web analytics

Bruce ‘Would Desperately Want Fans In The Ground’ Despite Potential Backlash

During Steve Bruce’s press conference this morning, he was asked a lot about his tenuous position as Newcastle’s head coach after the dreadful result at Brighton two weeks ago. He revealed very little other than what we’ve heard over the past few weeks.

Bruce confirmed that he’s received support from Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley while reaffirming his stance that he will not walk away. He was also asked about the recent poll in the Chronicle in which 95% of the 14,000 who responded wanted him to be replaced.

While Bruce did seem aware of the poll, he maintained that he was not taking any notice of it. He also dispelled a recent claim that he was involved in intense meetings with Lee Charnley.

Bruce said the following about his meetings with Charnley:

“Lee Charnley comes down to the training ground every week. There’s nothing different in that. Nothing different whatsoever in that.

“He comes down every week to see how things are. There’s nothing new or different in that. That’s the way it works.”

The next question was asked by The Telegraph’s Luke Edwards, who had originally reported about the ‘frantic meetings’ earlier in the week. Edwards followed up on Bruce’s response about the poll by asking about what the potential atmosphere would be like in St. James’ Park if fans were allowed to attend matches.

This was Bruce’s verdict on whether having fans back in the stadium now would be positive or negative considering the poor form the team is in:

“Look, I would desperately want the fans in the ground. Absolutely 100%.

“Without them, then we’re just like every other club, playing behind closed doors. For me, we’ve all got sort of used to it a little bit.

“When we see the internationals and we see 4 or 5 thousand at the game. It makes a difference.

“Look I would want the supporters in because that’s what it’s all about. We’ve missed them dreadfully.

“I am sure at this particular time they’d get behind the team. That’s the most important thing. Look we’re in a scrap, we’re in a fight – let’s get ready for it.

“Certainly, the supporters would play their part in it. I’m absolutely convinced they would, to try and drive us over the line in certain situations.”

How Will Newcastle Do Against Tottenham On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• geordietom

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:09 PM

thought we were talking about bread buns …

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:11 PM

Quite a few games on early today including Doncaster, nice to see Coppinger still playing a big part for them, deserves a statue at that club.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:15 PM

A Mackem bloke was showing me his tattoo.

“Isn’t that one of those that just washes off,” I asked.

“I don’t know,” he replied.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:19 PM

Geordietom……..If you want to lose loads of weight just wear bread on yer heed. It’s called the loaf hat diet.

• lesh

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:19 PM

Cleveleyswhile

Nowt like trying to run while holding up waterlogged, woolen trunks that stretched to your ankles.

And then the dilemma – how to hold your bathers up and grab the towel without looking a complete pratt. I eventually mastered that by the time I was eighteen.

• geordietom

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:21 PM

betty …

i used to wear loafer’s on my feet didnt work made me ankles swell up…

• lesh

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:21 PM

Cleveleyswhile??

You’re name’s been changed?

Sorry about that.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:22 PM

My PC not printing correctly – is that ” loaf hat diet” or “oaf hat diet”.

Hahahaha – another corker.

• Romford mag

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:26 PM

Wor

then the second bus turns up again 😳

• Mister Tuff

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:27 PM

In a previous post I was careful not to mention a previous poster – if you want to assume content that is not there by an over fertive brain that is up to the reader. Mischief making again.

• hibbit

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:36 PM

no one is being forced to either read the blog or post on it ,
    if you are really as unhappy with the blog as some are now claiming to be just move on,
    it’s Ed’s blog and were guests here if you dont like his house rules dont post it really is that simply as posting is not compulsory,

• Jarra

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:38 PM

Having read quotes from todays Bruce press conference I can actually hear the drone of his mundane voice. They certainly do not inspire me, nor give me a boost of hope. I just wonder how it sounds to the players when he gives them the team briefing before they walk out as gladiators fighting for their lives.

• Not another deJong

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:38 PM

It is very dissappointing that Journalists can not tell Bruce that he has ‘walked away’ in the past, his years of managerial experience is in failure and why was he not as gracious towards Mat Richie’s opinion.

• Not another deJong

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:44 PM

A lack of specifics is not only applied to training and playing, but also to the reasons preventing Bruce from being asked to leave the training ground permenantly. I guess that is because there is no valid justification for him to continue in the role other than that it would be too difficult todo anything otherwise for the likes of Charnley.

• carltoon

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:47 PM

Hibbit, is it your birthday, if so have a good one, and I’m so pleased you said it was COD steak.

• Romford mag

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:49 PM

Piece of cod ?

• bettyswallocks

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:50 PM

When I was a kid,I can remember me mam going to the shops with two shillings in her purse and coming back with a big bag of spuds,two loaves of bread,a pound of cheese, three pints of milk,half a dozen eggs and a packet of tea.
    You can’t do that anymore,

Too many kin security cameras.

• carltoon

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:50 PM

Rom, ?

• Romford mag

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:51 PM

Cod piece 😀

• lesh

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:51 PM

Jarra

Just thinking about the way Bruce seems to big up the opposition and use uninspiring language, I can’t help but compare him to clip from the recent Jack Charlton programme.

Up against Brazil or whichever, his simple use of language seemed to inspire his Ireland players. Example – words to the effect of ‘they’ve got eleven players on the pitch, same as us’ seemed to help

Whereas our own Mr Motivator……

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:53 PM

Munster,
    You have a very bad habit of calling me a liar, denying you said things, claiming I make this up and basically lie a lot. You’ve just claimed you never seen this comment, a very typical Jeff/Jib comment at that:
    Jib

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:37 PM

Munster
    Stick to stone-walling the Pope
    Eeeh our kids were ra#ed by priests
    what a surprise
    Irish a bit thick
    Not arf

Munster Mag

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:43 PM

Jib bringing child ra#e onto a football blog?? That’s shocking jib, hang your head man

So you did see it and rightly complained about it. Are you still going to keep insisting that I am the liar here.

• carltoon

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:54 PM

Betty still laughing at the trampoline one, my daughter actually sent me a small one at the start of the first lock down, to keep fit. 😮

• carltoon

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:55 PM

Rom ha ha.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:56 PM

Munster Mag
    On previous thread.
    “despite Jail’s best efforts to dig up a comment of his about Irish priests, that I had missed anyway”
    Are you still going to persist in calling me a liar Munster???

• carltoon

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:56 PM

And I’m hoping ya all had fish and chips today. 😉

• carltoon

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:58 PM

Happy Easter, pity we can’t go back to the days of the Spanish City. New dress and white sand shoes. Those were the days.

• lesh

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:04 PM

Carltoon

My mother always bought me a new dress for Easter though me fatha wasn’t ower happy!

• bettyswallocks

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:07 PM

Jail……… I think you’re thinking of the one where the young boy goes up to the confession box and says, ” Forgive me father for I have sinned. ”
    ” You better not have been cheating on me again you little sod”. replied the priest.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:09 PM

Also I don’t care if Jib/Jeff/Mallorca toon/Hexham toon posts or not, unlike some regarding other posters, I never spent my time harassing the Harrisons to have him removed and by all accounts he got himself removed anyway. However, those claiming he deserves a second chance, well he had one. Is original comments as Jeff from Benwell were a whole lot worse than those above. Jib was just a watered down version of JfB. So he’s been banned for life twice. Why not write to the Harrisons asking for him back???

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:10 PM

swallocks,
    I don’t like those kind of jokes.

• JohnJ

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:16 PM

Cartoon,

I had egg sarnies for me dinna

Divent knaa what’s for tea Hinney!

• JohnJ

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:17 PM

Never seen any posts from Rev Jim lately – Hope he’s OK?

• hibbit

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:22 PM

Carltoon,
    it is and thank you , being a left-footer it had to be cod 🙂

• JohnJ

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:25 PM

Sunderland losing 1 – 0 at home to Oxford United.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:25 PM

Jail…….. Although Jib ‘s contributions to the blog splits opinion, I think there would be more bloggers more inclined to see Jib allowed back than not as he definitely brought his own unique blend of blunders and controversy which led to subsequent banter and debate.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:28 PM

swallocks,
    Well why don’t you all write to the Harrison asking for him to be given a third chance.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:30 PM

JohnJ,
    Then a little bit of good news for a change 😕

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:31 PM

swallocks,
    As I say, I don’t care either way if he posts or not, I’d prefer it if all the posters who’ve come and gone returned to the fore.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:34 PM

if Jib returned there would be a power struggle between him and the leader of the mundane gang as they battled for blog supremacy.
    Moanster would be having hissy fits not knowing to to support as wingman.

Hahahahaha ——————— bring it on.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:37 PM

@118 Jail……. Me too . Life’s too short to bear grudges indefinitely.