded confidence, he didn’t look like a loser and that faith spread to the players.

Now look at Bruce. As someone said he looks like a Komodo Dragon having a panic attack. Few instructions, pacing, scratching head, puffing out lips, seemingly either praying for luck or thinking of excuses. He builds up the opposition, tears down his own men.

Imagine and old school war, and you could see Julius Caesar’s troops on the horizon, and your leader was babbling about how great Caesar was, and how he had destroyed all before him, while having a panic attack, pacing, and clutching his head. You’d get beat. Or run away. Even if you outnumbered them.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:15 AM

I might create an alt so I have someone to talk to.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:30 AM

Yes, yes, Dave, good idea, an alt with a counterpoint to challenge your thinking. Someone svelte perhaps. 🙂

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:01 AM

JaFDB,
    Can’t understand why he never paid someone like Hiddink £5M to come in and save us, it’s just a gamble for him, I’ve always said he prefers a down to the wire relegation scarp than finishing tenth or even fifth, actually especially fifth as that gets you in to the dreaded Europa league.

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:02 AM

When I worked in China there was a few Aussies posting so had a good bit of company during my uneventful working day.

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:04 AM

We got finished around four o clock this morning then the lazy barstewards wanted us to bloody terminate the cable we pulled in for them, cheek of it 😮

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:15 AM

They’ve all disappeared. I remember a few Aussie posters although there names escape me.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:18 AM

Where did you live, and travel in China, Jail? I know Hibbit was in Guangdong in the 90s I think. A decade moves as fast as a century here so I can only imagine what it was like.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:24 AM

Ha yes Nicky,
    I was thinking ‘Just a Thin Steve Bruce’ which is what I’ll actually change my name to if Hughes, Pulis or Dyche come in next.

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:24 AM

JaFDB,
    Travelled from Laos to Kunming then the train to Bejing in 2000 and worked in Qidong near Shanghai around 2014-ish.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:28 AM

I agree Jail,
    If it’s worth 100m to stay in EPL, put a reward of 10m up to anyone who can keep us up in 9-10 games. Take the best candidate. Van Gaal, Hiddink, Poch etc would be tempted. We’d probably offer 10m to Big Sam though.