web analytics

‘There Could Be’ – Bruce Open To Changing The Formation Against Spurs On Sunday

Newcastle have struggled for goals since putting three past Southampton in our last win six matches ago. The lads have managed just three goals since then with two coming from captain Jamaal Lascelles.

Bruce hasn’t been able to find a suitable replacement for striker Callum Wilson over that stretch. After some experimentation, he’s settled on Joelinton on the right side of the front three.

Against Wolves to close February, Bruce lost both Miguel Almiron and Allan Saint-Maximin to injury. That compounded his problem with fielding a squad capable of getting the goals necessary to pick up wins.

Bruce has stuck with the 4-3-3 formation despite having to put some square pegs into round holes. Needless to say, that formula has not produced the desired results.

After the disappointing draw at West Brom in early March, Bruce was asked about making a change to the system to better suit the players he had on hand. This was his response at the time:

“I think it was important not to disturb the shape that we’ve been playing in the last six weeks or so. The players are getting used to the way we want to play, so I thought it was imperative we stuck with that.

“Joe (Willock) has played as a number ten on many occasions through his career at Arsenal, so with the problems we have, it was simply a case of trying to find a way of winning the match and not disrupting the way we have been playing too much.

“If we had played Andy and Dwight, then we’d have to change the whole set-up, and I don’t think we had time to do that. We’re getting used to playing in a certain way, it’s the way I want to play, but unfortunately, having come up with the system, we’ve been struck down by the loss of Almiron, Callum, and Allan. It’s been very difficult to try to replace them.”

Miguel Almiron returned in the defeat at Brighton and slotted straight back into the false 9 role. However, Miggy was obviously not 100% which Bruce conceded during his press conference this morning.

For Sunday, Almiron should be closer to his best after the two-week international break. There’s also a good chance that Allan Saint-Maximin will return in some capacity for Spurs on Sunday.

However, Callum Wilson likely won’t play a part this weekend with next week’s match at Burnley a more realistic date for his return. With that in mind, Bruce was again asked about changing the formation for Sunday’s match during today’s press conference.

Bruce seemed much more open to the idea than he was a few weeks ago. This was his response:

“The difficulty is, of course, when you’re losing your big players at the top end of the pitch.

“Then, unfortunately, I believe that every team in the Premier League would struggle if you took their front three away.

“Unfortunately over the last few weeks, we’ve been without them.

“You’re quite right to ask the question will there be a change – there could be.”

How Will Newcastle Do Against Tottenham On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Carson80

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:38 PM

Regan
    Don’t tell the missus you’re facing gimps this weekend.
    She’s still not right from the last time
    . https://youtu.be/S8kPqAV_74M

• Uncertain Toon/World

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:38 PM

Legolas,

Thanks for that mate, I must have missed it.

That’s sad news indeed, came across as I nice bloke, and as you say he didn’t mind sharing what he knew with us.

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:40 PM

Ok frog I think I’ll leave there as there is no talking to you as anything I say is arguing to you but I was asking simple questions.

What has Jib got to do with anything? I follow over 700 people, are they all my friends? I follow Warren Barton he follows me, is he now my friend? No! But I’d love it to be true.

You need to educate yourself more you really do.

• Legolas

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:41 PM

Hibbit,

I was too at the time. I can’t remember who said it now.

A really good poster.

Maybe someone with the skills to look it up, might be able to find it.

• Regan

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:41 PM

Carson. .

She’s never been right mate…lol.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:42 PM

The Wife,
    I don’t know why I do it to myself, maybe morbid fascination but I’m going to watch his presser later on tonight when I get a chance. Just in case I don’t like him enough already.

• magscar

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:42 PM

REPOST

just caught upon this thread and thought i would repeat the post I referenced to hibbit earlier as it addresses certain other points for me

magscar

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:16 PM

hibbit

i’m not in the slightest naive and despite my years am well versed in technology and the internet

I know there are disputes on here about say boycotts but most of those posters involved still post regularly and about all and sundry.

Bobbybee one of the most vociferous doesn’t now but I believe he was a genuine poster but ended up having an unconnected meltdwon last summer on here and i honestly feared for his health especially with Covid and his vulnerability I imagine

I remain unconvinced that despite the existence of PR and influencers all over the internet that there any on here but if there have been they have been very unsuccesful in swaying opinion.

Take the ST arguements – how many of the say 50000 do you reckon post and read on here. I would say a very small percentage and many posters aren’t from the area or no longer have ST’s like myself and you.

Of the half dozen or more mates i went to matches with not one were even aware of this Blog never mind would entertain the idea of reading it.

We are important to each other but we are not a major force in NUFC world at large – the crown for that goes indisputably to NUFC.com and they definately aren’t PR

• Uncertain Toon/World

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:43 PM

Regan,

I’ll happily get on board with a ‘Bring back the Prawn Cocktail Wotsit’ movement.

• Legolas

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:44 PM

No bother uncertain. Just passing on what I read.

• Regan

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:47 PM

Uncertain. .
    Prawn eh..not tried them..
    I’m onto walkers right away mate..

• Carson80

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:48 PM

Regan neither is mine, she’s always wrong.
    Didn’t they do a bacon wotsit at one time.

• Uncertain Toon/World

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:49 PM

Legolas,

As Jail alluded to, I remember TorqToon getting grief for being ITK. Can’t recall what it was about, might have been a transfer

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:49 PM

Carson80,
    What’s that supposed to mean?

• magscar

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:50 PM

Despite what Toon 22 says in support of his contention about his revelastion and names of the PR shills and his proof – to my knowledge and I would guess to every other poster engaged in this arguement there never has been

That is unless you stoop to the lowest debating level of saying oi you argue there aren’t any then defacto you are one and that is his proof.

I said dearlier that 2 summers ago NY Mag and I and others went over this nonsense with him and apart from Jib and Jane ( and of course all those arguing with him!!) he didn’t name anyone let alone prove anything

Regardless of this I keep returning to – what have been the sucesses of the supposed PR on here – Ashley’s NUFC world is even worsethan ever – some PR – sack the lot of us haha

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:51 PM

#50

• Regan

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:52 PM

Hang about…wrong number..

Got through to some hiking gang from Carlisle….

• Carson80

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:53 PM

Jail what’s what supposed to mean.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:55 PM

The link #50, what message are we supposed to be looking at?

• Carson80

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:56 PM

Oh that Jail, maybe Jamie loves us and he’s relishing getting started as a new member of our board, representing his dad and Uncle.

• magscar

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:57 PM

Torqtoon did decide not to post after getting grief like a few other ITK’s at time like Jail has said.

Oh the end of the innocence when folk felt lt was not only OK but a service to fellow bloggers to share what snippets they had in good faith- Social Media has grown up and turned into a world of hate generally

Niafron someone mentioned the other day was a French poster who as I recall was more a Ben Arfa fan who had spread his allegiance to us whilst he was here.

Eeh the facts I can just drag fronm the archives with The PR machine at my fingertips
    🙂

• geordietom

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:58 PM

pin TOON22 down to a question about PR , what does he do he starts with his nonsense about shills , then if that doesn’t work he try’s to get a poster to react so he will get banned again …

TOON22 have you ever worked for Sports Direct ?

• toon22

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:59 PM

😉

• geordietom

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:00 PM

toon22 …

is MR TUFF a ALT of yours ?…

• Carson80

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:01 PM

GeordieTom
    Toon22 is the only Ashley PR on here.
    Who else goes on about his tat empire daily and what greater advertising eh.
    Thanks to him we all know the website for giving Ashley’s tat the thumbs up.

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:05 PM

Carson I’ve mentioned the same before and a great disguise to moan about PR that isn’t here when in fact he is the PR!

• toon22

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:06 PM

Carson

Stay positive
    Hes selling us
    Again , for the 14th year in a row

70% off
    Everything must go

• Carson80

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:07 PM

Oh and Count read your comment from during the night, what’s up with you asking me that at the time I posted it.
    This you by any chance

• toon22

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:08 PM

Mund

Ive spent years posting as much stuff to counter the parasites PR on here as i can
    Draged things up, everything i could find

You say im working for him
    Hahahaha

Its never the turds fault
    If this is a personal attack im going to need a bit more meat to chew
    Too lame to bother with right now

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:08 PM

I know that any poster who has come on this blog with any kind of positivity they get called PR by the frog 🙄 like he is trying to douse fire over anything that is saw as positive by anyone

• toon22

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:08 PM

Carson

Undisclosed Payments

😉

Weve still got that little nugget on the back burner havent we

• Carson80

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:09 PM

Mund I think Toon22 is rolling in it due to the top job he’s doing.
    Explains why he posts on here all times of the day.

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:09 PM

I think I speak for a lot here frog and I don’t think many agree with you as you seem to think.

• toon22

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:10 PM

Mund

Positive about what ?
    Right about the time they were asking people if they wanted refunds on their robbed ST money oddly enough

Clubs in turmoil
    Worst combo in world footy
    2 wins in 20
    Circling the drain

GERIN

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:10 PM

So that’s why the turd won’t spend another penny Carson he is blowing it on fly food. Ffs we could of been rid of Bruce by now! 😉

• toon22

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:10 PM

Mund

Sounding like JIB again
    Carefull

LOL

• toon22

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:12 PM

We have had 14 years of him robbing us
    Mugging us off
    Asset stripping the club
    Trousering every penny he could take

Your happy about it
    Positive
    Great in it

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:12 PM

You’ve targeted me down over the last year odd for being positive that’s a fact. Why shit on someone’s parade? If that’s what makes them feel good then let it be.

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:12 PM

May as well allow Jib back on his name gets mentioned daily

• toon22

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:13 PM

What ever happened to Strawberry place
    Oh yeh