web analytics

Pundit Cites The Absence Of The Toon Army In His Prediction For Tottenham At Newcastle

BBC pundit Mark Lawrenson has given his predictions for this weekend’s Premier League matches. He has Newcastle losing 2-0 to Spurs as St. James’ Park on Sunday.

Here is Lawro’s reasoning behind his prediction:

Newcastle badly need a lift and a win, but it is hard to see them getting either here. If fans were allowed into grounds then the Toon Army would be laying into the Magpies, and rightly so.

Tottenham have had their problems recently too, but they were decent in their win over Aston Villa last time out.

If Son Heung-min is fit then that will be a boost for Spurs, but I still think they will win this one without him.

Tottenham were eliminated from the Europa League after a 3-0 defeat at Dinamo Zagreb a few weeks ago. However, they followed that up with a solid 2-0 win at Aston Villa before the break. It seems the international break may have come at an opportune time for both clubs.

Lawrenson emphasizes the availability of Son Heung-min, who missed Tottenham’s 2-0 win at Aston Villa with a hamstring injury. Spurs have posted images of Son training during Thursday’s session so the South Korean could be available for Sunday.

Newcastle also could get a boost with the return of both Callum Wilson and Allan Saint-Maximin. Both players are back in training with Wilson potentially in line to start on Sunday.

While a win seems unlikely on Sunday, the minimum expectation is a fighting performance from the lads. If Newcastle fail to show up, as was the case at Brighton before the break, then the evidence is beyond reproach that Steve Bruce has lost this squad and needs to be replaced.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Tottenham On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• NY Mag

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:31 AM

JaFDB,

I get what you’re about new manager/coach bounce – that could happen, but it’s not guaranteed.

• NY Mag

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:38 AM

Sorry hit submit by accident

JaFDB,

You say the players, like, respect and trust Jones.

Do we know that for sure? Or are we assuming he’s just more popular than Bruce.

I don’t want to come across as though I’m somehow supporting steve Bruce, he should be replaced, but only by someone who is better.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:39 AM

I did the opposite journey when I first come here. Beijing, Xian, then stayed with monks in the same building as the lama of sichuan on the Tibetan border before going to Kunming, Laos. The sleeper bus was awful, everybody got robbed and the ATM was broke on the border. I then journeyed back up via Vietnam using trains. Must have covered some miles.

I was in Kunming again recently actually. Beautiful region.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:42 AM

JaFDB,
    I’ve got a funny(wasn’t footin funny at the time) story about the sleeper bus from Laos to Kunming. It’ll have to wait though I’m off to me scratcher. Night all.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:50 AM

I agree NY, but There’s no time. Jones is reported to have been a popular friendly guy wherever he has went, and there were reports from Craig Hope many players want him in charge. If they get what they want theyll at least feel happier. That’s probably the best we can hope for now.

If I was Charnley I’d say to the players ‘Your man Jones gets the job until end of season, but It’s on you. Go out and prove you are right to want him. And if you fail, he loses his job. Giving the players that responsibility could galvanise them for a while.’

Then if I was Jones I’d bring in some of those with a grudge against Bruce and say ‘Go prove you were right.’ Longstaff, Ritchie and Gayle perhaps from the bench.’

Try to create unity and all the other vital mental attributes they’ve lost. Remember these same players have fought like tigers for 4-5 years and never used to give up. They are fighters.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:56 AM

I think one of the only things we have going for us is there seems no major divisions in the squad. You dont see tjem squabbling and theres been no rumours.

This makes the job of a new manager easy. A divided dressing room can take months to fix.

Also if Bruce isn’t popular there is a far greater chance of a new manager bounce. When hated managers leave, the upturn in form is usually huge.

• NY Mag

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:03 AM

JaFDB,

That’s fair enough and makes sense.

I don’t want to come across that I’m not for a change (I think a change is necessary). I just would like to see the right change.

BTW, I’m not qualified enough to know what the right change is.

I like that you always champion the up and coming managers, that’s where our success has been in recent memory (KK had no managerial experience whatsoever, he just “got us” )

Anyway, for some bizarre reason, I’m still thinking we’ll get something out of Spurs at the weekend (probably just wishful thinking)

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:32 AM

Uncertain

I don’t like TR but it didn’t bother me Wraith interviewed him like it did a lot of the fanbase but what did bother me was Wraith’s reaction to it all with blaming the fans for the way it blew up even after TR put out that video calling a few of us. I understand he gets targeted by a few trolls as I’ve got the exact same people blocked. But for me he doesn’t really care about #BeKind #ThinkBeforeYouTweet BS it’s just to promote himself and I see that now so I unfollowed him and his BS. At the same time this was happening we had the NFTV and the other various groups setting up a quiz for mental health awareness and I realised that’s the side of the fanbase I want to be a part of not Wraith and his BS

• Regan

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:40 AM

If you watch the James english interview with TR..
    It explains a lot about how it got to be where it is now..

• Regan

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:44 AM

Anyway..
    Football’s back so should be something to debate in the next few days..

• count

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:11 AM

Maybe Carson should change his name to Manning.
    A bit more apt?

Seriously though, I’m 41 too. I’m too young to really remember Willie Carson. Just remember him being a bit crap. Of all 80s figures, why him?

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:12 AM

Why do you care?

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:38 AM

Why so defensive and abrasive?

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:40 AM

JAFDB, you directing that to me?

• hibbit

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:48 AM

JaFDB
    i was in china working in the early 70s.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:52 AM

yeah. peaceful morning so far.

• carltoon

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:53 AM

Happy Good Friday.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:53 AM

I bet there were barely any westerners at all back then.

• carltoon

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:54 AM

Mund! Are you out with the kids this morning or have you got the morning off?

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:57 AM

carltoon

I’m back Tuesday so a nice relaxing 4 days to recuperate lol

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:58 AM

So asking someone why do they care? Is defensive and abrasive? 🙄 god give me strength

• carltoon

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:59 AM

Surely Wilson will be be fit, he’s been training for weeks now.

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:01 AM

I’ve been told this morning Wilson has been knocking Bruce’s door down to start. He has apparently been smashing them in all week in training and is raring to go so could start. Maxi to be on the bench with Fernandez and Hendrick to start again lol always a negative

• Munster Mag

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:14 AM

Morning all, day off for me too along with too much grog last night to celebrate. 🙁

Hendrick is bound to play.

No way is stubborn Bruce going to give in on the longstaffs, not that they are great shakes anyway but Hendrick…. 🙁

• Munster Mag

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:22 AM

Mund, well done on the kids. We are all still heavily locked down here so no sport. Apparently 3rd lowest infection rates in Europe but same old lockdowm feeling. It’s terrible although the Saturday mornings in bed are nice without having to train the kids, and no rugby on Sundays either. Gardening has to happen soon, thank fck the football is back even if supporting is just a misery these days.

• magicmac54

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:25 AM

Good morning everyone.

What a beautiful morning in the Emerald Isle, a big blue sky and the sun shinning perfect for Good Friday, i wish you all a really happy Easter.

• count

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:26 AM

What T F has it got to do with you Mund?

Still engaging your mouth before your brain despite all your talk of being a new man.

I missed his joke but saw your “race card” comment.
    You just had to wade in! Why?
    Because he’s part of your little arse-kissing gang?
    and “I’m Mund! I’ll always defend myself and my friends, regardless!”

Maybe I’ll ask for this comment to be removed in retrospect. That way I still get to be a meany to you but leave no evidence. Nothing remotely cowardly about that, eh?

• carltoon

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:28 AM

Hope Fraser, brings is international form and shooting boots with him I think he may be our savior.

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:31 AM

Ok Count :thumb up thingy:

• carltoon

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:32 AM

Happy Easter, Magic.

• carltoon

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:33 AM

Thank God football is back.

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:33 AM

Munster

Cheers mate and it’s been amazing tbf I’ve loved every minute of it but am feeling it lol but even that feeling is great. But incredible to just get the kids out and being active with running around and playing the sports as it’s getting that normality back for them. Sorry to hear things aren’t changing like that over the water but it will come mate.

• Munster Mag

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:33 AM

Carltoon, imagine if he became the 2021 Paul Goddard? Can’t see it though!

• carltoon

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:34 AM

🙂

• Munster Mag

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:37 AM

Mund I haven’t listened to Wraith or podcast recently with the local journalist. Any comments from them on arbitration etc or is Patterson saying anything on twitter etc these days?

• magicmac54

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:41 AM

Carltoon

Thanks very much Carltoon, have a lovely Easter, iam sure a Newcastle victory would help make it a really nice Easter 😀 😀 😀

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:43 AM

Munster

All I would say is don’t listen to anything and whatever happens will happen.

• magscar

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:49 AM

Without wanting to get into detail I think that one of our recent problems on the pitch is that having found a better system to utilise ASM Miggy and Wilson attacking talents once they were injured we tried to stick with that formula but without the necessary equivalent talent to replace them

I like the idea of having a regular system but which can be varied as situation requires ( through out the levels in the club ideally) but that requires not only a settled and forward thinking manager but also coaches and recruitment that buy into tha strategy..

We have an owner who did once have a strategy ( failed) but has since allowed the club to drift with only Rafa having ad a comprehensive and evolving plan.

faced as we were with loss of out attacking strength in one swoop almost we could have either ket the system whch had brough some temporary success and joy and shoehorn players into it or think again.

By that I mean look imagnatively at the players available ( not just the best 11) which can adapt to an alternative viable system to get through the spell when we were missing our best players.

We seemed to end up with players fitted into the 433 who didn’t necessarily gel indvidually or as a group.

Yeah they are professionals but is that best use of individual talent?

• carltoon

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:55 AM

Congratulations to Martin Dubravka, on the birth of his baby boy. Now that’s something to get a win for.

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:00 AM

Brilliant news that carltoon hopefully he isn’t to tired for Sunday 😉