web analytics

‘There Could Be’ – Bruce Open To Changing The Formation Against Spurs On Sunday

Newcastle have struggled for goals since putting three past Southampton in our last win six matches ago. The lads have managed just three goals since then with two coming from captain Jamaal Lascelles.

Bruce hasn’t been able to find a suitable replacement for striker Callum Wilson over that stretch. After some experimentation, he’s settled on Joelinton on the right side of the front three.

Against Wolves to close February, Bruce lost both Miguel Almiron and Allan Saint-Maximin to injury. That compounded his problem with fielding a squad capable of getting the goals necessary to pick up wins.

Bruce has stuck with the 4-3-3 formation despite having to put some square pegs into round holes. Needless to say, that formula has not produced the desired results.

After the disappointing draw at West Brom in early March, Bruce was asked about making a change to the system to better suit the players he had on hand. This was his response at the time:

“I think it was important not to disturb the shape that we’ve been playing in the last six weeks or so. The players are getting used to the way we want to play, so I thought it was imperative we stuck with that.

“Joe (Willock) has played as a number ten on many occasions through his career at Arsenal, so with the problems we have, it was simply a case of trying to find a way of winning the match and not disrupting the way we have been playing too much.

“If we had played Andy and Dwight, then we’d have to change the whole set-up, and I don’t think we had time to do that. We’re getting used to playing in a certain way, it’s the way I want to play, but unfortunately, having come up with the system, we’ve been struck down by the loss of Almiron, Callum, and Allan. It’s been very difficult to try to replace them.”

Miguel Almiron returned in the defeat at Brighton and slotted straight back into the false 9 role. However, Miggy was obviously not 100% which Bruce conceded during his press conference this morning.

For Sunday, Almiron should be closer to his best after the two-week international break. There’s also a good chance that Allan Saint-Maximin will return in some capacity for Spurs on Sunday.

However, Callum Wilson likely won’t play a part this weekend with next week’s match at Burnley a more realistic date for his return. With that in mind, Bruce was again asked about changing the formation for Sunday’s match during today’s press conference.

Bruce seemed much more open to the idea than he was a few weeks ago. This was his response:

“The difficulty is, of course, when you’re losing your big players at the top end of the pitch.

“Then, unfortunately, I believe that every team in the Premier League would struggle if you took their front three away.

“Unfortunately over the last few weeks, we’ve been without them.

“You’re quite right to ask the question will there be a change – there could be.”

How Will Newcastle Do Against Tottenham On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Carson80

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:13 PM

Toon22 you’re not Mike’s son in law Michael are you, keeping it in the family and all that you know.

• toon22

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:13 PM

Mund

He never left

😉

• Uncertain Toon/World

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:13 PM

Magscar,

Aye mate, folk don’t bother sharing info anymore whether reliable or not with the fear of being immediately shouted at and cancelled.

The ITK stuff used to create some good discussion.

The bloke that worked at the airport was quite funny!

• toon22

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:14 PM

Carson

Lets see what happens there
    Im sure its all above board
    Why wouldnt it be ?

• Regan

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:14 PM

I had a pair of Dunlop trainers when I was younger…
    Had to get rid as the soles were too thin..

I could stand on a five pence piece and tell you if it was heads or tails..

• toon22

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:15 PM

Id guess we dont get as much of it is due to the way the clubs run
    Its been shocking bad
    We scout players to make money on

That and the fact we cant compete with championship clubs sometimes
    Most stories are now simply brushed aside as utter twaddle
    Arnt they

Why bother posting ?

• magicmac54

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:16 PM

Hibbit

I take it your on the devils buttermilk tonight celebrating your big day mate the big 50 😀 😀 😀 go for it lad never mind the headache in the morning Top Man. HWTL

• toon22

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:16 PM

Regan

Trademark tat from the master
    He operates that way
    He only need to sell em once

• Uncertain Toon/World

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:16 PM

Regan,

When you get through to Gary Lineker as him about the Prawn Cocktail Quavers as well please pal

• magscar

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:17 PM

There has been a lot of speculation over the years about Toon 22 –

– is he a spotty teenager riling folk up

– is he a Bot

– is it a team not an individual – posting style changes sometimes when responding i.e. more in the moment and to the point rather than cut and paste the same old lines

However he has been around long before he started this shill paranoia and used to post reasonable comments but then had a vision and became vigilante

I give up reading most posts of his long ago unless another brings up the PR accusations like today and regrettably i get drawn back into it all against my better judgement

• geordietom

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:18 PM

Devil’s buttermilk (English)
    Origin & history
    Devil + buttermilk
    Noun
    Devil’s buttermilk (uncountable)
    (informal) Whiskey.
    11 May 2005, Ian Paisley, House of Commons Hansard Debates, Hansard:
    I am glad that you, Mr. Speaker, are in a minority, because we both refrain from indulging in the stronger waters—or the Devil’s buttermilk, as I sometimes call it.

• Pit yacker

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:18 PM

Hi, hope all are well / weather not as rubbish as expecting
    Toon22 has always been consistent and whether you agree with him or not he loves the toon and hates the owner
    Mund similarly loves the toon and hates the owner
    Not much for you two to fall out about
    We just need 3 points, a new manager and new owner – one day please

• hibbit

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:19 PM

sorry magscar it’s very naive to dismiss it out of hand when dealing with an unscrupulous character like Ashley none of us can say with 100%certainty that pr are not at work on here or indeed not,

the big difference between the 2 blogs this one and biffa is this one has the most used and well read nufc forum in the world the other doesn’t ,
    and the proof of that is in the counter at the top on the hope page,
    hope you enjoy your night i’ll back tomorrow

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:19 PM

Ashley normally buys the best of the best for himself and I’ve got to say this PR he supposedly has on the blog are rubbish

• geordietom

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:20 PM

A while ago a friend who is a frequent reader here asked me to see if I could find the origin of the expression “the Devil’s Buttermilk” as a euphemism for alcoholic beverages. His hunch was that the man it is usually attributed to – Rev Ian Paisley – might not have been the originator, and that perhaps a similar figure from a former time, a W.P. Nicholson, a Billy Sunday, a D.L. Moody, might have been the one to coin the phrase.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:20 PM

I’m firmly in the NY Mag camp on PR, I have yet to see anything like proof provided to validate the assertions that there are.

Still if it makes toon22 happy to continue on his magic carpet ride, then let him carry on, I for one usually just skip his posts on the theme.

I do read his sensible ones, usually anyway!

• Regan

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:21 PM

Uncertain. .
    Having trouble getting through due to the bank holiday mate..

But rest assured. .I will badger them..

Like a few on here..they’ll wish they’d never heard the name Regan..

• toon22

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:22 PM

Mund

You know him personally ?
    Are impressed with his spending habits ?

Name him in a favorable way even

You think im going to say anything but negative things about them ?
    Really

• magscar

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:22 PM

Uncertain

Too right can’t recall his name and my database is a bit overun at moment with my felow shills hogging it so can’t get in

hibbit mentioned the Jesmond Hotel guy the other day and he was often right

Transfer Sage and Jayphoto also had interesting snippets and chat

Halcyon days when the Blog was The Blog

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:22 PM

Pit Yacker

That’s the frustrating thing for me on here and Twitter and other platforms is that we are taking it all out on each other and it’s IMO stupid as United we are stronger. We all want Ashley out that is the mission for every single Newcastle United fan. I can’t imagine one fan is happy with the situation so we can all agree on that and we can all agree we just want to have our club back and be born again. I suppose as tensions are high it’s easy to bite at situations as it’s so depressing.

• toon22

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:22 PM

Its never the turds fault

• geordietom

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:26 PM

tonn22 keeps saying you cant polish a turd , well i beg to differ have you ever heard of Coprolites …

Coprolites are the fossilised faeces of animals that lived millions of years ago. They are trace fossils, meaning not of the animal’s actual body. A coprolite like this can give scientists clues about an animal’s diet.

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:26 PM

You honestly just read and see what you want don’t you 22? This club means nothing to Ashley that’s a fact we all know but in his life he surrounds himself around the best in the business and I agree there has been PR but my perception of that is the power in the media and what he can get out there. Control the media control the world. We know this since the KK fiasco when the club admitted that and that’s been a common theme since which I can see through easily now and not just with our club but with media in general. IMO There is no PR on the blog and if they are they are crap

• Tackle from behind

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:27 PM

Undisclosed Payments

He was a good poster, haven’t seen him on for a while.

• Tackle from behind

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:29 PM

Fact

it is possible to chrome plate a turd – and therefore it follows that you can polish a turd.

• Carson80

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:30 PM

Toon22 how is Anna by the way, I tell you what mate she’s not half bad considering she comes from Mike’s gene pool.
    Reminds me of that Disney film
    The Princess and the Frog.

• magscar

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:35 PM

hibbit

i will thanks and you yours 🙂

Not looking to fall out over this in slightest but essentially I can’t see why the number of hits on the Blog are relevant in terms of what and who is Ashley trying to influence with any PR

Not ST sales not his ownership and not the manager – failing on all counts

Surely PR stands or falls by it’s success and there has never been any obviuos ones on here

My involvement in this is not actually whether there is or isn’t as it’s a moot point but basically who are these posters Toon 2 goes on about and hides behind – but i told you all this years ago so just look it up as I cba

hey ho wish he felt the same about all the other imformation he likes to regale us with daily

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:35 PM

Carson80,
    Still don’t know what it is I’m looking at, is Jamie Ruben liking a post being classed as a message of hope? If so then that’s really clutching at straws and shows there is very little hope left.

• Regan

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:37 PM

There’s a few frontrunners for word of the day..

Wor has his work cut out tonight mind..

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:40 PM

From the Chronicle
    ”We asked in response whether it was time for the consortium to send a message and it says much about the strange world of Newcastle that on Thursday night it arrived – in a very modern way.

It was far from proof of any dramatic development in the long-running saga but Jamie Reuben – son of the Reuben brothers and one of the key drivers in the takeover consortium, who was primed to play a major role in the buy out – “liked” three Newcastle related Tweets to offer some evidence that interest endures”

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:40 PM

Carson

Do you have any spare straws?

• Carson80

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:41 PM

Jail
    THE GREATEST TAKEOVER EVER OF NEWCASTLE UNITED COMING TO A TOWN NEAR YOU THIS SUMMER.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:41 PM

A question for coaches on the blog, I spotted a Barnsley player on a fixed training bike, do you think that a good idea, I know it’s used in a lot a sports for warm up purposes.

I assume it’s an instigation by Valerien Ismael who looks like one hell of a coach.

Until the unwanted faece is gone I don’t suppose the club will even use a council wheelbarrow!

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:41 PM

magscar

I think you have been spot on with your posts :thumb up thingy:

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:42 PM

I think perfidious is very apt from todays revelations 😮

• Carson80

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:42 PM

Mund
    Only paper ones mate, gotta think about the environment.
    😉

• magscar

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:43 PM

NY Mag

When you come back on after your meetings please don’t tickle the frog – I should know better and I’m getting grief from Wor Lass about posting so much today

Good job she is unaware of how lame and pointless it all is 🙂

Have a good Easter

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:43 PM

Carson80,
    That would be nice and would certainly lift the gloom of spending another year in the championship.

• Mund

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:44 PM

Carson

Respect mate I can get involved in that I’ll send you my address :thumb up thingy:

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:48 PM

The two brothers from other mothers can get together in the summer yay. It’ll be like Will Ferrell and Jon C Reilly, I hope they video it 😀