web analytics

Bruce ‘Would Desperately Want Fans In The Ground’ Despite Potential Backlash

During Steve Bruce’s press conference this morning, he was asked a lot about his tenuous position as Newcastle’s head coach after the dreadful result at Brighton two weeks ago. He revealed very little other than what we’ve heard over the past few weeks.

Bruce confirmed that he’s received support from Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley while reaffirming his stance that he will not walk away. He was also asked about the recent poll in the Chronicle in which 95% of the 14,000 who responded wanted him to be replaced.

While Bruce did seem aware of the poll, he maintained that he was not taking any notice of it. He also dispelled a recent claim that he was involved in intense meetings with Lee Charnley.

Bruce said the following about his meetings with Charnley:

“Lee Charnley comes down to the training ground every week. There’s nothing different in that. Nothing different whatsoever in that.

“He comes down every week to see how things are. There’s nothing new or different in that. That’s the way it works.”

The next question was asked by The Telegraph’s Luke Edwards, who had originally reported about the ‘frantic meetings’ earlier in the week. Edwards followed up on Bruce’s response about the poll by asking about what the potential atmosphere would be like in St. James’ Park if fans were allowed to attend matches.

This was Bruce’s verdict on whether having fans back in the stadium now would be positive or negative considering the poor form the team is in:

“Look, I would desperately want the fans in the ground. Absolutely 100%.

“Without them, then we’re just like every other club, playing behind closed doors. For me, we’ve all got sort of used to it a little bit.

“When we see the internationals and we see 4 or 5 thousand at the game. It makes a difference.

“Look I would want the supporters in because that’s what it’s all about. We’ve missed them dreadfully.

“I am sure at this particular time they’d get behind the team. That’s the most important thing. Look we’re in a scrap, we’re in a fight – let’s get ready for it.

“Certainly, the supporters would play their part in it. I’m absolutely convinced they would, to try and drive us over the line in certain situations.”

How Will Newcastle Do Against Tottenham On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• bettyswallocks

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:28 PM

Lesh……….. I wouldn’t give Bruce a chance to flounder around again and make a dog’s breakfast of something he’s clearly not capable of achieving. Modifying one’s comments on a blog is somewhat more achievable.

• geordietom

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:29 PM

lesh …

been know to eat a few tiger loafs though plenty crumbs ,

any way im having spag bol tonight …

• cleveleysbob

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:30 PM

That’s the trouble with playing catch up, I missed the bus by a country mile, so without apologies, here’s the repost.

Hey Lesh, when you swam in the North Sea, did you wear those awful woollen trunks that got so heavy when wet, they ended up around you ankles? My those were the days. The water was so cold, I’d dive in a young lad and come out a girl ?

It was an old fashioned method of gender adjustment ?

• Rotonda heights

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:30 PM

” I’m determined to see it through to the championship and finished what I started.” Yours…agent bruce.

• toon22

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:33 PM

Mund

It’s never Jabbas fault

• lesh

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:33 PM

bettyswallocks

I’ve got me bag packed and awaiting Downing Street clearance to travel following Raab’s ok.

I’ll be bringing a diplomatic bag (no, not the missus) and gifts for the Colonial Club Secretary and trust that helps clear up any questions about my political leanings.

Do a good job and you never know, a large bottle of Gordon’s Export might just find you.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:33 PM

Forgot all about Willock. On paper and pre bruce running people ino the ground and injuring them, having the likes of ASM , Wilson, Miggy, Willock, Fraser, Dubs etc really isn’t too shabby, just shabbily managed by a delusionally, selfish, arrogant cretin.

• WLtoon

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:35 PM

ArtyH,

Brilliant post, couldn`t agree with you more.
    Trouble is there will always be people wanting to go to the games regardless of what shite is on display, or how much contempt Ashley shows to the supporters.
    Some fans seem to think that the only way to show your loyalty to the club is by buying a ST, therefore giving Ashley`s rancid BUSINESS venture £500-700 of their well earned cash, while he laughs all the way to the bank.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:35 PM

My God – next there will be a blog campaign such as “the Yorkshire Ripper was innocent” and or “Jimmy Saville deserved a second chance”.

Will be backed mainly I think by the blogs mundane gang. Once the football starts there will be less of them as they will not know what to post .

• lesh

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:36 PM

Geordietom

Ask him nice ways and DeMarco might just send you one if his leaves to enjoy with your pasta.

Enjoy

• Tackle from behind

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:37 PM

Wor B

I’m going to have to stop using long words, my hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is playing up.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:38 PM

lesh seeing you are about – do you have any Trump chicken incidents to report.
    We need to be careful.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:38 PM

Bring back Tony Baloney

• bettyswallocks

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:39 PM

ClevelysBob …….. I remember those trunks . We were given them to wear when trying to get out of rugby practice cos the ground was icy. I’ve forgot me kit sir never washed with our games teacher. Proper sadist he was.

• lesh

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:39 PM

Betty’s

Modifying one’s language may seem more achievable than modifying one’s self perception but surely it the case that personality, self-perception and behaviours are inextricably linked?

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:40 PM

Just joking, but I agree with everything Betty said about Jib. He gave as good as he got, and it was from dozens of people, constantly.

• Regan

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:41 PM

I don’t think Anglo liked me..

But what the hell. ….bring him back anyway..

• lesh

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:41 PM

Tuff

Trump’s in his box and has been since February. Do keep up.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:42 PM

Mr Tuff……. Clearly old school ex plod. Lock em up and leave em to rot that’s what I say.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:43 PM

Lesh

Wish you’d speak proper mundane mate! 🙂

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:44 PM

As if Tuff is bringing names like that on the blog and comparing them to a former poster. Well done sir 🙄 what’s that got to do with football seeing as you obviously out wit us all in that department haha

• lesh

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:44 PM

Just a Fat Dave Bassett

But he was never in the receiving end of personal, highly offensive and disgusting comments from other posters.

Something to think about.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:44 PM

Lesh…….Id love to sit and have a glass or two with you. I know you’re getting on a bit in years and fairly set in your ways but I honestly don’t think you’re a lost cause quite yet.

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:45 PM

Bring back GP

Hope he is ok and if your reading say hello let us know your fine :thumb up thingy:

• Tackle from behind

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:45 PM

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:55 PM

Tackle

If you are suffering from hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia then The Wife should consider banning long words, lets say anything with more than five letters, from the blog.

it will stop any one from doing hard to read words!

• lesh

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:58 PM

Essex

@60

What, speak more mundane? You must be having trouble sleeping?

• Wor B

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:59 PM

Bill

There’s already a few four letter words banned.

😀

• Tackle from behind

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:00 PM

EGB

OK, I’m with you on this, but it won’t be easy.

For a start, we can’t post about the game that sees men kick a ball if we don’t use the word for that game.

And we can’t slag off the man who leads our team by use of the word for a green fresh food item. He will have to be pea heed from now on.

This is hard is this rule of 5 max thing.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:00 PM

Bring back dinosaurs, I’d love to have seen a bunch of raptors frolicking on Southend beach on a nice sunny day during the lockdown!

• lesh

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:00 PM

bettyswallocks

Ah ha! Gordon’s Export seems to be a key that opens many a door.

🙂

• Wor B

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:01 PM

Tackle

Leads = 5

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:03 PM

TFB

Nice one, 10/10! 🙂

• geordietom

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:04 PM

TO THE WIFE …

could you please ban two names off the blog , as i dont think them names should be mentioned on here …

refer to post 49 …

• JohnJ

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:04 PM

Regan

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:10 PM

Ha Ha

Unless my memory is playing tricks with me….
    I seem to recall you beat me in the FFL 🙂

• Tackle from behind

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:04 PM

Wor B

The rule was a ban on words of more than 5 letters.
    I’m OK with leads, especially for dogs.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:06 PM

Wor lass is going to hit the roof when she finds out I’ve replaced our bed with a trampoline .

• Wor B

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:07 PM

Tackle

Bril mate, I was so impressed I thought you had failed when I got to the first 5 letter word! 🙂

• Regan

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:07 PM

Johnj…
    Pure fluke mate..

I’m sure you will have me next time round..

• Munster Mag

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:07 PM

Jib angered a certain group to extremes and we know how they gang up. He was from from an innocent, but he contributed plenty of mad info, alternative opinions, colour, hilarious put downs, nonsense, and facts and was a long tíme nufc fan. Hé never crossed me, despite Jail’s best efforts to dig up a comment of his about Irish priests, that I had missed anyway, and for which he apologised anyway. The blog is cértainly a more boring place without the shock jock.